Profile for W. G. Farquhar > Reviews

W. G. Farquhar (Roebuck)

Brateck Two Pole Projector Ceiling/Wall Mount - Black
Brateck Two Pole Projector Ceiling/Wall Mount - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I used this with my BenQ W1070 projector, 25 April 2014
I used this mount with my BenQ W1070 projector, although I made a slight modification by removing one of the four legs.
This was because the BenQ projector only has 3 screw holes for mounting points.
At first it looked like it was not going to be possible to arrange the feet in such a way that they would reach all the mounting points on the projector, but it is just possible with a bit of trial and error in the various adjustments.

I bought this mount so that it would be able to hang far enough down from the ceiling for the projector lens not to be obscured by a large RSJ (Rolled Steel Joist). The length is not adjustable, but the kit comes with both a long and a short pole, and you have the choice of which to fit.

The ball-joint at the connection between the feet and the pole allows a large range of motion. It can be swiveled 360 degrees left and right and allows a significant amount of movement up and down, largely depending on the bulk of your projector and at what point its chassis will come into contact with the pole itself.

Depending on the distance from the screen, small motions can have a large effect on the position of the resultant image. Sometimes a bit of patience is required to get it in just the right place. Usually, once it is set it will not need to be moved again however, and once the thumbscrew is tightened up, it retains its position.

See the attached pictures which illustrate how the BenQ W1070 was mounted with this Brateck ceiling mount.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars I see no evidence in the picture quality of remastering having been done, 25 Feb. 2014
I see no evidence that the picture has been remastered in this box set.
I have been watching series four so far, and all episodes are still very evidently interlaced, and show all the image artifacts that interlacing brings.
I am aware that this is how the series would have been aired. That aside however, there is nothing about the picture quality that seems enhanced or improved over any other showing I've seen of this series.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2014 7:11 PM GMT

Caddyshack [Blu-ray] [1980] [Region Free]
Caddyshack [Blu-ray] [1980] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chevy Chase

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray review, 2 Nov. 2013
Blu-ray video quality: In standard 16:9 widescreen, for almost exactly the first six minutes, the picture quality is quite blurry until it suddenly improves just after the first scene on the golf course where Chevy Chase and Michael O'Keefe walk down the hill past the camera, and the scene cuts to a new camera angle. After this, the picture quality remains consistently good for the rest of the film. Of course this is subjective and relative to expectations. It should be borne in mind that this is not a film that would have placed heavy emphasis on the cinematography in the first place.

Blu-ray audio quality: The audio track is 5.1 DTS-HD which is clear but doesn't seem to make any use of the surround channels. That's not surprising though, as the original would have been stereo anyway. The only thing worth mentioning is that when Rodney Dangerfield's character turns on the golf bag radio, the music volume is way higher than the volume of everything else on the Blu-Ray. It's almost definitely intentional, but it's a shock how loud it is in comparison if you have your amplifier on at cinema level already!

Extras on the Blu-ray: Behind the Story has two documentaries, the first an hour and 20 minutes made in 2009 in HD, called The Inside Story. It's a bit like "Behind The Music" where cast and crew talk about the ups and downs during the making of the movie. The other, called The 19th Hole, is 30 mins of a similar thing made in 1999 in SD, and which includes Chevy Chase among the talking heads.

Brief film review: The New York Times called this film "an amiable mess" when it was released, and they were right. It is a bit of a mess as far as the story goes, as much as there is one. Even Harold Ramis (the director) agrees. However, it is a likeable film, and I love Chevy Chase and Bill Murray. It was a film that attempted to replicate the success of Animal House, and helped to cement the idea of certain character stereotypes (Rodney Dangerfield's, but especially Ted Knight's) in popular culture that subsequent comedies have been able to make reference to and take it for granted that everyone understands.
Caddyshack [Blu-ray] [1980] [Region Free] [NTSC]

Good Luck Chuck [Blu-ray]
Good Luck Chuck [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Dane Cook
Offered by Not2day Media

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray review, 10 Aug. 2013
Blu-ray video quality: Unimpressive overall and quite poor in some parts. Can't imagine this is any improvement over the DVD.

Blu-ray audio quality: 7.1 uncompressed and 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX English audio tracks available. Nothing to complain about with the audio, yet it does not seem that the surround channels were used to any great effect. This film does have a good music soundtrack though, particularly the song You Might Think by The Cars.

Brief film review: A comedy to watch once only. Quite amusing in parts, but often contrived and formulaic, and sometimes toe-curlingly cringeworthy.
Good Luck Chuck (Blu-Ray)

A Film with Me in It
A Film with Me in It
Dvd ~ Keith Allen
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this film, but was very disappointed., 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: A Film with Me in It (DVD)
This film is about two aimless and out-of-work actors/scriptwriters who live in a dingy flat and drink a lot (as fits Dylan Moran's stage persona). It almost sounds like this could be another Withnail and I, but that's where the similarity ends.

A sequence of tragic events occurs, which is so unlikely that if it were dramatic fiction, it would read as unbelievable and contrived. The punchline of this film seems to be that they ultimately go on to make a major film based on a script that they write about these events. The actors who then play the characters in the "film within the film" complain that the script is nonsense and that the audience won't be able to suspend disbelief.

This attempt to be clever by being self-referential would only work if the film was actually credible on some level. To me, it comes across as an implicit admission that the scriptwriter of the film itself is saying to the audience "I know that this script is badly written and that the humour is contrived, but because I refer to that by way of a clichéd plot-device, this negates any possible criticisms".

As I said in my review title, I wanted to like this film, so I certainly didn't set out to give this film a bad review. I find Dylan Moran very funny, and I really enjoyed the film "The Actors" (with Michael Caine). In fact it's one of my favourite films. I also appreciate David O'Doherty's dead-pan delivery in his stage act. By the same token, I don't think I was expecting too much from this film either. I hadn't heard much hype about it, and I was just keen to see any film with Dylan Moran in it.

In the end, speaking as objectively as anyone can, I think it's just not a good film, caused mainly by a poor script.

The Very Best Of The Beach Boys
The Very Best Of The Beach Boys

1.0 out of 5 stars Harsh sounding remastering, 12 Sept. 2011
I've bought lots of things from Amazon over several years, but this is my first review. It's not a review of the music itself, which is of course excellent, but a review of this download version. I gave this album download a 1-star rating because I was very disappointed with the sound quality of this particular remastering.

I'm going to have to source these songs elsewhere because these remasterings of the the songs have a harshness to them which I suspect is due to an over-amplification of the tracks. To my ears, this has caused distortion on the higher notes and louder sections of the songs. I am guessing that this is due to the clipping effect which occurs when sound engineers use over-enthusiastic values for track normalisation (thinking that louder equals better) which does bring up quieter sections of a track, but pushes the louder sections too high into distortion. Wiki: Clipping, Track Normalisation and "The Loudness War".

I suppose I won't be surprised if some people take offense to this, but please try not to get emotional if you disagree or think I'm wrong. As I said, this is not a review of the Beach Boys or their songs, but of this particular mastering.

Maybe some will think that the fault lies with my listening equipment, but I have done my best to rule this out. I have listened to these tracks on Altec Lansing, Harmon Kardon, and Logitech computer speakers, on my car's JVC stereo, and on my home hifi with SPDIF optical connection from a net-top computer to a Pioneer amp with (UK-manufactured) Mission speakers. Everything else in my collection sounds great on this hifi to my ears.

Compare for yourself the difference between "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from this collection and the one on Youtube uploaded by by z28jimmyz28 on Jan 31, 2009. To my ears, the version on Youtube doesn't have the same harshness at the upper notes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2011 1:03 PM BST