Profile for Mr. J. A. Baker > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. A. Baker

Mr. J. A. Baker

Page: 1 | 2
End of Life Angels:True Stories that Conquer the Fear of Dying and Instill Faith in Life after Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb!, 30 Dec. 2013
What a wonderful, gentle book.

Goes into the differences between the "brutality" of the crash teams and the gentleness of the hospice care system.

Highly recommended.

AmazonBasics AAA NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries 12 Pack 800 mAh
AmazonBasics AAA NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries 12 Pack 800 mAh

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed., 30 Dec. 2013
I ordered the pre-charged batteries so that I would avoid the need to go through the charging/discharging process with my DECT phones.

When the batteries arrived, 30th December 2013, they were dated as manufactured March 2013.
When I put them in the phones they registered such a low state of charge that they would not locate the base station until I had charged them.
This completely negated the point of having pre-charged batteries, and I suppose I now need to go through the normal process of charging/discharging them as if they had been non-pre-charged batteries.

Not at all impressed as the specification states that after a year they should hold 80% of their charge. This is clearly not the case.

Not recommended.

Siemens Gigaset S685 IP Quad Digital Cordless Phone
Siemens Gigaset S685 IP Quad Digital Cordless Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 28 Nov. 2013
A wonderful DECT phone that you can also use for VOIP calls once you are registered with a VOIP provider. This permits up to three incoming calls at the same time.
Different ring tones can be configured for different incoming numbers, and each phone can have its own set of stored numbers.
A very powerful phone system, much too much to cover here, and it can have up to six handsets.

The only minor gripe is the speed of the computer interace. It is so slooooow! So to program it takes a little time.

Over all it works very well and I would not be without it.

Highly recommended if you want to make VOIP calls.

Draper 18937 Drill-Powered Pump
Draper 18937 Drill-Powered Pump

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the effort., 28 Nov. 2013
I needed to pump out salty water from a very heavy container.
No matter what I tried I never got this thing to pump.
I went back over the instructions time and time again, but it just never worked.

A waste of money.

Not recommended.

De'Longhi HVF3033MD Vertical Upright Fan Heater - 3 Kilowatt
De'Longhi HVF3033MD Vertical Upright Fan Heater - 3 Kilowatt
Offered by Audio Electrical

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad but not that good., 28 Nov. 2013
I wanted a portable heater that I could use anywhere instead of putting on the central heating.
This heater is really quite noisy, though it does heat up quickly.
The thing that lets it down badly is the very poor thermostat. It is impossible to set it so that it maintains a set temperature.
The range between it turning off and then turning back on again is too large to be either acceptable or comfortable. I find myself either too hot or too cold no matter how I adjust it.

So all in all not recommended.

LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free
LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb phone., 28 Nov. 2013
What can I say? This phone is just plain excellent.
Being a Google phone it has none of the "bloatware" that most suppliers load on.
You can also root it very easily and install superuser utilities.
It was a bit large when I first upgraded from a Desire-S but now I find it no problem at all. In fact, though it is larger it is only a fraction heavier than the Desire.
I have had no problems at all and as of today it has been updated over the air to KitKat and everything is fine.
Compared with similar (better?) phones the price is excellent.
I recommend this phone with no reservations at all.

Krusell Luna Mobile Pouch Red 3XL, 95388
Krusell Luna Mobile Pouch Red 3XL, 95388

5.0 out of 5 stars A touch of luxury., 28 Nov. 2013
I love this pouch.
Everything about it is right.
The colour is perfect.
The material is perfect.
The fit is ideal - I have a Nexus 4 and it fits perfectly. (For the first few uses it was a little tight).
The liner is soft and gentle on my phone.

I recommend this pouch with no reservations.

Samsung HM1700 Bluetooth Headset - Black
Samsung HM1700 Bluetooth Headset - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that good., 28 Nov. 2013
I bought this to replace a very old Jabra device, and I have to say I am disappointed.
The main problem is that the voice recognition is pretty poor, and for some reason it has great difficulty in recognising the number "two". Things get even worse when you are driving and it has a poor (if any) noise cancellation system.
The second problem is that it often just goes off on its own and asks for a ten digit number, and I have no idea what it is wanting. One time after this happened I found I had made a four minute call to a number in California, which did not best please me.

So over all quite a disappointing device. I have to say it is nowhere near the performance of the old Jabra.

Given the problems I am having with mine I really wouldn't recommend it. A very frustrating device to say the least.

CRYSTALUSION Liquid Glass
CRYSTALUSION Liquid Glass
Offered by Mobitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, 28 Nov. 2013
This is amazing stuff. I gave it a try because I didn't much fancy the alternative screen protectors for my Nexus 4 mobile phone.
It comes in a box and when you open it you get two sachets joined together. Is that all I get, I thought.
One sachet has a cloth that cleans the device and then after a few minutes drying you use the second cloth to apply the "magic" liquid to all surfaces of the device. It takes about two minutes. Then be sure to leave it to dry, preferably twelve hours.
The end result is just amazing. A perfectly smooth screen that feels silky and which does not show finger prints.
So far it is perfect and after some days of quite heavy use there are no signs at all that I have even touched the screen.
As I said at the top, unbelievable, but true. Compared with other screen savers it is cost effective too.
I would recommend this to anyone who wants to protect their mobile from finger marks and scratches. Doubtless it would also work well on any similar glass surface too.
Give it a go. It works!

Expository Thoughts on the Gospels: The Book of Luke [Fully Formatted and Optimized]]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - recommended., 8 Jun. 2013
This book is an amazing lesson on St Luke's gospel.

The language is somewhat dated but very easy to read. The style over all is very gentle.
The insights to be found within its covers are just wonderful to read.

I now need to check on Amazon for other work by this author.

Highly recommended.