Profile for Clare > Reviews

Content by Clare

Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Heritage Sterling Silver and Rose Gold Plate Celtic Trio Knot Drop Earrings
Heritage Sterling Silver and Rose Gold Plate Celtic Trio Knot Drop Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and delicate, 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The picture made me think that these earrings would be larger but they are actually small and dainty - which I prefer. The come in a very large box (bracelet size) for the size of the earrings but the box looks expensive and would look nice if you're giving them as a gift.

The earring easily went into my ear, it doesn't have a plastic cap to stop them falling out but the hook end was long enough that this wasn't an issue for me.

The rose gold looks very pretty and I really like these earrings.

Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre
Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Easy and efficient, 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This blender looks very sleek and comes mostly put together. It's very easy to slot and twist to lock the jug of the blender into place. The jug comes marked in 'cups' which I found very helpful but this starts at 2 which was annoying and a little snub from a blender at being single! I made a strawberry and banana milkshake first in mine and it was exceedingly simple. Add the fruit, turn to the pulse a few times to mash it down, add milk then switch to the blending setting for maybe 30 seconds. It was very fast which for me is always a plus as if it's too much work I tend to not bother. It was easy to take apart again although removing the blade took a little more effort to twist off. The lid, jug and blade are all dishwasher proof which I love.

The jug has a small spout which was very handy to prevent spills when pouring my milkshake. I did find that the 2 'cups' that I made didn't fill 2 coffee mugs but it wasn't too far under.

The instructions were the worst part of this blender. It's the same set of instructions split into their different range of items and in picture form in multiple languages so I didn't find them particularly easy to use to find information, having said that there's not much you need to know from them.

I really like the look and ease of use with this blender. I'd definitely recommend.

Boxfresh Stern, Men Low-Top Sneakers, Blue (Navy/White), 9 UK (43 EU)
Boxfresh Stern, Men Low-Top Sneakers, Blue (Navy/White), 9 UK (43 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Waxed Canvas Trainers, 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are fairly stylish for canvas trainers and very lightweight. When measuring the sole against my other trainers they're the same size but when I put them on they seemed more generously sized. I tried wearing them when it was raining as the upper canvas is waxed and the waxing appeared to work effectively to keep my feet dry. They are very well made and finished and actually look very smart. The laces are waxed a reasonable length and never came undone which I have found to be a particularly annoying problem with cheaper laces.
I would say they are good quality and reasonably priced.

Braun Face SE80 Facial Epilator Replacement Cleansing Brushes - Pack of 2
Braun Face SE80 Facial Epilator Replacement Cleansing Brushes - Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely smooth skin, 30 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This pack is replacement heads for the cleaning brush part of Braun's facial epilator and cleaning brush. They are very easy to attach/remove with a simple button push ejecting the old head and a push to attach the new head.

The brush heads needs to be used with the epilator/brush, here are my review comments relevant to the brush part of the tool -
The cleaning head if fairly soft and rotate when turned on, you then just move it in circles gently around your face but not near your eyes or hairline. I used it with my cleansing gel and found it didn't lather up like it does on my hands. It did leave some areas of my face with a pink tinge so it's worth thinking about when you are going to use it. My face was lovely and smooth feeling after using it and I am prone to breakouts so I will definitely keep using it.

Braun Face 830 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Including Mirror and Beauty Pouch

4.0 out of 5 stars Eek out those hairs, 30 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This edition comes with the epilator, brush head, cleaning brush, lighted mirror and bag. The bag just happened to be my favourite colour purple and is ideal to fit all the pieces inside so you can easily move it around without losing pieces. The bag is spacious enough to have room to spare for things like tweezers etc which is helpful.

The epilator tool is a similiar length to a toothbrush but wider around the middle. It's easy to hold and not too heavy. The head is detatchable to allow you to choose either the epilator or cleaning brush head and it easily comes off with a tug. The brush head needs replacing periodically and there is a simple button to let you remove it. You have to buy extra brush heads they are not included.

I used the epilator on my eyebrows and upper lip. I normally use tweezers on my eyebrows and am a wimp with pain often not using my normal epilator on my legs as I find it too painful so I was pleasantly surprised to find it was no more painful than tweezers. It comes preloaded with a battery (that you can change yourself) so you can use it straight from the packet. You simply turn the head in the direction of your hair growth so it spins in the right way (left or right twist to turn it on.) I found it difficult at first as my hair seems to grow in multiple direction so I just guessed and went for it. It easily and quickly removed the hairs in the middle however I was a bit more apprehensive when I came close to my brow line as I have hairs that shoot out in directions that I don;t like but getting the epilator to them would have meant maybe plucking hairs I dind't want gone so I did have to go back to my tweezers for some of the hairs.

I normally shave my top lip as I hate pain. It was painful using the epilator on my top lip but not as bad as I would have expected and since it was only for a short period of time I found the pain more manageable than when I try doing large areas like my legs. My biggest issue was I found it hard to epilate to the contours of my face. You are supposed to pull your skin tight and then epilate but then I couldn't see the fine hairs. The lighted mirror is ideal for seeing those but needs a third hand. I wasn't as happy with the job I did on my lip and found it a lot more awkward. I'm persevering so far in the hopes I'll get better but might end up back with my razor.

The cleaning head if fairly soft and you turn the switch on them just move it in circles gently around your face but not near your eyes or hairline. I used it with my cleansing gel and found it didn't lather up like it does on my hands. It did leave some areas of my face with a pink tinge so it's worth thinking about when you are going to use it. My face was lovely and smooth feeling after using it and I am prone to breakouts so I will definitely keep using it.

The lighted mirror that comes with this is ideal for really showing up your hairs. I find it very useful. The light auto turns off after a couple of minutes if you forget which is useful.

If you are an epilating fan you'll probably really like this. I'm still on the fence about it's effectiveness for me as an epilator but it is well made and thought out.

Lexar Professional JumpDrive S55 128GB USB 3.0 (150MB/s) Antibacterial Surface Design Flash Drive Memory Stick - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars To like or not to like..., 30 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This USB is the length of my thumb and light-weight. It comes with a lid that slides up and down. I found mine easy to slide unlike some other reviewers, a bigger problem for me is that because it slides the top is completely open. I keep my USB in pockets which means small debris like tissue, food crumbs etc could easily end up in the opening and in my USB drive.

This USB works with USB 3.0, I had to check my device manager to find out if I even had 3.0 which it turns out I do. I decided to test it by copying my film folder. I was getting between 40-60MS/s write speeds and it copied my 20GB film folder in 5 mins which I was happy enough with. The 128GB size is good as I often end up running out of room with my smaller USB drives.

It comes pre-loaded wirh Encrypt Stick Lite software which gives standard AES encryption - you can upgrade to their full version for features like sync'ing across devices and cloud and military encryption. I actually like this as I can then put work files on it without worrying.

The USB drive for me isn't exactly eye-pleasing and whilst that has no bearing on it's functionality it is something that I do take into account when I buy USBs. That and the open lid are what made this only a 4 star product for me.

VAX Cordless Vacuum 2-in-1 Air Switch
VAX Cordless Vacuum 2-in-1 Air Switch

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, easily to manoevre but let down by short battery life., 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We are used to a corded hoover and the only other cordless I've tried just didnt have the suction power so I was a little uncertain when I tried this one. I was pleasantly suprised, it had good suction and cleans nicely. The downside of this good suction has to be the battery life of 12-15minutes, which just isnt enough. When I decide to hoover I want to be able to do all the house in one go, at a push I managed our 3 bedrooms and the stairs before the battery ran out. It then needs charging for 10 hours so is impossible to do an entire house. I looked at getting a spare battery but it costs almost as much as another hoover. The battery does have a button so you can check what power you have remaining (It will light up to 3 lights for full power) which seemed like a good idea but if charging takes so long and the whole battery only lasts a short time you really need the battery to be fully charged after every use, but I'm not sure that continually partially charging a battery is going to be great for its lifespan.

This hoover is really lightweight and simple to manoeuvre. One of my favourite features is because it’s so lightweight I can use it to clean the stairs without lots of bending over and stretching of hoses. The hoover is almost the exact width of our average sized stairs so I can go back and forth across each step and then use the nozzle tool to tidy the edges.

To be able to use the nozzle the middle section of the hoover is removed from the upright and becomes a handheld, which a nozzle is attached to. I do like this dual functionality and have found it great going around the edge of the room and also reaching ceiling corners for cobwebs. However I have found that because the handheld is rather round at its centre, even with the nozzle on there are a fair few places in our house that I just cant reach, that used to be cleaned perfectly with the hose and nozzle attachment as it was thinner.

Its on/off button is both at the top of the handle and on the hadheld portion. THis means I can turn on and off easily without any stooping down. With the same button I can also switch eaily between carpet and hard floors to get the right level for the brush bar.

The central portion is easy to empty and clean. I have tended to empty it half way through a clean so it doesnt lose suction, which I guess means I am emptying every 7 inutes which is a little often, but helps keep the hoover so compact

AmiGami Butterfly and Heart Punch
AmiGami Butterfly and Heart Punch

5.0 out of 5 stars A big fan!, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is recommended for 6+, I used it with 5 and 6 year olds who had also made the peacock from a different set. Each set has pre-cut shapes you can pop out (2 sheets). With the butterfly these are mainly wings and plume type shapes for antennae or just decoration.It also comes with a heart hole punch. The hole punch was very easy for them to use independently which was good as in the past I've sometimes found younger children struggle with some punches. Even after they'd finished the butterfly the punch has been used to decorate crowns and just punch hearts in paper. The set also has stickers (mainly eyes, hearts and flowers etc) to decorate the butterfly to personalise it. A sticker removal tool lets you lift away stickers. The sheet they came on wasn't really designed to put the stickers back on but you can remove them and restick them in a different place easily. The instructions say they can be reused 3 times. There is also a curling tool and coloured paper strips to make your own cute curls, their curls were looser than the ones I did but with a little help or practise children would be able to do tight curls without help.

The girls used the paper pieces and easily attached them using the pins and caps (plastic pins that you put the paper onto using pre-cut holes, you then put the flower shape cap on top to stop the paper coming off - you can put multiple pieces onto one pin.)
The butterfly body is a sturdy pink plastic piece with a movable head and 5 holes for decoration. The pins easily pushed into the butterfly and pulled out with minimal effort. There are 2 types of pin to allow paper to stand up in different directions, 3 normal pins and 3 for allowing paper to stand up like a wing/head piece.

The instructions are simple, picture and text making them easy to follow. This is a lovely craft that lets you personalise and change your butterfly. The girls really enjoyed it.

It currently costs £15 when you buy it with a punch which is a little expensive I think as without the punch the figures are around £6. Having said that the punches have become firm favs too and are very child friendly so it depends how much you are interested in the punches. These craft toys are reusable and you could make your own paper pieces to personalise it even more. At £6 I think they're a bargain that a crafty child will love!

The ease with which children can access this craft independently is definitely a bonus and I would recommend it, I'll probably be collecting some of the other figures now!

Philips Sonicare HX9351/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush Black
Philips Sonicare HX9351/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good clean - Bad noise!, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was impressed by how professional and sleek this looked coming out of the box. It has a very 'business like' feel to it.

Charger base - The charger base is larger than with previous electric toothbrushes I use because there is a glass which sits on top and you can just sit your toothbrush inside and it will charge without being directly plugged in. The glass is heavier than I expected and I don't really use it as a glass. I love that I can just drop my toothbrush stright in without having to line anything up/slot things in but I wouldn't say this feature was necessary/worth extra money.

Travel case - You also get a slim black travel case (about 2 inches longer than my hand) which holds your toothbrush and has space for 2 heads although only one is provided. You plug the case into your computer via usb or into the mains. The plug is 2 pin and does not come with an adapter. You have to charge it for 24 hours before use however the charge lasts really well, 2 weeks and it's still going strong. My only complaint about the travel case is that there is a small plastic cover for your toothbrush but the head won't fit in the travel case with it on. If I've just used my brush I'd like to be able to put the cover on before putting it into the travel case wet.

The Toothbrush - My first impression was that the head was smaller than I expected. It was also a different shape than with previous electric brushes I've used - more reminiscent of a normal toothbrush. It is sleek and black with a matte handle. When you turn it on you have 5 programs you can choose from - clean (standard mode), white (2 min 30 secs), polish (1 min), Gum care (clean plus an additional 1 min to stimulate gums) or sensitive an extra gentle mode. You're supposed to apply light pressure rather than scrubbing which I found difficult initially. The toothbrush has a quadpacer to beep and pause briefly to remind you to evenly do the 4 parts of your mouth. I found the toothbrush incredibly noisy and what I'm guessing is supposedly the 'beep' sounds like a malfunction sound to me, I kept thinking I was doing something wrong when I first used it. I did find that the toothbrush cleaned my teeth well and got into spaces that I've struggled with in the past however for me the noise is so loud and off putting that I'm not sure I want to keep using it.

A good clean and I like the different programs to best suit your cleaning needs, very pleasing look and design - shame about the noise.

AmiGami Peacock and Heart Punch
AmiGami Peacock and Heart Punch

5.0 out of 5 stars Girls loved it!, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
*My peacock came with a star punch as pictured above not a heart punch*

This is recommended for 6+, I gave it to a 6 year old and two 5 year olds to make. They easily popped out the pre-cut shapes and immediately began punching stars out of everything with the star hole punch. They found it easy to use independently which was good as in the past I've sometimes found younger children struggle with some punches. The enjoyed using the stickers (feathers, winky eyes, boa, flowers etc) to decorate the peacock in their own way. I tested the yellow sticker removal tool after they'd finished and the stickers easily lifted away. The sheet they came on wasn't really designed to put the stickers back on but you can remove them and restick them in a different place easily. The instructions say they can be reused 3 times. They used the curling tool to curl some of the long strips into cute curls, their curls were looser than the ones I did but with a little help or practise children would be able to do tight curls without help.

Once they'd got their chosen paper pieces ready they used the pins and caps (plastic pins that you put the paper onto using pre-cut holes, you then put the star shape cap on top to stop the paper coming off - you can put multiple pieces onto one pin.)
The peacock is a sturdy plastic body with a movable head and 5 holes for decoration. The pins easily pushed into the peacock and pulled out with minimal effort. There are 2 types of pin to allow paper to stand up in different directions. The description and instructions say it comes with 6 pins. This one came with 5 pins/caps - 3 normal pins and 2 for allowing paper to stand up like a fan/head piece. There are only 5 holes on the peacock so 5 pins makes sense.

The instructions are simple, picture and text making them easy to follow. This is a lovely craft that lets you personalise and change your peacock. The girls really enjoyed it and other girls who saw them making it were intrigued by it.

It currently costs £15 when you buy it with a punch which is a little expensive I think as without the punch the figures are around £6. I'd be tempted to buy them without the punches, these craft toys are reusable and you could make your own paper pieces to personalise it even more. At £6 I think they're a bargain that a crafty child will love!

The ease with which children can access this craft independently is definitely a bonus and I would recommend it.
Comment Comment | Permalink