Profile for Clare > Reviews

Content by Clare

Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Aqua Optima EVG201 Evolve Gold 90-day Water Filter, also fits Brita* Maxtra*,2 pack - 6 months' supply

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect longerlasting Maxtra alternative, 13 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I find it such a waste to wash through and then filter so much water each month for a new filter so liked the idea of one that lasted 3 months. We live in a hard water area and so have a brita one cup that filters so we dont get horrible bits in the bottom of the kettle.
It does mean its difficult to comment on how this works as the inside of the One Cup is hidden and there is no way to see how much limescales has built up. We didnt notice any taste difference when we swithed from Brita filters to this but we are mainly using in coffee so might not be as noticeable. The cartridge doesnt quite look as faultless as the maxtra but it seems to work fine.

Linksys SE4008 WRT Family 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Linksys SE4008 WRT Family 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and efficient speeds but large casing, 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose the LINKSYS WRT 8-port GIGABIT ethernet box in absence of their router, partly due to the competitive price and recommendations from previous purchasers. I needed fast internet connections throughout multiple locations in my house to which WIFI alone was not sufficient. As the product suggests, the ethernet box really does provide excellent LAN speeds, sufficient for gaming, downloading or watching/streaming videos across all of its 8 gigabit switches. I particularly like the feature that you can turn on and off the LEDs at the front so that you don't have to put up with the constant flickering of these lights during runtime.

The disadvantages of this product are minor but include a help desk that is only open Monday to Fridays; I only have free time at the weekends so this could have been an issue were it not for the simple set up needed and comprehensive instructions included. On the plus side, the help desk is open until 8pm on weekdays. The other disadvantage is the size of the product. This is designed to sit on top of the LINKSYS router however since I do not have the router I find it very large in size compared to the actual size of the technology within it. Despite these minor flaws, I would definitely recommend this product.

HALTI OptiFit
HALTI OptiFit

4.0 out of 5 stars Stops your dog from pulling without any effort., 28 Nov 2014
This review is from: HALTI OptiFit (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I liked this Halti as it does stop my 9 year old springer from pulling but she really doesn't like wearing it and will try rubbing her face on the ground to get the Halti off. It is easier to fit than my previous one; the padded band is placed over the dog's nose and then a strap clips behind their head. It also has a sliding clip under the muzzle which allows the Halti to be easily adjusted to fit the dog comfortably and there is also a small lead that clips onto the dog's collar. The sliding clip enables me to loosen the nose band enough to allow my dog to carry her ball in her mouth while walking to the park but still allows me to retain the required control over her. The instructions suggest getting your dog used to the Halti by initially offering treats to them through the nose band to get them used to the feel of it but as I had previously used an older designed one on mine she had already developed a dislike for them. I think this is well worth trying on a younger dog though.

BT 350 Digital Baby Monitor Lightshow
BT 350 Digital Baby Monitor Lightshow

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, disappointing light show, 6 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used an earlier version of this monitor for our oldest son we were very happy to get this one to use with our youngest son

Talk function- You can speak to your child without going in to their room. This is useful to reasssure your baby or to ask your toddler to get back into bed without going in and rewarding their behaviour with your presence. We were very happy to see that this button has been moved and is no longer pressed easily by accident. Great for games when they are older.

Torch- the parent unit has a torch that can be used to check on your child or look for something in their room without disturbing them. Its linked to the monitor so automatically turns off the volume on the parent unit when its on, designed so you can go and check on your child without the monitor waking them.

Music- lots of options that can be turned on on the parent unit or child unit. The child unit just has a play button so selecting which you want difficult but on the parent unit you can scroll through and decide which music you want. This is really good quality sound, so much better quality than the previous version- nice to listen to. Can have one track on repeat or varied. Can have on timer or on indefinitely. Includes white noise and lullabies.

Temperature- checks the temerature in baby's room, can be useful but we had to learn to ignore some of the warnings as it would often say in summer that it was too hot and we didn't agree.

Light show- This was the main reason we wanted to get a new monitor as our youngest is not a good sleeper and we are at the point of trying anything! However I was really disappointed. To start in order to get the show in focus it had to be fairly close to the ceiling and we dont have anything that we could rest it on. I had expected to be able to direct the show to over his cot so he could easily see it, instead we found included a round rubber ring in which to balance the whole monitor to direct where you want it to be pointed. To be honest they might as well have not bothered for all use it was- we couldn't direct it where we wanted even with the ring and I could see it being easily knocked off if we had been able to. The light show was a bit cartoonish and not what I would call moving. The show was two thirds of a circle which then faded out and when it reappeared it had rotated into the next two thirds of the circle. Like the music, it can be turned on from the baby or parent unit and can be left on or set on a timer using the parent unit. I didnt want him to become reliant on it for sleep but we have used it in the very early morning to try and prolong getting up time and it has only kept our one year old distracted once for about 15 minutes, the rest of the time he has ignored it and carried on crying.

Batteries- The parent unit can be used on batteries and charged overnight, only time will tell how good this one is, as our previous one the battery life turned out to be very short. Unfortunately the baby unit can only be used whilst plugged in, which can be a problem if you are looking for a safe place to put the unit where it can project the light show whilst also not leaving unsafe cables trailing around.

Mute- you can mute the monitor completely (ideal if one of you is up dealing and the other doesnt want to be disturbed, or you dont want all your dinner party listening to the bedtime story) but it can be set to give you a crying alert (either on screen, beeping or vibrating)

Page button- i think this is designed to be used to find the parent unit if you have put it down somewhere but it only works if the parent unit is on so it is a bt limited in that respect, however we have found it to be brilliant to call the second parent into the room if you want some help without disturbing your child too much with loud voices

Link light- Light on both the baby and parent unit confirming its linked. The parent unit will also sound if its not linked, either because the baby unit is off or too far away. It also sounds when you have low battery.

Sound quality- excellent, can hear him really clearly, transmits all the time, we used a montior before that cut in and out with noise and it was really annoying. If you dont want to hear it all the time then you can use the mute low button as above.

Overall I would definitely buy this for the monitor but not for the light show

Lenovo IdeaTab A7-50 7-inch Tablet (Midnight Blue) - (MediaTek MTK 8121 1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB Memory, WLAN, Camera, Android 4.2)
Offered by SMN TRONICS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great place to start, 2 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good entry level tablet. Mine came with half charge letting me use it straight away which is always a plus.

Operating system - As soon as I turned the tablet on it took me through setting up my wifi then updated the operating system to Kitkat 4.4.2

Apps - It comes pre loaded with quite a few apps including apps to read pdf\office files and lots of google apps. There were quite a few I didn't want\need but these were easily deleted. There is no app section like on my phone however it was easy to organise the apps on different screens and to make folders of like purposed apps.

Connecting - This tablet is wifi only however Lenovo do other versions which have sim card slots\3G. If you have a decent smartphone allowance you can tether your tablet to your phone as a portable hotspot. This tablet has a micro USB for charging and a detatchable USB plug so that you can charge from mains or computers. This tablet hasn't got HDMI capabilities which is a shame.

Cameras - It has front and back facing cameras. The back camera is better quality than the front but I was still happy with the quality of the picture and it was a clear enough when Skyping my family. I'm used to using my phone camera which hss a flash so didn't realise that most tablets don't have a flash as a feature with their cameras. The picture quality when watching video\film is crisp and very watchable.

Sound - The system volume alerts are quiet loud however when I watch videos I felt the volume didn't quite go loud enough especially if there's any background noise.

Battery Life - the battery lasted well even when I was streaming video for several hours. The tablet has an endurance mode for when you want to maximise your battery life.

Size\weight - The tablet fits perfectly in my hand and whilst I can feel the weight of it isn't heavy enough to be an issue.

I am really enjoying my tablet and for the cost and as a first tablet I think it does everything I need.

Flexable 1500mg Sustained Release Glucosamine Tablets - Pack of 30 Tablets
Flexable 1500mg Sustained Release Glucosamine Tablets - Pack of 30 Tablets

3.0 out of 5 stars Ambivilent, 2 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally take glucosamine sulphate 1500mg as I suffer from some joint pain and am fairly active sportwise so want to be proactive in maintaining my health. These slow release tablets were bigger than I'm used to but I swallowed them with food without difficulty. I didn't notice any discernible different when using these slow release tablets. That's not to say they don't have an effect but when I consider how much more expensive these are I'm going to stick with my original tablets.

Fairy Princess Face Paints
Fairy Princess Face Paints

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice set for giving kids a go, 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fairy Princess Face Paints (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a set which contains 6 pastel colours - white, turquoise, seafoam green, pale pink, bright pink and a blue-y purple. It has a brush, small well for water, small circular sponge, very small pot of glitter glue and a sheet of stickers for use on your face with your design.

The first thing I noticed was the brush. I do face painting at our school fayre/events and normally use Snazaroo paints and brushes, the brush in this set is the same you'd get if you got a cheap painting set for painting on paper. It isn't going to allow any kind of detailed face paint design. It did work and paint a butterfly and heart on my face but you would definitely need a finer brush too for any kind of outlining.

The paints had water marks on a couple when they arrived and these don't look too appealing for use, the ones without marks looked fine. The paint took a fair bit of water/rubbing to get enough on the brush but it did work to paint pictures on my cheeks. It is a shame their wasn't a black as sometimes you need that dark colour to ofset the paler colours - I found the pale pink didn't show up well on my skin colour and an outline would have helped that (although you could outline with another colour.) I really liked the blue/turquoise shades in the kit.

The glitter was pretty and easy to use, I would have like a little more as it will run out much before the paints. The sticks are on a clear transparency and easily peel off/stick on. I stuck one on my hand as I didn't want to test on my face and it was easy to catch the edge and unpeel and although it lost stickiness was easy to remove and reposition.

Overall I think this set is good for a one off small party, chance for kids to face paint for themselves but I wouldn't use it for any bigger party groups as I don't think there is a big enough range of colours and in future I think I'd stick to my Snazaroo paints however they can be expensive and as a small starter kit this is a nice chance to see what you think of using face paints.

GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small
GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Passed the dog test!, 4 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the size of the tin and it's very handy to be able to reseal the dog treats. Much better than treats that come in a bag which always break. The tin is a good size for taking along on a walk or a trip and fits in my jacket pocket.

The treats pass the dog test. I used them as treats and she came running when she saw the tin and did tricks to get given one and came back for more.

Make Your Own Lip Balm
Make Your Own Lip Balm

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but limited, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Make Your Own Lip Balm (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a little disappointed in the craft aspect of this set as it's not actually about making lip balm. It's about colouring it and putting it in tubs. This set comes with a strawberry lip balm already pre-made so you can't choose the scent of your lip balm. Don't get me wrong the strawberry scent is nice but it does mean that all you have to do is scoop some of the lip balm into the mixing tub, add drips of colouring and shimmer powder if you want to and then mix. That's pretty much all there is to the 'make your own lip balm' aspect of it.

The dye is very bright in colour (red/pinky, blue, yellow) however it does make some very pretty shades when mixed. I made a lovely paler purple. The dye bottles were good as they required a firm squeeze to get the drips of dye out which is ideal to avoid spillages.

The set comes with 3 ice cream/lolly shaped lip balm cases. These are fairly small. Once you've mixed your balm you can put it in the case for future use. The more dye you add to make your colour the runnier the balm becomes, refrigerating it does set it for you if you prefer it firmer. It's esy to mix but can be trickier to scoop into the cases, especially the lolly mould with 3 smaller strips. Younger children would need supervision. There are stickers you can put on the lip balm cases if you want to decorate it.

I found I hadn't used much of my base and my 3 cases were full. You can leave the left over balm in the fridge and the instructions say lip balm is okay for a year so you could make more but it's a shame with the amount of balm you get you can only make 3 lip balms at a time (unless you can find other containers which would work with it).

**warning - it does recommend skin testing before use.** I've never had a reaction before so didn't bother but I did find it made my mouth uncomfortably tingly so if you have sensitive skin I would make sure you do the test first.

I love the idea of this set but wish it would let you make scent/flavour choices too or melt/mix up your own balm.

Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent
Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and quick to assemble, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a carry bag with a matching ladybird pattern/face. It is surprisingly light and small when packed away. When you take it out of the bag you have the tent and 2 elasticated snap together poles. The poles quickly snap together and thread through the tent. My poles did get stuck on the seams a few times whilst threading but were easy to unhook and thread through. The end of each pole has a rounded end which goes into a tightly woven black tab at the bottom corner. It literally took 3 minutes to put up and ready.

This tent is a really nice size and several children can sit and play in it comfortably. I've been using it indoors as a den. The ladybird face is padded and easily rolls up and has 2 ties to keep it open. There is a fixed ground sheet for the floor and at the back it has a small window which can be opened and tied from the outside. The top of the tent has a mesh sky light and there is a yellow square you can attach with hooks to black cords on each main seam.

This tent is so easy to put up and pack away it is an ideal den!

The tent doesn't have any way to attach it to the ground outside so when it's empty it can be blown by strong winds. The material says it's waterproof but it hasn't been raining here to test that out. I'm not sure I'd want to let the children sleep outside in this tent but it is perfect for an indoors tent/den.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20