Profile for Clare > Reviews

Content by Clare

Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BT 350 Digital Baby Monitor Lightshow
BT 350 Digital Baby Monitor Lightshow

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, disappointing light show, 6 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used an earlier version of this monitor for our oldest son we were very happy to get this one to use with our youngest son

Talk function- You can speak to your child without going in to their room. This is useful to reasssure your baby or to ask your toddler to get back into bed without going in and rewarding their behaviour with your presence. We were very happy to see that this button has been moved and is no longer pressed easily by accident. Great for games when they are older.

Torch- the parent unit has a torch that can be used to check on your child or look for something in their room without disturbing them. Its linked to the monitor so automatically turns off the volume on the parent unit when its on, designed so you can go and check on your child without the monitor waking them.

Music- lots of options that can be turned on on the parent unit or child unit. The child unit just has a play button so selecting which you want difficult but on the parent unit you can scroll through and decide which music you want. This is really good quality sound, so much better quality than the previous version- nice to listen to. Can have one track on repeat or varied. Can have on timer or on indefinitely. Includes white noise and lullabies.

Temperature- checks the temerature in baby's room, can be useful but we had to learn to ignore some of the warnings as it would often say in summer that it was too hot and we didn't agree.

Light show- This was the main reason we wanted to get a new monitor as our youngest is not a good sleeper and we are at the point of trying anything! However I was really disappointed. To start in order to get the show in focus it had to be fairly close to the ceiling and we dont have anything that we could rest it on. I had expected to be able to direct the show to over his cot so he could easily see it, instead we found included a round rubber ring in which to balance the whole monitor to direct where you want it to be pointed. To be honest they might as well have not bothered for all use it was- we couldn't direct it where we wanted even with the ring and I could see it being easily knocked off if we had been able to. The light show was a bit cartoonish and not what I would call moving. The show was two thirds of a circle which then faded out and when it reappeared it had rotated into the next two thirds of the circle. Like the music, it can be turned on from the baby or parent unit and can be left on or set on a timer using the parent unit. I didnt want him to become reliant on it for sleep but we have used it in the very early morning to try and prolong getting up time and it has only kept our one year old distracted once for about 15 minutes, the rest of the time he has ignored it and carried on crying.

Batteries- The parent unit can be used on batteries and charged overnight, only time will tell how good this one is, as our previous one the battery life turned out to be very short. Unfortunately the baby unit can only be used whilst plugged in, which can be a problem if you are looking for a safe place to put the unit where it can project the light show whilst also not leaving unsafe cables trailing around.

Mute- you can mute the monitor completely (ideal if one of you is up dealing and the other doesnt want to be disturbed, or you dont want all your dinner party listening to the bedtime story) but it can be set to give you a crying alert (either on screen, beeping or vibrating)

Page button- i think this is designed to be used to find the parent unit if you have put it down somewhere but it only works if the parent unit is on so it is a bt limited in that respect, however we have found it to be brilliant to call the second parent into the room if you want some help without disturbing your child too much with loud voices

Link light- Light on both the baby and parent unit confirming its linked. The parent unit will also sound if its not linked, either because the baby unit is off or too far away. It also sounds when you have low battery.

Sound quality- excellent, can hear him really clearly, transmits all the time, we used a montior before that cut in and out with noise and it was really annoying. If you dont want to hear it all the time then you can use the mute low button as above.

Overall I would definitely buy this for the monitor but not for the light show

Lenovo IdeaTab A7-50 7-inch Tablet (Midnight Blue) - (MediaTek MTK 8121 1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB Memory, WLAN, Camera, Android 4.2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great place to start, 2 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good entry level tablet. Mine came with half charge letting me use it straight away which is always a plus.

Operating system - As soon as I turned the tablet on it took me through setting up my wifi then updated the operating system to Kitkat 4.4.2

Apps - It comes pre loaded with quite a few apps including apps to read pdf\office files and lots of google apps. There were quite a few I didn't want\need but these were easily deleted. There is no app section like on my phone however it was easy to organise the apps on different screens and to make folders of like purposed apps.

Connecting - This tablet is wifi only however Lenovo do other versions which have sim card slots\3G. If you have a decent smartphone allowance you can tether your tablet to your phone as a portable hotspot. This tablet has a micro USB for charging and a detatchable USB plug so that you can charge from mains or computers. This tablet hasn't got HDMI capabilities which is a shame.

Cameras - It has front and back facing cameras. The back camera is better quality than the front but I was still happy with the quality of the picture and it was a clear enough when Skyping my family. I'm used to using my phone camera which hss a flash so didn't realise that most tablets don't have a flash as a feature with their cameras. The picture quality when watching video\film is crisp and very watchable.

Sound - The system volume alerts are quiet loud however when I watch videos I felt the volume didn't quite go loud enough especially if there's any background noise.

Battery Life - the battery lasted well even when I was streaming video for several hours. The tablet has an endurance mode for when you want to maximise your battery life.

Size\weight - The tablet fits perfectly in my hand and whilst I can feel the weight of it isn't heavy enough to be an issue.

I am really enjoying my tablet and for the cost and as a first tablet I think it does everything I need.

Flexable 1500mg Sustained Release Glucosamine Tablets - Pack of 30 Tablets
Flexable 1500mg Sustained Release Glucosamine Tablets - Pack of 30 Tablets

3.0 out of 5 stars Ambivilent, 2 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally take glucosamine sulphate 1500mg as I suffer from some joint pain and am fairly active sportwise so want to be proactive in maintaining my health. These slow release tablets were bigger than I'm used to but I swallowed them with food without difficulty. I didn't notice any discernible different when using these slow release tablets. That's not to say they don't have an effect but when I consider how much more expensive these are I'm going to stick with my original tablets.

Fairy Princess Face Paints
Fairy Princess Face Paints

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice set for giving kids a go, 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fairy Princess Face Paints (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a set which contains 6 pastel colours - white, turquoise, seafoam green, pale pink, bright pink and a blue-y purple. It has a brush, small well for water, small circular sponge, very small pot of glitter glue and a sheet of stickers for use on your face with your design.

The first thing I noticed was the brush. I do face painting at our school fayre/events and normally use Snazaroo paints and brushes, the brush in this set is the same you'd get if you got a cheap painting set for painting on paper. It isn't going to allow any kind of detailed face paint design. It did work and paint a butterfly and heart on my face but you would definitely need a finer brush too for any kind of outlining.

The paints had water marks on a couple when they arrived and these don't look too appealing for use, the ones without marks looked fine. The paint took a fair bit of water/rubbing to get enough on the brush but it did work to paint pictures on my cheeks. It is a shame their wasn't a black as sometimes you need that dark colour to ofset the paler colours - I found the pale pink didn't show up well on my skin colour and an outline would have helped that (although you could outline with another colour.) I really liked the blue/turquoise shades in the kit.

The glitter was pretty and easy to use, I would have like a little more as it will run out much before the paints. The sticks are on a clear transparency and easily peel off/stick on. I stuck one on my hand as I didn't want to test on my face and it was easy to catch the edge and unpeel and although it lost stickiness was easy to remove and reposition.

Overall I think this set is good for a one off small party, chance for kids to face paint for themselves but I wouldn't use it for any bigger party groups as I don't think there is a big enough range of colours and in future I think I'd stick to my Snazaroo paints however they can be expensive and as a small starter kit this is a nice chance to see what you think of using face paints.

GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small
GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Passed the dog test!, 4 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the size of the tin and it's very handy to be able to reseal the dog treats. Much better than treats that come in a bag which always break. The tin is a good size for taking along on a walk or a trip and fits in my jacket pocket.

The treats pass the dog test. I used them as treats and she came running when she saw the tin and did tricks to get given one and came back for more.

Make Your Own Lip Balm
Make Your Own Lip Balm
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but limited, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Make Your Own Lip Balm (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a little disappointed in the craft aspect of this set as it's not actually about making lip balm. It's about colouring it and putting it in tubs. This set comes with a strawberry lip balm already pre-made so you can't choose the scent of your lip balm. Don't get me wrong the strawberry scent is nice but it does mean that all you have to do is scoop some of the lip balm into the mixing tub, add drips of colouring and shimmer powder if you want to and then mix. That's pretty much all there is to the 'make your own lip balm' aspect of it.

The dye is very bright in colour (red/pinky, blue, yellow) however it does make some very pretty shades when mixed. I made a lovely paler purple. The dye bottles were good as they required a firm squeeze to get the drips of dye out which is ideal to avoid spillages.

The set comes with 3 ice cream/lolly shaped lip balm cases. These are fairly small. Once you've mixed your balm you can put it in the case for future use. The more dye you add to make your colour the runnier the balm becomes, refrigerating it does set it for you if you prefer it firmer. It's esy to mix but can be trickier to scoop into the cases, especially the lolly mould with 3 smaller strips. Younger children would need supervision. There are stickers you can put on the lip balm cases if you want to decorate it.

I found I hadn't used much of my base and my 3 cases were full. You can leave the left over balm in the fridge and the instructions say lip balm is okay for a year so you could make more but it's a shame with the amount of balm you get you can only make 3 lip balms at a time (unless you can find other containers which would work with it).

**warning - it does recommend skin testing before use.** I've never had a reaction before so didn't bother but I did find it made my mouth uncomfortably tingly so if you have sensitive skin I would make sure you do the test first.

I love the idea of this set but wish it would let you make scent/flavour choices too or melt/mix up your own balm.

Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent
Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and quick to assemble, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a carry bag with a matching ladybird pattern/face. It is surprisingly light and small when packed away. When you take it out of the bag you have the tent and 2 elasticated snap together poles. The poles quickly snap together and thread through the tent. My poles did get stuck on the seams a few times whilst threading but were easy to unhook and thread through. The end of each pole has a rounded end which goes into a tightly woven black tab at the bottom corner. It literally took 3 minutes to put up and ready.

This tent is a really nice size and several children can sit and play in it comfortably. I've been using it indoors as a den. The ladybird face is padded and easily rolls up and has 2 ties to keep it open. There is a fixed ground sheet for the floor and at the back it has a small window which can be opened and tied from the outside. The top of the tent has a mesh sky light and there is a yellow square you can attach with hooks to black cords on each main seam.

This tent is so easy to put up and pack away it is an ideal den!

The tent doesn't have any way to attach it to the ground outside so when it's empty it can be blown by strong winds. The material says it's waterproof but it hasn't been raining here to test that out. I'm not sure I'd want to let the children sleep outside in this tent but it is perfect for an indoors tent/den.

Oral-B Braun CrossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - (Pack of 8 Refills)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cleaning - helps to remove hard plaque between the teeth and in those difficult to reach areas, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose these 'crossaction' Oral B heads following some success using my original Oral B heads, with the hope of further improving those areas that I find hard to reach areas between my teeth.

The bristle alignment on the head of the tooth brush is varied, this provides brushing action from multiple angles as the head rotates and I found it really helped to remove plaque in those otherwise unreached areas between my teeth and gums. The heads themselves are of the standard size all the heads I've purchased have been and therefore fit easily into your mouth, allowing room to manuoveur the tooth brush during use. The 8 brushes come with four different coloured bands, although from a distance the two blue bands (one light and one slightly darker) look alike and can be difficult to quickly differentiate between.

After several uses of this tooth brush, I had already begun to notice an improvement in the cleaniness of my teeth compared to my original 'standard' Oral B head.

In The Night Garden Ninky Nonk Musical Activity Train 78cms
In The Night Garden Ninky Nonk Musical Activity Train 78cms

3.0 out of 5 stars A lovely idea but a bit of a disappointment, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an In the Night Garden Train with lots of the favourite characters from the show. It consists of five different toys, each on its own wheel base that are easy to hook together. One side has a little plug and the other a hoop that the plug slides down into, easy enough for little hands to do. It also stays together really well which is so important to stop those frustrated tantrums.

Muscial carriage/Night Light- Has 3 buttons with character's songs (oval-Upsy Daisy, rectangle-Iggle Piggle and triangle-Makka Packa) for music and a star button to turn on the night light and play the bedtime lullaby. This needs 3 AAA batteries which are actually included which is a nice bonus to save you having to hunt for batteries when you open it.

Shape sorter- This has a large button at the top that you press down to make it spin. I was slightly disappointed that it only comes with 3 shapes (circle, square and triangle) which in my opinion isn't very many for a shape sorter.

Pop up Iggle piggle- You have to press quite hard to get him to pop up (our 3 year old could manage but the 1 year old
can't) and trying to get him to go back down is difficult as he sometimes wobbles a bit to the side and it doesn't click so he doesn't stay down. This toy is rated for 12 months+ so in some areas of the toy children might not be able to use all the features without help if they are at the younger end.

Upsy daisy stacker- THis has a rattle lid, two stacking cups that fit inside and steps that fold down to reveal Upsy Daisy. The stacking cups then fit on top of the rattle lid to make a tall tower. The rattle sounds like there is a tiny bit of plastic loose inside rather than an actual rattle. The stacking cups balance quite well, even when it's being pulled along.

Peek-a-boo house- We got a bit confused with this. Looking at the box it looked like you were supposed to press the button on the roof and a door opens on either side. We could open the doors by hand to see the pontipines but our youngest couldn't. It sounds like there is a bit loose inside and we tried to open it to fix it (it has one screw at the base and two under one of the
doors) but after opening it didn't look like the button was attached to the doors at all, and after rereading the description I think the button is just supposed to make clicking sounds- it hits two tiny bells inside but again it just sounds like its got broken bits inside. A bit disappointed with this one.

Really only 2 (Upsy daisy stacker and the musical carriage) of the 5 'toys' impressed me which m akes the toy a little disappointing if you're paying the full price. Younger In the Night Garden fans are sure to love seeing their favourite characters and like the bright colours but it's a shame all the sections aren't equally interesting and fun.

Philips Lumea Precision Plus SC2006/11 IPL Hair Removal System for Face and Body

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective and painless, 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have dark hair which grows quickly so I have tried shaving, waxing and epilating before to try and go longer between sessions without stubble with little result. The cost of IPL is the only thing that has prevented me from trying it in the past as I wasn't sure I believed the claims of how well it can work. I am now a convert. I'm very impressed with my results so far.

The IPL device is hand held and comes with a larger attachment for using on bigger areas such as your legs and a smaller facial attachment which is also used for the bikini area. This device is cordless and takes 1hr 40 mins to charge. The buttons are simple to use, a power button, a trigger button to 'flash' the light and arrows to adjust intensity based on the colour of your hair (this treatment is not suitable for all hair colours or skin colours so please check before buying that it is suitable for you.) I used it on setting 5, 4 or 5 was recommended for me in the quick start guide. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow on which settings to use, how to prepare and how to clean your IPL device.

You have to shave before using IPL for your first several sessions. This is because IPL puts the roots of your hair into sleep mode so they need to be intact. You hold the device at right angle to your skin so that all of the contact points on your attachment make contact with your skin. You hold down the trigger and a green light lets you know when it is in place, then the light flashes. It isn't painful, it's slightly warm and occasionally it feels sharper than normal but even then it is like a slight static shock. It is much less painful than waxing and epilating. Once you're used to how to position the device you can hold the trigger down and just continually slide the device after each flash leaving a tiny overlap so you don't have any gaps. I sometimes struggled to hold the device at just the right angle initially but the more I use it the easier I find it. On my lower legs I sometimes find I experience a mild itching for a while after treatments but it soon goes away.

The guide says it will take about 1 minute for underarms, 1 minute for upper lip,1 min for bikini line, 4 mins for bikini area, 8 mins per lower legs or 14 per whole leg. I found it took me longer initially but after 3 treatments I am getting closer to these timings. I have not tried my upper lip or whole bikini area as yet. During the first 4-5 treatments you treat each area every two weeks then you should be able to move to 4-8 weeks depending on your personal hair growth rate and should be able to treat without having to shave before hand.

I have used this IPL for 6 weeks and done 3 treatments. The first treatment didn't have much effect although I thought maybe my hair growth was fractionally slower but that could have been my imagination. Hair is suppose to grow to the surface and then shed and this didn't happen after the first treatment so I shaved between sessions. After 2 sessions hair was growing slower and patchier and some hairs were shedding. There was one patched I'd missed and hair growth was clearly different here compared to the patch next to it. I still needed to shave (just stubble) before my next treatment. After my third session hair growth was a lot slower and my bikini line and underarms aren't showing any growth days later when normally they would be. IPL is having very visible effects for me and I will update this review again in a few months with updated results for how long I can leave it between treatments.

Things I have found hard are the positioning of the device and making sure that I don't miss gaps on my legs, especially since this is where my IPL device normally runs out of charge. The power light turns orange as you start to run out of charge. The IPL device will not let you do underarms, bikini line, upper and lower legs in one go without stopping to recharge so 2 hours later I end up umming and ahhing about where on my legs I got to. I also find that when the light filter gets debris on it the 'flash' hurts more but the cloth provided does seem to clean it easily when damp but sometimes I need to do this once or twice during treatments.

This comes with a travel bag to store the IPL device, cloth, bikini attachment and charger (with UK plug) so I took this away on holiday with me this week and twice it got knocked on in my bag, because the trigger and contact points weren't depressed it only ran the battery down but I'm slightly disappointed that this happened twice.

The main thing which stopped me giving this 5 stars is the fact that you have to recharge to do one complete body treatment. I'm probably going to do what someone else suggested and do different parts on different days but I'd rather be able to do one complete treatment without stopping.

IPL does have a big price tag but the effects have been very promising. If fast, obvious hair growth is an issue for you then this definitely could be a solution you will want to consider especially if you were already paying for waxing etc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20