Profile for Clare > Reviews

Content by Clare

Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Hair Straighteners
H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Hair Straighteners
Price: 86.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, 18 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These come in a small, sleek black box and are beautifully packaged. The box is shaped to allow easy storage of the straighteners and almost looks like it is a gift. The box contains a short instruction manual with very brief details on how to use as a straightener or a curler, no pictures included. The plug is a UK plug but has the ability to be adapted to a 2 pin plug if you remove a screw so that they can be used abroad - I really like this as I hate having 2 separate plugs and invariably lose one. The wire is plenty long enough for you to plug in and still be able to move around and reach nearby mirrors.

The straighteners are streamlined in a nice way so that they just have 3 buttons - on, up and down. A digital display shows you the temperature and they default to 230. They reach max temp very quickly, compared to my old straighteners. I was really impressed with these straighteners - one run through and my hair was dead straight - no frizz left. I have very thin, fine hair and in the past have had trouble getting it to curl nicely. My first attempt at curls left me with some lovely ringlets, in the past it has taken multiple runs to make my hair hold a decent curl.

I normally only use straighteners/curlers for special occasions as I find them so hard to use to get my hair looking nice but these were a revelation! The curls were fantastic and the straighteners quick to use. They come with a plastic heat cover you can put on when you finish so that you can lie them down anywhere without worrying.

I'm really impressed with this product and will definitely be using on a more regular basis.

Zoggs Unisex Adult Predator Flex Polarized Ultra Swimming Goggles - White/Red/Silver,
Price: 20.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect..., 15 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These goggles have a lovely fit. I have a pair of Ladies Zoggs that I thought fit well until I tried these. They fit cleanly to my face and are very easy to adjust. I find that if I need to remove them they easily regrip too which has been an issue for me in the past. You get a very clear and good view with these goggles.

What stops me from giving 5 stars is that they are perfect for the first 15 mins then every time they begin to fog up. When I swim underwater they occasionally let in a drop of water but not enough to annoy me or prevent me from continuing. These are the best goggles I've used so far.

Cookie Cutter Puzzle s/s 6cm Guaranteed quality
Cookie Cutter Puzzle s/s 6cm Guaranteed quality
Offered by cookware company
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Puzzle, 8 Aug 2014
These were a nice size and easy to use. It cut perfect puzzle shaped biscuits which fit together once they were baked. Ideal for the gift box of cookies I was making.

Breville Halo Plus Health Fryer, White
Breville Halo Plus Health Fryer, White
Price: 159.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to cook but fairly large., 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy to put together machine but it is fairly big and the colours do not match my kitchen that's for sure! Although it is called 'white' there is quite a lot of bright green on it.

I have used my fryer to cook chips. The first time I made super slim potato slices (like hot pot potatoes) and used the recommend times for the smallest amount since I'd only done a single portion for me. My chips were burnt to a crisp - oops! The bowl rotates as it cooks the chips and I think with these slimmer chips they weren't big/heavy enough to move around as they should. Take two I made normal chips from one potato and used the same timings. The oil was a little tricky to gauge as it said I should use a 1/4 of the scoop provided however it doesn't have markings on it so I had to judge where a quarter was an since it's got a rounded bottom this was tricky. I set the timing and left it to go, I checked part way and could see the chips were looking white so I used the buttons to adjust the time by 3 additional minutes. When the time was up the machine turned the heat off and the potato was cooked nicely inside but the chips weren't an appetising colour - they looked like they were underdone even though the potato was cooked. I think it does take a bit of experimenting to find the right timings for your preference in how chips look.

I also used the fryer to cook my quorn burgers. You sit a grill pan inside the fryer and tilt the fryer back so that it is flat and doesn't rotate. This means that you do have to check and flip your burgers mid way through. It is very easy to check through the lid what your food looks like and when you open the lid the timer pauses and then restarts when you close it. The burgers were cooked well but I also added a couple of minutes onto the cooking time for these too. I'm not sure the fryer is any quicker than a grill however since it does turn the heating element off on it's own as long as you haven't set it for too long it does prevent you from burning your food!

The inside pan is easy to remove and can be dishwasher'd making it easy enough to clean.

The beeper on this fryer isn't amazing - it's very short and not overly loud. I didn't hear it when I was in a different room with the TV on - normally I hear the microwave.

Weirdly there is no on/off switch on this fryer. Plugging it in turns it off and you have to use the mains to switch it off. It only has 4 buttons to change timings/heating elements and one dial to let you tip the machine for making chips which makes it easy to navigate.

My main issue with is fryer was the space you need to be able to open the lid. I have wall cupboards around my kitchen and this didn't allow me enough room to properly open the lid meaning I had to hold the lid with one hand and try to clip on the handle with the other which was a little tricky. Or even just trying to check food was a one handed job.

Melissa & Doug English Alphabet Dinosaur Colouring Pad
Melissa & Doug English Alphabet Dinosaur Colouring Pad
Price: 4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Super sized Dinosaurs!, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This colouring pad is much bigger than I was expecting! It's not quite A2 sized - apparently this fits standard easels but it's bigger than the ELC easel I have. Each letter of the alphabet has a page with the name of a dinosaur and an uppercase and lowercase representation of the alphabet letter. You can colour in these 2 letters but not the dinosaur name. The name is written in line guides to show children the size/spacing of letter formations. The letters are in a nice font but are not pre-cursive (The lowercase t, l, i, y aren't formed the way I would teach children to write them - I'm a Reception teacher but this is a minor niggle.)

The paper is a nice thickness and the size of the paper would easily allow children to work together colouring in these pictures. There is only 1 picture per page so you can use pens without worrying about colours leaching through.

Whilst this book won't store easily on any shelf any dinosaur fan will love it. The pictures of the dinosaurs are clear with a nice level of detail for younger children (not as detailed as an older dinosaur fan might want.)

I've never heard of some of the dinosaurs in this colouring book but that could be a nice research start point for a fun dino project.

If you're not worried about the size of this book I would definitely recommend it.

Galt Toys First Rattle Set
Galt Toys First Rattle Set
Price: 10.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and Fun, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Galt Toys First Rattle Set (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are very colourful, soft and baby friendly rattles. Two of them are strapped on with Velcro and are intended for babys wrists, 2 are socks for their feet however you could put them on the hands if you want to. Each rattle has a bright face - elephant, zebra, lion (which looks like a sun) and what I think is a bear. These rattles allow your baby to interact with their surroundings and entertain themself without having to hold/grasp the rattle.

The main problem we found with these rattles is that the socks are very easily kicked off. The Velcro straps hold the wrist rattles well but the socks aren't foot shaped and have a tendency to slip down and end up on the floor.

The rattles aren't overly loud, all make the same sound and are definitely aimed at young babies. They are machine washable which is a plus.

I like these rattles and use the wrist ones more than the socks. If you're only going to use the wrist ones you definitely want to be looking for these at a reasonable price.

NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Oblo by KRUPS Coffee Capsule Machine - White
NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Oblo by KRUPS Coffee Capsule Machine - White
Price: 89.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Easy, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes packaged in a pretty neat box with a Velcro handle for easy maneuverability. When you take the coffee machine out it is already assembled, you just have to add the drip tray. The size is fairly compact, it's smaller than my one cup kettle. The white and dark grey colours are complementary and I was pleased with the design.

The instructions were easy to follow and I did the first rinse through as recommended. The coffee machine was very loud on this rinse and the water came out of the spout at diagonal angles causing a little splashing. Luckily this was resolved when I added the capsules to make coffee and whilst the machine wasn't silent it was a lot less noisy.

The capsules were exceedingly easy to insert and remove and whilst you have to wait for the light to turn green before making your coffee it was only a few seconds (less than the 40 seconds the manual suggested) before it was ready. As soon as I flipped the switch to hot the cappuccino started to pour into the cup and I could see the steam coming off the surface. The coffee was made much quicker than if I'd used the kettle/cafetiere.

The machine was very easy to clean and reassemble. The tank holds about a litre and a half so you can make a few coffees before refilling. The tank stands up on it's own on the side whilst refilling making it easy and quick and then slots into position without too much effort.

The machine has a slider to allow you to choose if you are making a hot or cold drink. This is not an automatic machine so you do have to watch your drink being made and judge when to flipped the lever to off.

The machine comes with a 10 discount code for the Dolce Gusto website when you register it and the website also does free UK delivery which was a pleasant surprise. The machine comes with a box of 6 capsules - 2 to make Cappuccino, 2 to make a skinny Latte Machiatto and a Lungo and an Americano capsule. The website offers a range of options for both hot and cold drinks including coffees, hot chocolates, iced cappuccinos, teas and Nestea fruit teas.

There are a couple of reasons I didn't give this machine 5 stars.
- It is a little noisier than I expected/like.
- The range of coffees available in decaf is extremely limited which I think is a shame.
- The flip switch to stop the milk/coffee is down to your judgement and it takes a bit of getting used to. Whilst the coffee is nice it resulted in watery cappuccino my first few tries, also possibly my fault as I was using a fairly large mug which didn't help my judgement of when to stop but equally this is a pitfall others could fall into.

If those things don't bother you then this could be the machine for you. I definitely do like the look of it on my kitchen side, it's sleek and modern.

Zoggs Women's Zena - Mirror/Clear
Zoggs Women's Zena - Mirror/Clear
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and functional, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Zoggs Women's Zena (Sports)
I love the look of these goggles. They fit well and are easy to adjust (as long as you pull in the right direction - d'oh!)
They form a good suction around my eyes and have only ever leaked one or two drops and that has only been twice. They do leave some marks on my face but they're not that big and quickly fade. I would buy these again in future.

500g(approx 115) Silver/Purple Mix Glass Pebbles
500g(approx 115) Silver/Purple Mix Glass Pebbles
Offered by Petals&Buds
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Look tacky, 22 Jun 2014
I was disappointed in these. They are a nice size and the colours are nice. However when you hold them they are slightly rough instead of smooth and I'm not sure but it looks and feels like the lilac/silver colour is just painted on the outside. Whilst from a distance they look okay in the vase I got them for up close they just look tacky.

Galt Toys Folding Trampoline
Galt Toys Folding Trampoline
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online
Price: 44.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not really folding, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Galt Toys Folding Trampoline (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fun and sturdy small trampoline.

It comes in pieces and requires some assembly but it's an allen key job so it's not particularly hard. I was concerned after reading a few of the other reviews that I wouldn't be able to make it alone but I did!

The legs/poles are easy to assemble. The trickiest bit is threading the cord tight enough. I used someone else's tip and tied the 4 corners with string before I started but even then I didn't realise how tight I needed to pull it and ran out of cord before I got back to the start. Take 2 I pulled really hard on each hole and held it tight as I threaded the next part and the cord more than reached the beginning and was easy to tie off alone even though the instructions do say you'd need 2 people. The instructions are written with a separate sheet with the diagrams (this was hidden further in with different languages so initially I was a little confused about which piece was which.) They're okay to follow and it didn't take me to long to assemble (30-40 mins.)

Two things made me give this 4 starts instead of 5.
The first is that within the packaging there was brown dirt on lots of the poles which made a mess all over the floor and my hands and the cord was covered in what looked like either clay dust or white mold and although this wiped off it wasn't pleasant to have to touch it and I don't think it would have taken them much on the packaging end to make sure it was clean before packing.
The second, to my mind more important, reason is that this is labelled as foldable. It isn't really foldable. The legs are sprung to let you easily attach but I looked once it was assembled and the cord is in the way of unspringing them so they can't be folded back down - or at least I was willing to attempt this. The handle should be easy to remove but I tightened the black cap screw (which is a good size to grab onto) to make sure it was secure and can now only unscrew one side. I would not call this a foldable trampoline.

That said if you're just looking for a trampoline you can leave up it's a nice size - not too big or small, sturdy enough that I jumped on it to test it out and it bounced me just fine. It has bright, fun colours and patterns on the safety padding over the cords and a lot of fun to bounce on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20