Profile for Clare > Reviews

Content by Clare

Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips GC3810/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 150 g Steam Boost, 300 ml, 2400 Watt, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great iron for its cost, 24 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Philips iron has a reasonable length cord which enables me to reach all of my ironing board without having to twist and stretch in weird ways. It was easy to fill with water, heated up quickly and has a temperature dial for different materials. This iron has a spray nozzle which enables you to get rid of stubborn creases easier and a good jet of steam on the higher settings. This model also has an anti calc feature for areas with hard water, which will prolong the life span of the iron if you use it.
The little steam jet holes which are positioned all over the sole plate help it to glide easily over any garment and go right to the tip of the sole plate making it easier to iron around buttons or other fiddly areas.
The overall length of this iron is longer than just the sole plate which means it will not fit into my standard size storage rack which is slightly inconvenient as I am unable to put the iron out of the way whilst it's still hot however the cord does wrap around this extra long neck on the base.

This model also has a vertical steam option for use on curtains or other items which are hung up, I haven't tried this feature and probably wouldn't use it that often but it could be a handy feature for some people.

Overall I'd say this is a great iron for its cost.

If you have to iron clothes then this is a good iron for it's cost.

Seagate Personal Cloud 3TB Home Media Storage - NAS
Seagate Personal Cloud 3TB Home Media Storage - NAS

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable product for a reasonable price, 21 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Seagate Personal Cloud Home Media Storage NAS delivers slightly less than it liked to boast, but nonetheless delivers all the essentials for a modern connected home. It’s sleek, small and most importantly silent.

I was surprised at the lack of instructions, both on paper and on screen when setting up the device for the first time. Upon connecting the device to the router it takes about 10 minutes to configure, a period confirmed only by a flashing light on the device. Once ready, opening the device in a web browser the device asks you for a username and password; there's no explanation what these are required for nor what happens with these credentials. I would have liked an explanation as the first interaction with the device. As it transpires the credentials are required both to use the device and to connect to it remotely via Seagate's remote services. There was no explanation of privacy or data protection at this stage, but reading their policies it all appeared quite standard and legit.

I was pleasantly surprised when the NAS sent me an e-mail after half an hour of being turned on to advise me that it was too hot. Removing the junk that I had dumped on top and around it, a few minutes later I got a further e-mail to tell me that it was now comfortable. It's since been running for a few weeks without e-mailing me any further complaints. If this sort of assistance is the future of smart connected devices then for me it's a welcome one.

You can add as many users as you want to the device, and each gets a password protected area on the device. There's also a single communal area which everyone on your network can access. This would be great for family use across all devices, allowing both privacy and sharing. I was uncomfortable using the communal area for most of my files, however, as any guests I give access to my Wi-Fi are automatically able to access all these files. So it’s worth some consideration what you put there, and what you put in a user area.

I found the device easy to use at home, both on my Windows PC and on my Android phone and tablet. In all cases I was able to directly connect to the device using the file browser and, given the credentials, access my user area as well as the communal area. This allows me to keep most of my files in a user area, store the password, and never have to do anything more than open a folder.

Remote access from outside my home network was a different matter. Using the Android app wasn’t so straightforward. First there was confusion of which app to use; Seagate variously advice to use Sdrive and Seagate Media, however the Sdrive program should be used on Windows and Mac computers and the Seagate Media app (and not the Sdrive app!) on Android devices. It was straightforward to install the app and connect to my device for use from anywhere with a network connection (work, travel etc). However, there was one fundamental drawback: the Android app only gives access to your communal area, not the user areas. For me, storing most of my files in my user area for the reason I raise above, this makes the app useless. There were also frequent crashes when running in the background. I haven't tried the Sdrive program for Windows and Mac computers as my computer doesn’t leave home, but it looks as though it does allow you to access your user area remotely. I was confused as to whether I could login remotely from a web browser without installing any program or app - great for one-off access from a friend's home - but when I tried on Seagate’s website it repeatedly rejecting my Seagate login details and I swiftly concluded that this offering, like the Sdrive app, related to another of Seagate's NAS offerings.

The device offers an impressive list of features, although on closer inspection most of them should probably be followed by an asterisk. Exceptions apply. In most cases. I was both confused and disappointed by this. The device currently offers seven app features, some niche, others mainstream. The lack of offering was evidenced by the fact that several default categories show no apps available. Apps ranged from Plex, an app to view and manage your films and watch them on various devices, to Wordpress (an odd offering for a NAS) and ownCloud (a nice web interface to access your files remotely). Other apps such as Sdrive and Seagate Media were required to use Seagate’s respective eponymous remote access programs and apps. I was disappointed to see that while Plex at first appeared a great fit for the device it was unable to transcode my media for me to watch it on other devices. I understand the NAS is designed to be low-power, but it seemed a drawback which made Plex unusable on the whole. I also found Plex crashed often and became unresponsive until I ended the service manually.

There were a few handy and unexpected functions which seem downplayed and not listed in the promotional material, such as the ability to torrent or download files using the device. When I attempted to use this, however, it became clear why: the first torrent was unable to connect but never raised an error, and the second was successful but had to be manually stopped from seeding forever upon completion. I would have liked a few more options to make this usable, and would have expected an e-mail when there was an error. I did get an e-mail to tell me that the successful torrent had finished, however. I liked the ability to connect another drive via USB and to be able to access this through the device and across the network.

One concern I have is how long the device will remain supported by Seagate. The device is tightly integrated into Seagate's infrastructure - indeed it cannot be operated without a Seagate account - and with them already offering several competing NAS devices with different apps and remote features I'm concerned how long before they will drop support for this one. This is always a concern with technology, but moreso when the key features are delivered both by the device itself (its services) and by its connected apps and programs (remote access).

The device is able to back itself up to other connected devices or online services (such as Google Drive, Dropbox and many others). I would have liked an option for the device to 'pull' and backup from other devices to itself, however, since it’s intended to be one of the largest capacity devices in your home and actively offers the option to connect other devices to itself.

For those of a techy nature the device could be usable outside the home network if you're able to attach a static IP or use Dynamic DNS. I would have liked to see the NAS offer DynDNS itself as it's already always connected to Seagate's servers and so the infrastructure is there. The device can offer DLNA, FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, SMB, iTunes, Apple Filing Protocol and Print Server support, and offers a lot of control over disabling these protocols if you don’t want them.

On the whole, if you're looking for a cheap but reliable device to store files with access across all your connected devices at home - and really only for use at home - then this is a good buy at a fair price. I paid a similar price only a couple of years ago for ‘dumb’ storage with a third of the capacity and this is definitely a welcome upgrade.

Philips S7370/12 Series 7000 Electric Shaver for Sensitive Skin with Beard Trimmer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My partner used this razor and said this was the most disappointed he had ever been in a product! It looked and felt too bulky whilst shaving. It felt uncomfortable in use and the performance in both wet and dry shaving was so bad a standard razor was needed to finish off the missed hairs. In dry shaving it left lots of hairs and stubble, wet shaving didn't cut any better. He didn't find it easy to manoeuvre above the lip for his mustache either.

There are lots of positive reviews for this item so it's possible there was some kind of fault with this unit but with this disappointing experience it's not a razor I'd recommend.

NAILS Nail Polish, Lilly Road The New White
NAILS Nail Polish, Lilly Road The New White

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a very nice bottle. It looks more pink in the bottle than I thought it would and when I was first putting it on my nails it looked pale pink as opposed to white with a touch of pink however once it had dried it matched that description exactly! It needed 2 coats on my nails but was quick drying and easy to apply. It lasted 4 days without chipping which is good for me as I work with young children and went swimming twice so my nails get lots of knocks and washes. I wish it would have lasted slightly longer but overall it seems a good quality nail varnish.

SmoothSkin Gold Permanent Hair Reduction
SmoothSkin Gold Permanent Hair Reduction

5.0 out of 5 stars Salon treatment at a fraction of the price, 7 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a Lumia precision IPL machine before and even with very intermittent use I had noticed there was a reduction in my hair growth. The Lumia is wireless and the charge would run out before I was finished which put me off using it more regularly as I would have to charge for a couple of hours before I could finish. The results were undeniable though so this model being corded and not needing charging really caught my eye.

I am used to using an epilator and have a cordless one as I normally can't be bothered being stuck next to a socket for a prolonged period. However since my charging issues with my cordless IPL I was happy that this was actually corded as I didn’t want to have to wait for it to charge to be able to do all the areas. The cord was long enough to sit on the sofa and use a plug easily.

It was very easy to use. The manual was short and succinct but makes sense and didn’t seem to miss out anything. The only tricky bit is to make sure I was covering well and not overlapping or missing areas, but this issue is the same with all IPL machines. My Lumia manual recommends using a white eye liner pencil (not dark as it will burn) to draw lines to follow so I think I will try this next time.

It says you need to use it weekly for 12 weeks and then monthly from then on to maintain, this is different from the Lumia which recmmends bi-weekly then monthly. This has meant that I have had to stop epilating as IPL won’t work without the hair roots. In the first few weeks/months I will still need to shave between applications as any hair does cause a more painful flash as the hair burns.

Slight pain on using, but minimal and not enough to have to use the gentle option (apparently less painful but will be less effective). I had intended to shave immediately before IPL but ended up having 3 days of hair growth so I’m guessing that next time with less hair it will be less painful.

It only lasts for a set number of flashes (120 000) and unlike other IPL machines you cant get a replacement part but need to buy an entire new one. Given the cost of the machine I think it is important to be aware of this as it will need replacing completely, however it took me about 100 flashes to do one lower leg so by my calculations it shouldn’t be running out any time soon!

The width of the machine head was good. The other IPL machine I’ve used has a wider head and a narrow one for delicate areas but this just has one, which I guess as it’s a bit smaller it means you need to fire it much more. I actually found that because it was smaller I found the skin contact easier so I never had any difficulty getting it to fire; this meant it felt that it was actually quicker than using a larger head. It also allows you to hold down the fire button and move up the leg and it will keep firing for you. This took a bit to get used to moving it at the right speed and making sure that there were no gaps or overlaps, particularly as it says don’t look whilst it flashes, so you are doing most of it without actually watching. The benefit of this means that it was actually fairly fast to do (much quicker than epilating- and no having to stop due to the pain!)

The real important question of does it work is a little too early to answer but I will update in a few months with how effective it is long term but in the shrt term the effects are looking promising.

Heritage Sterling Silver and Rose Gold Plate Celtic Trio Knot Drop Earrings
Heritage Sterling Silver and Rose Gold Plate Celtic Trio Knot Drop Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and delicate, 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The picture made me think that these earrings would be larger but they are actually small and dainty - which I prefer. The come in a very large box (bracelet size) for the size of the earrings but the box looks expensive and would look nice if you're giving them as a gift.

The earring easily went into my ear, it doesn't have a plastic cap to stop them falling out but the hook end was long enough that this wasn't an issue for me.

The rose gold looks very pretty and I really like these earrings.

Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre
Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Easy and efficient, 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This blender looks very sleek and comes mostly put together. It's very easy to slot and twist to lock the jug of the blender into place. The jug comes marked in 'cups' which I found very helpful but this starts at 2 which was annoying and a little snub from a blender at being single! I made a strawberry and banana milkshake first in mine and it was exceedingly simple. Add the fruit, turn to the pulse a few times to mash it down, add milk then switch to the blending setting for maybe 30 seconds. It was very fast which for me is always a plus as if it's too much work I tend to not bother. It was easy to take apart again although removing the blade took a little more effort to twist off. The lid, jug and blade are all dishwasher proof which I love.

The jug has a small spout which was very handy to prevent spills when pouring my milkshake. I did find that the 2 'cups' that I made didn't fill 2 coffee mugs but it wasn't too far under.

The instructions were the worst part of this blender. It's the same set of instructions split into their different range of items and in picture form in multiple languages so I didn't find them particularly easy to use to find information, having said that there's not much you need to know from them.

I really like the look and ease of use with this blender. I'd definitely recommend.

Boxfresh Stern, Men's Low-Top Sneakers, Blue 9 UK (43 EU)
Boxfresh Stern, Men's Low-Top Sneakers, Blue 9 UK (43 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Waxed Canvas Trainers, 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are fairly stylish for canvas trainers and very lightweight. When measuring the sole against my other trainers they're the same size but when I put them on they seemed more generously sized. I tried wearing them when it was raining as the upper canvas is waxed and the waxing appeared to work effectively to keep my feet dry. They are very well made and finished and actually look very smart. The laces are waxed a reasonable length and never came undone which I have found to be a particularly annoying problem with cheaper laces.
I would say they are good quality and reasonably priced.

Braun Face SE80 Facial Epilator Replacement Cleansing Brushes - Pack of 2
Braun Face SE80 Facial Epilator Replacement Cleansing Brushes - Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely smooth skin, 30 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This pack is replacement heads for the cleaning brush part of Braun's facial epilator and cleaning brush. They are very easy to attach/remove with a simple button push ejecting the old head and a push to attach the new head.

The brush heads needs to be used with the epilator/brush, here are my review comments relevant to the brush part of the tool -
The cleaning head if fairly soft and rotate when turned on, you then just move it in circles gently around your face but not near your eyes or hairline. I used it with my cleansing gel and found it didn't lather up like it does on my hands. It did leave some areas of my face with a pink tinge so it's worth thinking about when you are going to use it. My face was lovely and smooth feeling after using it and I am prone to breakouts so I will definitely keep using it.

Braun Face 830 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Including Mirror and Beauty Pouch

4.0 out of 5 stars Eek out those hairs, 30 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This edition comes with the epilator, brush head, cleaning brush, lighted mirror and bag. The bag just happened to be my favourite colour purple and is ideal to fit all the pieces inside so you can easily move it around without losing pieces. The bag is spacious enough to have room to spare for things like tweezers etc which is helpful.

The epilator tool is a similiar length to a toothbrush but wider around the middle. It's easy to hold and not too heavy. The head is detatchable to allow you to choose either the epilator or cleaning brush head and it easily comes off with a tug. The brush head needs replacing periodically and there is a simple button to let you remove it. You have to buy extra brush heads they are not included.

I used the epilator on my eyebrows and upper lip. I normally use tweezers on my eyebrows and am a wimp with pain often not using my normal epilator on my legs as I find it too painful so I was pleasantly surprised to find it was no more painful than tweezers. It comes preloaded with a battery (that you can change yourself) so you can use it straight from the packet. You simply turn the head in the direction of your hair growth so it spins in the right way (left or right twist to turn it on.) I found it difficult at first as my hair seems to grow in multiple direction so I just guessed and went for it. It easily and quickly removed the hairs in the middle however I was a bit more apprehensive when I came close to my brow line as I have hairs that shoot out in directions that I don;t like but getting the epilator to them would have meant maybe plucking hairs I dind't want gone so I did have to go back to my tweezers for some of the hairs.

I normally shave my top lip as I hate pain. It was painful using the epilator on my top lip but not as bad as I would have expected and since it was only for a short period of time I found the pain more manageable than when I try doing large areas like my legs. My biggest issue was I found it hard to epilate to the contours of my face. You are supposed to pull your skin tight and then epilate but then I couldn't see the fine hairs. The lighted mirror is ideal for seeing those but needs a third hand. I wasn't as happy with the job I did on my lip and found it a lot more awkward. I'm persevering so far in the hopes I'll get better but might end up back with my razor.

The cleaning head if fairly soft and you turn the switch on them just move it in circles gently around your face but not near your eyes or hairline. I used it with my cleansing gel and found it didn't lather up like it does on my hands. It did leave some areas of my face with a pink tinge so it's worth thinking about when you are going to use it. My face was lovely and smooth feeling after using it and I am prone to breakouts so I will definitely keep using it.

The lighted mirror that comes with this is ideal for really showing up your hairs. I find it very useful. The light auto turns off after a couple of minutes if you forget which is useful.

If you are an epilating fan you'll probably really like this. I'm still on the fence about it's effectiveness for me as an epilator but it is well made and thought out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20