Profile for Clare > Reviews

Content by Clare

Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Make Your Own Lip Balm
Make Your Own Lip Balm
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but limited, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Make Your Own Lip Balm (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a little disappointed in the craft aspect of this set as it's not actually about making lip balm. It's about colouring it and putting it in tubs. This set comes with a strawberry lip balm already pre-made so you can't choose the scent of your lip balm. Don't get me wrong the strawberry scent is nice but it does mean that all you have to do is scoop some of the lip balm into the mixing tub, add drips of colouring and shimmer powder if you want to and then mix. That's pretty much all there is to the 'make your own lip balm' aspect of it.

The dye is very bright in colour (red/pinky, blue, yellow) however it does make some very pretty shades when mixed. I made a lovely paler purple. The dye bottles were good as they required a firm squeeze to get the drips of dye out which is ideal to avoid spillages.

The set comes with 3 ice cream/lolly shaped lip balm cases. These are fairly small. Once you've mixed your balm you can put it in the case for future use. The more dye you add to make your colour the runnier the balm becomes, refrigerating it does set it for you if you prefer it firmer. It's esy to mix but can be trickier to scoop into the cases, especially the lolly mould with 3 smaller strips. Younger children would need supervision. There are stickers you can put on the lip balm cases if you want to decorate it.

I found I hadn't used much of my base and my 3 cases were full. You can leave the left over balm in the fridge and the instructions say lip balm is okay for a year so you could make more but it's a shame with the amount of balm you get you can only make 3 lip balms at a time (unless you can find other containers which would work with it).

**warning - it does recommend skin testing before use.** I've never had a reaction before so didn't bother but I did find it made my mouth uncomfortably tingly so if you have sensitive skin I would make sure you do the test first.

I love the idea of this set but wish it would let you make scent/flavour choices too or melt/mix up your own balm.

Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent
Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent
Price: 28.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and quick to assemble, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Ladybird Tent (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a carry bag with a matching ladybird pattern/face. It is surprisingly light and small when packed away. When you take it out of the bag you have the tent and 2 elasticated snap together poles. The poles quickly snap together and thread through the tent. My poles did get stuck on the seams a few times whilst threading but were easy to unhook and thread through. The end of each pole has a rounded end which goes into a tightly woven black tab at the bottom corner. It literally took 3 minutes to put up and ready.

This tent is a really nice size and several children can sit and play in it comfortably. I've been using it indoors as a den. The ladybird face is padded and easily rolls up and has 2 ties to keep it open. There is a fixed ground sheet for the floor and at the back it has a small window which can be opened and tied from the outside. The top of the tent has a mesh sky light and there is a yellow square you can attach with hooks to black cords on each main seam.

This tent is so easy to put up and pack away it is an ideal den!

The tent doesn't have any way to attach it to the ground outside so when it's empty it can be blown by strong winds. The material says it's waterproof but it hasn't been raining here to test that out. I'm not sure I'd want to let the children sleep outside in this tent but it is perfect for an indoors tent/den.

Oral-B Braun CrossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - (Pack of 8 Refills)
Price: 25.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cleaning - helps to remove hard plaque between the teeth and in those difficult to reach areas, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose these 'crossaction' Oral B heads following some success using my original Oral B heads, with the hope of further improving those areas that I find hard to reach areas between my teeth.

The bristle alignment on the head of the tooth brush is varied, this provides brushing action from multiple angles as the head rotates and I found it really helped to remove plaque in those otherwise unreached areas between my teeth and gums. The heads themselves are of the standard size all the heads I've purchased have been and therefore fit easily into your mouth, allowing room to manuoveur the tooth brush during use. The 8 brushes come with four different coloured bands, although from a distance the two blue bands (one light and one slightly darker) look alike and can be difficult to quickly differentiate between.

After several uses of this tooth brush, I had already begun to notice an improvement in the cleaniness of my teeth compared to my original 'standard' Oral B head.

In The Night Garden Ninky Nonk Musical Activity Train 78cms
In The Night Garden Ninky Nonk Musical Activity Train 78cms
Price: 49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A lovely idea but a bit of a disappointment, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an In the Night Garden Train with lots of the favourite characters from the show. It consists of five different toys, each on its own wheel base that are easy to hook together. One side has a little plug and the other a hoop that the plug slides down into, easy enough for little hands to do. It also stays together really well which is so important to stop those frustrated tantrums.

Muscial carriage/Night Light- Has 3 buttons with character's songs (oval-Upsy Daisy, rectangle-Iggle Piggle and triangle-Makka Packa) for music and a star button to turn on the night light and play the bedtime lullaby. This needs 3 AAA batteries which are actually included which is a nice bonus to save you having to hunt for batteries when you open it.

Shape sorter- This has a large button at the top that you press down to make it spin. I was slightly disappointed that it only comes with 3 shapes (circle, square and triangle) which in my opinion isn't very many for a shape sorter.

Pop up Iggle piggle- You have to press quite hard to get him to pop up (our 3 year old could manage but the 1 year old
can't) and trying to get him to go back down is difficult as he sometimes wobbles a bit to the side and it doesn't click so he doesn't stay down. This toy is rated for 12 months+ so in some areas of the toy children might not be able to use all the features without help if they are at the younger end.

Upsy daisy stacker- THis has a rattle lid, two stacking cups that fit inside and steps that fold down to reveal Upsy Daisy. The stacking cups then fit on top of the rattle lid to make a tall tower. The rattle sounds like there is a tiny bit of plastic loose inside rather than an actual rattle. The stacking cups balance quite well, even when it's being pulled along.

Peek-a-boo house- We got a bit confused with this. Looking at the box it looked like you were supposed to press the button on the roof and a door opens on either side. We could open the doors by hand to see the pontipines but our youngest couldn't. It sounds like there is a bit loose inside and we tried to open it to fix it (it has one screw at the base and two under one of the
doors) but after opening it didn't look like the button was attached to the doors at all, and after rereading the description I think the button is just supposed to make clicking sounds- it hits two tiny bells inside but again it just sounds like its got broken bits inside. A bit disappointed with this one.

Really only 2 (Upsy daisy stacker and the musical carriage) of the 5 'toys' impressed me which m akes the toy a little disappointing if you're paying the full price. Younger In the Night Garden fans are sure to love seeing their favourite characters and like the bright colours but it's a shame all the sections aren't equally interesting and fun.

Philips SC2006/11 Lumea Precision Plus IPL Hair Removal System for Face and Body
Price: 450.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective and painless, 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have dark hair which grows quickly so I have tried shaving, waxing and epilating before to try and go longer between sessions without stubble with little result. The cost of IPL is the only thing that has prevented me from trying it in the past as I wasn't sure I believed the claims of how well it can work. I am now a convert. I'm very impressed with my results so far.

The IPL device is hand held and comes with a larger attachment for using on bigger areas such as your legs and a smaller facial attachment which is also used for the bikini area. This device is cordless and takes 1hr 40 mins to charge. The buttons are simple to use, a power button, a trigger button to 'flash' the light and arrows to adjust intensity based on the colour of your hair (this treatment is not suitable for all hair colours or skin colours so please check before buying that it is suitable for you.) I used it on setting 5, 4 or 5 was recommended for me in the quick start guide. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow on which settings to use, how to prepare and how to clean your IPL device.

You have to shave before using IPL for your first several sessions. This is because IPL puts the roots of your hair into sleep mode so they need to be intact. You hold the device at right angle to your skin so that all of the contact points on your attachment make contact with your skin. You hold down the trigger and a green light lets you know when it is in place, then the light flashes. It isn't painful, it's slightly warm and occasionally it feels sharper than normal but even then it is like a slight static shock. It is much less painful than waxing and epilating. Once you're used to how to position the device you can hold the trigger down and just continually slide the device after each flash leaving a tiny overlap so you don't have any gaps. I sometimes struggled to hold the device at just the right angle initially but the more I use it the easier I find it. On my lower legs I sometimes find I experience a mild itching for a while after treatments but it soon goes away.

The guide says it will take about 1 minute for underarms, 1 minute for upper lip,1 min for bikini line, 4 mins for bikini area, 8 mins per lower legs or 14 per whole leg. I found it took me longer initially but after 3 treatments I am getting closer to these timings. I have not tried my upper lip or whole bikini area as yet. During the first 4-5 treatments you treat each area every two weeks then you should be able to move to 4-8 weeks depending on your personal hair growth rate and should be able to treat without having to shave before hand.

I have used this IPL for 6 weeks and done 3 treatments. The first treatment didn't have much effect although I thought maybe my hair growth was fractionally slower but that could have been my imagination. Hair is suppose to grow to the surface and then shed and this didn't happen after the first treatment so I shaved between sessions. After 2 sessions hair was growing slower and patchier and some hairs were shedding. There was one patched I'd missed and hair growth was clearly different here compared to the patch next to it. I still needed to shave (just stubble) before my next treatment. After my third session hair growth was a lot slower and my bikini line and underarms aren't showing any growth days later when normally they would be. IPL is having very visible effects for me and I will update this review again in a few months with updated results for how long I can leave it between treatments.

Things I have found hard are the positioning of the device and making sure that I don't miss gaps on my legs, especially since this is where my IPL device normally runs out of charge. The power light turns orange as you start to run out of charge. The IPL device will not let you do underarms, bikini line, upper and lower legs in one go without stopping to recharge so 2 hours later I end up umming and ahhing about where on my legs I got to. I also find that when the light filter gets debris on it the 'flash' hurts more but the cloth provided does seem to clean it easily when damp but sometimes I need to do this once or twice during treatments.

This comes with a travel bag to store the IPL device, cloth, bikini attachment and charger (with UK plug) so I took this away on holiday with me this week and twice it got knocked on in my bag, because the trigger and contact points weren't depressed it only ran the battery down but I'm slightly disappointed that this happened twice.

The main thing which stopped me giving this 5 stars is the fact that you have to recharge to do one complete body treatment. I'm probably going to do what someone else suggested and do different parts on different days but I'd rather be able to do one complete treatment without stopping.

IPL does have a big price tag but the effects have been very promising. If fast, obvious hair growth is an issue for you then this definitely could be a solution you will want to consider especially if you were already paying for waxing etc.

H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Hair Straighteners
H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Hair Straighteners
Price: 77.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, 18 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These come in a small, sleek black box and are beautifully packaged. The box is shaped to allow easy storage of the straighteners and almost looks like it is a gift. The box contains a short instruction manual with very brief details on how to use as a straightener or a curler, no pictures included. The plug is a UK plug but has the ability to be adapted to a 2 pin plug if you remove a screw so that they can be used abroad - I really like this as I hate having 2 separate plugs and invariably lose one. The wire is plenty long enough for you to plug in and still be able to move around and reach nearby mirrors.

The straighteners are streamlined in a nice way so that they just have 3 buttons - on, up and down. A digital display shows you the temperature and they default to 230. They reach max temp very quickly, compared to my old straighteners. I was really impressed with these straighteners - one run through and my hair was dead straight - no frizz left. I have very thin, fine hair and in the past have had trouble getting it to curl nicely. My first attempt at curls left me with some lovely ringlets, in the past it has taken multiple runs to make my hair hold a decent curl.

I normally only use straighteners/curlers for special occasions as I find them so hard to use to get my hair looking nice but these were a revelation! The curls were fantastic and the straighteners quick to use. They come with a plastic heat cover you can put on when you finish so that you can lie them down anywhere without worrying.

I'm really impressed with this product and will definitely be using on a more regular basis.

Zoggs Unisex Adult Predator Flex Polarized Ultra Swimming Goggles - White/Red/Silver,
Offered by Herbert Sports
Price: 20.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect..., 15 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These goggles have a lovely fit. I have a pair of Ladies Zoggs that I thought fit well until I tried these. They fit cleanly to my face and are very easy to adjust. I find that if I need to remove them they easily regrip too which has been an issue for me in the past. You get a very clear and good view with these goggles.

What stops me from giving 5 stars is that they are perfect for the first 15 mins then every time they begin to fog up. When I swim underwater they occasionally let in a drop of water but not enough to annoy me or prevent me from continuing. These are the best goggles I've used so far.

Cookie Cutter Puzzle s/s 6cm Guaranteed quality
Cookie Cutter Puzzle s/s 6cm Guaranteed quality
Offered by cookware company
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Puzzle, 8 Aug 2014
These were a nice size and easy to use. It cut perfect puzzle shaped biscuits which fit together once they were baked. Ideal for the gift box of cookies I was making.

Breville Halo Plus Health Fryer, White
Breville Halo Plus Health Fryer, White
Price: 99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to cook but fairly large., 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy to put together machine but it is fairly big and the colours do not match my kitchen that's for sure! Although it is called 'white' there is quite a lot of bright green on it.

I have used my fryer to cook chips. The first time I made super slim potato slices (like hot pot potatoes) and used the recommend times for the smallest amount since I'd only done a single portion for me. My chips were burnt to a crisp - oops! The bowl rotates as it cooks the chips and I think with these slimmer chips they weren't big/heavy enough to move around as they should. Take two I made normal chips from one potato and used the same timings. The oil was a little tricky to gauge as it said I should use a 1/4 of the scoop provided however it doesn't have markings on it so I had to judge where a quarter was an since it's got a rounded bottom this was tricky. I set the timing and left it to go, I checked part way and could see the chips were looking white so I used the buttons to adjust the time by 3 additional minutes. When the time was up the machine turned the heat off and the potato was cooked nicely inside but the chips weren't an appetising colour - they looked like they were underdone even though the potato was cooked. I think it does take a bit of experimenting to find the right timings for your preference in how chips look.

I also used the fryer to cook my quorn burgers. You sit a grill pan inside the fryer and tilt the fryer back so that it is flat and doesn't rotate. This means that you do have to check and flip your burgers mid way through. It is very easy to check through the lid what your food looks like and when you open the lid the timer pauses and then restarts when you close it. The burgers were cooked well but I also added a couple of minutes onto the cooking time for these too. I'm not sure the fryer is any quicker than a grill however since it does turn the heating element off on it's own as long as you haven't set it for too long it does prevent you from burning your food!

The inside pan is easy to remove and can be dishwasher'd making it easy enough to clean.

The beeper on this fryer isn't amazing - it's very short and not overly loud. I didn't hear it when I was in a different room with the TV on - normally I hear the microwave.

Weirdly there is no on/off switch on this fryer. Plugging it in turns it off and you have to use the mains to switch it off. It only has 4 buttons to change timings/heating elements and one dial to let you tip the machine for making chips which makes it easy to navigate.

My main issue with is fryer was the space you need to be able to open the lid. I have wall cupboards around my kitchen and this didn't allow me enough room to properly open the lid meaning I had to hold the lid with one hand and try to clip on the handle with the other which was a little tricky. Or even just trying to check food was a one handed job.

Melissa & Doug English Alphabet Dinosaur Colouring Pad
Melissa & Doug English Alphabet Dinosaur Colouring Pad
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super sized Dinosaurs!, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This colouring pad is much bigger than I was expecting! It's not quite A2 sized - apparently this fits standard easels but it's bigger than the ELC easel I have. Each letter of the alphabet has a page with the name of a dinosaur and an uppercase and lowercase representation of the alphabet letter. You can colour in these 2 letters but not the dinosaur name. The name is written in line guides to show children the size/spacing of letter formations. The letters are in a nice font but are not pre-cursive (The lowercase t, l, i, y aren't formed the way I would teach children to write them - I'm a Reception teacher but this is a minor niggle.)

The paper is a nice thickness and the size of the paper would easily allow children to work together colouring in these pictures. There is only 1 picture per page so you can use pens without worrying about colours leaching through.

Whilst this book won't store easily on any shelf any dinosaur fan will love it. The pictures of the dinosaurs are clear with a nice level of detail for younger children (not as detailed as an older dinosaur fan might want.)

I've never heard of some of the dinosaurs in this colouring book but that could be a nice research start point for a fun dino project.

If you're not worried about the size of this book I would definitely recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20