Profile for J. Pink > Reviews

The Summer Book
by Esther Freud
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars More than Moomins, 15 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Summer Book (Paperback)
I can not recommend this little book highly enough to you. I first heard it spoken of on Radio 4 and was so intrigued that I bought both a copy of this and Fair Play, also by Tove Jansson.

It is a small book but it's impact is huge. Beautifully written, it describes sensitively and vividly the relationship between grandmother and grand-daughter as they live together in almost complete isolation on a tiny, family-owned island. It is one of those books about seemingly very little, that says so very much.

The interactions between the aging, reflective and rather tetchy grandmother and the bright, curious child will warm the hearts of all who read them. If only it were as easy as Janssen makes it seem to convey the warmth of everyday exchanges - how much more we might appreciate and understand each other then!

I will be amazed if you don't love this book too. You will laugh as often as you shed a tear, and you will want to read more of Tove Janssens beautiful writing.

Nigella Express
Nigella Express
by Nigella Lawson

4.0 out of 5 stars Express isn't necessarily a bad thing!, 17 Sep 2007
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
We all adore (or want to be) Nigella in our house! We love time spent fiddling around with a zillion ingredients, gallons of cream and a dozen eggs BUT this is fabulous too!!

I have two children who love tasty food (who doesn't?) and I needed some new ideas for quick meals! You will find plenty of them in this book and your kids will love trying out some new flavours!! Popular with my two are the white bean mash, chicken schnitzel with bacon and green eggs and ham (frequently accompanied by the Dr Seuss story of the same name!).

Don't be put off by the "Express" element of the title! This is a great book with just enough Nigella chat to also make it a good read when you're not cooking.