Profile for Coucho > Reviews

Coucho (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Live Catch Humane Trip Trap Mouse Trap
Live Catch Humane Trip Trap Mouse Trap
Offered by Super Utensil Ltd.
Price: 5.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Good easy to use trap, 26 Mar 2012
We bought the trap a few weeks ago and once we'd found out where the mice were running, we were catching them all the time, with chocolate biscuits being the best bait. Then one night the trap disappeared! The only explanation can be that a fox took it......

Collapse Into Now: Special Edition Digipack
Collapse Into Now: Special Edition Digipack
Price: 9.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Now that's what I call REM v 15, 15 Mar 2011
'Discoverer' - loud thumping opener - excellent
'All The Best' - up there with Discoverer
'Uberlin' - Drive with a chorus.
'Oh My Heart' - nice ballad which gets better with a few plays.
'It Happened Today' (featuring Eddie Vedder) - wekaer track that I skip.
'Every Day Is Yours To Win'
'Alligator Aviator Autopilot Antimatter' (featuring Peaches) - fast and fun and better with each listen.
'Walk It Back' - Slow, simple grower.
'Mine Smell Like Honey' - immediate, made to be a single, with terrific backing vocals from Mike Mills.
'That Someone Is You' - very short - REM's attempt at a theme to Friends - very good.
'Me, Marlon Brando, Marlon Brando and I' - average
'Blue' (featuring Patti Smith) - Worst track by some way. Why?

In summary, ten tracks that vary between pretty good and excellent and one that is very average, and a final track that should have been left out.

Live at the Olympia Plus DVD
Live at the Olympia Plus DVD
Price: 17.14

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for fans, 28 Oct 2009
When the live shows in Dublin were announced, I was dead jealous of those who got tickets and now I'm even more so. The two CDs comprise REM testing out tracks for Accelerate and playing older songs from their back catalogue. And it has to be said, the emphasis is on the early stuff from Murmur, Reckoning and Reconstruction. I've had the package for a few days and the thing that I've noticed is that I s am skipping to a lot of the older tracks that I've not had a live recording of. Some of these are simply stunning - 1,000,000, Harbourcoat and Wolves Lower are all wonderful as they really show all of the members of live band contributing to make an overwhelming sound. Mike Mills base and Michael Stipe's vocals are very strong on this recording which does not sound over-produced.

For those who have Accelerate, it's really fascinating to hear songs while they are still being developed. The obvious example is Supernatural Superserious which at the time this was recorded, lacked a chorus. Overall, the experiment of the live rehearsals worked and this by-product is a gem.

Although this package won't appeal to the same crowd that would by REM's Best of collection, for fans who have seem them live it's great and a must.

Accelerate (digipack)
Accelerate (digipack)
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Foot down..at last!, 29 Mar 2008
This review is from: Accelerate (digipack) (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to see 9 of the 11 songs on the album performed live at the Royal Albert Hall. As you would expect on a record that's only 35 minutes long, the tracks have an immediacy that REM haven't gone for in a good while. The songs are are songs that you either get or you don't pretty quickly - unlike Up and Reveal, which were albums that improved after several listens. Living Well's the Best Revenge is the best REM track for a long time, especially if like me you love Life's Rich Pageant and it sets the tone for what for me is the record I'd hoped for in 2001 and 2004. Many reviews have called this a return to form - unfair as apart from the dreadful Around the Sun, REM have never made a dud record. Finally, don't take any notice of reviews that try to be arty and clever in themselves and only give this album 2 stars!

My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes
My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes
by Gary Imlach
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars How it really was, 7 April 2007
This is an excellent book that works at many levels. It's part football history and partly a son writing about his Dad and appreciating him and his life. Makes you appreciate that whilst the wages being earnt now are wildly high, it was not that long ago that there were awful.

IT Architectures and Middleware: Strategies for Building Large, Integrated Systems (Unisys)
by Chris Britton
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Guide to Architecture, 4 Oct 2006
As a Project Manager of some years I'm usually in the position of delivering something with an existing Architecture or something that has been designed already. When I ordered this book I was hoping that it would provide a broad explanation of architecture options and explain some of the concepts about - in short, provide me with background knowledge for what I do. I have only had the book for a day, but everything that I've read makes sense, is clear and most importantly, is written from a real-world, business focussed perspective. I'm impressed.

Testifying - The Country Soul Revue
Testifying - The Country Soul Revue
Offered by steelwheels
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Secret, 11 Jun 2006
I bought this after it was CD of the month in the Observer music monthly. Its fabulous. Lent it to a couple of people at work who immediately bought themselves. Merges Dukes of Hazzard style country (Friday Night at Al's Place) with downright soulful (Where's Eddie). Superb.

Around The Sun [Digipak]
Around The Sun [Digipak]
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 6.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Play it more than once!, 9 Oct 2004
The first time I heard this record was via a link from the REM website and after doing a quick flick through the tracks, I thought it was the worst thing they had ever recorded. However, as with a number of their more recent recordings this is one that grows. It continues where Reveal left off in many ways - none of the tracks are really up-tempo, but on each hearing they reveal layers and subtleties that weren't there before. Leaving New York, for once, is a good choice for a single. Boy in the Well and I wanted to be Wrong are other stand out tracks and Electron Blue has a flavour of 'The Lifting' about it. Wanderlust is probably the weakest track - more upbeat but gives the impression it was written in twenty minutes. The Outsiders would have been excellent but for the Q-Tip rap - it just seems like an add-on at the end of the song. Overall, there is a slight move towards a more acoustic and country sound to the album. Its an album to listen to on a Sunday while you're cooking dinner rather than on a motorway drive - but its well worth getting! I would probably give it 7/10 so I guess that's 4 stars.

Green
Green
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Green is Great, 22 Sep 2004
This review is from: Green (Audio CD)
I'm a big REM fan and this is quite simply a fantastic record - its actually the first one I bought, back in 1988. What I love about it is the way it combines rock with country / folk, serious songs (Wrong Child is about a child disfigured in an accident) with none-too-serious pop - like Stand. I could go on for ages about how good this one is - but you're better off just buying it.

Smash The System : The Best of St. Etienne
Smash The System : The Best of St. Etienne
Offered by Quick Discount Sales
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good!, 22 Sep 2004
Saint Etienne were a band that I heard bits of during the 90's but I only got round to buying one CD - So Tough, which was very good. This is an excellent compilation that I bought a few months back and it its still in the car now. Its best described as feel good pop. Its musically clever, interesting and catchy, whilst lyrically, clearly made by a band who aren't taking themselves too seriously. Nothing on here is too challenging, but that's not the point. It covers a wide range of styles - some songs have clearly never been near a real instrument - but its all kinda good. And like the other reviewer says, worth buying for the neopolitan ice cream cover alone!

Page: 1 | 2