Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Ultrasport F-Bike Exercise Bike
Ultrasport F-Bike Exercise Bike

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 15 Dec. 2014
I bought this for my Mum after she had a hip opporation.
She says:
to give it only 4 stars, because she couldn't figure out the alen key screws, (she had to get a friend to help her, but confessedly such things are not her forte) but otherwise she found it easy to put together.
It is very sturdy and a real pleasure to use.
The seat is quite comfortable.
It is easy to see the various data on the screen, telling you how long you have been cycling etc.
It is extremely quiet.
Particularly likes that it is very steady, (especailly important after just having had a hip op.)
Just the thing if you want to exercise and watch tely.
Has brought back happy memories of cycling when she was a girl.
A real pleasure to use and would recommend it to anyone.

A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong: A Blackshear Family novella (Blackshear Family series Book 0)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas story gone perfectly right, 8 Dec. 2014
Mr. Andrew Blackshear puts rather a lot of importance on duty and decorum. Miss Lucy Sharp has not had any reason to pay any attention to society, as she and her father don't go out in society. Can a grump and an agnostic find happiness together in a disastrous Christmas road trip? Of course.

That makes this sound like a Christmas romp, and of course it is to some extent. But Grant of course tackles much more than that. She deals with the niavety of a young woman, the awkwardness of mistletoe, poverty, pride and duty. All this is done with Grant's light humourous touch that keeps you turning pages. It's a great romance. And with snow, pressured road trips to see family, Christmas decorations, wayward pigs (is this Grant's trademark? did someone dare her to get pigs into every story?), dancing, church, and goose dinner, there is plenty of Christmas feeling too.

If you are familiar with Grant's work, probably you've already bought this. If you can hold on, Grant has been tweeting desperately that it was supposed to be free, and will be in a few days. There was zero chance of me waiting for that though, and it was very well worth it.

FitBit Zip Activity Tracker - Charcoal
FitBit Zip Activity Tracker - Charcoal
Offered by nVOOD:Store - everything available immediately

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device for the price, 21 Nov. 2014
*simple, easy to understand and glance at, interface,
*super simple to set up with my phone
*really good mobile app, with breakdown of when during the day you were active/inactive
*strong clip, so doesn't fall off (which my Fitbug Orb did)
*informative weekly emails with your total number of steps etc. (Not annoying daily emails saying 'Let's go!' or something equally inane that I got from Fitbug)
*links perfectly with PruHealth Vitality program to earn points (Fitbug and Polar devices that I have still won't connect)
*not perfect on syncing all the time, as it needs wifi and bluetooth. But keeps a week of detailed data, and ~ month of overall day data, so that's fine. And because of the interface on device, I only need to sync every few days.
*At £40, it's much better than the comparable Fitbug Orb. In every way.

Talk Sweetly to Me (The Brothers Sinister Book Book 5)
Talk Sweetly to Me (The Brothers Sinister Book Book 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars No conflict, so a bit dull., 23 Aug. 2014
I'm a huge Milan fan, but this is not one of my favourites. I think the reason comes down to this: usually Milan does conflict brilliantly. There's usually internal and external conflict, something outside stopping the couple, as well as the characters themselves usually being quite messed up and having to work that out.

Here, there isn't much conflict. They are both reasonable people, basically. I don't understand why Shaun spends so much time being underhand about courting Rose, as there doesn't seem to be any reason for him not to just visit her father and say 'I'd like to court your daughter'. I spent the whole novella going, 'well just get married then'. Black female mathematician - yep, awesome, and I do appreciate the difficulties associated with that. But it's not like he's a Lord or something - he's an Irish Catholic. For me the reasons for them not getting together strayed too far into 'oh no, he could not possibly love little old me' territory.

I felt that this was more like Unveiled, my other not favourite Milan book. If you really enjoyed that, then this will probably please you. But neither really worked for me, and I think the reason was the lack of character arc. The characters here were both nice people who deserved to be happy. So no surprise when eventually they are happy.

3 stars because a Milan novella is still a good read. But it was just a but lacking for me.

The Notorious Lady Anne (Secrets & Seduction)
The Notorious Lady Anne (Secrets & Seduction)

2.0 out of 5 stars Notoriously pathetic pirate, 22 July 2014
Really - a Lady Pirate? This was meant to be awesome. What could go wrong?

Yeah. Quite a lot. She's really sappy. She's a pirate ship captain, with a loyal crew, a house of her own in the canaries and man who loves her. But she actually dreams not of having her own fleet and taking revenge on her father, (who turns out very conveniently to be a cartoon villain), but of returning to England and being a proper "Lady" and having a husband some small children. It just didn't seem in character to me.

I feet like the author started off with a great premise, but then ended up undermining and enfeebling the heroine. At every turn, the hero has to save her, and she has to prove how womanly she is by being helpless and/or stupid. And *of course* she's still a virgin. I mean, really... she's only been at sea, like 10 years. Why wouldn't she be a virgin? <rolls eyes>

The hero was a nothingy douchbag. I wish she'd married the 'side kick', who seemed much cooler, and was happy to be the strong silent type second mate while she swanned around as captain. Now there's a man you want around.

Sorry to say I ended up skimming the second half of this. So much potential, but I just couldn't care about either of the protagonists at all. Two stars rather than one, because, you know - Lady Pirate.

This Wicked Gift (Entangled Edge) (Carhart series)
This Wicked Gift (Entangled Edge) (Carhart series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Two recognisably human humans falling in love., 22 July 2014
This is an early Courtney Milan, and it does show in some ways. Particularly in her hero, who is not really what you'd normally expect, in that he definitely treads the fine line of more morally compromised when it comes to women, and how he treats them. He gets over this, and it's part of his character arc. In many, many ways this is no worse than the multitude of historical romances where the 'rake' hero uses women and goes to whores, except the special star heroine is different. The hero in This Wicked Gift is willing to get what he wants by fair means or foul. If I forget that I'm comparing this to other, more interesting heros, I can enjoy it a lot. Similarly, the heroine is more interested in chasing the hero than getting on with her life than in other CM books.

Having said that, it's still an excellent read and has all the elements that you would expect from this author - a heroine with a brain, a hero who is basically a good person, and no 'big misunderstanding'. It's got a nice twist on the theme of 'being ruined' and marrying for money.

This novella isn't especially Christmasy, though it is set at Christmas. No detailed descriptions of meals or decorations, thankfully.

Overall, I liked it. If my expectations weren't so high, I probably would have loved it.

Pint Tankard 4 Lines 20
Pint Tankard 4 Lines 20
Offered by Gift Cookie

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware - more than one company selling: Review of Lapal Dimension item., 16 May 2014
Encouraged by the positive reviews and a helpful email exchange with ThePresentStore, who list their email address in the Q&A, I went ahead and ordered a tankard. I didn't realise though, that Lapal Dimension also sell exactly the same item, with the same Amazon page reference. So do 1stclassgifts. Watch out for the 'Sold by' in the little blue box on the top right.

The tankard arrived with TYPOS. Instead of 2014, we have 2104. The rest was okay, except for incorrect capitalisation. I could have put up with that, but seriously - THEY GOT THE YEAR WRONG.

The item itself, excepting the personalisation, was really pretty nice, quite large and heavy, in a box with blue satin-esque fabric. It looked good. Apart from the date.

Clearly which company you purchase from matters for a personalised item like this one. I have no idea which company the other reviews should be attributed to, but this review is attributed to Lapal Dimension. Who think that the date is 2104.

**Update** They did promptly refund the item without any fuss, which was good. But obviously I'd have rather had the correct thing in the first place.

The Bride Of Larkspear (Fitzhugh Trilogy)
The Bride Of Larkspear (Fitzhugh Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun & smexy extra to Tempting the Bride, 17 Feb. 2014
This is a meta novel(la), being the book that the hero of Tempting the Bride writes to the heroine. Like the rest of the Fitzhugh series, it could stand on its own, but is better read in order. (I read them all totally out of order and still enjoyed them a lot. It's not like it's murder mystery, eh? You know who is going to end up with who, the only question is how.)

Having said that, this is short (a novella length), and thus a tad expensive at its full price. I bought it reduced to less than a quid and considered that it was well worth it.

It is also rather more explicit than the average ST book, and has considerably less plot. It's written in first person from the hero's pov. It isn't as ponderous as the opening page would have you believe (I guess it's supposed to have that pretentiousness that many books of that era have) and thankfully gives up on that for a more readable style (to my modern tastes, anyhow).

There is some backdoor action, which is predictably purple and painless and etc. Not my thing really, but I understand that such things are practically required these days.

Oddly enough, I feel like it's the plot that Tempting the Bride almost was, but the author changed her mind. I actually like it better than the amnesia plot that TtB uses, but that's just me.

Anyhow, I liked it. No silliness, lots of smexy times and actually quite a bit of emotion for something that is essentially erotica.

The Best Laid Plans (Mills & Boon Cherish)
The Best Laid Plans (Mills & Boon Cherish)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pregnancy romance, without the silly saccharine, 17 Jan. 2014
Sarah Mayberry always delivers (pun intended).

Alex wants a baby, but it's not going to be easy. She decides to go for a sperm donor, but then her colleague Ethan finds out, everything goes 'wrong'.... but not in the cliched way you might expect.

A heart warming HEA for two tough characters who were very likeable. With Mayberry's signature wit and a nice amount of angst.

The Marrying Kind
The Marrying Kind

5.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a romance, but romantic, funny and thoughtful, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Marrying Kind (Kindle Edition)
A surprisingly gritty story of a gay man who goes on strike from weddings. But fresh and funny too. I liked it. It didn't have saccharine ending, which actually worked well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4