Profile for Bobby Elliott > Reviews

Content by Bobby Elliott

Bobby Elliott (Erskine, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Huawei Ascend P6 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black - Genuine UK Stock
Huawei Ascend P6 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black - Genuine UK Stock
Offered by PLT-TECH

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality phone at mid-range price, 3 Oct 2013
My Samsung S4 was stolen on holiday recently and I couldn't afford to replace it with another S4. But I couldn't bear to buy a typical mid-range phone so I took a gamble on this one. So far, so good. First the positives. It looks great. In fact, I would say that it's the best looking phone available right now. It's slim, well made, and light. It feels fantastic in the hand and looks stunning lying on a desk. My wife has an iPhone (4) and that looks like something from last Century in comparison. The screen is also outstanding. It must be the brightest screen in the world. I run it at 50% and it's still brighter than many smartphones at 100%. At full power it could light up a room. Those are the two outstanding features: looks and screen. But special mention to build quality (it feels much better quality than my S4) and, of course, the cost (which is 50% cheaper than an S4).

Some features are good-to-average. The speed is OK. A little disappointing for a quad core phone but faster than most smartphones. The S4 was definitely faster though. But speed is not a problem. The camera is pretty good too. Again, I preferred the S4 camera (which is the best you can get) but this phone takes very decent photos. Again, you will not be disappointed. The battery is fine too. I was spoiled by the S4's battery (which is the best in class) and this one is not as good. But it's pretty good -- and way better than most. The key thing is that you will get a full days use out of it even if you use it a lot (as I do). But you will be charging every night.

There are some weaknesses. The battery is not replaceable. So when that goes, your phone goes (but that applies to the iPhone and many other brands). The phone also runs hot when you do anything semi-demanding on it. That could be a bad combination. Batteries and heat don't mix (heat reduces a battery's efficiency) so it remains to be seen if this problem will affect long term battery life. Incidentally, the battery charges very quickly (much faster than my S4). I don't like the "skin" that comes with the phone (it's Huawei's own) but this is easy to replace (I use Nova Lancher, which works great). My biggest (and only serious) complaint about the phone is the volume on headphones. It's awful. So bad that it is barely usable. I use my phone for running (I use an app) and I could barely hear music, let alone audio announcements. I thought that the S4 was quiet but this phone is much lower. Oddly, the volume is very good out of the speakers. It's the headphone output that is dreadful. This can be fixed (using a couple of apps available on the store: Volume Boost and Volume Locker) but it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Summary: best looking phone around; good build quality; great screen; good camera; decent speed; good battery; cheap for what you get; runs hot; non-replaceable battery; awful volume from headphones.

I'm very pleased with mine.

Radiopaq Chatter 3 in 1 Headphones for iPhone and Skype
Radiopaq Chatter 3 in 1 Headphones for iPhone and Skype

4.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, 12 Aug 2013
I bought this item at a highly reduced price and I am very satisfied with it. What's not to like? The sound quality is better than most headphones/headset combos (it has particularly good bass), the microphone works fine for voice calls/Skype etc, and the inline controls work fine with my Samsung S4. So I am bemused at the damned-by-faint-praise reviews. It comes with a standard 3.5mm connection and also a USB converter so that you can use it on devices that don't have a combined audio/mic connection (many don't). The USB convertor appears to be driverless (i.e. no software required) and worked fine on my desktop PC and Chromebook. For the price I paid, this item works as advertised and is outstanding value. Don't hesitate to buy it.

iGadgitz Black EVA Travel Hard Case Cover Sleeve for New Amazon Kindle 4 Wi-Fi 6" E Ink Display Ereader (Latest Generation Released October 2011)
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough case for travelling, 13 April 2013
I ordered this case for my new Kindle Paperwhite. It fits perfectly. And it is held inside very securely. The shell is tough and once inside the Kindle is very well protected. It would easily withstand a drop or some crushing in a bag.

The case is a little bulky so it's not ideal for everyday use. I bought it for travelling. However, once I get to my destination I will use a more traditional cover to reduce bulk.

This case is not really for everyday use. But for heavy duty protection (say on a plane) it will compliment other protection systems very well. And at this price it's a no-brainer.

Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD)
Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ultraportable computer, 11 Dec 2012
I've had my Samsung Series 3 Chromebook for over a month now. It first caught my eye when I saw it in a local store and thought that it looked nice -- and was blown away by the price. I didn't realise it was a "netbook" (in the real sense of that word) rather than a standard laptop. I did a little research and discovered a lot about Chromebooks before I purchased it. I am delighted that I did.

I have a smartphone (S3), tablet (Nexus 7), laptop (Asus) and desktop PC so I wasn't sure how the Chromebook would fit it. I shouldn't have worried. It is a niche product that serves a unique purpose. I take it with me when I have a little work to do, too much work for a tablet but not so much that I need a full powered Windows laptop. Because I often have "a little work to do", I use the Chromebook more than any of my other computers.

It's wonderfully portable and wonderfully fast (for what it does). It's not a laptop replacement any more than it's a tablet replacement. It sits between these devices. You can slip it in your bag and forget you have it. Because it's effectively instant-on, you can start it up, check and reply to an e-mail, and close it down in minutes. Try that on a tablet or a laptop. I am writing this review on my Chromebook and it is taking me no longer than using my laptop (minus the long wait for it to boot and the usual PC/Mac crap when you start a browser). I dread to think how long this would take me on an iPad.

It has good I/O facilities (USB 2/3, HDMI, wifi, SD card) and a decent keyboard and usable screen (its weakest feature). The trackpad is excellent but you can use a standard wired or wireless mouse with it (I use the Microsoft wireless mouse).

It's a perfect travel companion. Light, small, long battery, with full size keyboard and large(ish) screen.

I unreservedly recommend it. But not to replace anything. I still use my tablet or laptop or desktop PC as well as this Chromebook. They all serve a different purpose. Although this baby is becoming a favourite.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2013 3:05 PM GMT

iGadgitz Black Leather Pouch Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy S3 III i9300 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pouch, 15 Oct 2012
It's a crime to put the Galaxy S3 in a cover since that ruins its looks. So a pouch is the best compromise since it protects your phone but does not ruin its appearance (when you actually use it).

I'm pleased with this pouch. It seems to be made of an odd leather/plastic hybrid but this is actually a good thing since the pouch appears to be much more water resistance than leather (which soaks water). I would also say that the courseness of the material probably gives it added protection. It's also a perfect fit, slightly oversize so that the top of the phone is protected if you drop it (some pouches are too snug and the top of the phone is right at the top of the case - not a good idea if you drop your precious phone).

Lookswise, it's OK. It a plain black pouch, so what can you say? It's not ugly but it was clearly not designed by Apple either. It seems well made. The stitching on mine looks good, and the pouch certainly looks robust.

I am very happy with it and I use it in preference to a more expensive cover. I really can't imagine anyone not liking this product since it does exactly what you would expect it to.

ONX3® Samsung Galaxy S5 Brown PU Leather Pull Tab Protective Pouch Case
ONX3® Samsung Galaxy S5 Brown PU Leather Pull Tab Protective Pouch Case
Offered by ONX3

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, 3 Oct 2012
The Samsung S3 is a lovely piece of technology. Too good to be put in your pocket or bag without some protection. I don't like fixed covers since these ruin the looks of your phone so a slip on/off pouch is ideal -- it provides protection while it's in your pocket without ruining its look when you use it.

This pouch is amazing value. As other reviewers have noted, it does not look or feel like a cheap product. I found it a tight fit (this may loosen over time) and I would have preferred if the phone sat a little deeper than it does (the top of the phone is right at the top of the pouch meaning a drop might damage the phone) but, again, this might improve with use.

You would be forgiven for thinking that there must be a catch but there isn't really. The "leather" is course, the fit is tight, the colour is not ideal. But at this price it's churlish to criticise the product. It looks fine. It works fine. And it is truly outstanding value for money. Buying this product (even as a spare cover) is a no-brainer.

A Universe from Nothing
A Universe from Nothing
by Lawrence M. Krauss

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Jun 2012
I have a personal interest in astronomy, although little more than a layman's knowledge of the subject. So I find cosmology particularly interesting, and I have read many books on the subject. I haven't understood any of them, and this one was no exception. In fact, it was worse. I found it hard to read, with poor explanations of most of the topics it attempted to explain. I don't know who it was written for. It's incomprehensible to the layman, and insufficiently detailed for the expert. I can't say that I learnt anything I didn't already know from other sources. So I can't recommend this book. It's not awful but there are much better books on cosmology.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2012 9:11 AM BST

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display
Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Hesitated unnecessarily, 15 Jun 2012
I thought about buying a Kindle for several weeks before taking the plunge a few weeks ago. I was worried that I might not like it or might not use it very much, and waste my money (the UK price is almost twice the US price - shame on Amazon). I needn't have worried. It's brilliant. But in a funny way.

Using a Kindle is weird compared to using a smartphone or tablet. The device is dowdy (battleship grey, with rubberised rear) and so is the interface. Instead of your smartphone's colourful, fun, fast, swipey, multi-touch, zoomable interface, you are confronted with a dull, slow, black and white, text only, stark interface that will have you running to the Returns department within minutes of turning it on... until you realise what a brilliant reading device it is. But be prepared -- the Kindle's hardware and software is Steve Job's worst nightmare. Your first 15 minutes with the device is likely to leave you underwhelmed and checking your receipt for the returns policy.

But after a day or two it slowly dawned on me that it is actually brilliant. The Kindle does one thing brilliantly. It's a brilliant reading device. E-ink isn't as good as paper -- it's better. Honest. I find reading on my Kindle easier than reading paper. The ability to touch the screen to do stuff feels very intuitive and adds to the "natural" experience that Amazon is clearly trying to create.

Reading a Kindle book is great, but I also read PDFs and it doesn't handle them so well. However, it's simple to convert these to Kindle format (simply send PDF files to your Kindle e-mail addess, and use "Convert" in the subject line and Amazon will automatically convert the file and add it to your reading list). The converted files look fine.

I'll let other reviewerss explain why the Kindle Touch is so good, but let me assure you that you will not regret getting one.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2012 10:59 AM BST

Emartbuy New Kindle Touch eReader Black Textured Slide In PU Leather Case Cover Pouch with Screen Protector for Amazon Kindle Touch Wi-Fi / 3G 6 Inch E Ink Display
Offered by emartbuyuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Fir for purpose, 15 Jun 2012
Although my Kindle Touch feels pretty robust, I didn't want to carry it about without some form of protection, and I prefer sleeves to permanent covers, which conceal the device and make it more bulky to handle. This product does that job fine. Although it looks and feels better than the price would infer, no-one will mistake it for high quality leather. However, in this price range, it looks and feels better than it should and better than the competition (which is mostly soft and flimsy). The Kindle fits well and there is a tab at the top to secure the device. A pull-strap make it easy to take it out. My only complaint is that the cover is a little big (tall) for the Kindle (there is an extra ½" at the top). The inside of the pouch is soft and the outside is hard enough to protect it. So, I am happy with my purchase. I'd buy it again. 5/5 for value for money, 4/5 for functionality, and 3/5 for looks.

Fujifilm FinePix XP30 Digital Camera - Green (14MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value travel camera, 31 May 2012
I wanted a camera to take with me to Australia, and also use when I go hillwalking in the UK, so decided to get this camera shortly before I left for Oz. I am delighted with it. I wanted a small, portable camera that would survive the sea, sand, pool and the odd knock, and this little camera ticks all those boxes. I can't vouch for deep sea diving but it's perfect for the beach, and my camera was completely water tight throughout my holiday.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the photos. In fact, I think that they are better than most other cameras that I have used. GPS and location tracking do drain the battery, but if you don't use these functions then the battery is actually outstanding. I got around 3 days of relatively heavy use out of it, with GPS off. So, I would say that the battery is a feature of the camera, not a problem.

The camera looks good (the green is a nice shade), small enough to slip into your pocket, and pretty tough.

At this price, the camera is a steal and ideal for general purpose use, particularly travelling.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9