Profile for G. M. Jenkins > Reviews

Content by G. M. Jenkins

G. M. Jenkins "the_whippet"

BoxWave Nero Leather Google Nexus 7 Book Jacket - Slim Vegan Leather Nexus 7 Folio Case w/ Multi-Angle Stand and Sleep/Wake Magnetic Activation Smart Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Good case, 2 July 2013
This is a good quality, sturdy and functional case for your Nexus, perhaps a bit boring and conservative; i.e. "business like" for some, but I don't think you'll find a case that does the job better, can't fault it.

Pair of Jim Dunlop Lok Straps. Protect your electric or acoustic guitar by using a Lok Strap to secure the strap properly.
Offered by Arietta Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job ...., 2 July 2013
I've come to the conclusion it's ESSENTIAL to have something to stop your guitar strap slipping off the strap pins and have your precious guitar fall to the floor, I've had too many near misses over the years (about 1 a fortnight on average).
I didn't want to have to mess with my Fender Strat too much by replacing the strap pins with locking ones - which may involved some drilling! So these simple strap locks are an ideal solution if you don't want to mess with your guitars original fittings.
You do have to check the rotating disc is in the right position occasionally, one of mine has popped off once, but overall this gives you a nice sense of added security for a very small price - if you've got nothing holding your guitar straps on then BUY NOW before it's too late (alternatively a certain well known lager has a rubber ring on the lid ... but I've not tried that).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2013 11:20 PM BST

Rocksmith- includes Real Tone Cable (PC DVD)
Rocksmith- includes Real Tone Cable (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than "just" a game, 18 Nov. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is more than just a game, it's an excellent learning and practice tool as well!

I've played Guitar on and off for more than 30 years, I'm competent but not very good at it. I am however new to Electric guitar having only played it for about 3 years (previously I played Classical and Acoustic).

My guitar playing has improved more in 3 weeks of Rocksmith than it has in the last 3 years! It's an excellent and fun learning tool, but above all it's a MOTIVATOR. I'm motivated to play my guitar, I can barely put it down!

It's pushed me out of my comfort zone and forced me to learn lots of tunes I wouldn't have attempted otherwise, and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

If you've got a guitar sat in the corner gathering dust - buy this game!

I would say it's great for beginners and advanced players alike but beginners will need to invest in a bit of learning outside the game, a few lessons or a good book like "Guitar for Dummies" should suffice.

Oceania
Oceania

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return to form, 18 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Oceania (MP3 Download)
After the wholly underwhelming Zeitgeist I'd (almost) given up hope of hearing a good Smashing Pumpkin album again.

Oceania is an amazing album! the best the band (well Billy Corgan who is the only original member left) has produced since their Mellon Collie masterpiece, yes I think pound-for-pound this is better than Adore and Machina.

True to the sound foundations of Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie without being bound by them.

Azincourt
Azincourt
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Same formula - Same result - another winner!, 14 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Azincourt (Paperback)
Cornwell is the master of historical fiction and nobody does battles better, but of course he always writes to a formula. As many of the reviews have already said - this is the same old characters - given new names and a different historical era; with the same plot and structure as pretty much all the books Cornwell has written from Sharpe to the Grail Quest series.

All the usual elements are here: the wronged hero, the love interest, the evil protaganist(s) who just seem to heap more and more misery on our hero - and oh yes, a big battle looming.

So the standard Cornwell formula then - but you know what - the formula works! you know what you're going to get - and it's always a thumping good read.

Azincourt leans heavily on the excellent non-fiction account of the campaign: Agincourt: The King, the Campaign, the Battle - which I highly recommend for further reading. But if you want a good page-turning novel, which will give you an excellent overview of the Agincourt campaign and battle from a soldiers eye view - then read Cornwell's Azincourt.

As this book covers Soissons, the march to war, the seige of Harfleur and the Battle of Agincourt itself - in exquisite and gory detail - I think it could easily have been padded out into another trilogy - but Cornwell manages to capture it all in this one book, and for that reason I think Agincourt ranks amongst his very best work and almost certainly his best standalone novel.

Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era (Penguin history)
Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era (Penguin history)
by James M. McPherson

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best history book I ever read...., 25 Aug. 2002
I read this book around 8 years ago, and my opinion hasn't changed: if you're only going to read one book on the American civil war make it this one!
Mr McPherson's achievement is nothing short of miraculous, he encapsulates every aspect of the civil war from the political and social factors to the personalities involved, and some tremendous military details, the descriptions of the battles are so engrossing you can almost smell the gunpowder wafting off the pages. It's remarkable that he can cram so much detail into 900 or so pages and make it all so absorbing and readable.
But what really sets this great work apart in my opinion are two things:
1. The wealth of first hand accounts, from contemporaneous letters of all the soldiers private to the most famous generals, politicians and ordinary members of the public. These all contribute to make the war seem far more alive and real, it may have happened 140 years ago but when reading this book you'll sometimes feel like it happened yesterday.
2. The wealth of fascinating little details that puts the history into context, I quote a typical example "The casualties at Antietam numbered four times the total suffered at the Normandy beaches on June 6, 1944", I just plucked that one at random from my well thumbed copy here.