Profile for Mr. Andrew Burns > Reviews

Content by Mr. Andrew Burns

Mr. Andrew Burns "Andy Burns" (UK)

The Complete Guide to the Herschel Objects: Sir William Herschel's Star Clusters, Nebulae and Galaxies
by Mark Bratton

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, practical guide to the Herschel Catalogue, 23 Feb. 2014
As other reviews have said, this is an excellent, practical guide to the Herschel objects. It's not filled with pretty pictures, but rather realistic views of what you can actually see, and clear descriptions of the objects themselves. It's a bit weighty for the field, but as a reference book, very good. Arranging by constellation is very useful too.

Professional SharePoint 2007 Web Content Management Development: Building Publishing Sites with Office SharePoint Server 2007 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)
by Andrew Connell

5.0 out of 5 stars Good guide to advanced content management, not for beginners, 27 Feb. 2009
I've just read this, and I think it's an excellent book for covering the WCM features of SharePoint. The topics covered are well organised and clear. Examples and tips are practical, useful, and clearly based on real-world experience.

It is not an introduction to SharePoint development, and shouldn't be taken as such. It does leap into code fairly rapidly, and expects you to understand it!

I don't agree with the earlier reviewer that the book should have devoted more time to talking about customization vs development, or Visual Studio vs SharePoint Designer - he does cover that at the start of the book (Chapter 2). I found the detail to be good, and linking to the MSDN documentation for more details seems sensible to me.

All in all, for the specific task of WCM in SharePoint, I thought this book very good.

MCPD Self Paced Training Kit: Designing and Developing Web Based Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework (Certification Series)
by Mike Snell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not helpful for the exam, 5 Dec. 2007
I actually found the book generally pretty good, but some chapters were definitely better than others. A few, I felt, were very good, such as requirements gathering and use cases, modelling the application, and so on - but many of the later chapters were less useful. There seemed to be an inverse relationship between how many code examples there were, and how good a chapter was. I think that the chapters with little code assumed that if you were through to doing the MCPD exam, you can probably work the code out for yourself.

That said, the exam didn't really match up with my expectations, or what was covered in the book. If anything, the exam seemed to be about a lot of the stuff I'd covered previously in the MCTS exams. So neither really hit exactly what I felt I should've been examined on, and the book and exam didn't really cover the same areas. And there are probably better books out there for covering development generally.

Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally excellent series..., 25 Oct. 2005
I have no idea why they cancelled this - it is fantastic.
I know that the idea of a western in space sounds too weird, but the crazy thing is, it works. It is every bit as good as Buffy, with a similar snappy dialog, while being as unconventional science fiction like Farscape. I'm sufficiently impressed that I'd call it the best science fiction series I've ever seen. I'd give it 6 stars if I could.

Serenity [DVD] [2005]
Serenity [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film - and even better if you've seen the series..., 25 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I hadn't seen Firefly at all, but I saw it at the cinema, and thought that it was really good. The film felt a little rushed - not too much, but it was above Josh Whedon's usual pace (as in Buffy and Angel). Basically, it's a series in a film, and that cuts it shorter than it deserves. Lord, I hope there is a directors cut. Anyway, despite a feeling of berevity, it's an excellent film. It has depth, the Buffy-esque language, humour and drama. Some of the acting - especially in the villains - is excellent. I felt so involved by the end. Just trust me, it's good.
I've now got the series Firefly on the basis of it. The series is excellent - a slow extended first episode, but early Buffys and Angels weren't too great either, and it hots up after that. Why they cancelled the next series, I have no idea.
I'm giving the film four out of five by itself, but if you've seen Firefly, then it's a five. Watch them both.