Profile for R. Wilson > Reviews

Content by R. Wilson

R. Wilson "throwaway_hero" (newcastle, UK)

Wiretap Scars
Wiretap Scars
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 5.94

5.0 out of 5 stars wiretap scars, 15 Aug 2007
This review is from: Wiretap Scars (Audio CD)
for a start there is no need to constantly reference the mars volta, since it's a completely different sound (experimental progressive) whereas Sparta stick to a solid posthardcore sound, which is incredible.

I can't recommend this CD highly enough, these guys changed my whole music taste.

Porcelain
Porcelain
Offered by Renegade Sports Group Limited
Price: 6.57

5.0 out of 5 stars porcelain: the silent killer, 15 Aug 2007
This review is from: Porcelain (Audio CD)
I first heard porcelain a few years back and it didn't do a lot for me at first, but I listened to it for a second time and thought 'this is pretty good' and since then I can safely say Sparta are my favourite band, they combine solid percussion and riffs with resonant, epic sounding vocals and just never fail to hit the right notes. It's all to easy to compare Sparta with ATDI, but I have to say that before I got into Sparta I loved ATDI. Sparta are fantastic in their own right and don't really bear much resemblance to ATDI, but instead have found their own sound, and I'd recognise their music anywhere, it's great and everyone should own this album.

Suikoden (PS)
Suikoden (PS)

5.0 out of 5 stars speechless, 24 Feb 2006
This review is from: Suikoden (PS) (Video Game)
I remember when I was still in junior school and playstations first came about, i had my tekken, alien trilogy etc...
...then my uncle gave me a lend of Suikoden...holy christ, this game is so amazing, there is such passion to the storyline and there are parts that will make you cry, which are further enhanced by the amazing soundtrack. Also, get this one before Suikoden II, since you can load your original Suikoden Data to Suikoden II and you can actually recruit the 3 Main characters from the first game along your travels! yup! how ideal is that!?! dont be put off by the price either, its worth the amount of money it costs, it is a masterpiece.

City Of Evil [Pa Version]
City Of Evil [Pa Version]
Price: 6.04

4.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, 20 Feb 2006
I'll start by saying metal/hardcore/whatever genre this falls under is not my style, when it comes to music I stick with indie and classic rock. I heard 'bat country' somewhere so I got the album...I'm impressed, it's very entertaining, theres tons of brilliant guitar and drumming in every song, the album is incredibly cheesey, its obvious that they know this though.
I dont understand anyone who complains about this album, who cares if it doesnt sound the same as their last album? why SHOULD it? that would be lame and boring. Just stop being so intense about nothing and enjoy the album for what it is, which is a good listen.
The album is by no means Genius though, and i hereby give it 4/5 stars
worth buying.
I dont even like metal or progressive epic stuff but this is entertaining

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguements aren't meant to be good, 17 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Argument (Audio CD)
Where to start....I picked this album up purely because the cover looked good, I'd only vaguely heard of Fugazi before.
I heard they were 'post hardcore' and I had no idea what that was supposed to mean, but when listening to another great band, Sparta, I was trying to decide what genre they were...I thought of it as mellow hardcore, then it came to me, thats what post-hardcore is.
Fugazi are very much similar to Sparta. But with more definitive vocals. And The Arguement is brilliant, it has elements of Radiohead and even other things I can't quite place, the best tracks are Cashout, Epic Problem, The Kill, Strangelight and Oh, however there isnt a bad track on the album, every single song is great, the whole thing is brilliant, after 18 years Fugazi released this album, proving they are still brilliant and perhaps even better than they have ever been before.
Buy this album. even if you paid 20 quid for it you wouldn't regret it.

In On The Killtaker
In On The Killtaker
Offered by Hausmusik
Price: 17.08

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm on the kill taker, 17 Aug 2005
This review is from: In On The Killtaker (Audio CD)
Being a Fugazi fan, I found that 13 songs was a fine album, some great catchy and original tunes, though I find the best one to be the arguement, which is simply brilliant. So I decided after getting red medicine, I should get this one as I found it cheap.
I'm on the Kill Taker, it's a lot more difficult to get into than the previous albums, although its by no means a a bad album, in fact I really like it, theres some great tracks on here but you have to listen to the CD about 6 times before any tracks really stand out from the others. If you've got the patience, then get this CD. but most of their other albums are more highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing doesnt quite cover it, 5 July 2005
This review is from: The Argument (Audio CD)
I got their previous album '13 songs' and thought it was good so I went out and bought 'The Arguement', what can I say, from the first track it blew me away, absoloutely mindblowing is all I can say, this album is brilliant, I can't describe what the music sounds like, They do for punk what radiohead do for indie, make it bizarre, and twist it until it no longer fits any mould at all. Brilliant, I highly recommend this album to any fans of Sparta and At the drive-in. and pretty much anyone else for that matter, I think anyone can see the musical brilliance when they listen to this album.

Penance Soiree
Penance Soiree
Offered by westworld-
Price: 5.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 26 April 2005
This review is from: Penance Soiree (Audio CD)
Well i bought 'Mono' years ago and never really appreciated it til recently when I dug it out and gave it a listen, I found it had some brilliant tracks, having developed an Icarus Line buzz, I went and bought Penance Soiree, I got hooked on this album as soon as I put it on.
It starts with 'up against the wall...', the beat and bass in this song get stuck in your head, its a great track. a fair few tracks are confusing and just sound the same, not to say that they sound bad though. The best tracks here are 'Up against the wall', 'Spike Island', 'White Devil', 'Virgin Velcro'.
Another thing that impressed me with this album is that they decided to make some mellow songs, 'getting bright at night' and 'big sleep' which are great tracks. Cordamone's vocals are distant and hazy but also great, sounding a little like Jack White and the band in general soundin a little like iggy and the stooges. Anyway, this is a great album that is terribly underrated and unknown. get it and you'll feel special since liking this band is like having a great secret.

Song of Susannah : The Dark Tower VI
Song of Susannah : The Dark Tower VI
by Stephen King
Price: 18.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 9 Jun 2004
after reading up to WOTC i had bee desperate to read the next part, finally have, all I can say is, brilliant :), i wouldnt recommend starting with it (not that you're that stupid), The Dark Tower series are incredible