Profile for Ian > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Magic Blackout
Magic Blackout

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, but a bit pricy, 26 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Magic Blackout (Baby Product)
Very effective blackout. Unlike some of the reviewers, I don't have any difficulty making these stick, but it definitely helps to build up the static charge by smoothing the film down against the glass. They easily pick up dust and hair, so keep them off the carpet. The only thing not to like is the price, which seems a bit excessive, but what price a good night's sleep?

Super Saxoflute
Super Saxoflute
Offered by Just Childsplay

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and entertaining, 29 April 2016
This review is from: Super Saxoflute (Toy)
The other reviews are correct - some of the joins are very loose but this hasn't dampened the enjoyment of my two boys, 2 and 4. There are endless ways of putting the various tubes together. Not many of them really make a great deal of difference to the notes produced as the pitch is mostly determined by the distance to the first opening, but that doesn't seem to bother our noise-makers. While there are special pieces with finger holes you can't play a tune on it. Our eldest is just beginning to discover that if he makes a long tube with no openings then he can play low notes by blowing very gently and a variety of higher (and louder) notes by blowing progressively harder - his first physics lesson!

Wrangler Men's Chino Slim Trousers, Beige (Dachsund), W32/L32
Wrangler Men's Chino Slim Trousers, Beige (Dachsund), W32/L32

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality material but tiny pockets, 29 April 2016
The fabric is very heavyweight - almost more like the weight of jeans - so they should last for years of everyday use. There is a slight give to the fabric, which, even though the legs are a little on the narrow side, makes them comfortable to wear and reduces the 'pull' when bending down. The waist is definitely larger than advertised although with a belt this isn't really a problem. My biggest gripe is that the side pockets are very shallow indeed – barely large enough to take an ordinary sized wallet without it showing over the top. I'm almost tempted to cut them out and sew in larger ones but so far I haven't lost anything…

I've just noticed that the price has increased since I bought these. At the price I paid (£25) I'd say these are good value. Less so at the current price.

Lyle & Scott Men's Basic Chino Trousers, Dark Camel, W32/L32
Lyle & Scott Men's Basic Chino Trousers, Dark Camel, W32/L32

2.0 out of 5 stars Button fly - not as described, 1 April 2016
Contrary to the description, this has a button fly. For this reason I sent it back without even trying it on.

Koss UR-20 Stereo Headphones
Koss UR-20 Stereo Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value at the former price, 26 Feb. 2016
At the £17.90 price I paid, these are a steal. I use them at work to reduce distractions from chatter around me when the office starts to get a bit noisy with competing Lync calls, so sound quality isn't a number one priority. That said, they sound very reasonable. Regarding their noise blocking qualities, they don't seem to dampen the outside sound much when used alone. But it doesn't take much volume through them to make the surrounding conversations mostly unintelligible. I find listening to music too distracting most of the time, but some ambient waves on the shore or rain sounds from YouTube generally do the trick.

Dockers Men's SF Khaki Tapered Trousers W32 INxL32 IN
Dockers Men's SF Khaki Tapered Trousers W32 INxL32 IN

4.0 out of 5 stars They seem OK, 26 Feb. 2016
These fit me well. The only thing I don't like is that the waist band is quite heavy and doesn't lie particularly flat at the front. You can see this in the product photograph if you zoom in. I would have preferred a simple button and button hole. I can't yet say how hard-wearing these will be but the material seems more heavyweight than other chinos I've had. Four stars because they seem quite good, but I can't really get excited over a pair of trousers.

Otovent Glue Ear Treatment Pack
Otovent Glue Ear Treatment Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Too gentle, 26 Feb. 2016
This is a very safe way to apply a very gentle amount of pressure to your Eustachian tubes to help your ears pop. Unfortunately I found the amount of pressure was nowhere near enough to help me and I had much more success by swallowing a mouthful of water at the same time as blowing hard against my pinched nose (which does take some practice).

Ultra Bright LED Lantern - Camping Lantern - Collapses - Suitable for: Hiking, Camping, Emergencies, Hurricanes, Outages - Super Bright - Lightweight - Water Resistant
Offered by Grand Monkey - UK

5.0 out of 5 stars It's bright!, 26 Feb. 2016
You could light up a whole room with it. We bought it to use at home in case of a power cut. It seems well made, although I suspect you could design something much more compact that is just as bright.

New Horrizon - Replacement LCD Touch Screen Digitizer For Apple iPad 3 / 4 Retina NEW with Installed Home Button + Adhesive (White)
Offered by NewHorrizon

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product - but not an easy fix, 26 Feb. 2016
This is a good quality replacement. It was well packaged and fits the iPad very precisely. The glass was protected on both sides with a peel-off film. (Don't forget to remove it before sticking the new glass down.) I had already removed the old glass, so I cannot comment on the quality of the tools provided.

Replacing the glass on an iPad is not an easy job though. Removing the old glass was not a problem for because I had so comprehensively shattered it by dropping the iPad on a hard kitchen floor. But I had great difficulty unclipping the digitiser ribbon cable from the motherboard because I couldn't at first locate the tiny tabs on the socket that must be lifted to release the ribbon cable. Inserting the new ribbon cable is also very fiddly and it is crucially important to make sure that it is properly seated, otherwise the touch screen won't work properly after reassembly. I am CURSING myself because I didn't thoroughly test the entire surface of the touch screen before sticking down the new glass. I discovered only later that there is a smallish rectangular region in the top right corner that is unresponsive. This is almost certainly because I failed to seat the ribbon cable quite fully in the connector. Anyway, nothing wrong with the product and well worth a punt to restore a broken iPad to working order.

Kids Rule Giraffe And Monkey Plastic Roll-Up Height Measuring Chart. Includes Mini Sharpie Marker Pen, Measures From Birth To Adult. Choice Of 2 Designs
Offered by Zevek Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Should last a lifetime, 2 Sept. 2015
It's made out of tough plastic so should last a lifetime. The pen supplied with it is pretty useless (we got pale orange, but from reading the other reviews the colours seem to be random), but any ballpoint pen would work I think. My only real criticism is that perhaps it should have a reinforced hole at the top to make it easier to hang from a hook or nail.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5