Profile for ellis > Reviews

Content by ellis

ellis

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Disposal of the Living (Bello)
The Disposal of the Living (Bello)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... my way through Robert Barnard books on Bello with great enjoyment. This is a one-off set in a ..., 2 Nov. 2014
I am working my way through Robert Barnard books on Bello with great enjoyment. This is a one-off set in a small Yorkshire village "run by the amazons", echos of Cranford. The story is told by Helen, a feisty lady with a strong character and centres around the trouble caused by the appointment of a new vicar - but that is only background.

The Little World of Don Camillo
The Little World of Don Camillo

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Oct. 2014
A favourite from 40 years ago. A book to dip into - and an insight into a changed world.

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars The relationship between Cormoran and Robin is developing nicely, Matthew may become more interesting in future books, 8 Oct. 2014
Took this on holiday and kept entertained on long plane journey. I read "The Cuckoos Calling", and picked this up with anticipation. The relationship between Cormoran and Robin is developing nicely, Matthew may become more interesting in future books. The plot is convulated and the murder is grim, but I defy anyone not to read to the end.

The Singing Sands
The Singing Sands

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy all of Josephine Tey's books, 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Singing Sands (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy all of Josephine Tey's books. I read them all about 30 years ago and am now rediscovering them.

Mens True Face Hawaiian Printed Shirt Red L
Mens True Face Hawaiian Printed Shirt Red L
Offered by GAFFER DEALS

4.0 out of 5 stars as expected, 31 July 2014
Good quality material, bought for a themed party so not yet worn or washed, but looks good.

Malayan Swing
Malayan Swing
by Pete Haynes

4.0 out of 5 stars bleak, but very moving, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Malayan Swing (Paperback)
this book written in the voice of a severely disabled man, Aiden, is an eye opener for those of us who walk on the comfortable side of the street. I am aware of people like Aiden, but have no comprehension of the lives they lead. This book gives a (very bleak) picture of what life is like for those who live on the margins of society. Well written and very much worth reading.

The Angry Mountain
The Angry Mountain

4.0 out of 5 stars not one I remember, 4 Jun. 2014
In my teens I read loads of Hammond Innes, this must have been one I missed. Its a good, old fashioned thriller (with a few very old fashioned views). The eruption of Versuvious and the escape from the lava would make a terrific film.

Bulfinch's Mythology: the Age of Fable
Bulfinch's Mythology: the Age of Fable

4.0 out of 5 stars an old standby, 4 Jun. 2014
A fairly dry retelling of the ancient greek myths, with a nod to the romans. I had a paper copy of this book when I was younger and that was much easier to browse through, looking things up on kindle is not so simple. A favourite reference book.

Wild Horses (Dick Francis Library)
Wild Horses (Dick Francis Library)

5.0 out of 5 stars I've missed this, 13 May 2014
I love Dick Francis, I used to look forward to the new release at the end of each year. I thought I had read them all, but did not remember this one. There may be flaws, but the writing sweeps you along and the racing/film-making background is fascinating. A good old-style thriller.

Don't Tell the Groom
Don't Tell the Groom

3.0 out of 5 stars She got away lightly, 8 May 2014
the story revolves around a girl who has played on-line bingo and lost the major part of her wedding savings. She is too ashamed to tell her fiancé so says she will organise the "wedding of her dream" by herself and surprise him. Quite entertaining, but her cut price solutions did seem to fall into place very easily. There was a deeper message (dangers of the internet, value of honesty) but this was kept light, and secondary to the wedding problems such as finding a cheap dress and venue. Big problem written lite.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6