Profile for David Bevan > Reviews

Qwik Tune Snark Guitar, Bass and Violin Clip On Tuner
Qwik Tune Snark Guitar, Bass and Violin Clip On Tuner
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best clip on tuner I've bought, 18 Oct 2013
I have 4 of these now in our studio as they're just so good. Stable tuning lights, and more accurate/easy to use than the other much more expensive clips ons we've bought. An occasion where you don't need to spend big bucks to get the best. Don't even think twice, this is a great tuner.

Disney Winnie the Pooh Pendant Shade
Disney Winnie the Pooh Pendant Shade

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, daughter loves it, 18 Oct 2013
Not much more to say, it's a good quality product, doesn't look cheap or anything, good artwork, and our daughter loves it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, 18 Oct 2013
I bought this for my office where I'm sat down 8 hours a day. I was getting regular neck and upper shoulder pain. Not had any of that since buying the chair (been 4 weeks now). It was really easy to put together, took no more than 3 minutes!! It takes a little getting used to, especially the split seat, but it also makes sense and doesn't feel awkward, just different, and extremely supportive. It kind if wraps you into a comfortable, correctly postured sitting position.

I feel less tired when I get home, and I noticeably fidget less when working. It's expensive, but for me it's been worth it. It also looks amazing, and nearly everyone who's seen it has commented on how it looks. 10/10

Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf
Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf
Price: 8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive book about the greatest ever blues singer, 29 April 2013
This book is a must read for any blues fan, let alone Wolf fan. Amazing amount of detail, especially Wolf's band line ups on various recordings. Really opens up his character and paints a compelling picture of life as a blues musician at peak of it all. Fantastic to hear about his upbringing, work ethic and commitment to the blues. A inspirational musician and band leader. I've become an even bigger fan having read this book. Also check out Buddy Guy's biography. From a Chicago blues history perspective, some of the stories cross over and the Buddy Guy book offers a really cool counterpoint to this one (Buddy Guy played with both Wolf & Muddy Waters, and Muddy features quite a bit in this book as Wolf's main rival).

Sigma 15mm f2.8 Diagonal Fisheye For Canon Digital & Flim SLRCameras
Sigma 15mm f2.8 Diagonal Fisheye For Canon Digital & Flim SLRCameras
Price: 474.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lens, beats the Canon 15mm fisheye I tested it along side, 29 April 2013
We got this lens to photograph sessions in our recording studio which has lots of small spaces and relatively low light. I'd previously borrowed a Canon fish eye off a friend (same spec as this) and was sold on the usefulness of the wide angle immediately. I didn't expect the Sigma to have the same image quality as is less expensive, but the opposite was true ... to our eyes the Sigma photos actually look better. Maybe it's just because this is a newer lens, but either way, there is no way I would swap this lens for a Canon (and I have high-end Canon lenses I LOVE so am not a canon hater or anything!). If you're considering this against the Canon then don't even think twice, this is an amazing lens.

The Music Producer's Handbook: Music Pro Guides (Technical Reference)
The Music Producer's Handbook: Music Pro Guides (Technical Reference)
Price: 12.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Great source of information, 29 April 2013
Even if you've been recording for a long time, this book serves as a great reference for producing music. Perfect for those starting out, it gives a great overview of the producers role, along with great advice on how to deal with a multitude of situations, and how to run effective sessions. I run a recording studio but I'm not actively involved in sessions, so I bought this book to help fill in a few blanks, and to help me better communicate ideas with my engineer/producer and highlight areas where we could improve the experience for the artists who book with us. Definitely worth a read.

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Offered by BETTER CHOICES
Price: 77.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This lens produces the best photos I've taken, 11 Mar 2011
This lens was recommended to me by a friend who's a pro music photographer. I'm new to photography and the lens that came with my Canon D5 MKII was an f4. I shoot loads of musicians and studio sessions, and the f4 just isn't sensitive enough to cope in low light without flash and without getting motion blur.

The 50mm f1.8 is amazing!!! As long as I'm close enough to the subject, the lack of zoom isn't an issue, and the fact that you focus more on framing a good shot, rather than having the option (and temptation) to mess around with zoom, means the pics I'm getting are far better compositionally, and I'm shooting faster.

Some people have commented on build quality. I don't see how this is an issue unless you throw your gear around, and who does that? There's nothing wrong with the build quality, it's fine.

This is now my fav lens and it's on the camera all the time. I'd go as far as to say you NEED this lens. There is no compromise of image quality that my eyes can see, and used along side a 1500 f2.8 zoom lens I hired last week, the 50mm kicked it's ass 1000 times over. For low light, this lens is a life saver and a bargain!

Zoom Q3HD Handy Video Recorder
Zoom Q3HD Handy Video Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for audio, video not the best in low light, 11 Mar 2011
First off, if you're a musician/in a band and want to create video diaries, record rehearsals, film yourself practicing, film gigs for your own use etc, look no further. The Zoom Q3HD has the best quality audio recording of any small format video camera. It's impossible to distort the microphones when the camera is in auto gain mode. Anyone who's tried to film rehearsals/gigs on a small video camera before will be well aware of how awful the audio is. The Zoom audio is brilliant, and you get software included to maximise/normalise, add reverb afterwards etc.

The only downside is that if you move the camera quickly, the video side of things isn't brilliant. Quick movement makes the video pretty unwatchable as it goes jerky and blurred.
Also, the image quality greatly reduces in poor light.

This cam comes into it's own when mounted on a tripod and just left alone whilst you play.
With very careful use and good light, you could create nice videos for promo use as the HD quality if good, but I'd see this unit more for scrap book style videos.

I use mine to film bands who showcase to our company, to film my own practice at home, and I also bought one for an artist I work with to film a tour diary results of which can be seen here []

Every band should get one of these. You will find it useful and it's really easy to take everywhere with you.

Lowepro Fastpack 350 Quick Access Backpack for SLR Kit, 17" Notebook and General Gear - Black
Offered by RK Photographic
Price: 68.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality but no tripod holder, though I have found a solution, 11 Mar 2011
The backpack it's self is excellent quality with loads of space. I've managed to fit my Canon D5 MKII, plus a large 150-500mm sigma zoom lens, plus a 27-105mm cannon lens, plus a 50mm lens, plus my flash and various cables and defusers in the main compartment. I can fit my 17" macbook pro, iPad and a magazine or two in the laptop compartment at the back, plus accessories in the top compartment.

However, I can't find a tripod holder, either underneath or on the side! Very strange for a backpack of this type, and it's why I've only given it 4 stars.

I have fudged together a workable solution. There's a net water bottle holder on one side, so I can just about fit the bottom of my tripod into that, and I bought 2 black bungee cords with hooks on each end from Halfords and use these to wrap around the outside of the backpack to secure the top of the tripod. It's not perfect but it does the job.

This is the best backpack I could find of this size after a lot of looking around (takes the large zoom lens, easy access to your camera even whilst wearing it) and despite the tripod holder issue, it's well worth the money.

Vividly
Vividly
Price: 15.42

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mozart of guitar is back - Bensusan raises the bar again., 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: Vividly (Audio CD)
Vividly is another leap forward for acoustic guitar music. Pierre's last two albums Intuite and Altiplanos set a new direction for Pierre and feature some of the most amazing acoustic guitar composition and performance ever recorded. Vividly continues the theme with music so intense and inspired that you wonder where Pierre can possibly go next. IMHO, Pierre is one of the most important guitarists on the planet. His music sounds like he channels a direct connection with a higher power, true stream of consciousness stuff, effortless, inspirational and without comparison. There's little to satisfy the shred fraternity, but then Pierre's always tried to steer clear of pointless noodling for cheap and superficial attention. This is music so complex and challenging that even the most accomplished guitarist would struggle to perform even a few bars. Yet it sounds effortless and free. This is true master, doing what he wants, and setting a new benchmark for acoustic finger-style guitar. Stand out track is Coup dans l'Eau, possibly one the most amazing acoustic guitar pieces ever!

Page: 1 | 2