Profile for Jazz Fan > Reviews

Content by Jazz Fan

Jazz Fan (UK)

Offering - Live At Temple University
Offering - Live At Temple University

5.0 out of 5 stars However Resonance who were involved with this release have a great track record for issuing material, 14 Oct. 2014
I had previously heard an earlier release of some of this material and had not been impressed. However Resonance who were involved with this release have a great track record for issuing material, their Cecil Taylor release Nefartiti is brilliant. So as I like Ascension I thought I would give it a go. I am really glad I did as there is some great music on these two discs and given the source of the music i think Resonance have done a good job. I am not a huge fan of vocalising but even if you are resistant to its charms don't let it put you off as there is not a lot on the discs and the rest of the music more than compensates.

But only buy if you are a fan of late Coltrane and if you are not and want to get into it I would start elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 10:23 AM BST

Mozart: 45 Symphonies
Mozart: 45 Symphonies

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of symphonies, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Mozart: 45 Symphonies (Audio CD)
This is a very good value set of the symphonies. Originally I had one of the collection when issued singly. Couldn't believe how cheap the set was. Very very enjoyable recordings.

In St Cuthbert's Time
In St Cuthbert's Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel to Lindisfarne, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: In St Cuthbert's Time (Audio CD)
If you love Lindisfarne and like birds this is wonderful. You can hear the birds, the sea, seals, deer, cattle and the weather. When my wife and I play this we are transported back to this wonderful place. There is a marvellous CD leaflet both informative and beautiful. It is a consolation for not being able to get to the exhibition in Durham where I believe it was used in the Lindisfarne Gospel exhibition.

London Review of Books
London Review of Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for occasional readers, 25 July 2012
I used to subscribe to LRB but found I did not have time to read it all and read books as well. But I used to like to buy an issue as a treat when travelling , or on holiday . However Waterstones stopped stocking the magazine, I suppose they had to make space for selling drinks and expensive notebooks, and my local University bookshop closed down and I only managed to get hold of issues when travelling to London. Thanks to the Kindle edition it's now a pleasusre restored. It's easy to navigate and read in the Kindle format. The only thing missing are the adverts, not normally an issue with most magazines but I miss the LRB adverts.

Live at Newport 1966 & 1967 + bonus tracks
Live at Newport 1966 & 1967 + bonus tracks
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality poor, 16 Mar. 2011
A great band but the recording quality is poor. There are far better recordings of this group. The Plugged Nickel recordings are of far far better quality, the complete set is expensive but you can gate a highlights and that would be a better starting point than this recording. This is one for the completists.

Samsung DVD-SH871M/XEU Freeview+ 160GB HDMI Hard Drive Recorder
Samsung DVD-SH871M/XEU Freeview+ 160GB HDMI Hard Drive Recorder

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 18 Jan. 2009
Do not buy this. I concur with all the poor reviews. The software for the machine is hopeless. Video plus recording is very unreliable. Switching between HD and DVD is poor. I wish I had never purchased this. My previous Sony had excellent software but I replaced it with a Samsung because that one died after only 2 and half years of not especially heavy use.

Time Lapse
Time Lapse
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Evan Parker, 6 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Time Lapse (Audio CD)
This made the Radio 3 "Jazz on 3" list of CD's of the year and deservedly so. Many of the tracks have great beauty and lyricism. It's a haunting CD that gets under your skin.