Profile for E. Allison > Reviews

Content by E. Allison

E. Allison (West Midlands, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Offered by Deals Breaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy!, 6 April 2014
This was my first purchase of an electric toothbrush, so I didn't know what to expect but I was definitely unprepared for the noise it makes. Like being at the dentist! I also find that the on-off button is stiff and not very responsive. Altogether I'm not very impressed and I wouldn't particularly recommend it. Perhaps I should have gone for a more expensive model.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Can be too variable, 21 Jun. 2013
These scales have so far survived daily use in our bathroom for about a year and are still in good condition. They are large enough to accommodate all sizes of feet. The problem is that you can get slightly different results within 30 seconds of each other - it depends just where you place your feet. A good point is the small button on the back of the scales which converts the display very easily from imperial to metric readings. The display itself is easy to read but, from an appearance point of view, the window seems too small for the surface of the scales - a very minor defect admittedly.

The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
by Mark Forsyth

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally interesting, amusing and clever, 21 Jun. 2013
My husband bought this for me after hearing it discussed on Radio 4 and I/m very glad he did. It was really fascinating to read about the origins of so many words and the bonus was the very clever way in which Mark Forsyth connected the sections so smoothly throughout the book and managed to return full circle to his starting point. I was left wishing that there could be an index so the book could be used as a reference - but then it's intended to be entertaining as well as informative. My only concern is that some Christians may find a few (just a few) comments rather offensive.

The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language
The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language
by Mark Forsyth

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever but not quite as good as the Etymologicon, 21 Jun. 2013
The author goes through the day playing with words - unfamiliar but often fascinating words that at some time or other have been connected with the different times of day. It would have been very hard to equal the brilliant concept of the Etymologicon and to be honest I haven't found this as interesting but you still have to admire the breadth of knowledge on show here. It's by no means a heavy read though - plenty of humour.

Vim Vim Classic Scouring Powder 500G
Vim Vim Classic Scouring Powder 500G
Offered by Glamourwave

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back!, 21 Jun. 2013
Having been unable to find scouring powders in the shops for a long time I was really glad to see that I could buy it online. The product arrived safely in good packaging and has been put to good use. Modern cream-type cleaning products have their uses but sometimes clean only superficially.

4x Irish Red Setter Dog Picture Coasters Set Christmas Gift
4x Irish Red Setter Dog Picture Coasters Set Christmas Gift
Offered by Advanta Products

4.0 out of 5 stars These made a nice little gift., 31 Dec. 2011
The picture on the coasters is of a good quality. The mats themselves are fair enough at the price. The item arrived well packaged and in good condition. A very acceptable small gift for a friend who owns a red setter.

Irish Red Setter Puppy Dog Coffee Mug Birthday Gift Idea
Irish Red Setter Puppy Dog Coffee Mug Birthday Gift Idea
Offered by Advanta Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job,, 31 Dec. 2011
I had looked unsuccessfully for a Christmas present for a friend who is the proud owner of a red setter, so I was very pleased to find this item. It arrived very well packaged and my friend was really pleased with it. The quality was very acceptable for the price and I would certainly look at this company's products again.

The Hart of England
The Hart of England
by Pete Coxon

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful book., 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Hart of England (Paperback)
Pete Coxon has obviously had a great time researching this book and we can all enjoy the tesult. It's very attractively produced, including the eye-catching cover and full colour illustrations of inn signs on every page, and there's enough information to make it well worth keeping for reference. I think it will make an excellent Christmas present (especially good value at the Amazon price). My only slight disappointment is that this quintessentially English book has been printed in China.

Birmingham's Victorian and Edwardian Architects
Birmingham's Victorian and Edwardian Architects
by Phillada Ballard

5.0 out of 5 stars Wider interest than the title might suggest, 28 Jan. 2011
I bought this book mainly for its chapter on one particular architect but I've found that it has a wider interest, since it covers a range of architectural styles and also contains contributions by a range of specialists. I think it would be a good source of information for anyone with even an amateur interest in architecture. It is a handsome (and weighty) volume, very well illustated throughout with colour and b & w photographs. I don't think the price is excessive for a book of this quality.

Citizen Ladies Eco-drive 2 Tone Watch EW1544-53A
Citizen Ladies Eco-drive 2 Tone Watch EW1544-53A

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch face - pity about the date display., 22 Jan. 2011
I was really pleased to find this stylish watch on sale because I wanted a clear face with ordinary numbers rather than Roman numerals and that's about as rare as hens' teeth. The bracelet is easy to fasten and comfortable to wear. The eco-drive facility should prove to be an asset. However, if you particularly want a watch that shows the date I wouldn't go for this one because the display is tiny and frankly a waste of space. Otherwise I would have given this watch 5 stars. The packaging ensured that it arrived in perfect condition. Unfortunately this was 5 days after the estimated date. The free delivery is via Royal Mail and untrackable, so I wish I'd paid a bit extra for a better service.

Page: 1 | 2