Profile for W A Harbinson > Reviews

W A Harbinson

Rage and Glory: The Volatile Life and Career of George C.Scott
Rage and Glory: The Volatile Life and Career of George C.Scott
by David Sheward

4.0 out of 5 stars Book arrived on time and in perfect condition. To be upfront and avoid accusations of ..., 14 Feb. 2016
Book arrived on time and in perfect condition. To be upfront and avoid accusations of a conflict of interests, I should state that I wrote the first biography of George C. Scott many years ago when he was still alive (it has long been out-of-print), so I was keen to read this latest, and rare, addition to his complete life story. I thought it was a solid job of work and covered just about everything you'd want to know about this great but deeply troubled - and troublesome - alcoholic actor. If I give it one star short of five, it's not because of a lack of quality, but only because Scott reached his peak of popularity with the blockbuster movie, Patton, and his film career thereafter was hardly inspiring - so my interest in him from then on was kind of muted. But David Steward has written a good book about a great actor almost forgotten these days.

Ayn Rand and the World She Made
Ayn Rand and the World She Made
by Anne Conover Heller

5.0 out of 5 stars Book arrived on time and was in perfect condition. As a biographical study of a very ..., 14 Feb. 2016
Book arrived on time and was in perfect condition. As a biographical study of a very good writer, crazy philosopher and very strange woman, namely Ayn Rand, it made for an impeccably researched and riveting read. I was not disappointed.

Giant (Special Edition) [DVD] [1956]
Giant (Special Edition) [DVD] [1956]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly giant movie!, 26 April 2015
One of my all-time favourite movies combined with really good extras in a very nice box. Loved it!

Lagan River, Black Mountain: 1: The Long Slide: Volume 1
Lagan River, Black Mountain: 1: The Long Slide: Volume 1
by Dennis Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing U.S. Reviews, 4 May 2014
Given the present enormous media attention on 'the Troubles' in Belfast in general and Gerry Adams in particular, why are the terrific American reviews of both 'Lagan River, Black Mountain' volumes not being duplicated on Amazon UK?

Miles Walker's Diary
Miles Walker's Diary
by Miles Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles Walker's Diary, 10 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Miles Walker's Diary (Paperback)
I confess to a personal interest, since many years ago I worked for a highly idiosyncratic magazine publishing house, Stonehart Publications, located in Goodge Street, London (since immortalized in the famous Donovan song), where, during a riotous Christmas party, mere days after my start with the company, Miles Walker introduced himself to me by pouring a tin of multicolored paint over his own head (thankfully, he was wearing a white smock at the time) and saying, 'I'm the art designer of the magazines and this is my proof. So, who are you?'

We are talking about a true eccentric, are we not?

Miles Walker and I became close friends but, alas, our paths took us off in different directions, his to Canada and mine to various countries, so we have only met occasionally, but always fondly, over the past couple of decades. Nevertheless, he remains, still alive and well, as one of the two oldest friends that I have.

So how can I write an objective review of his book? I cannot. Let me say only that we have spent many an hour, over many a year, arguing about films, books, music and art, rarely agreeing about anything but remaining close friends, and with Miles generally favoring (against my artistic conservatism) the more far-out, bizarre, surrealistic, Daliesque forms of expression, both in art and in literature (which may explain his contribution of art work to the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine" movie). So...this single-volume display of his varied and manifest talents - his prose, poetry and illustrations - may therefore be of particular interest to those who appreciate the work of defiantly individual, even eccentric, writers and idiosyncratic, surrealist artists. Certainly it's one of my more treasured possessions.

Is this an objective review? Of course not! But why should it be? One of my fave-raves about Amazon 'reviews' is their clear lack of supposed 'objectivity'. They're not really 'reviews' - they're personal opinions - and that's how it should be. And that's what this particular 'review' is.

Now place your order for this Miles Walker book. He's a good friend of mine!

Anatomy Of A Murder [DVD] [2001]
Anatomy Of A Murder [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ James Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtroom shenanigans, 10 Jun. 2012
This is quite simply the best courtroom drama ever put on film, a drop-dead combination of intrigue, tension and laconic humour, with a highly literate script and great performances all round. Lee Remick is gorgeous and seductive as the possibly 'raped' wife in the case. Ben Gazzara is marvelously ambiguous as the accused killer of his wife's supposed rapist. George C. Scott is riveting as the prosecuting attorney fencing with Jimmy Stewart, the latter portraying, brilliantly, a defense lawyer whose air of amiable distraction hides a brain as sharp and cold as a blade. Directed impeccably by Otto Preminger and with a sublime jazz score by Duke Ellington, this is one of the classic black & white movies of the late 1950s. They don't make 'em like this any more!

The Rise and Fall of the Murdoch Empire
The Rise and Fall of the Murdoch Empire
by John Lisners

5.0 out of 5 stars Journalistic Hijinks, 10 Jun. 2012
Though I've never personally worked for newspapers, I spent three years working for Paul Raymond Publications, then located in Chronicle House, directly facing the Daily Telegraph, so I met a lot of the journalists in the glorious Street of Shame, retain fond memories of it, and love reading books about it. I bought The Rise and Fall of the Murdoch Empire for that reason, but also because I am presently fascinated by the ever-widening swamp of Rupert Murdoch's present troubles and the related phone-hacking and BSkyB scandals.

I was not disappointed. A practicing lawyer as well as a journalist, author John Lisners worked for various Murdoch newspapers as an investigative reporter, personally met Rupert Murdoch, was once temporarily banned from working for Murdoch publications because he offended the Great Man with certain sensational exposes, and clearly knows what he is talking about when he charts the rise and fall of News International and those associated with it, including Messrs Coulson, Hunt,Osborne, Cameron and the reportedly charming Rebekah Brooks. However, I also loved this book because it is filled with fascinating glimpses into the lives of a wide variety of dodgy characters, including crooked cops, violent criminals, dodgy politicians, professional prostitutes, demented celebrities, sinful men of the church, and general weirdos. How John Lisners managed to survive them all, I just can't imagine.

If you want a definitive picture of Rupert Murdoch and his empire, if you want to know how journalists interact with politicians, the police and the general public, if you want to be shocked, outraged and amused, I'd recommend this book. Personally, I loved it.