Profile for Elizabeth R > Reviews

Northbrook
Northbrook
by Richard Hoare

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful ghostly tale..., 15 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Northbrook (Paperback)
This is a very enjoyable read;there are two parallel stories which are brought together by Ermine, who was a maid in Edwardian times and is the beautiful ghostly presence in the school now occupying the same grand old house in which she worked.
The author paints the story of the school in modern times, with its inevitable day to day dramas, set against the backdrop of the old building and the effects of a very interested ghost!
This is a complete contrast to the story of Ermine, growing up with 'Ma' and the various other intriguing characters in her life, and the sudden and surprising turn her life takes. Her story was,for me, the best part. It left me wanting more.

Spider-Man: Spider-Man Versus the Green Goblin (I Can Read Book 2)
Spider-Man: Spider-Man Versus the Green Goblin (I Can Read Book 2)
by Susan Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Spider Man, 18 Feb. 2011
My 3(and a half) year old grandson loves this book (and others like it) we have to read them over and over. The story doesn't amount to much( thats why I've given it 4 stars) but he loves the pictures. We do of course read other more traditional books as well, but these are fun and to me much better value than comics. Also he likes to try to read some of the words which is a plus!

Right Handed Children's Scissors
Right Handed Children's Scissors
Offered by STATIONERY24/6

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Red Scissors, 18 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Right Handed Children's Scissors
My 3 year old grandson was always frustrated as he wanted to do his own cutting out, but I couldn't let him have any of my scissors. These little scissors are just right for his little hands, giving him many hours of enjoyment (with supervision of course as they are quite sharp).Because they are the right size for him he has mastered the technique of cutting which is no easy task to start off with!

Karate for Kids (Martial Arts for Kids Series)
Karate for Kids (Martial Arts for Kids Series)
by Robin L. Rielly

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 18 Feb. 2011
I bought this book for my 6 year old grandson who is very keen on Karate, I was having trouble finding anything suitable for his age group. The front cover is very appealing and that and the illustrations kept him happy for ages initially though he is not up to reading it alone yet. I have to read it with him and it gets a bit heavy going,although the descriptions of some of the movements are very detailed (he sometimes expects me to do them with him)! However I am sure he will get lots of pleasure reading it for himself later on.