Profile for JOHN CROSBY > Reviews

Jack Bruce -Rope Ladder To The Moon [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Tony Palmer
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars This release could have been so much more., 12 Dec. 2014
This release could have been so much more.

I've given this DVD 3 stars but that's simply for the interview with Tony Palmer, which is a good one and explores the director's motivations in making the documentary and provides some fine anecdotes about its recording.

The film itself would be only 1 star as it seems to be a reconstruction from recovered material (not all found, according to the notes). Consequently, there are parts of the original BBC Omnibus broadcast version that are missing here, among them a very noticeable, clunky edit in an outdoor Scottish castle scene. The aspect ratios have not been equalised so it's impossible to either watch in widescreen or 4:3 without footage suddenly going too wide or too narrow. I'll keep it for the interview and hope, somewhere along the line, we get a fully restored version of the kind that Palmer did recently with his Leonard Cohen 'Bird On A Wire' documentary. For now, disappointed.

ZY HIFI Cable Sennheiser HD650 HD600 HD580 HD525 HD565 Headphone Upgrade HIFI...

5.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement in sound quality and a fast service, 3 Nov. 2014
I bought this cable to replace the stock one on my HD565 headphones. I'd always had a pretty good sound from the latter as I clean the headphone connecting plugs and the jackplug a couple of times a year. However, the sound quality was a great improvement with the ZY cable. Sound stage was more spatial and the frequency range was wider and deeper. I played a variety of old favourites that I know well - Grateful Dead's 'American Beauty', Prince Far I 'Cry Tuff Dub Encounter 3' and George Enescu's various symphonies - and found I was hearing details that hadn't really sounded that clear before. The cable is quite thin (Amazon's photo makes it look bulky) but flexible and has no audible microphonic qualities to my ears. The delivery by the Chinese company was incredibly fast - only five days to the UK for my purchase - and there was no customs problems as the paperwork with the item was properly done. One of my audio 'best buys' of recent years.

Bosch TWK3A034GB Village Kettle, 1.7 Litre, 3000 Watt, Red
Bosch TWK3A034GB Village Kettle, 1.7 Litre, 3000 Watt, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars This seems like an excellent kettle, 29 Sept. 2014
This seems like an excellent kettle. It's relatively quiet compared to others I've owned before. The quarter-turn twist lock lid is a useful safety device and very simple to use. There are measures scaled on the side from 1 cup / 0.5 litre upwards and these do match up with an average mug in volume. It also appears to use less energy than my previous kettle though I'm only judging this from a simple energy monitoring device. The weight of the kettle is good and it fits snuggly on the base. Stylish in looks, too.

Inside Llewyn Davis
Inside Llewyn Davis
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocation of an era, 2 Jun. 2014
Loosely based on Dave Van Ronk's book Mayor Of MacDougal Street, this is another fine Coen Brothers movie with exemplary performances from the likes of Oscar Isaac and Justin Timberlake. And no, I never expected to ever say that last phrase but Timberlake rises to his film role. Capturing New York, Chicago and the bohemian folk America of 1961, it's a joy to watch and hear, even if the main characters are presented as flawed with all the cultural and personal warts of the times on display.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black (18.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD (New for 2014)

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning - HD files do not download to Macs, 5 April 2014
This is a superb camera for taking still images - photos are truly excellent - and my partner (for whom I bought the camera as a present) will be posting a fuller review soon. However, a word of warning on the HD films it takes. These are in AVCHD and will not download to most Apple Macs, particularly any with iMovie older than the most recent version. To be honest, if we had known this, I wouldn't have bought it but you will search fruitlessly for such information either here on the Amazon product details or elsewhere online. Once you're faced with this problem and input something to Google such as 'AVCHD files downloading to Apple Mac', there are lots of disgruntled users postings that emerge. Be warned. 3-stars are here simply because the HD isn't a compatible Mac format and the lack of advance warning before purchase.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2014 6:10 PM BST

PremiumDigital Sony NP-FP50 / NP-FP51 Replacement Camcorder Battery
PremiumDigital Sony NP-FP50 / NP-FP51 Replacement Camcorder Battery
Offered by premiumdigital

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for original Sony battery, 5 April 2014
These are a bargain. I bought two, they charged perfectly in a couple of hours and seem to have reinvigorated my videocam which had become sluggish as the original battery had come to the end of its working life. O.K., I've only had them a couple of days but they seem to hold the charge well, last for in excess of 90 minutes each charge and appear to be every bit as good as the others that you see elsewhere for up to £36 each.
(The specs on this product, by the way, are listed as 7.2v / 800mAh (as per my original battery) but the ones I received are 750mAh / 7.2v. That said, they actually seem to work better on my videocam and charge perfectly well on the original charger.)

Samsung M8 1TB 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 3Gpbs Internal Hard Drive -PS3/PS4 Compatible
Samsung M8 1TB 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 3Gpbs Internal Hard Drive -PS3/PS4 Compatible

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade for PS3 Super Slim, 27 Mar. 2014
I bought the PS3 12GB Super Slim and upgraded it to 1TB using this excellent internal hard drive.

You will need a Sony PlayStation 3 Replacement Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Mounting Bracket to facilitate this upgrade and an external FAT32 drive to backup everything in advance of the upgrade. However, the whole operation is very straightforward and, if you don't already have a huge amount of games data to transfer, takes less than 30 minutes.

The new drive came up immediately and upgraded itself to the latest firmware - I didn't even follow the PS3 update folder route listed elsewhere as my main computer systems are all Apple Mac and that action would have required a Windows machine. Everything came back up without any need for passwords being re-entered or re-loaded.

The new drive is, for me, only marginally quieter than before but it is certainly faster and smoother. Very pleased with it so far.

Sony PS3 12GB Super Slim Console (PS3)
Sony PS3 12GB Super Slim Console (PS3)
Offered by eoutlet-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV / Internet Hub, 11 July 2013
I bought this console primarily to get ITV Player and 4OD and gain internet access to other arts sites online. I already subscribed to MUBI, for instance, and, whereas my TV can access that sites films, the PS3 could also show their mini-film festival short movies too (the latter didn't even show up with just TV access to MUBI).
The PS3 Super Slim does all of the above and has an excellent Blu-ray player built in as well. I can't comment on its games facilities as haven't yet tried them (a low priority for me) but the rest is exactly what I'd been looking for. The quality of the picture and audio is brilliant, marginally better than the direct internet access via my Sony Bravia HD TV.
The console is quiet in operation (though not absolutely silent like my other separate Blu-ray Player).
It is reasonably easy to set up and the online software update works fine.
Excellent so far.

SONY PLAYSTATION 3 SUPER SLIM VERTICAL STAND FOR CECH-4000 SERIES
SONY PLAYSTATION 3 SUPER SLIM VERTICAL STAND FOR CECH-4000 SERIES
Offered by gamebooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Anchors your PS3 Super Slim perfectly, 5 July 2013
What this PS3 SuperSlim vertical base has over its competitors is its weight. It screws into the slot in the bottom of the PS3 (you simply remove the rubber stopper that covers the screw thread on the latter). The base itself is about 60% the width of the PS3 when vertical so its 'footprint' is small. I've loaded and unloaded Blu-ray discs, put HDMI and USB cables in and out of their sockets, and the PS3 doesn't move at all. When you've spent money on a PlayStation, you don't want it accidentally being pushed or knocked over; this definitely helps prevent that. O.K., compared with the competition, it is slightly more expensive but I'm glad I bought this one.

Cat6 1m Gigabit Ethernet Cable - Blue
Cat6 1m Gigabit Ethernet Cable - Blue
Offered by CDL Micro

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality ethernet cable at a bargain price, 30 Mar. 2013
I needed a couple of short runs of ethernet cable for both my TV and Blu-Ray player. These are proving far superior to the previous ones I was using (one of which ceased working after a couple of years). These new ones seem more stable with internet HD transmissions and the colour coding is good because they are easily traceable amongst my various strands of cabling. Excellent so far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3