Profile for Derek Brown > Reviews

Content by Derek Brown

Derek Brown (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Transcend 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Military-Grade Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backup software too, 2 April 2015
Slightly bigger than some external drives that you can buy today - but they need a case for protection.
I have several portable external drives, by different manufacturers, but the Transcend is my favourite.It is small, easy to handle and I feel comfortable carrying it around with me without keeping it in a separate case.
It comes with Transcend Elite backup software and Transcend Toolbox (for ease of formatting, which will be necessary for large files - the drive came formatted as FAT32 but I needed to re-format it as NTFS for my very large files).
I have used three other backup software programs before but having now used Transcent Encrypt/Decrypt, that is what I will be using in the future.
I certainly recommend this external drive.

Redshift 8 Premium (PC)
Redshift 8 Premium (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good but check OpenGL version, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Redshift 8 Premium (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have tried two free Astronomy programs but, in my opinion, Redshift 8 is far better and worth paying for.
HOWEVER, it is advisable to check that it will run on your PC/Laptop before buying. I have both a PC and a Laptop but becuase the latest versions of the free software would not run on the PC (the graphics card is running OpenGL version 1.1), I checked the 'system requirements' for Redshift 8 but it only mentioned "OpenGL" and not the version number. I found that Redshift 8 would NOT run with OpenGL version 1.1. My Laptop is running OpenGL version 3.3 and runs Redshift 8 without any problem.
If you are unsure about your version of OpenGL you can download, install and run "OpenGL Viewer" - this will give you the version number.
I found Redshift 8 very easy to use and I am very pleased with the purchase.

Tenore
Tenore

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Tenore (Audio CD)
A superb choice of tracks - well worth waiting for the release of this album.
I only ever enjoyed listening to Pavarotti's performances .... until Jonathan was discovered - this is a fantastic first solo album.
Now looking forward to his next album.

Samsung M3 Slimline 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 Slimline 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardware very good but ...., 31 Aug. 2014
The hardware is very good - compact and lightweight with good capacity and speed.
However, I was not impressed by the software. On both Windows 7 and Windows 8, I found that it was very frustrating to use with errors not adequately explained and difficulty in disconnecting the drive (it once crashed my Windows 8 system).
I have many years IT experience, so I know what I am doing, but I had very little confidence in the backup software that cam with the drive.
I have now removed the software and I am using alternative backup software instead.

Plugable® Windows Transfer Cable for Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP. Includes Bravura Easy Computer Sync Software
Offered by Plugable Technologies

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 30 July 2014
I bought this because the file transfer adapter that I had been using, no longer worked after upgrading my PC to Windows 8.1.
This transfer cable works absolutely fine (Windows 8.1 on one system and Windows 7 on the other). I downloaded the software and installation was simple. Very fast reply to my email for the (free) Bravura product key.
I am extremely pleased with this purchase.

Q2 Wi-Fi Internet Radio with Full Motion Tip and Tilt Control - Blue (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and use, 21 Jun. 2014
I bought this for my wife who suffers from arthritis and consequently has difficulty operating a radio that has small buttons that could be pressed accidentally when using or moving it.
It was easy to set up using the computer and it works perfectly in the house, garden and (in particular) the greenhouse.
Only having four channels available without connecting to the computer is not inconvenient when you consider the benefit of having a radio that, once set up, only requires the operation of an on/off switch.

Norton Ghost 15 - 1 User (PC)
Norton Ghost 15 - 1 User (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Think carefully before buying, 21 Jan. 2013
I should have known better, after all the problems that I had with Symantec products a few years ago.
After all sorts of errors, un-installing and re-installing a few times, I have now removed this product from my laptop. Norton Ghost had caused errors in Norton Internet Security 2012 (the solution offered was to install an updated version of Norton Internet Security) and then generated errors when I tried to back-up files and folders (I could image the whole drive, but that takes many hours!).
I have come to the conclusion that just having one Symantec product installed stands a good chance of working but installing two or more could be asking for problems.
If you can afford it, consider buying an external drive with "built-in" backup software. I now have a 2TB 'Western Digital My Passport' disk with WD SmartWare Software and that works fine.
Norton Ghost 15 ....... a costly mistake.

Family Historian 5 Deluxe Genealogy Software (PC)
Family Historian 5 Deluxe Genealogy Software (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product, 6 July 2012
I had been using Family Tree Maker and recently upgraded from the 2011 to the 2012 version. After having purchased the FTM Charting Companion and found that their Support could not provide a solution when it would not install, I looked for alternative software and found Family Historian 5.

I have now migrated my family tree to Family Historian 5 because I found it to be far better software. More information can be seen on the screen without having to click on another 'tab' but best of all are the printing options where it is possible to move either the whole chart or parts of the chart to give a better fit on the page(s) when printed.

Family Tree Maker probably looks better on screen but Family Historian 5 has a better screen layout and is functionally better.

If you are not sure about Family Historian 5, download the 30-day trial first before buying. I did (and Roots Magic also) but for me Family Historian 5 is the best buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2013 6:46 PM GMT

Original Rubik's cube
Original Rubik's cube
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - May not be as expected, 20 May 2012
When it arrived, the product was not as described.
There was no solution guide or 'additional games' booklet.
Because the one page (and product description) is for the Rubik's Cube provided by more than one supplier, it appears that they may not be supplying the same item exactly. The 7 images I found on the page, showed 2 different types of packaging - the one that I receive was neither of these.
So you can really only be certain of getting the Rubik's Cube.
However, note that you can download solutions from various web sites including 'rubiks.com'.
Apart from that the product was very good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2012 11:23 AM GMT

Lower Blood Pressure Naturally: Acupressure, Food, and More
Lower Blood Pressure Naturally: Acupressure, Food, and More

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book., 23 April 2012
Do not waste your money on this book!

Unfortunately it seems that you cannot see the 'Contents' on the Kindle versions until you buy them.

The title of this book is "Lower Blood Pressure Naturally. Acupressure, Food and more".

I bought the book because I was interested in the "Acupressure" mentioned in the title, but it says very little about "Acupressure and Blood Pressure" other than it lowers stress, increases blood circulation and lowers blood pressure.
The very few pages about acupressure are in the chapter titled "Acupressure 101". The book does not explain the meaning of "101" but a search of the internet indicates that it refers to the page number (in the index) of another book - different author.

The chapter starts by saying "Use deep firm pressure to massage every point" but it does not tell you what/where they are or how to do it.
Does it really mean "every point"? One of my acupressure books indicates that you need to be careful with some points (e.g. Governor Vessel 20) if you suffer from high blood pressure. It says "You do not need to massage all active points included in the exercise". Active? What is an "active point"? What exercise? Is there something missing from the book? Yes there is - this section is identical to a page in "Acupressure Guide:Alleviate Headaches, Neck and Joint Pain, Anxiety Attacks and Other Ailments [Kindle Edition]" by Dr Stein and published in 2005 - that is, identical except for the accompanying diagrams.

For me this book is absolutely a waste of time and money. It is misleading and confusing (in respect of the acupressure section at least).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3