Profile for B. Smith > Reviews

Content by B. Smith

B. Smith "Brian" (London, UK)

Welcome To The Jungle (LP Version)
Welcome To The Jungle (LP Version)

3.0 out of 5 stars Inventive, 17 Aug 2011
I really enjoyed some of the tracks interpreted in an interesting way and some cases sounding like they were the originals. Mixing the new (well at the time) with the style of a 50's song. Sort of like a mash up.

My only problem with it is some of the choices of songs I guess are very much of their time. Which dates it more than anything. But that's the beauty of downloading, choose the one's you want. Some are just classics that don't suffer from age. Such as their cover of Talking Heads Once in a lifetime.

Though looking retro it ahead of it's time concept. I wish Rhino would re-release it with bonus tracks of all their other material. or even better get the band back in teh studio I'd love to hear what they would do with Winehouse's Rehab.

12" 80s Alternative
12" 80s Alternative

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring it on!!, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: 12" 80s Alternative (MP3 Download)
So good to finally have these all on three cd's. Some Ihave been after for a long time. If you are a fan of the 12"/80's series and of 80's electronica and indie you won't be dissapointed. Some of these I had never heard before such as The Fall's Telephone Thing and I have to ask myself how come I never heard this at the time? I would have loved it even more than now.

The only things I would have changed about it is having The Cure's 12" of Let's Go to Bed or Love Cats as I already have Hot Hot Hot on their Mixed Up album.

Perfect Kiss instead of Blue Monday and as the other reviewer mentioned The Cult, or prehaps Sister's of Mercy's 10 minute plus version of the Dominion. But let's wait and see there's always teh chance of 12"/80s vol 2.

note: it mentions there's a FB group to discuss it. Just checked doesn't seem to exist. shame because It would be good to hear other people thoughts and ideas.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2011 12:52 PM BST

Dream On
Dream On

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole New Take, 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dream On (MP3 Download)
This idea has been done quite alot now, but when this came out in 2004 it was a whole new idea. These covers are very refreshing from the usual covers around. In some cases better then teh originals. My favourite has to be With Or Without You.

Twitchy
Twitchy

5.0 out of 5 stars Twitch till you itch, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Twitchy (MP3 Download)
I first heard this on vinyl years ago. On some Speciality compilation. It was great to see it available at last to buy. It's an unsual peice. Very gritty.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2011 2:25 PM BST

Ava Maria
Ava Maria

5.0 out of 5 stars simplistically beautiful, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Ava Maria (MP3 Download)
We used this music for our wedding as we walked down the aisle. It was the perfect peice to have.

Madder Red (Henning Fürst Remix)
Madder Red (Henning Fürst Remix)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamy Pop, 18 Nov 2010
Just hearing this takes me back to how 80's remixes were done. I like the slight exotic touch to the mix. It's almost like Trevoy Horn had a dabble in it. I look forward to more like this from them.

Easy Stars Lonely Hearts Dub Band
Easy Stars Lonely Hearts Dub Band
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Stars make it sound easy, 29 Jun 2009
Overall it's a great album but it's a bit more of a grower than the other two. What really works for me is She's Leaving Home what a sweet voice.

Only thing that dissapoints me is it doesn't have the dub versions at the end like the other two albums. Though there is a link where you can download them from their site but the bit rate issn't great for those. I would much rather have them on the album itself.

As for what ever they do next...well I understand that the idea is to "re-do" concept albums. How about Bowie's Ziggy Stardub and the Dreads from Mars?

NOKIA N73
NOKIA N73

2.0 out of 5 stars not the phone but the software, 5 July 2008
This review is from: NOKIA N73 (Electronics)
I have had repeated problems with the software that comes with the phones. called Nokia PC Suite. It's absolutely useless!! It crahes all the time aND DOES NOT TRAQNSFER MUSIC FILES LIKE IT SHOULD.

The phones itself works OK though no complaints there. But what good is there having an MP3 player on it if I can't use it?

12" 80s Love
12" 80s Love

2.0 out of 5 stars 7 inches of Love, 26 Feb 2008
This review is from: 12" 80s Love (Audio CD)
I too have nooticed that quite a few versions here are just the single versions not the 12" versions. I should have known it would be hard to fit The Poer of Love and Moments in Love plus 10 other remixes onto one CD. a bit of a give away. I am dissapointed with the folk at Family Recordings!!