Profile for Hobby Philosopher > Reviews

Content by Hobby Philosopher

Hobby Philosopher (London, UK)

Understanding Personality Disorders: An Introduction
Understanding Personality Disorders: An Introduction

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely badly written, 21 Sept. 2012
I chose this book because I'm interested in personality disorders, and it seems to be one of the few books for laymen in Amazon's catalogue that gives an overview of all the types of personality disorder rather than looking only at one or a few of them. And for all I know, it may be insightful. But I will never find out, because I found it impossible to read. It is as badly written as the first draft of a high-school essay started the night before the deadline. Seriously, it's embarassing. The editor must be partly responsible for letting something like this slip through, but surely the author did not spend any time at all revising his text. And it's not that I'm normally bothered by linguistic style, but in this case the way the book is written is so bad that it completely get in the way of what the author is trying to convey. Unfortunately by the time I started reading it, it was more than a week since I had purchased it in the Kindle store, so I can't return it and get my money back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2014 12:48 AM BST

Brother MFC7840W Mono A4 Multifunction Printer
Brother MFC7840W Mono A4 Multifunction Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Smallest all-in-one duplex printer, 28 July 2012
I was looking for a compact wireless all-in-one printer with copier/scanner and duplex (double-sided) mono laser printing and no ugly paper trays sticking out. This is the one I ended up with. I've had it for a couple of months now, and I'm very pleased with it. Printing/scanning/copying works great. It also has a fax function, though I haven't tested it and don't think I will use it much. If you want colour printing this is not the machine for you, but I specifically wanted only black/white printing.

Some previous reviewers have written that it's noisy when not in use. While it does whirr for a few minutes after printing, it is *very* quiet after that. For the record, I'm using the wifi connection.

I have no complaints, and recommend this printer.

Clippasafe Mini Multi-Purpose Latches
Clippasafe Mini Multi-Purpose Latches
Offered by Saving world

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 3 Mar. 2012
First of all, they are not mini. They are as big as most other child locks. Second, they are very hard to open even for adults. Definitely not something you would want to put on drawers or cupboards you need to open regularly. So hard to open, in fact, that the doublesided tape tends to give way.

Free Will: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Free Will: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Thomas Pink

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled and repetitive, 23 Jun. 2007
Compared to the other Very Short Introductions I have read, this one is a let-down. For one thing, one would have thought that due to shortage of space, unnecessary repetitions would be ruled out. But to the contrary, this book hammers you with the same points over and over with only slight reformulation. For a book of 120 small pages, it is surprisingly hard to get through. Second, far too much space is devoted to the free will problem as it was seen historically. Though perhaps interesting, one chapter would have been sufficient. Presumably what interests most readers is the problem as currently viewed. Third, the author's own views (which seem to boil down to 'we have an intuition that we are free, and nobody can disprove it, ha-ha-ha') are too muddled in with the rest of the text and would have been better separated out into its own chapter. My recommendation is to go elsewhere for an introduction to the free will problem.