Profile for dumphimlove > Reviews

Content by dumphimlove

dumphimlove "Retired counsellor - avid reader - new to audio books"

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars what a storyteller!, 25 Jan. 2015
I've really enjoyed reading this book. J. K. Rowling aka Robert Galbraith is a great storyteller. It's a page turner with credible characters beautifully delineated. I couldn't put it down!

The Cornish Coast Murder (British Library Crime Classics)
The Cornish Coast Murder (British Library Crime Classics)

3.0 out of 5 stars of it's time, 20 Jun. 2014
If you're a fan of Agatha Christie this one's for you. I prefer the modern psychological approach but this novel is pleasantly diverting. I could hear and see the characters. If you think old fashioned murder mystery you have it. It's a good rainy day read.

Mrs. Tuesday's Departure: A Christian Historical and Inspirational Romance of World War Two

3.0 out of 5 stars A Rainy Day Read, 13 Dec. 2013
I think it would be fair to describe Mrs Tuesday's Departure as a quick easy read. It's not brilliant writing but it's a good enough. I think it would lend itself to being dramatised either as a play or a film. There's really nothing new in it but it's comforting in it's familiarity as a fairly predictable WW2 story.

Girl Meets Boy (Canongate Myths series Book 8)
Girl Meets Boy (Canongate Myths series Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Homophobia, sexism, sexuality & love, 30 May 2012
Ali Smith tackles Ovid and metamorphosis in Girl Meets Boy. The book is about two sisters and their relationship and It is in my opinion a story well told. The themes are primarily homophobia, sexism, sexuality and love. It is divided into sections and each section is viewed from a different perspective. The book is fairly short but it packs a lot into a few pages. I have only read one other book by Smith but I certainly rate her as a writer. I finished this book last night and I already I want to read it again.

Muffs Chuffs & Nonsense (Poems for Grown Ups)
Muffs Chuffs & Nonsense (Poems for Grown Ups)

5.0 out of 5 stars Muffs, Chuffs & Nonsense, 29 May 2012
This book of risqué verse is very funny. When I received the book my other half decided to look at it first. Then he started to read it aloud and we spent the evening giggling like a couple of teenagers. If you like to laugh buy this book. But be warned don't read it in public because you won't be able to restrain yourself!

Trick Of The Dark
Trick Of The Dark
by Val McDermid

3.0 out of 5 stars Trick of the Dark, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Trick Of The Dark (Paperback)
Val McDermid is one of those writers I turn to if for some reason I'm having difficulty reading. I find her books are usually page turners and this was no exception. It is not, however, her best work. I applaud her use of lesbian characters but most of them in Trick of the Dark aren't like any of the lesbians I know and love. I also feel this book is more lesbian chick lit than a crime novel or thriller. The blurb describes it as a complex and I guess it is to some extent. But I guessed who the killer was and their motive quite early on, though one element did remain a surprise. I think this book would happily fit into the holiday read category but if this had been my first McDermid I doubt whether I would have rushed to read her again.

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?

4.0 out of 5 stars Why Be Happy When You Could Be abnormal, 20 April 2012
I can highly recommend Jeanette Winterson's autobiography Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal. This book is literary in nature and full of pain. In fact it brought me to tears. Winterson's voice is so clear I could almost hear her speaking. I loved it and I have to confess I wasn't a fan. I enjoyed Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit but to be honest I thought her pretentious. The book does much to explain why that is. She escaped her horrendous childhood through reading and through that same literature she carved out an identity and a place in the world. In telling her story she uses literature to show and to conceal herself. I urge you to read it

The White Lie
The White Lie

3.0 out of 5 stars The White Lie, 18 April 2012
This review is from: The White Lie (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this rather complex book. I thought the characterisations were good and love the idea of the dead narrator. It reminded me of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold but, whereas I cared about Susie in that book I really didn't care about any of Gillies characters at all, including the victim Michael. So a good story well written with lots of blind alleys but not emotionally involving as far as I'm concerned. I would, however, recommend it and will certainly be on the look out for other books by this author.

Don't Mind Me
Don't Mind Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Mind Me, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Don't Mind Me (Kindle Edition)
Don't Mind Me is an autobiographical account of Judith Haire's childhood. Her descent into physchosis and her eventual recovery. I can't say reading this book is enjoyable. How can one enjoy someone else's pain? However, it is immensely readable and very accessible. It shows, in my opinion, the connection between a dysfunctional childhood and the susceptibility to depression and or severe mental illness. My only criticism is that perhaps there isn't enough detail. I found myself asking questions and perhaps filling in my own gaps. So for this reason alone I rated it ***. I do think, however, it offers encouragement to those in the throw of mental illness and I would definitely recommend you read it.