Profile for Andy Perks > Reviews

Content by Andy Perks

Andy Perks (Oxford, England)

Hold On Until Your Fingers Break (Tales of the Unusual Book 1)
Hold On Until Your Fingers Break (Tales of the Unusual Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The End Of The World Is Nigh!.... Part 1 Anyway., 21 Jun. 2015
A really good read. Luke's writing style allows the story to flow uninhibited. Although not one of Luke's longest pieces, it took me a couple of sittings to read. And I'm going to re-read it, not just because I love the characters and the situation they find themselves in, I really need to get my head around all the time travel stuff.
This is only Part 1 after all. So God knows (but more importantly, Luke knows, hopefully) where Part 2 will lead us. I look forward to it.
I like this Part by Part publishing style. Reminiscent of "The Green Mile", by Stephen King. Who, it turn, got the idea from Charles Dickens.
A great start to a new insight into Luke Smitherd's twisted universe.

The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller
The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Stone Me! A good book! A great read!, 25 Feb. 2015
Great read. I found it a little slow until the Army appeared and then things seemed to take off at speed. That is no criticism, it's just the way I found it. I genuinely felt a sadness when Andy's part of the story ended. Despite all of his demons, he was a likeable character.
Despite the slow start I'm still giving "The Stone Man" 5 stars.
I genuinely like the way this guy writes and I'm off to find some more Luke Smitherd books.

A Christmas Carol The original manuscript
A Christmas Carol The original manuscript

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas must have, 31 Dec. 2013
This story is so popular, it's hard to imagine what Christmas was like before it. Every year, for the past twenty-odd, I've read this book. Firstly it was a modern printed version. Then I found a 1907 version at a car boot sale for 20p. 20p! But in these modern electronic times I now have it on my Kindle and iPad.

For a lot of people Christmas doesn't start until they've heard 'A fairy tale of New York' on the radio. But for me it's reading Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol".

The story is so well known that it hardly needs recommending. It's been rewritten many, many times for tv and cinema and turned into a very successful film and stage musical. But the original printed version is the best.

Get it in time for this year, next year and every year.

Introducing Pendragon
Introducing Pendragon

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal introduction., 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Introducing Pendragon (Audio CD)
This album is an ideal introduction to the Pendragon sound. Personally compiled by Pendragon originator Nick Barrett. The CD runs in chronological order. The eleven tracks are taken from eight album releases dating between 1988 and 2011. Eleven, or effectively fourteen - "The Wishing Well" is a four parter - great sounding Prog-Rock tracks, on two CDs is brilliant. And at a running time of 129mins, great value.
I saw the band back in May this year at their only UK gig at Leamington. The next day they were heading for a six week tour of Europe. I met them all back stage, in the green room, and shared a sofa and a laugh. Nick, for one, is a fantastic story teller and this reflects in his songs.
There are some seriously meaningful songs on this compilation. I haven't stopped playing it yet.... Even at 2 hours plus!
I can't recomend it highly enough. I've just got to start collecting the albums these tracks come from now.

Red
Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely., 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Red (MP3 Download)
I bought the cd from a gig in Leamington and it hasn't been off my player since I got home.
Lu's voice is beautiful, and couples well with Steve Askew's brilliant musicianship and production skills.
The songs on this album are beautifully crafted and fresh.
It's only available to download on here and I highly recommend it... You'll love it too.

Solo: A James Bond Novel
Solo: A James Bond Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of a bad bunch... Maybe?, 22 Oct. 2013
This is probably the best of the latest Bond novels. Devil May Care and Carte Blanche did nothing for me and were a big disappointment. Solo wasn't bad. Definitely not as bad as some we're making out. I think some people just jumped on the band wagon to slap it down. I hardly ever listen to bad reviews before I purchase and I'm kind of glad I went ahead a bought this despite the bad reviews. I may not get many agreeing with me, but why not give it a go and see for yourselves.

Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars You've just gotta buy this...!, 18 Oct. 2013
Gary Numan -Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)

1. I Am Dust - Cracking opener. Menacingly dark rhythm.
2. Here In The Dark - I can imagine this track playing over the closing credits of the next Jason Bourne film. Move over Moby.
3. Everything Comes Down To This - Gary's in deep, dark territory here. This could've been a little shorter, but still sounds great.
4. The Calling - Almost a throwback to Pleasure Principle... Not a bad thing really.
5. Splinter - Title track sees Mr Numan in philosophical/observer mode. "...I see you..."
6. Lost - I love this track. It reminds me of Please Push No More from the Telekon album.
7. Love Hurt Bleed - Industrial meets disco? It works. Fantastic beat. Blood on the dance floor? You bet! Pumping rhythm will get the crowd up and sweaty.
8. A Shadow Falls On Me - The disjointed beats are brilliant. Quite moving too.
9. Where I Can Never Be - Deep and dark again... Great track... Bad place.
10. We're The Unforgiven - The lyrics to this are brilliantly descriptive... Like listening to a five minute episode of Game Of Thrones.
11. Who Are You - The sense of loss runs through most of the tracks on this album. The sentiments in this track leads us beautifully in to...
...12. My Last Day - The album ends on a very touching, sombre and emotional note. Lovely song.

I followed this album's development on Twitter, and so I make no mistake in saying Splinter by Gary Numan is a fantastic album. Totally worthy of 5*. I loved Pure back in 2001, but with Splinter he's taken the thoughts that went into those songs and injected a darkness and love that totally over-powers. It's almost like, at the end of every song (sometimes at the end of every line even) he's going to top himself. Thankfully he doesn't. Just managing to pull himself away from the ledge.
This ranks as one of, if not the best Gary Numan album ever. It's taken 34 years but it was well worth the wait. It has the power to move you physically and emotionally... Internally. Spot on vocals... Brilliant, thoughtful lyrics... Musically... Wow! Produced to perfection by Ade Fenton.
All of the tracks are stand-out. But, my favourites are My Last Day and Lost.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2013 8:19 PM GMT

Between The Lines & Whistle Test Concert
Between The Lines & Whistle Test Concert
Offered by Entertainment Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Between The Lines, 26 Sept. 2013
In the UK, most of us have only heard of Janis Ian through her hit single "At Seventeen". But I wanted to hear more, so I bought "Between The Lines & Whistle Test Concert"... and was not disappointed.

This album is fantastic! To me, it rivals Carol King's "Tapestry" for song writing excellence. After the first play I was hooked. With "Tea And Sympathy" almost bring me to tears with its sentiment. The track "At Seventeen" is equalled in writing and in some cases bettered.

The Whistle Test DVD is the perfect insight to a beautiful young girl at the peak of her writing.

I love this album as much as I loved "Tapestry" when I first heard that. But Janis Ian and "Between The Lines" just takes it for me.

Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2014 9:40 PM BST

A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher, Book 17)
A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher, Book 17)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the negativity!, 14 Oct. 2012
Come on, guys. What is wrong with all of you? So many negative thoughts on this latest Jack Reacher outing. Admittedly not every Lee Child novel hits the spot... Even I struggled with 'The Visitor'. I've read it once, at time of publication, but for the life of me I can't get into it a second time. I think that the Jack Reacher novels should be viewed as individual parts of a film in themselves; ie, fast action scenes punctuated by calmer, slower ones. 'A Wanten Man' is just one of those slower scenes, is all.

For me, the fact that he spends most of his time in one car or another is neither here or there. He has to travel vast distances within the story and that obviously takes time. It would've been even more boring if the book was full of 'So Reacher jumped down from the cab of the semi. He stuck out his thumb then climbed into the cab of the next truck that stopped to offer him a lift...' and so on.

All in all, I found 'A Wanted Man' a damn good read and enjoyed every page. Lots of tension building. It fitted pretty well within the Reacher universe. The bulk of the action, and in deed the deaths, takes place towards the end of the book. This disappointed quite a few reviewers... Maybe they just didn't get it.

Don't believe the negativity!

Horrid Henry's Stinky School Pack
Horrid Henry's Stinky School Pack
by Francesca Simon

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid Henry's Sticky School, 7 Aug. 2009
We bought this for our daughter, thinking that they were new stories. It turns out that she already had all of the stories in other books and compilations. You can't see what stories are in the pack, because it's always sealed, it's quite a gamble. So beware. Unless the cover has "New" on it, they've probably got them already.