Profile for JJ > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
ASICS GEL-FUJI TRABUCO WOMEN'S RUNNING SHOE - 6.5
ASICS GEL-FUJI TRABUCO WOMEN'S RUNNING SHOE - 6.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trainers from Asics as usual, 23 May 2013
These trainers fit just as well as my Asics GT 2100s but have extra grip. I overly pronate and found these did give as much support as the GT2100. I still wear some additional orthotics too but as also with my other Asics trainers there is enough depth to the heal to allow wearing orthotics comfortably.
They do seem to work better on trails than on roads, so if you are thinking about a trail shoe because you do lots of off-road running these are worth getting. If you are only running on the roads I would stick with one of the Asics road running shoes.
Despite being off-road shoes they are still very light. I also tried some Brooks off-roaders and found the sole very hard, with the Asics this is not the case so don't be put off it you've tried another brand off-road and it has been uncomfortable.
I run mostly on fields and walking tracks, so I haven't tried the shoes for running over rocks and beaches.

Supergets® HTC One X+ And HTC One X / XL Dual Layer Protection Hybrid Silicone Combo Case, Screen Protector,Touch Screen Stylus And Polishing Cloth (Green)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 23 May 2013
I'm happy to use this and it seems to do a good shock absorbing job with the silicon and the harder shell however I am a bit disappointed about the quality. The silicon is made very roughly with lots of rough edges and looks like it may tear easily from these edges. The harder shell also looks very roughly made but this is only visible on the inside. Overall from a distance it looks great, up close a bit rough and ready. But for this price I guess I'm happy. I did order a purple one at the same time for an occasional change but almost wished I hadn't now as I wouldn't necessarily repeat this purchase.
If you do buy it... a tip to get your phone in and out is to put the silicon case on your phone first and then the harder shell afterwards and then reverse the process to get it off. If you try to put phone into both at same time it's very difficult and you may end up tearing or splitting the case!
The screen protector doesn't fit the full width of the screen but so far I have yet to find any screen protector that does properly fit the OneX, so it's no worse than any other on the market (it seems).

Gelert Sleeping Pod Jnr - Bluejay/Oasis Green
Gelert Sleeping Pod Jnr - Bluejay/Oasis Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my 2yr old, 4 April 2013
I was recommended this by a friend after talking about worrying my son would suffocate in a normal child's sleeping bag or be too cold in a baby/toddler armless sleeping bag. I'm not going to be able to sleep camping if I constantly worry he'd fall down and get stuck in there or freeze in a baby one! So my friend said these are much wider so he'd at least not get stuck.
So read the reviews and saw the main complaint is it's a bit short - excellent news for me! So we've had a trial run indoors, it is certainly too short for over 5s I'd say - if they want to sleep fully stretched out, but is absolutely perfect for my 2 yr old, even if he does go to the bottom, there is plenty of width for him to breathe and return to the top. I am so relieved to have a solution!
Also a very good price and colour - I got this for £16 when I bought it.

Sorry though I cannot vouch for how warm it will be camping as the weather has been so cold over Easter we've not wanted to go yet! I will try and remember to update this later on in the year...

WOW Toys Motorbike Max
WOW Toys Motorbike Max
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2yr old loves this, 4 April 2013
This review is from: WOW Toys Motorbike Max (Toy)
I was worried the little pieces would get lost but this motorbike is so loved that hasn't happened yet. My 4yr old seems to like it too even though I'd have thought it's a bit baby-ish.

Great buy (and not been disappointed yet with WOW toys!)

Feeding Kids: The Netmums Cookery Book
Feeding Kids: The Netmums Cookery Book
by Judith Wills

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginner mums like me, 4 April 2013
I bought this because although I can cook a "posh" meal for adults, I am always fumbling in the dark when it comes to something suitable and (that I can be confident is) nutritious for the kids.
This book has some excellent easy recipes which suit the whole family. I have a 2 and a 4yr old and they have been happy with al the recipes so far! (Although my 4yr old has picked up some food fads at school!). You can add more depth of flavour or spices if you want to depending on who is eating it - we eat as a family as much as we can.
For me it really works because I can do a meal plan per week, be confident what to cook and when and generally save money on the shopping. I don't buy stuff for a meal anymore (e.g. shepherds pie ingredients) and then not actually make it because I get lazy and just do pasta and cheese sauce instead! This book has given me the means to actually find it easy and so no need to take a lazy option.
A bonus is there is a whole section on nutrition at the front which I had not expected to be so comprehensive. It not only explains all parts of food but also what a person needs - for example I didn't know what "5-a-day" is for a 2yr old (I knew what it is for an adult). I've found it beneficial for all of us and actually could do with losing a bit of weight myself and it's helping me do this healthily.
It also gives some tips on what to do if your child is under or overweight and how to get around fussy eating.
Hope this review is helpful.

All in all this book has really really helped me and to be honest I feel a bit less of a failure on the mummy stakes now I have this small bit of life working a bit better!

Borgen: Series 1 & 2 [Blu-ray]
Borgen: Series 1 & 2 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sidse Babett Knudsen
Offered by BBC Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent drama and good subtitles, 11 Feb 2013
This is an excellent Danish political drama. You've probably had a taster so specifics to the format:
The bluray format is good and much clearer than the dvd. The subtitles are excellent and do not annoy the vision and they are also well translated. I was worried about this. On Bbc4 the translation and subtitles were good and these seem to ne the same ones. I previously bought 'the killing ' when it came out on dvd only to find the subtitles large and intrusive as well as being a very poor translation, this is certainly not the case here. I thoroughly recommend this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2013 10:41 PM GMT

Joseph Joseph Pie Kitchen Timer - Pink
Joseph Joseph Pie Kitchen Timer - Pink

2.0 out of 5 stars Dropped it once, doesn't work anymore, 11 Jan 2012
Kitchen timers obviously won't fare well with drops, but this one did particularly badly. I was given this on Christmas day and dropped it just onto the kitchen counter and already its broken and won't count down anymore. Very disappointing. I'd go for a sturdier one if I were you.

FLASH SUPERSTORE SAMSUNG I9100 GALAXY S2 FROSTED PATTERN GEL SKIN COVER/CASE BLUE
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE

2.0 out of 5 stars Very pale transparent blue (not expected), 14 Dec 2011
I have just returned this item as I am very disappointed. I was expecting it to be a dark royal blue colour, but it is infact a very pale transparent blue. Perhaps if I had looked more carefully before ordering I would have noticed, but to be honest I ordered this from my smartphone and did not look at the alternative pictures.
Its a good quality plastic though and similar quality to the gel cases I have previously ordered for my own phone (this was for my husband) which are excellent for their purpose.

Maxi-Cosi Axiss Group 1 Car Seat (Deep Blue)
Maxi-Cosi Axiss Group 1 Car Seat (Deep Blue)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Oct 2011
Had I reviewed this seat after the first week or so of use, I'd have given it a rave review of 4 stars. One star off for the difficulty of fitting the seat correctly.
The Axiss is very easy to adjust as the child grows (or if swapping another child in the seat occasionally), it also is perfect for swinging around and not straining your back to put the child in. HOWEVER we have found that over time, no matter how firm and secure the seat is fixed into position, over time with the pressure of pulling the straps tight on the child each time they get into the seat, you gradually loosen the fixing of the car seat in the car. I believe this is a design fault. If I were to tighten the straps on the child after swinging it around to front position, this is not an issue because the forward/back security of the seat is rigid. But that is not the point, I need to straighten the straps before I swing it around to face forwards, to do otherwise is very uncomfortable, and almost impossible unless you can climb in front of it. I hope I have explained that well.
If you don't see that as a problem (i.e. you are happy to continue to readjust the car seats fixing almost every time you put little one in the car) then please also bear in mind that because of the swing ability, the car seat does stick out further than the other maxi cosi seats, so if you have a small car, or if your child is particularly large / behind a large passenger then the leg room for the child is not ideal. Bear in mind also to test the car seat at say Mothercare or Halfords to see if your car's seat is actually big enough for the car seat - the Maxi Cosi fitting guide is not completely reliable for this. For example we have a Peugeot 407 estate and although the seat fits in well with space on the seat itself, my husband is tall and has his seat a fair way back when driving, when my son is on furthest tilt his feet already kick the back of the seat and he is only 9 months old (he is a large 9 months though), but I worry that in the next year he will be far to cramped (even when I am driving).
Hope that is helpful, any questions please let me know.

Jo Frost's Confident Toddler Care: The Ultimate Guide to The Toddler Years
Jo Frost's Confident Toddler Care: The Ultimate Guide to The Toddler Years
by Jo Frost

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not the 'Ultimate' - just rehash of other authors, 4 July 2011
I bought this (not knowing Jo Frost at all to be honest) hoping for a more in depth guide to caring for toddlers, especially for help for us on the regression of toilet training and managing types of tantrums. Unfortunately this book is just a rehash of all the other books I've read, especially Gina Ford. If you've read of any of the other books, don't bother with this one, however if you've yet to read any books on this subject, it does look well laid out and has all the basics that you might want to know. The section on toilet training is particularly disappointing, its almost a complete copy of Gina Ford's potty training in one week, but without all the case studies. It gives no advice on what happens if things go wrong after a few months. If you want advise on potty training, please buy Gina Ford, its the same advice but with more detail (and yes it really is possible in one week, but then regression may happen..)
If anyone reading this can recommend me a book, please feel free to comment!
If you're a first timer with no other book reading under your belt, you might this helpful.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2011 10:54 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3