Profile for Joolz > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Border Confusion
Border Confusion

5.0 out of 5 stars Be astonished, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Border Confusion (Audio CD)
I had a long and joyous love affair with Balkan music, and so many were the high points, that they would be tedious to enumerate, but suffice it to say that out of those fond memories, which I'm sure I'll revisit, none stands out as much as this magical blend of deeply felt Balkan songs with loads of jazz and power playing, but above all with two female vocalists giving it everything they have, soaring above the music in harmony, and leading us into paradise. It's follow-up, "Balkea", was nearly every bit as good, the third, "Soundtrack to an Imaginary Film", frustratingly a download only, and I am now awaiting the new "Fistfull of Love," and am crossing my fingers that this band is back to simply astonish us all once again.

The Wild
The Wild
by Esther Freud

5.0 out of 5 stars A neglected masterpiece, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Wild (Paperback)
This story of 9 year old Tess is so subtly told, in an ingenious, or perhaps disingenuous, mosaic form, that it is easy not to realise just how clever it is. To get into the mind of a 9 year old girl, clearly the 5 year old from Hideous Kinky moved on, and still surrounded by anarchic hippies, is a wonder. And with a satisfying conclusion to a tense ending, this novel occupies a place that I think no other book does.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this happiness? Or a crying shame?, 29 Jun 2014
A mixture of the sublime (and perhaps some filler?), but the sublime is truly heavenly: "Brooklyn Baby" is David Lynch sublime indeed, and "Black Beauty" as well, but the standout track of them all has got to be track 16, "Is This Happiness". But why oh why is it on Itunes download only (which I don't do) and not on the CDs? A crying shame. (Oh yes, and if you're wondering where the tune on "Old Money" comes from, try Nino Rota, "A Time For Us" - deserving a credit, surely?).

The Fade (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Fade (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Chris Wooding

5.0 out of 5 stars What a heroine!, 27 Jun 2014
I don't often go for science fiction, but having read three excellent YA books by him, this seemed worth a try, and I was sucked into this often violent, but exhilarating adventure in a way that very few books have been able to achieve with me (though I would say that the "straight into the action" beginning doesn't help initially). It is not for the squeamish, and is certainly not YA, but the feisty heroine has you rooting for her all the way in her almost impossible task of escaping captivity and avenging the wrong doers. Only good writing and believable characters could achieve this, and my goodness it does. What a heroine! I have seldom turned the pages so fast, and had so much fun. (Oh yes, and don't let the "mis-numbering" of the chapters fool you - it does work out.)

Outside
Outside
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars What a voice, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
Amar has one of the most incredible voices out there, and we need to hear more of her. I agree that her English lyrics are sometimes perhaps a bit forced, but I would go anywhere to hear her, and the production on this one is pure luxury. If you want to know what she did next though, well, she returned to oh so funky bhangra, her next CD was called "Show if off", and although very different to this one, is about the highest octane bhangra you are likely to hear.

Animal Love
Animal Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure pop joy, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Animal Love (Audio CD)
I'm not often as struck by a pop release as with this one. The songs are so catchy, and the production so spot on, and the music so soulful, that I felt this one was dropping into a place that was just waiting to be filled. I discovered Charlene Kaye when she was vocalist with the great San Fermin on their European tour, and good as SF is (especially live), it was this CD that I ended up listening to, to recapture the crystal clear vocals (with sometimes bits of Laura Nyro?). A joy to listen to all the way through, with enough spark, funk, horn stabs, guitar riffs and sheer shazazz to sweep you along every track, to the electro but listenable remix that finishes it. Make no mistake, this is top class stuff.

Corazón (Deluxe Version)
Corazón (Deluxe Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars A jewel in his crown, and a breath of fresh air, 5 Jun 2014
It seems to be pretty fashionable to put down Santana's recent pop output, and this one in particular, but I'm not going to go down that road. Having been with him since I saw him at the Filmore East in 68, I am willing to accompany him on his various incarnations, whether the hippy trippy, the hunky funky, the sweet soul or the cool jazz, and rate this, one of his pop series, as one of the best. Carlos has been doing cover versions right from the beginning, from Tito Puente's Oye Como Va and other Latino hits, to pop covers of old Zombies and Fleetwood Mac hits, so I what's the big deal in covering a Jarabe de Palo or a Bob Marley hit here. For me, this a great blast of fresh air for the summer, and will probably hardly ever be off the turntable or out of the car. The deluxe version gives you Brazilian language versions of two of the Spanish tracks, and a Spanish version of an English track, and I prefer them to the non-deluxe version. I confess that I wish Jarabe de Palo had sung his La Flaca, but what the heck, this is just a great, uplifting collection of Latin pop hits made special by Carlos, and I love it to bits. And I dare you not to funk out to Saideira or Iron Lion Zion.

Ma Radio
Ma Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great happy gutsy reggae pop, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ma Radio (Audio CD)
With French pop in full effervescence, the press consistently seems to lead the public away from the great stuff, to the lesser, though pleasant stuff (lately eg. Indila, Cats on Trees) when there is no shortage of really fabulous artists right here to be listened to. Lousy Joseph is just tremendous (don't be put off by the naff cover on this one, or her unfortunate duo with an American pop star at the start, just move it on a track), pulling off her own brand of gutsy reggae and great lyrics to cheer up any but the hardest heart. (And don't miss her first CD either, Saison des Amours, with her tributes (lyrically, not musically - she does NOT do a cover of Imagine!) to John Lennon and Janis Joplin). Over the last couple of years, Ma Radio has never failed to get people to walk over to the CD player to find out what it is. How right they are.

Steal You Away
Steal You Away
by Niccolò Ammaniti

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Steal You Away (Paperback)
Like other reviewers, I also read this a couple of years ago, and have never forgotten it. Interweaving the truly comic (there are some great laugh out loud moments) Gypsy Kinds crazed macho on the make, with the life of a tragic but beautifully realised tragic schoolboy, and that of his teacher, we enjoy the vivid depiction of small town life as we laugh along with their foibles, only to be stopped dead in our tracks by the ending which, far from gratuitous, underlines the seriousness of some of the trials of everyday life.

A Tale Of Love And Darkness
A Tale Of Love And Darkness
by Amos Oz

5.0 out of 5 stars A profoundly moving book about his parents, 12 Feb 2014
I must admit, I didn't think I wanted to read this, and it languished on the shelf for some time (perhaps because of the small print and large number of pages!). But what a saga. This is, at its best, a touching and often moving portrait of the author's mother and father, and sets the founding of Israel clearly in the context of the aftermath of the horrors of WWII. There are other points of view of this history, of course, which also have to be read, but the author's relationship with his tragically disturbed mother and affectionate but eccentric father are among the best of that kind I have read, and the glimpse of post WWII history invaluable. A small chunk at the end about the author's teenage love life should have been cut in the interests of good taste, but it remains nevertheless an extraordinary and moving read. Oh yes, the cover in no way does it justice, this is not an L. P. Hartley, but something much more profound.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7