Profile for dimwits > Reviews

Content by dimwits

dimwits (Devon, UK)

50 Sheets of A4 Matte 190gsm Photo Paper (210mm x 297mm)
50 Sheets of A4 Matte 190gsm Photo Paper (210mm x 297mm)

5.0 out of 5 stars what he said, 8 Dec 2012
Yes, this paper was a find. Perfect for greetings cards, business cards and CD jewel case inserts. Not to mention cheap as chips. I sound like I'm on commission (I'm not) so I'll stop now.

Jack Bruce Composing Himself: The Authorised Biography
Jack Bruce Composing Himself: The Authorised Biography
by Harry Shapiro

5.0 out of 5 stars things I like, 29 Sep 2010
A fascinating insight into a longtime, long lost hero. I read this in more or less one sitting, though I wanted to stay inside the story for as long as I could. I guess if you're of a certain age, Jack Bruce's music will have impinged on your life, via Cream if nothing else. What this book may well do by its descriptions of Bruce's later music is to send you back to Amazon to order the solo albums that followed Cream, to find out what happened next. Being of a certain age, Scottish and a bass player, I'm hopelessly biased, of course, but for me the book did what Bruce's music did in the first place - intrigued me enough to make me want to explore and find out more. In an attempt at critical balance, I might say that it tends occasionally towards hagiography, but maybe that's an accusation that could be levelled at almost any biography.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2013 9:05 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth it, 15 Sep 2010
I took out this insurance policy when I bought a Canon Ixus 95IS digital compact camera. Very glad I did, as the camera turned out to be more than a bit rubbish. When the camera finally broke down completely after only six months, I called Allianz, who were very helpful. I sent it to their own engineers and within a few days received an engineers' report that the camera was irreparable. Allianz contacted me to confirm the purchase price and reimbursed me for the full amount. Best sixteen quid I ever spent!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2010 5:47 PM BST

Antony Worrall Thompson by Breville BR11 Professional Breadmaker
Antony Worrall Thompson by Breville BR11 Professional Breadmaker

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic machine, 15 Sep 2010
I guess everyone has different experiences and different opinions. My experience with this machine has been great - I bought it at Christmas 2004, that's coming up for six years now. It's baked around three or four loaves per week since purchased, that's what? - around 1,000 loaves, pizza bases, doughnuts, brioches, etc. I even accidentally poured the water over the heating element once, but it dried out and has worked fine ever since. The downsides: the finish on the lid began to peel after a few years, the interior light gave out fairly quickly, and now, all these years on, the paddle housing (a sort of washer arrangement) has perished. Breville say they no longer make this model and don't sell replacements, so I'll have to replace the whole machine. That seems fair enough to me, if a little unsustainable, but for just over ten quid a year, I think it's been pretty good value. I may just buy another.

The Armando Iannucci Shows [DVD]
The Armando Iannucci Shows [DVD]
Dvd ~ Armando Iannucci

5.0 out of 5 stars all right if you like laughing, 17 May 2010
I don't know if these were ever aired on terrestrial TV but I'd never seen nor heard of them. What a great little find! While I don't imagine it'd be to everyone's taste (but what is?), if you've ever enjoyed any of Steve Coogan's many incarnations - Alan Partridge, Paul and Pauline Calf, Gareth Cheeseman, Tommy Saxondale, yada yada, or the mighty Chris Morris, or The Thick of It or In The Loop, buy this - for less than the price of a pint! - and you won't be disappointed. If you don't like any of the above, just buy it anyway and be disappointed. Armando'll be happy, I'll be amused and you can get shot of it next time you forget a relative's birthday. Go on, spread a little happiness.

The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual of Survival and Manners
The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual of Survival and Manners
by J. P. Donleavy

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the bootless and unhorsed, 2 Nov 2009
First published in the mid-seventies, this is both of its time and timeless. A sardonic view of the English class system by a Dublin-educated American, it takes the tone of the self-help manuals beloved of the first half of the 20th century and has vicious fun with the earnest instruction dispensed therein. Advising the reader on how to deal with such situations as public flatulence, "Inducing Folk to Eat Cheap When You Have Invited Them to Dine" and "Being Excluded From Who's Who", it's the natural predecessor to, for instance, Guy Browning's erstwhile "How To.." column, collected in the book "Never Hit A Jellyfish With A Spade". If you liked that, you might find this to your taste.