Profile for K. James > Reviews

Content by K. James

K. James (Preston, England)

5,000 Awesome Facts about Everything (National Geographic Kids)
5,000 Awesome Facts about Everything (National Geographic Kids)
by National Geographic Kids Magazine

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 13 Dec 2013
My 8 year old son grabs this off the shelf whenever we go into WHSmith and then reads it in the shop floor! Finally decided to buy it for him due to the good price on Amazon.

SODIAL(R) 60 Pcs 5mm Dia Round Assorted Colors LED Light Emitting Diodes Lamp DC 3V
Offered by ULTRA TOP-Dispatched From HongKong

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem with some yellow LEDs, 13 Dec 2013
Red and green LEDs bright and good, vivid colour. Bought two packets for a school project but seemed to have a problem with the yellow LEDs. Some glowed brightly but were orange, though the children liked this colour. Some were a true yellow but looked very dim compared to the red and green LEDs. Some yellow ones only worked for a while and then we had to bin them. If you just want red and green LEDs, they are great and as an add on they are still good value for money even if you don't use the yellow ones.

John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit
John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic educational toy, 26 Sep 2012
I bought this for my 10 year old son and he loves it! Lots of mini projects which he can follow easily with rewarding results. I am a specialist science teacher at a primary school and was so impressed with this kit that I have just bought another for my year 5/6 children. I know that it will be a great hit and that the children will learn a great deal whilst they are 'playing'!

Great price at £30.39. I have seen it at the full RRP in a few stores, including Toymaster. Grab an educational bargain while you can!

Combat Force Grenade with Sound
Combat Force Grenade with Sound
Offered by One Click Wonder

3.0 out of 5 stars good for pretend play but don't expect all to tick!, 30 Nov 2011
You can buy these toy grenades as a multi-pack from Kids Army Store. You get 6 grenades in a camouflage storage box for £4.99. The box alone is well worth that. They have been reduced from £14.99 as 'all or some might not tick'. 2 out of 6 of mine tick so I am content as the ticking tends to go eventually anyway. They can still be thrown and used for pretend play. I think they're great- but don't expect them all to work....

Lego 3842 - Lunar Command
Lego 3842 - Lunar Command
Offered by Cash Connectors

5.0 out of 5 stars simply brilliant!, 24 Oct 2010
My 8 year old and I absolutely love this game! After reading the rules once it seemed a little confusing but after 3 games we were hooked! We slowly added the different rules until we were playing the full blown game which is very strategical and really makes you think ahead.

Basically, each player builds their own base using different white and coloured pieces- identical pieces cannot touch each other. You gain points for each astronaut (2 points) or robot (1 point) that you get inside your completed base. To complicate things, you can also place pieces to block your opponent getting astronauts/robots into their base! UFOs can also be moved under which astronauts can pass but not robots. You can also take over your opponents base by building more of your own coloured pieces into it than their coloured pieces.

This game is as strategical as you want to make it and very easy to adapt the rules if you want an easier game. Like the other lego games, the base fits straight in the box without dismantling the permanent pieces. A template can then be put over it, through the holes of which you put the astronauts and robots in their starting positions. My 5 year old does that bit!

Great for getting the brain cells working and this game has helped improved my 8 year old son's concentration. We have 3 lego games and this is our favourite so far. I wouldn't recommend it for any younger than 8 years unless you simplify the rules greatly.

LEGO Games 3835 Robo Champ
LEGO Games 3835 Robo Champ

5.0 out of 5 stars Good simple fun, 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: LEGO Games 3835 Robo Champ (Toy)
This lego game is similar to the traditional beetle drive with additional rules that allow you to pinch parts of your opponent's robot as well as building your own. It is quick and easy to play. My 5 year old and 8 year old both love it. This is one of the most straightforward lego games and very suited to younger players but I enjoy it too!

The Magic Rabbit
The Magic Rabbit
by Annette LeBlanc Cate

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartwarming read that captures the imagination, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Magic Rabbit (Paperback)
My boys aged 4 and 7 years both love this book. It is a simple story about a magician being separated from his best pal and business partner (the rabbit!) and how they are finally reunited. The illustrations are excellent. Each time we read it my sons spot some extra detail in the background which adds to the story. My youngest loves to spot the magic star trail as the yellow stars stand out against the black and white sketches. A lovely book which I am about to order as presents for friends' children.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars well loved but breaks easily, 17 Feb 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Both my sons aged 4 and 7 years enjoy playing with their ERTL train track and use the crossing for their matchbox cars. Two of the gates snapped off where they push into the base soon after buying it. They still play with it a lot but tend to remove the remaining two gates as they just get in the way. They just put traffic lights at the junction instead!

Take Along Bob the Builder - Lofty
Take Along Bob the Builder - Lofty

3.0 out of 5 stars what no wheels?, 8 Oct 2008
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
Ho ho ho! I've just been shopping online to buy a new Lofty for my son as two of its wheels have broken off! Didn't realize this was such a common problem- I assumed he had been a little too rough. After reading all the other reviews it sounds like there is no point in buying another...