Profile for Gr Parnell > Reviews

Content by Gr Parnell

Gr Parnell "graeme_parnell" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lost Odyssey
Lost Odyssey
Offered by games.empire

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the dreams!, 6 Jan. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lost Odyssey (Video Game)
Not going to harp on about it, since there are some very good reviews here already which say it all.

One thing I would advise to get the most out of this game is to give it your time and attention, particularly when reading things like the 'dreams' that Kaim has every so often. They're really moving short stories and beautifully presented. So not a great game for someone who wants a 'pick-up and go' experience.

I was a big fan of FFVII, FVIII and FFIX, but kind of lost interest in the series after FFX and FFXII - whilst they were good games they didn't pull me into the story as much as the earlier ones. Oblivion was OK for me but I got annoyed with the random NPCs talking in several different accents every time you talked to them.

Lost Odyssey seems to combine the strengths of FF 7, 8 and 9 and coupled with HD graphics it's a marvellous addition to the XBox 360 RPG scene (which is virtually non-existent).

Toshiba Regza 32RV635DB 32-inch Widescreen 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
Toshiba Regza 32RV635DB 32-inch Widescreen 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong at this price, 28 Dec. 2009
In short I just wanted to add my tuppence worth that this is a brilliant TV for the price from amazon (whilst high-street retailers will try to flog you the same or a lower-range model for a far higher price).

4 HDMI ports is great, as is the resolution + feature. I haven't used the onboard freeview tuner yet (I use freesat) but for everything else it performs admirably.

The bezel and screen is a pain to keep free from dust and fingerprints though. Personally I don't like the glossy black finish that seems to adorn most LCD TVs these days, but there's no getting away from it.

Digital Alarm Clock in Silver/Charcoal 34172
Digital Alarm Clock in Silver/Charcoal 34172
Offered by Clock Emporium

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little clock, 28 Dec. 2009
I couldn't ask much more from this clock, other than it being lit-up in some way at night. But that feature only really comes with units that require a power supply, and it would probably annoy me as I tried to get to sleep anyway.

The alarm is loud enough to wake you from slumber, and the clock compact for easy travel. And it's a decent price. I much prefer this style of battery-operated alarm clocks compared to plug-in ones which are a bit bulky and over compensate with various random features that you never use.

Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Offered by AllGoodDealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 28 Dec. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not going to try and write a comprehensive review because Max Porteus did an amazing job and to write another one would just be duplicated effort.

I honestly believe this is the best game of 2009, slightly (but firmly) ahead of Modern Warfare 2. Admittedly if online gaming is your thing you'll get more out of MW2.

But anyway, it seems to have everything you want. Flying murder stabby death, decent sword (or whatever weapon) combat, Da Vinci Code style puzzles, free-running, and a half-decent story to go along with it. Ezzio is also a much more likeable character than Altair, but then again, that's not difficult. The main thing that appeals to me (as it did with Assassin's Creed 1), is the sheer comedic brutality of combat and killing-moves (you know, when the camera zooms in to show a particularly gruesome death of some poor guard just doing his job). Try grabbing a weapon off a guard armed with a spear and using that for a bit and you'll see what I mean.

The only criticism I would have is that the game can suddenly jump forward years at a time to advance the story, but nothing seems to change. Ezzio looks the same, and so do all his friends and enemies. The only way you'd know it was a few years in the future is because it might be mentioned in dialogue. What the hell was Ezzio doing in the mean time? Clearly not doing much investigative work!

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (Xbox 360)
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (Xbox 360)
Offered by Clickforgamesltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best flying sim on the XBox 360, 28 Dec. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
There aren't many flying games for the 360, and the ones that do exist are often a bit over-the-top or arcade-style (Ace Combat anyone?).

This one however is rather good. The different difficulty modes can be a god-send once you get frustrated with stalling your aircraft all the time and being unable to bring it out of a stall, resulting in your aircraft exploding a big ball of fire in the fields of Kent. However this can just result in you playing through the game in 'easy arcade mode', which to be honest, is just too easy. Enemy planes seem a bit 'passive' to be honest I only found myself being shot at a handful of times despite taking on dozens of enemy aircraft at a time.

I ended up putting this game down and playing something a bit more gripping, but I'm pretty confident I'll be going back to it.

Tuff-Luv Slim and Lite Silicone Case Cover for iPod Nano 5G - Black
Tuff-Luv Slim and Lite Silicone Case Cover for iPod Nano 5G - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little cover - shame no screen protector, 28 Dec. 2009
I bought this to go with my new iPod 5G Nano, and wanted something simple and effective to protect it from the rough and tumble.

This is definitely both of those things. It has a snug fit, and all the holes are in the right places for the 5th generation iPod Nano.

The only thing I could think of to improve this would be to include a cheap clear plastic screen protector. As it stands the screen of my nano is rather conspicuous by the fact it's the only thing that's not protected in some fashion, and this makes me slightly nervous that it's going to be scratched. So I ended up ordering one from amazon, having failed to find what I wanted on the high street.

Even so, the cost of a screen protector and this cover is still less than many of the alternatives on this site, and does the job admirably without being as pretentious!

Licensed to Kill: Hired Guns in the War on Terror
Licensed to Kill: Hired Guns in the War on Terror
by Robert Young Pelton

5.0 out of 5 stars For students and those with a casual interest, 3 Oct. 2009
I used this book to help me write a mini-dissertation on the use of Private Military Companies (PMCs) and the consequence of this for the foreign policies of different countries.

It is written in a way that would be unpalatable for many academics, but this (for me, at least) is no shortcoming. Many academics, such as D Avant and P Singer, have written extensively on this subject but their works can be criticised for typical academic 'ivory tower' syndrome. Robert Pelton however has been out on the ground, in often dangerous environments, gaining valuable interviews from many colourful characters. Combined with a engaging writing style, this book is both readable and educating.

I'd recommend this book for anyone with a passing interest in PMCs, although for students/academics I'd say it is best used alongside works such as those by Avant and Singer in order to set the context within the academic debate. Also since the publication of this book, PMCs have evolved into a very different beast from what they were at the immediate aftermath of the invasion of Iraq - therefore the picture it paints is a little out of date.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3