Profile for Gr Parnell > Reviews

Content by Gr Parnell

Gr Parnell "graeme_parnell" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Current History
Current History
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 9 issues a year - not 12, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: Current History (Kindle Edition)
EDIT - since doing a bit of my own research, it's become apparent that Current History produces nine issues each year, and takes the Summer off (no issues for June, July and August). The next issue will be September. Slightly strange, but I will probably renew my subscription in September. No thanks to Amazon for failing to clarify this. I've adjusted (increased) my review rating in light of this.

This is a good quality periodical with some interesting articles written by high-profile authors - good to see a journal written thematically for a change. Makes a good accompaniment to Foreign Affairs.

It's not clear if the monthly subscription fee is still taken for June, July and August - in any case, it's advisable to cancel after you finish reading May's and re-subscribe in time to receive September's issue.

Duronic TVB123S Heavy Duty Adjustable Black Wall Bracket For Plasma, LCD & LED Screens For 19" - 37" Wide Screens VESA: 200, 100 - With Tilt down

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, low profile mount, 27 July 2011
This was pretty easy to install and I now have my LG 32LE4500 on the wall in my bedroom. I would recommend this mount without any hesitation, but only for those who don't need to use the connections on the rear of a TV - the mount sits so close to the wall that any connections (such as HDMI cables sticking straight out of the back) will likely be squeezed against the wall and could upset how the TV set hangs.

2013 Rayzor Professional UV400 GunMetal Grey 2 In 1 Anti Fog Sports Sunglasses / Goggles, With a Clear Rose Anti-Glare Clarity Lens and a Detachable Elasticated Headband & Inner Foam Padding.
Offered by Sports Eyewear
Price: 69.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Price saves these..., 14 May 2011
I bought these for sailing but ended up going without - I just didn't like them as they were too 'enclosed' and bulky.

I imagine these would be great for cycling and possibly skiing, however.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for tabbing., 14 May 2011
I bought these as an alternative pair of PT boots. They're great for short battle-PT sessions, but for something like an 8-mile tab my feet were getting a fair few hot points and blisters after the first hour.

So not recommended if you're intending to spend more than a few hours doing strenuous activity (PT, exercise etc).

Helly Hansen Sailing Short Glove
Helly Hansen Sailing Short Glove
Price: 15.00 - 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, 14 May 2011
Used this for two-weeks' light-sailing in the Caribbean and they were fine.

I bought a medium pair, which fitted a little too well and ended up ripping at one of the seams by the wrist.

For the price, you could probably find better elsewhere.

Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop PC (Intel Atom 330, 1.6 GHz, 2048MB RAM, 250GB HD, LAN WLAN, Windows 7 Home Premium, Integrated Graphics Plus Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Desktop for under 250? Bargain!, 22 Jan 2010
I bought this for my parents who were getting stressed out with a dilapidated laptop. I can safely say I'm actually rather jealous.

First of all, here's a list of additional things you need to get a fully-functioning desktop computer out of this:
- Monitor, VGA input (or a TV with HDMI/VGA input)
- Speakers, 3.5mm stereo input (or optical audio amplifier)
- USB CD/DVD drive (DVD-RW recommended)

Regarding the monitor mount mentioned in J. Potter's review - I believe that it IS a VESA standard monitor mount, and have attached my unit to the back of a Samsung Widescreen LCD monitor. Admittedly, it took me a while to figure out how and led to me unnecessarily taking the mount apart trying to work out how it did attach (you need to slide a piece of the mount upwards to reveal the screw-holes). I did this the early hours of Boxing Day though, so wasn't at my best. Once attached however, it looks great, and doesn't protrude above the screen at all. It looks like an all-in-one now.

Echoing J. Potter's review, this unit really is extremely quiet. You don't even know its on - a massive improvement over every other computer my parents have had. This makes it great for watching media through the various on-demand internet TV services. You will get some stutter watching direct from BBCiPlayer (particularly HD), but that is not due to the R3610 but rather bandwidth, server and software issues at the BBC end.

Bad points about this machine:
- no recovery disc included, you have to make your own using a DVD-RW drive. I didn't have one to hand so am somewhat nervous about recovery should something horrible happen. I believe you can get one from Acer customer services but they charge something like 40 to send you a disc.
- as mentioned by J. Potter, the amount of 'stuff' (software) on the machine is pretty annoying and takes a while to get rid of. The games included are particularly awful and a pain to uninstall.

Those are the only things that spring to mind, I really am very impressed with this little machine, particularly because it runs Windows 7 so well and was so cheap. Many people get these to stick on the back of a LCD TV to facilitate on demand TV over the internet and a media centre, which is kinda what is was designed for.

For what my parents use it for (internet browsing, the odd word-document, internet TV), it really is perfect. I'd hesitate to ask much more of it however - but if you want to play games or use demanding graphics software you shouldn't be looking at this anyway.

Oh and a tip for people who can't get the mouse/keyboard to work - there's a tiny USB adapter inside the battery compartment of the mouse that needs to be plugged into the machine in order to get the mouse and keyboard to work. This is briefly mentioned in the instructions but many people seem to not see this.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2010 11:06 AM GMT

Lost Odyssey
Lost Odyssey
Offered by Moeroshop-UK
Price: 20.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the dreams!, 6 Jan 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lost Odyssey (Video Game)
Not going to harp on about it, since there are some very good reviews here already which say it all.

One thing I would advise to get the most out of this game is to give it your time and attention, particularly when reading things like the 'dreams' that Kaim has every so often. They're really moving short stories and beautifully presented. So not a great game for someone who wants a 'pick-up and go' experience.

I was a big fan of FFVII, FVIII and FFIX, but kind of lost interest in the series after FFX and FFXII - whilst they were good games they didn't pull me into the story as much as the earlier ones. Oblivion was OK for me but I got annoyed with the random NPCs talking in several different accents every time you talked to them.

Lost Odyssey seems to combine the strengths of FF 7, 8 and 9 and coupled with HD graphics it's a marvellous addition to the XBox 360 RPG scene (which is virtually non-existent).

Toshiba Regza 32RV635DB 32-inch Widescreen 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
Toshiba Regza 32RV635DB 32-inch Widescreen 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong at this price, 28 Dec 2009
In short I just wanted to add my tuppence worth that this is a brilliant TV for the price from amazon (whilst high-street retailers will try to flog you the same or a lower-range model for a far higher price).

4 HDMI ports is great, as is the resolution + feature. I haven't used the onboard freeview tuner yet (I use freesat) but for everything else it performs admirably.

The bezel and screen is a pain to keep free from dust and fingerprints though. Personally I don't like the glossy black finish that seems to adorn most LCD TVs these days, but there's no getting away from it.

Digital Alarm Clock in Silver/Charcoal 34172
Digital Alarm Clock in Silver/Charcoal 34172
Offered by KG Homewares
Price: 15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little clock, 28 Dec 2009
I couldn't ask much more from this clock, other than it being lit-up in some way at night. But that feature only really comes with units that require a power supply, and it would probably annoy me as I tried to get to sleep anyway.

The alarm is loud enough to wake you from slumber, and the clock compact for easy travel. And it's a decent price. I much prefer this style of battery-operated alarm clocks compared to plug-in ones which are a bit bulky and over compensate with various random features that you never use.

Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Offered by Super-bargains
Price: 19.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 28 Dec 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not going to try and write a comprehensive review because Max Porteus did an amazing job and to write another one would just be duplicated effort.

I honestly believe this is the best game of 2009, slightly (but firmly) ahead of Modern Warfare 2. Admittedly if online gaming is your thing you'll get more out of MW2.

But anyway, it seems to have everything you want. Flying murder stabby death, decent sword (or whatever weapon) combat, Da Vinci Code style puzzles, free-running, and a half-decent story to go along with it. Ezzio is also a much more likeable character than Altair, but then again, that's not difficult. The main thing that appeals to me (as it did with Assassin's Creed 1), is the sheer comedic brutality of combat and killing-moves (you know, when the camera zooms in to show a particularly gruesome death of some poor guard just doing his job). Try grabbing a weapon off a guard armed with a spear and using that for a bit and you'll see what I mean.

The only criticism I would have is that the game can suddenly jump forward years at a time to advance the story, but nothing seems to change. Ezzio looks the same, and so do all his friends and enemies. The only way you'd know it was a few years in the future is because it might be mentioned in dialogue. What the hell was Ezzio doing in the mean time? Clearly not doing much investigative work!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3