Profile for John Meakin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Stainless steel collection Stainless Steel Sauce Pan, 22 cm
Stainless steel collection Stainless Steel Sauce Pan, 22 cm

1.0 out of 5 stars Dented on arrival, 20 May 2016
Our saucepan arrived with a dent in the side, immediately next to the base.

From the way it was packed, this is unlikely to have happened in transit; and as it is a sturdy pan, it must have suffered a considerable impact, presumably during production.

This does not say much for the manufacturer’s (or seller's) quality control, which in this case seems to have been non-existent.

Otherwise, the pan is well-constructed, and appears to work well. A minor design fault is that it is extremely difficult to clean between the smaller handle and the rolled rim.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gold Chain Cufflinks + Black Pouch
Gold Chain Cufflinks + Black Pouch
Offered by Select Gifts Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars To make matters worse, I cannot find the lost half, 14 July 2015
I have been wearing chain cuff-links all my life with no problems - until I bought these, which broke unexpectedly after only few weeks. To make matters worse, I cannot find the lost half, as I was travelling - so I cannot even mend them.

They are clearly very badly made; and they also started to scuff round the edges quite perceptibly within a few days of purchase.

Not recommended, I'm afraid.

Celestron 31145 NexStar 130 SLT Series Newtonian Reflector Telescope
Celestron 31145 NexStar 130 SLT Series Newtonian Reflector Telescope

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for the price, 26 Mar. 2015
This is quite simply an amazing piece of kit for the price: it's easy to set up and easy to use; the image quality is fine with the eyepieces supplied; and it's even better with a 2" 30mm wide-angle eyepiece I've bought separately.

It's worth bearing in mind that it will work with 8 rechargeable AA batteries - which will soon save money compared to non-rechargeable ones, and save space compared with an external accessory battery.

Double Breasted Dove Grey Waistcoat 42" Regular
Double Breasted Dove Grey Waistcoat 42" Regular
Offered by Clermont Direct Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and very smart - please read comment for how to use the adjusting buckle., 26 Mar. 2015
This is a lovely waistcoat, and looks very smart on me.

My only issue is that it's not obvious how to use the adjuster on the back. It does not work like the buckle on a belt, as it might seem to at first sight: you pass the loose end behind the toothed bar and then back on itself, over the teeth - so that it ends up pointing to the right, not the left.

Achromatic Barlow Lens (2x) BA2 for telescopes 31,7mm (1,25")
Achromatic Barlow Lens (2x) BA2 for telescopes 31,7mm (1,25")
Offered by Seben GmbH

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but let down by the lack of end cap and box., 26 Mar. 2015
This Barlow lens appears to work fine, and used with the standard 9mm eyepiece which came with my reflector, gives a better image than a cheap 4mm eyepiece which I recently purchased.

However, this lens only one cap, with the result that the far lens (which is almost flush with the end) is liable to be easily damaged when not in use. There was also no box for the lens - which originally me wonder if it really was new as stated. However, I am assured by Seben that it is indeed new, and that the lack of box and far lens cap is to keep the cost down, which seems curious as these surely cannot cost much.

Seben also offered me a partial refund in exchange for removing my original review. I have re-worded it to reflect their reply, but not changed my main comment; I do not want a refund.

Orbinar Plossl 4mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25")
Orbinar Plossl 4mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25")
Offered by Seben GmbH

2.0 out of 5 stars Low price, but even lower quality, 26 Mar. 2015
This eyepiece is very hard to use, as I have to bring my eyeball almost into contact with the glass - and even then the image quality is poor. It's true that the eyepiece isn't expensive - but in my opinion it's worth spending a bit more.

Mendelssohn: 5 Symphonies, 7 Overtures (DG Collectors Edition)
Mendelssohn: 5 Symphonies, 7 Overtures (DG Collectors Edition)
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and value, 24 Sept. 2014
These are fine recordings, and excellent value for money.

Symphonies 2 & 8
Symphonies 2 & 8

4.0 out of 5 stars A good recording - a bit slow in parts, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Symphonies 2 & 8 (Audio CD)
This is a good recording of both symphonies, which puts an unusual amount of energy into the first movement of the 2nd Symphony.

The tempo of the 8th Symphony is a little stately: in my view, it would benefit from moving somewhat faster than this. Nevertheless, the CD as a whole is enjoyable to listen to.

Pashana Original Brilliantine With Pashana Essential Oils, 250ml
Pashana Original Brilliantine With Pashana Essential Oils, 250ml
Offered by Medideals

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice to use, 16 Jun. 2014
I bought a bottle of this some time ago and it has lasted for well over a year, despite being used every other day. It is nice to use, easy to put on and controls the hair very well.

It also has a pleasant "masculine" fragrance. For some reason, my hair actually looks and feels less oily the day after it's applied.

Traumnovelle und andere Erzählungen
Traumnovelle und andere Erzählungen
by Arthur Schnitzler

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far, 22 May 2014
I have read Traumnovelle and have started Fräulein Else. Both are beautifully and sensitively written, and extraordinarily ahead of their time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4