Profile for John Meakin > Reviews

Celestron 31145 NexStar 130 SLT Series Newtonian Reflector Telescope
Celestron 31145 NexStar 130 SLT Series Newtonian Reflector Telescope
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for the price, 26 Mar. 2015
This is quite simply an amazing piece of kit for the price: it's easy to set up and easy to use; the image quality is fine with the eyepieces supplied; and it's even better with a 2" 30mm wide-angle eyepiece I've bought separately.

It's worth bearing in mind that it will work with 8 rechargeable AA batteries - which will soon save money compared to non-rechargeable ones, and save space compared with an external accessory battery.

Double Breasted Dove Grey Waistcoat 42" Regular
Double Breasted Dove Grey Waistcoat 42" Regular
Offered by Clermont Direct Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and very smart - please read comment for how to use the adjusting buckle., 26 Mar. 2015
This is a lovely waistcoat, and looks very smart on me.

My only issue is that it's not obvious how to use the adjuster on the back. It does not work like the buckle on a belt, as it might seem to at first sight: you pass the loose end behind the toothed bar and then back on itself, over the teeth - so that it ends up pointing to the right, not the left.

Achromatic Barlow Lens (2x) BA2 for telescopes 31,7mm (1,25")
Achromatic Barlow Lens (2x) BA2 for telescopes 31,7mm (1,25")

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but let down by the lack of end cap and box., 26 Mar. 2015
This Barlow lens appears to work fine, and used with the standard 9mm eyepiece which came with my reflector, gives a better image than a cheap 4mm eyepiece which I recently purchased.

However, this lens only one cap, with the result that the far lens (which is almost flush with the end) is liable to be easily damaged when not in use. There was also no box for the lens - which originally me wonder if it really was new as stated. However, I am assured by Seben that it is indeed new, and that the lack of box and far lens cap is to keep the cost down, which seems curious as these surely cannot cost much.

Seben also offered me a partial refund in exchange for removing my original review. I have re-worded it to reflect their reply, but not changed my main comment; I do not want a refund.

Orbinar Plossl 4mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25")
Orbinar Plossl 4mm eyepiece 31.7mm (1.25")

2.0 out of 5 stars Low price, but even lower quality, 26 Mar. 2015
This eyepiece is very hard to use, as I have to bring my eyeball almost into contact with the glass - and even then the image quality is poor. It's true that the eyepiece isn't expensive - but in my opinion it's worth spending a bit more.

Mendelssohn: 5 Symphonies, 7 Overtures (DG Collectors Edition)
Mendelssohn: 5 Symphonies, 7 Overtures (DG Collectors Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and value, 24 Sept. 2014
These are fine recordings, and excellent value for money.

Symphonies 2 & 8
Symphonies 2 & 8

4.0 out of 5 stars A good recording - a bit slow in parts, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Symphonies 2 & 8 (Audio CD)
This is a good recording of both symphonies, which puts an unusual amount of energy into the first movement of the 2nd Symphony.

The tempo of the 8th Symphony is a little stately: in my view, it would benefit from moving somewhat faster than this. Nevertheless, the CD as a whole is enjoyable to listen to.

Pashana Original Brilliantine With Pashana Essential Oils, 250ml
Pashana Original Brilliantine With Pashana Essential Oils, 250ml
Offered by Medideals

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice to use, 16 Jun. 2014
I bought a bottle of this some time ago and it has lasted for well over a year, despite being used every other day. It is nice to use, easy to put on and controls the hair very well.

It also has a pleasant "masculine" fragrance. For some reason, my hair actually looks and feels less oily the day after it's applied.

Traumnovelle und andere Erzählungen
Traumnovelle und andere Erzählungen
by Arthur Schnitzler

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far, 22 May 2014
I have read Traumnovelle and have started Fräulein Else. Both are beautifully and sensitively written, and extraordinarily ahead of their time.

German Marches [Die schönsten deutschen Orchestermärsche]
German Marches [Die schönsten deutschen Orchestermärsche]

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent playing - one march missing, 22 April 2014
The standard of playing is very good, and the marches on the whole swing along at a brisk pace. However, the Petersburger march was missing from my download, and instead I was served Preußens Gloria twice over - slightly different recordings as well.

Professional Pocket Military Army Geology Compass with Bubble Level / Neck Strap
Offered by A-Nicetop

4.0 out of 5 stars Appears to work well; good for the money, 14 Mar. 2014
This compass works well, and is reasonably easy to use, once you have grasped the need for it to be level and how the two bubbles help you to achieve this.

I would not say it is as well made as the real military ones I used years ago - but you would never get one of those at this price anyway.

One small gripe: the thumb ring is much too small for my thumb (and I suspect for most other people's as well); but you can grasp it between thumb and forefinger instead. It also stops the compass from lying dead flat (on a map, say).

I would certainly recommend it at this price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4