Profile for Mr. P. Scoble > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Scoble

Mr. P. Scoble "sydsacid" (Manchester, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2
Moon [VINYL]
Moon [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great soundtrack with stunning themes, 28 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Moon [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I saw this film soon after it was released in theatres and although I was impressed by the movie, it was the soundtrack that grabbed my attention as much as as the story. I had never heard of Clive Mansell before, but loved his themes so much I bought the soundtrack. I NEVER buy soundtracks, so this was a notable exception for me. Admittedly not every theme appeals to me, but the haunting piano led theme that serves as the signature theme to teh soundtrack and the film is truly moving in the way that great classical music is moving. Not very uplifting, as the subject matter required a darker and sombre feel, but a very rewarding listen, especially if you like soundtracks. Perhaps not for classical lovers, but I defy any true classical fan not to love the signature theme. I bought it on vinyl, a nice 180g slice of plastic in a thick gatefold sleeve, and now a nice addition to my ever increasing collection, and a nice oddity too.

bravery repetition & noise LP
bravery repetition & noise LP

4.0 out of 5 stars Their best on beautiful purple vinyl, 28 Jan. 2011
The Jonestown have been going for almost 20 years now, existing on the periphery of the indie scene, perhaps at times overlooked in favour of lesser artists. This album, however, should be the first purchase for anyone wanting to investigate their sound. Anton Newcombe (founder and main man) has on this album delivered some of his best songs that while retaining the quirky and almost world-weary feel of earlier records, offer tunes and melodies of genuine beauty and heartbreak. Standouts include 'Nevertheless', 'Open Heart Surgery', 'Just For Today' and 'Stolen'. Side two wanes somewhat, but the first side is excellent and includes two of my top three fave tunes by this band. Not as eclectic as some of their earlier and later releases, this will not disappoint music lovers looking for something a bit different and with integrity. More reserved and understated than their mates The Dandy Warhols, The Jonestown here deliver their crowning achievement in my opinion. A decade old, and still I don't get bored with it. Recommended.

The Confession of Katherine Howard
The Confession of Katherine Howard
by Suzannah Dunn

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight historical drama, 28 Jan. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this book for my Mum, who has a liking for historical novels about the Tudors, so this review is a reflection of her feedback upon reading it. "I found the story quite entertaining, but ultimately unsatisfying as I think too much creative licence was taken with the subject matter. The Tudor period is of particular interest to me and myabe I'm just a stickler for accurate (as it can be) scene setting and adherance to the 'feel' of the time. Certainly not among the best of this genre, and perhaps hitching a ride on the train of more well known authors attempts at bringing this period of history to life, it was a reasonably entertaining distraction, but does not stack up against Hilary Mantel, or even Philippa Gregory. If you're short of reading material and you can pick it up cheap then maybe it's worth getting".

Mammoth Session
Mammoth Session

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Spooky Nu Folk, 30 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Mammoth Session (Audio CD)
I recently bought this album on vinyl, without having heard it, based upon a review from my local record store, and was quite simply blown away. Of late I have been investigating a lot of new folk stuff, particularly female vocalists, and along with Marissa Nadler's "Ballads Of Living & Dying", Alela Diane's "The Pirate's Gospel" and Meg Baird's "Dear Companion" albums, this is a welcome addition to my burgeoning collection.

The album cover suits the mood of the album perfectly, with its "creepy bunny", reminiscent of Donnie Darko and David Lynch's Inland Empire, although there is no real way of knowing whether either of these films was the inspiration for it. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

The opener "Shepherd", sets the mood of the album perfectly with strummed guitar, eerie harmonica and a spooky violin refrain, but it is the vocal chorus that lifts the song into the amazing; it's creepy but in a beautiful way.
Next up is "Bloom", a gorgeous solo performance by Teresa Maldonado accompanied by her guitar.
"As It Stops Raining" follows with a multi-tracked vocal and a simple electric piano backing.
"Summer's Ending Evenings" is up next with a plaintive electric guitar underpinning Teresa's soporific vocal. Another beautiful song.
"Snake & Sparrow" lifts the mood a little with a piano backing Teresa on an impassioned vocal in which she really shines.
"Mammoth" reverts back to solo electric guitar backing which is joined by violin about a third of the way in. Another great vocal.
"Alakazam" is played on a solo acoustic guitar in a dropped tuning (again joined by violin) with a subdued vocal.
"Erzulie Dantor" is another impassioned vocal with a piano accompaniment, and backing vocals reminiscent of the opening track.
"Exit Earth" is a wonderful plaintive song played on acoustic guitar with violin.
"Baron Samedi" is a real change in mood with a bluesy harmonica and guitar underpinning Teresa's bluesiest vocal on the album, and she carries it off admirably.
"The Man" is a simply strummed guitar with Teresa's solo vocal, little more than a demo, but a great one at that.
"TZSOTVOFASB" is the only track on the album to feature drums, which comes as a bit of a shock, with spacey electric guitar which is very west coast in feel, tambourine and acoustic rhythm guitar, over the top of which Teresa's understated vocal floats. The most indie flavoured song on the album (in a shoe-gazer way).
"Bugg Super Love Song" is a low key vocal over a piano, which eventually transforms into a kind of creepy electronic wail.

Overall a very intimate album, that definitely rewards a few listens. Traces of PJ Harvey, Tori Amos and Siousxie Sioux, perhaps (as some other reviewers elsewhere have said), but Teresa Maldonado is a talent all her own. I personally can't wait for more from this young Texan woman. Recommended to everyone.

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

3.0 out of 5 stars More Historical Fiction, 26 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A well written and researched book. A bit unweildy though. Not being a fan of historical fiction as such, I gave this to my mother who is, and so this review defers to her appreciation of it. Apparently, she found it a bit difficult to get into, in part due to the writing style, and her ultimate response was, if you like Philipa Gregory's stuff then this is probably best avoided. Still other reviews have praised it, so it maybe worth a punt if your a rabid historical fiction reader.

The Outlander
The Outlander
by Gil Adamson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, well crafted, 26 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Outlander (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good story, with well crafted and well-paced incidents. The author does seem to have a fixation with bodily functions however, which I found a bit unnecessary and did nothing to add to the story or characters. The characters are well decribed and fleshed out, which adds a great deal, as the chief character doesn't say a lot and spends a lot of time wallowing in a mire of introspection. Not a perfect novel by any means, but worth the effort. I did actually read it all and did did not tire of it, like I do with some novels. Recommended.

Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus 2009
Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Software, but extraneous for me!, 22 May 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is very good software, and it did find a few hidden nasties on my PC. BUT, as I already have excellent protection, nothing really gets into my PC in the first place anymore. However, as virues and worms and such are constantly evolving and becoming more tenacious, I have kept this software as an emergency resource. Having tried it I completely uninstalled it and shelved it for future reference.
The problem is, if a particularly bad infection gets into your PC, it usually cripples the software you already have on your PC to analyse or fix such invasions; therefore it is useful to have software like this, that you can load AFTER the infection, to detect and fix a problem. And a note, MAKE SURE you disconnect from the internet FIRST, to treat the PC offline.
IMPORTANT: I suggest you DO NOT install the Anti-Virus however. Get AVAST free from mant online resources. It is the best form of defence I have ever used, updates itself daily and protects you in real time when online. A great anti-virus.
Recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2009 11:44 PM BST

It Might Like You
It Might Like You

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't Very Impressed, 22 May 2009
This review is from: It Might Like You (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest I didn't get all the way through this cd. It just did not hold my attention. There seems to be a plethora of female artists around these days, and unfortunately this one is definitely in the lower league! I would suggest avoiding this and plumping for Meg Baird's "Dear Companion", Sibylle Baier's "Colour Green", or get hold of some Anne Briggs and see what female singing SHOULD be.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2011 11:54 PM GMT

Liege & Lief
Liege & Lief

5.0 out of 5 stars UK Folk Rock Masterpiece! - TEN STARS**********, 28 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Liege & Lief (Audio CD)
I have only recently (last month or so) discovered this spellbinding and beautiful album, although I have been aware of Fairport for some time. I had previously confined myself to the eponymous debut album pre-Sandy Denny, as it was closer in feel to the US West Coast folk rock that I love. I was under the misapprehension that Liege and Lief, indeed Unhalfbricking and What We Did On Our Holidays too, were unlistenable trad folk horrors. How wrong I was, and I'm ashamed that I didn't investigate Fairport Convention - Mark 2 with Sandy a lot sooner. But the very essence of being an avid music collector and appreciator is discovering jewels you haven't come across before, and fast approaching 40 years old I am relieved and happy that albums like Liege and Lief can still find their way into my world and amaze me.
Without doubt this is one of the best albums of all time. It's certainly my new favourite, I haven't stopped playing it yet. There isn't a bad track on it, with perhaps the exception of the instrumental medley, but even that fiddle led jiggery feels absolutely natural in the company of the other songs which are stunning. Standouts for me:
"Come All Ye", is a rousing call to arms, with a strident Sandy vocal. A superb opening number.
"Reynardine" is given a brilliant feel with a spacey guitar underpinning Sandy's breathy tones. Beautiful.
"Matty Groves" keeps up the high standard of this album with a captivating, rambling arrangement. Stunning.
"Tam Lin" is without doubt my favourite on the album, in fact I'd go as far as to say that it's now in my top ten all time favourite songs. It's amazing.
I had no idea UK folk rock was this good, but I do now. Unhalfbricking and Holidays are also good albums, but do not have the consistency of this album.
BUY IT NOW. It doesn't really matter whether you buy the one disc remaster (which I have) or the deluxe two disc set, no bonus tracks are going to really augment this album because it is so stunning on its own terms and merits.
TEN STARS**********
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2011 10:30 PM GMT

If I Could Only Remember My Name
If I Could Only Remember My Name
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Crosby's Crowning Achievement. Could have been a better reissue!, 24 Nov. 2006
I LOVE THIS ALBUM. I bought it years ago for a fiver, and then only because Crosby had been in the Byrds and Crosby Stills & Nash. But to be honest, those bands and their albums did not really prepare me for this wracked out stoned classic. Crosby's songs, while a member of the Byrds had been decidedly left-field, like "Mind Gardens" on Younger Than Yesterday, and few and far between, and perhaps the only indication of Crosby's excellence on this solo debut can be found on a couple of tracks from the first two Crosby Stills and Nash albums.

From start to finish this album is at once bewitching, cajoling, imploring, strangely imbued with a sense of longing and a gentle sadness. The perfect swansong to the excesses of the 1960's. Crosby's voice, and his vocal range is awesome. His arrangements precise yet thoroughly natural and unforced, abounding in melody and harmony. Folk rock, singer songwriter material of the highest order. This album deserves far more than five stars. The major point of disappointment is that this was Crosby's only solo effort until the late 1980's, because of his drugs problems, and that is a shame. Had he produced a few more albums like this his reputation would be bigger and better than it is already. The musicians he gathered around him to record the album reads like a who's who of West Coast Folk Rock legends, with Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Jim Cippolina, Jack Cassady, Jorma Kaukonen, Paul Kantner, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir to name but a few. Apparently the collective of musicians was the brainchild of Crosby and Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane) and went under the name of the Planet Earth Rock And Roll Orchestra. A series of albums was planned, but did not materialize. It just shows the regard all these musicians had for him. Inspired by the album I sought out bootlegs recorded around the same time and unearthed a plethora of unissued sessions, almost as polished as the album. Sadly only one track from these sessions has been appended as a bonus, which is quite literally an insult to buyers and the man himself. Where is Mountain Song and Under Anaethesia to name but two? Surely a deluxe edition like recent releases of other artists albums would have been a better option. Personally I'd rather have out-takes and alternate versions than the same album on a DVDA, which I feel is a total rip-off, we ain't all got surround sound y'know! On this reissue Crosby could have produced a double album if he'd used the best of the outtakes material, which would have elevated this already stunning album above anything else in my collection to my mind. Wonderful. Simply wonderful music. If you don't already own it, you no longer have an excuse (despite my griping), buy it now.

Page: 1 | 2