Profile for Victoria Eveleigh > Reviews

Content by Victoria Eveleigh

Victoria Eveleigh "Tortie" (Exmoor, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Spirit and the Magic Horsebox: Volume 1
Spirit and the Magic Horsebox: Volume 1
by Laura Quigley
Price: 8.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, funny and strangely believable!, 17 Aug 2014
I really enjoyed this book. A time-travelling horse box is such a good idea for a story, and the story itself is exciting and strangely believable. There's a lot of humour, too. In this first book, we meet Tom Faggus and his wonderful horse Winnie and also King Arthur and his knights. You definitely get the feeling that despite modern technology we humans haven't changed much throughout history. In fact, perhaps we're all reincarnated...

All That Glitters...
All That Glitters...
by K. M. Peyton
Price: 9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 14 July 2014
This review is from: All That Glitters... (Hardcover)
I love KM Peyton's books, especially the series that starts with Fly By Night and The Team. This story isn't as complex as some of her earlier books, but it's a joy to read. I get the impression that KM Peyton had great fun writing this, and her editor was wise enough to let her have free rein. The story is witty and well-written, but it also deals with some serious subjects if you care to look for them. All in all, a captivating read for anyone from 8 to ...well, I'm 54 and I couldn't put it down.

Buffalo Soldier
Buffalo Soldier
by Tanya Landman
Price: 5.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book from Tanya Landman, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Buffalo Soldier (Paperback)
I loved Apache, which was shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal, so I had high expectations for this book. It was everything I'd hoped it would be, and more: a good story with great characters, but unusual and thought-provoking too. Highly recommended for young adults and adults, and I hope it wins the Carnegie Medal!

3-Minute Horsemanship
3-Minute Horsemanship
by Vanessa Bee
Price: 13.74

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book, 20 April 2014
This review is from: 3-Minute Horsemanship (Paperback)
Most books about horsemanship have something useful in them, but this book is crammed full of useful, practical ideas from a horsewoman who realises that time is in short supply for most of us. This isn't a 'quick fix' book, though. Vanessa Bee's methods are tried and tested from her own experience with all sorts of horses and ponies, and she is brilliant at getting every second that you spend with your horse to count. One of the most valuable lesson I've learnt from her is that for most horses the greatest reward is to be calm and still - that seems to mean much more than lots of stroking and verbal praise. There are many other lessons, too, but you'll have to buy the book to find out what they are!
If you can only buy one book about training your horse, buy this one. You won't be disappointed.

Swedish ARMY ISSUE WINTER BOOT SOCKS, NEW AND ULTRA WARM
Swedish ARMY ISSUE WINTER BOOT SOCKS, NEW AND ULTRA WARM
Offered by CISSBURY RETAIL
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay and good value, 29 Nov 2013
I bought these as a present, but they don't really look new. They are slightly frayed, and look as if they've been rubbed in places. They're also thinner than I expected. However, they were cheap so I can't be too critical. I expect they'll do the job, and that's what counts.

SWEDISH ARMY ISSUE ARCTIC WINTER MITTS SET,NEW ULTIMATE WINTER WARMTH
SWEDISH ARMY ISSUE ARCTIC WINTER MITTS SET,NEW ULTIMATE WINTER WARMTH
Offered by CISSBURY RETAIL
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very large, 29 Nov 2013
These are much larger than I expected, but they look as if they'll keep hands (and forearms) warm and dry. The over-mitts are quite stiff, so difficult to do much with your hands while wearing them.

Darkling
Darkling
by K M Peyton
Price: 7.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful read from my favourite author, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Darkling (Paperback)
True to form, this book is another winner from KM Peyton. Ideal for a teenager or adult. Great characters and a neat plot.

Taymar Four Tier Dispenser for A5 Leaflets and Brochures
Taymar Four Tier Dispenser for A5 Leaflets and Brochures
Offered by Displaypro
Price: 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful product that does the job, 29 Nov 2013
Does the job and arrived quickly. Gave it four stars because I only give five stars to really great things and it's difficult to get really excited about an acrylic display stand!

Dingle Peggy: Further travels on horseback through Ireland (Bradt Travel Guides (Travel Literature))
by Hilary Bradt
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of both worlds: a travel book and horse story!, 2 Sep 2013
I'm so pleased that Hilary carried on her journey across Ireland on horseback with Peggy, despite the tragic ending to the first part of her trip with Mollie.
This book could be read on its own, but I'm glad I read Connemara Mollie first. Together, the two books took me on a fascinating journey, not only through Ireland but also through a life-changing adventure.
Hilary is refreshingly honest about her relationships with Mollie and Peggy, and how the two very different ponies changed her for the better and made her think deeply about how we interact with horses. This turns the two books into a truly satisfying story when read as a whole.
The epilogue in Dingle Peggy sums everything up beautifully. Here is a short extract: 'Horses are perhaps unique in our animal-doting world. We love them, we try to bond with them, and then we sell them on. A talented horse will have several owners during its 30-year lifetime, and goodness knows how many riders. Each time it changes hands it is expected to make the adjustment and respond with generosity. Most horses do. That is an extraordinary and deeply touching fact.'

Exmoor Magazine (Subscription 4 Issues)
Exmoor Magazine (Subscription 4 Issues)
by Naomi Cudmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite magazine, 14 Aug 2013
The Exmoor Magazine is the only magazine we buy regularly. It's so good that we've also bought binders to keep all the back copies safe for future reference. It's a fantastic 'coffee table' magazine, full of high quality photos, but look deeper and read some of the articles and you'll also find it's interesting and very well-written. There's something for everyone - even people who don't know Exmoor at all. Every waiting room in the country should stock it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3