Profile for Tangerine > Reviews

Content by Tangerine

Tangerine "tangerineman" (North Yorkshire)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips Disney Frozen Children's Sensor Night Light (1 x 0.06 W Integrated LED)
Philips Disney Frozen Children's Sensor Night Light (1 x 0.06 W Integrated LED)

4.0 out of 5 stars A soothing night light, 26 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This frozen themed night light is a simple and to be fair inexpensive way of assuring a child at night. One of my daughters uses a Disney themed night light and a younger sibling now would like one too. This review light became available and it has been a hit. An image of a frozen character is displayed - it's not that clear but it's ok. The light is about right in terms of its lux level and it is motio sensored but this isn't something I'd particularly want in such a product. Still all in all frozen themed as it is this light has helped settle a monkey of a 3 year old at night and that has to earn it a positive review!

Classic British Comedies The DVD Board Game
Classic British Comedies The DVD Board Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun to play and remember, 17 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This board game is very much opportunity to reminisce about comedies of yore just as much as it is a quiz game. A board game that provides various challenges upon which your success will depend upon your knowledge of the aforementioned comedies. This does mean that many potential players will struggle to answer some of the questions as unless they have been watching ‘Gold’ or watching DVD episodes of such comedy shows they will be unable to really get into the game.

Dad’s Army, Allo Allo and many more are topics here but many hark back from the 80’s! As we played and progressed around the board we did find a couple of questions a little obscure but generally they were a good balance of difficulty. If I were to be a bit critical it would be that the number of questions available (88) isn’t great. Double that and I really think that would have been better value. As it is, you wonder just how much replay the set will get.

There is no doubt that playing the game, seeing old clips and asking and answering questions of some really old favourite comedy shows was great fun. We all enjoyed ourselves and for that I can recommend. Where I would temper my enthusiasm would be that with only 88 questions it won’t take long to be repeating questions. In that regard 88 seems a little on the stingy side. That being said the box suggests this is the first of what may be a number of sets and hopefully, like they did for trivial pursuit, they will produce additional question packs to keep the game fresh after it has been played a couple of times. All in all though, for the memories alone it is a hit with me.

Kipling Women's Vecka Bg Purse K15438B98 Party Dot Pr
Kipling Women's Vecka Bg Purse K15438B98 Party Dot Pr

4.0 out of 5 stars A departure in style but a surprising hit, 14 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This little purse bag is brighter in colour than the picture shows and is much nice for it. I was unsure what my good lady would make of it but she was also taken with it even though it is quite a departure from her usual style. Quite what makes us both like it is, I suppose, what makes style/fashion/design subjective and fundamentally personal. All I can say is that it is nicely made, colourful and something much different from what my wife would normally use. Given its quality 'feel' and both of our positive responses to it I have to say it has to get 4 stars here.

Murad Age Reform Rapid Collagen Infusion 30 ml
Murad Age Reform Rapid Collagen Infusion 30 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars No noticeable difference, 5 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With a face only a mother could love it wouldn't be fair to subject this age 'reform' cream on myself. So, the wife decided to use it and I would scrutinise - it would surely be easier to review observing someone else applying it rather than myself.

Firstly, the most noticeable thing is the price. I didn't pay for this product as I am reviewing it - but for the price tag you don't get much. I am sure that the science behind the product is spot on (although I have no way of verifying it I happily admit). But a product that suggests within a very small amount of time once applied it will make you look younger has to actually do it - regardless of what the boffins say.

We have given this product a really good go but quite frankly I really don't see an noticeable difference when my wife uses it. Indeed, I insisted she used it some mornings but not others and I was unable to tell any difference. The biggest benefit was that I spent more time talking and joking with my wife on a morning that I would normally do - for that I thank you Murad.

Overall then I have to say this product hasn't worked for us. I accept that others will notice - and I truly hope that they do. But for me, trying to be as objective as possible, it hasn't won either me over or my wife. So, in conclusion I wouldn't recommend it.

Watermark [Blu-ray + DVD Double Play]
Watermark [Blu-ray + DVD Double Play]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Baichwal

4.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing documentary, 24 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Watermark is unashamedly `arty' in its style of presentation. And frankly is a triumph all the more for it. As documentaries go I imagine many would consider there are far more interesting topics to cover rather than water. Still, be assured Watermark is as engaging and interesting as many documentaries you will have seen.

There is no narration. In large parts there is no speech at all. What we do get is a `free' ride around the World and we hear from various protagonists and how they engage with the subject matter. For example, we see huge swathes of Texas land which has been transformed by agricultural `progress'. The consumption of water this agricultural activity achieves is such that it seems currently it isn't sustainable in the long term.

In Bangladesh we find a tannery owner who uses huge amounts of water, huge amounts of very nasty chemicals. The water utilised in the process is returned to areas used by locals to wash and clean themselves and probably even drink. The shoes made there were being sent to Cumbria.

In the frozen wastes of Greenland the scientists are observed obtaining further ice-core samples which can allow us to understand how much faster the World is getting warmer. We know that the planet gets warm and cold - what is the repercussion of making the warming happen faster than normal (if that is indeed what we are doing) - will we encourage a cooling down?

To China, where vast, hugely impressive engineering projects are undertaken. We witness the enormity of the project and understand how it will control water in the area. Perhaps to the benefit of many but it will cause a negative impact on others.

We also visit India and witness the use of water in the river Ganges where a literal river of people occupy the banks prior to entering the river itself.

The film shows the spiritual, mechanical and emotional relationship we have with water and indeed just how reliant we are upon it to grown the food we need to eat and itself which we need to drink. Ultimately, it shows how fragile our relationship may well be. You are left to make your own conclusions as you are simply provided with the information the film wishes to portray.

Whether there is an environmental `angle' to the presentation I suppose is a personal thing - I didn't really feel that was the case. But still, it does pose some interesting questions which if close to being truths will need some form of redress as our current relationship with water doesn't seem sustainable in the longer term.

So Watermark is a fascinating documentary. It is nearly 1hr and 30 minutes in duration but I watched, engrossed by the production before me. I would suggest this sort of documentary would be useful to play to older school children but for those like me, if you enjoy documentaries and are willing to engage with a wide array of topics this is worth consideration. It is a thought provoking and engaging piece of work and also shows that even in our most industrial activity, art is present. I suppose how could it not be?

I was provided with both a blu-ray and DVD and watched the blu-ray. It does come with extras which comprise deleted scenes and a behind the scenes section. I recommend the behind the scenes element in particular which indicates just how difficult it was to film and portray the vast Chinese dam during construction. It adds another fascinating layer to what is, overall, a superb documentary.

Bose ® SoundTouch 30 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black
Bose ® SoundTouch 30 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing audio quality, 24 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always known of Bose and their quality. I have owned a couple of pairs of Bose headphones over the years and these were outstanding. Their home cinema and music systems however have been unknown to me. Primarily because I have had an older hi-fi system that has done a fine job and hasn't needed replacing. Until now. When I was given the opportunity to review this SoundTouch 30 (Series II) I was obviously interested in given it a go. I have a large music collection and enjoy, like many, to listening to not only my own collection but the radio too.

On arrival I unpacked and found the unit neatly tucked away in all manner of protective casing. Two things struck me - firstly it is a larger unit than I anticipated and secondly that it is heavy. This is not a unit that is meant to be portable and moved around too much in my view. It is meant to have pride of place in the home and be ready for use. I was surprised at how little documentation was provided but nevertheless, I downloaded, as instructed the app onto my 5th generation ipod touch and an ipad air. In addition to the unit, remote control and a power cable (approximately 1 metre in length) it also has a two pronged plug - I assume for mainland Europe? And a USB to mini USB cable.

The system, once powered up needed to locate the wi-fi in the house (which was all administered via the app). A few minutes of updates and it was ready to go. The wi-fi connection was strong and constant. I therefore had a go with the internet radio. The choice was probably too great (and all could be done over a laptop anyway) and when you consider the claims of being able to access 20,000 thousand or so internet radio stations, six pre-sets seems too few. However, it was soon apparent that whilst this was the case you would fail to achieve the same level of audio quality. Put simply it was awesome. For my taste, the pre-set level of bass was too high. Via the app I entered the system settings and adjusted to my particular taste. Easy.

The unit comes with a remote control also so you can utilise that rather than the app. But if you have an appropriate (this link takes you to what products will utilise airplay - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4437) if I had one criticism of the airplay system is that it seems to be hit and miss. I have the an ipod and an ipad that are airplay enabled - but it can take a little while to pick up the signal (if I have been out and come back home). This is a little frustrating but once enabled, it is just like using any Bluetooth enabled speaker.

The unit is actually much nicer to look at than I thought it was initially. It has a brushed metal-like finish around the main body of the unit. On the top of the unit are manual, push button controls. All in all, it is a simple thing to operate but the key is performance.
Bose evidently invest their time and resources in research and development of audio performance. This SoundTouch 30 is a testament to that. Quite frankly it is stunning. Even at high volume levels it remains undistorted. I did, as I stated earlier, adjust the bass. This was for a number of reasons. My ears would bleed, the house would be shaken from its foundations, the neighbours would complain and the British Geological Survey would pick up the tremors on their seismograph station equipment. But joking aside I don't think many would be throwing too many criticisms at audio performance. It is rich and has depth. I haven't experienced quality like it before.

I suppose the question is value for money. Is this Bose produce actually worth £600. It is a big outlay - this system is more costly than my new television to give some perspective. However, whether you are willing to pay will depend on just how important music is to you. As always, it is a personal decision. I, obviously, didn't pay for this so it could be assumed it is easy for me to wax lyrical about it etc. etc. But I wouldn't praise if it wasn't justified. For me, I'd say the performance is worth it. It would be great if it were cheaper - obviously. But on balance this is about getting the best results in terms of audio quality. On this basis you have to seriously consider this Bose. It delivers magnificent sound and given that is what it was fundamentally made for, it definitely achieves this.

Airfix 1:72 RAF Benevolent Fund BAE Hawk Gift Model Set
Airfix 1:72 RAF Benevolent Fund BAE Hawk Gift Model Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 23 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Once upon a time I was making airfix models all the time. As I got older I got distracted by other things and my love affair with airfix ended. So, what a fine thing it was to be given the opportunity to review an airfix model a hawk at that too!!

The models are pretty much as I remember, the various parts needing to be cut away with a Stanley knife or the like from the frames provided and glued together. I spent one night actually putting the plane together and the second doing the painting. I am actually quite pleased with the outcome but my stickers effort tonight (3rd night) was poor. My fingers are just too big to get the stickers off so tweezers would have been a far more sensible approach. I never learn.

There is actually a part of me that is considering a far more complex model to make and perhaps I may ask for one from Father Christmas. He was pretty good to me in the past! So this re-introduction could lead me to getting back involved. There is, I feel, still a place for airfix. The model making process is engaging and tactile. Yes, computer games depict sporting occasions for example, but the model making is something you are actually doing and can physically hold. It is a nice change of pace. I like to think that some 12 or 13 year old boy or girl would really enjoy making these airfix models. I also think there is an educational angle here too, the model once made, always drew me to wanting to know more about the actual aircraft (Sea King and the like). I used to use my top trump cards (aircraft edition!) as a starting place but having a father in the RAF was a good way of finding out too.

I have to say it has been a pleasure to make the model. It is a fun and enjoyable experience. It is something I'd recommend for young and old to get involved in. Parents - you can help younger children too and make it a task you do together. There is little to fault here, I would just want more and bigger models to make! About as good a recommendation as I can give.

Galt Toys Purse Pals
Galt Toys Purse Pals

3.0 out of 5 stars How long they will last I don't know but my daughter loves them all the same, 19 Oct 2014
This review is from: Galt Toys Purse Pals (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first, when the box was opened I was a little disappointed to see that the purses were not made of fabric. Rather they are made of printed foam. However, when my eldest daughter began sewing the first of the purses (the cat) it was obvious that it would be harder for a young child to sew fabric in comparison to the foam. The plastic needle and cord thread were soon finished with their work (although my daughter did need some assistance throughout) and once made she was really pleased. Of course as I knew would be the case, one would lead to two, two to three and we may as well just finish off the fourth whilst we are at it!

In this regard, the interest this product caused with her was such that I have to be positive about it. The problem really is that firstly, I think there should have been a couple more purses to make but the biggest issue was that they didn't stand up to a great deal of use (to be fair a younger sister got involved and was in some instances less than sympathetic to the purses) but even my elder daughter who was very gentle found out the hard way that she couldn't put too much in to the purses.

I have to say that I think these are quite cute for little girls and my daughters reaction was positive. Once you perfect the construction process(!) and appreciate you may need the odd running repair (and keep them out of the reach of younger siblings!) they do work to some extent. Nevertheless, they are more decoration than anything else in my opinion but still, my daughter loves them and in this regard they are a definite hit in our house.

Disney Frozen Ice Skating Anna Doll
Disney Frozen Ice Skating Anna Doll
Offered by Fun Collectables

3.0 out of 5 stars A hit on one hand a miss on the other, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like many children my daughters loved Frozen and have subsequently got Anna and Elsa dolls to play with. They have been well played with too. When the opportunity to review one of these 'skating' dolls came up I thought I'd take it up, particularly given how much Frozen is adored in this house.

Like previous Frozen dolls getting them out of the box was a little more awkward than I would prefer. Nevertheless, soon 'Anna' was 'skating' across the dining room table. She is supplied with a snowflake shaped 'stand' which once one skate is slotted into she glides across tables and the like. However, beyond this she is limited in what she can do. She cannot sit for a start unlike the other Anna doll we have. She is charming enough but again the crown she wears (like in previous incarnations) slips from the dolls head far too easily - this design flaw should never have really existed in the first place, particularly given the dolls price.

For all my economic based aspect on the toy the fact is my daughters love her. So much so that they want the Elsa one as Anna on her own means she is argued over from time to time. On this basis, as a toy sought after by a child I can imagine these skating Frozen dolls will be very popular.

So, from a child's perspective the Anna skating doll has been a hit. But from a parents perspective considering paying the best part of £30 for one of these you have to say it feels too much. Yes, the Frozen film was charming and fun to watch but the merchandise in this instance at least seem a bit of a let down. The limited movement suggests to me that the better value doll would be the non-skating Anna doll (which as I have said we have and is very nice and cheaper). She may not 'skate' but she does much more. I can't ignore my daughters reactions, they adore Anna, but they adore Frozen so will be swayed accordingly. If this was cheaper I'd have given it 4 stars, as it is and bearing in mind that my children love it, I can't be too mean so it has to be 3.

Girl Tech Password Journal 8
Girl Tech Password Journal 8

3.0 out of 5 stars It is all going a bit 007, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Girl Tech Password Journal 8 (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of my daughters has been quite excited at the adverts for this and was very pleased to find that we now had one for her to try out. I was more impressed with the build quality than I thought I would be and once the three 'AA' batteries were installed (they don't come supplied) my daughter was keen to take control.

After explaining that the password she would need to set voice recognition security would need to be short we found the recording of the password a chore - but only because it was amusing to here her try to say something without laughing. Once the giggles were set aside she set the password. We have since had fun with me trying to imitate her voice to gain access!

When the case is opened you get a message 'Welcome Back' and when closed it bids you farewell. The music and voice rendering is perfectly acceptable for a toy of this price. Inside the journal is a notepad and a ultraviolet pen which if drawn with, the light shows the writing done. This 'secret' part of the journal is what my daughter particularly enjoys. Another benefit is that she is now writing even more than ever, with an array of pens and pencils (which I admit was something she enjoyed anyway, but this has encouraged that even more) although her favourite remains the 'secret' pen. Consequently, I would say there is an educational slant/possible benefit for some children - although I am not sure I can say this was a deliberate aim of the Mattel!

All in all then this is quite a nice thing at the current price point (around £20). We would have bought one anyway I am sure but would I still? The answer is yes. I'd recommend this if only in the hope that you daughter engages in writing even more too and for the funny password setup!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20