Profile for Tangerine > Reviews

Content by Tangerine

Tangerine "tangerineman" (North Yorkshire)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
skinChemists Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, 26 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very expensive product and there is no getting around it. It is something that you do take notice of and I suppose expectations are raised somewhat. The cream comes in a nice enough looking dispenser and has a mild scent. It applies easily and is absorbed by the skin nicely. It is a nice feeling cream and does have a feel of a premium product. Whether it is worth the money though - that is hard to say. I have asked my wife to test this for over a month now. I have tried to give it as much time to demonstrate its effectiveness. All in all I'd say my wife's skin and complexion has shown some improvement (it was good to start with in truth) but I have noticed a visible difference. For this then I'd have to say this stuff does seem to work. So the big question is should you part with the money - I never did, I got a free product to review but there is no doubt this cream is the real deal as far as I am concerned. If you want to improve wrinkles, this is well worth considering, expensive as it is.

Thief (PS4)
Thief (PS4)
Offered by Gamesbuyer

4.0 out of 5 stars True to the original thief game in many ways and much better for it, 17 July 2015
This review is from: Thief (PS4) (Video Game)
Thief '4' is the latest game of what remains a series of games that I don't think have entirely received the praise or following they deserve. Nevertheless, those that enjoy Thief tend to love it. I fall into that category. From the original 'Dark Project' game I played on a pentium 166 (MMX - oh yeah) to the Metal Age and of course Deadly Shadows I was very pleased to hear that a new game was to be developed. So, does it cut the mustard?

In a word, yes. Thief was always a story driven game. The first three (even Deadly Shadows which is the worst of them) provided a story which revolved around various factions of the City. This game follows that tradition. The story is very well told and if anything I wanted more. Setting the game in an era where there are no lasers or huge array of guns is a nice change of pace. Using specific arrows for specific tasks is enjoyable and the setting of a time gone by (not modern day and where mystic ideals are still believed by some) suits the series perfectly. Whenever I hear of rumours that the next game could involve a modern day setting I shudder. I can appreciate the interest from the developers but it would not suit the games universe.

The voice acting is superb although it was a terrible shame that the original voice of Garrett (the character you play) was no longer voiced by Stephen Russell who was brilliant. Unable to do anything about this I had to accept it and ignoring this disappointment have found this game to be very much in keeping with the original ideals of the first two games. Level design is good and NPC's play an important role in the game. It is obvious that a game like this (as almost all new ones do) involve such detail that they take a long time to make. These details are well worth the effort providing a wonderfully immersive experience. I particularly liked the rain and lightning - an atmospheric touch - and they used it more than once. It took a while to get used to the control system as all other Thief games I played were on a PC. I still play them and hope that they continue to develop for the platform. But despite my reservations, the PS4 controller allowed me to do as I wished in a way I didn't expect. It took a little while to get used to it, but once I did, it felt intuitive. Graphically, I thought the game was impressive too. But perhaps I am easily pleased!

I am impressed with this game in how it does take its steer from the original games (I think anyway) and hope that another one is made. Although they will no doubt wish to base this on the specific version of the City they have created, there is no reason why they couldn't involve the Hammers, Pagans and even Mechanist's - these original factions could be added back into the game and provided a brilliant back-drop to the original games. I'd love them to reintroduce the 'Trickster' who was dealt with by Garrett in the original game. The universe Thief has created for itself allows for a myriad of stories to tell and in this regard I think Square Enix/Eidos Montreal would be best in exploring these. Notwithstanding, that Garrett needs to be allowed to 'loot' a bit whilst he progresses whatever story they wish to pursue. For me though, the steampunk World of Thief has to be reinforced and the battle between Hammers, the City in its own technological advances (relative to where it is) and the pagans who wish to remain in the 'woodsie' can remain the backdrop to the game and be acknowledged further.

I hope this is how they go because if they do, more of this will be another enjoyable and rewarding experience. A good game and true to the fundamentals of the original games.

Braun Series 9 9095CC Wet/Dry Electric Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger
Braun Series 9 9095CC Wet/Dry Electric Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best a man can get?, 15 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Series 9 Braun shaver is the latest effort from Braun. I have used electric shavers on and off for years but always use a basic razor blade in the end. No matter what the box says, the fact is that the performance never quite matches my own expectation and those shown in the adverts. Braun have made a very nice feeling shaver. It feels substantial but not overly heavy. The shaver sits in a base unit which performs two functions. One to power the shaver and the second to clean it. Once unpacked the cleaning solution vessel needs to be put into the base unit. Thankfully, this is an easy process.

To charge and ultimately use the shaver I had to buy an adapter as the power cable is one of those 2 pronged plugs for sockets you often find in bathrooms and especially hotels. Once charged I gave the shaver a go. I wasn't overly impressed. However, I kept going and in fairness it did leave a reasonable finish. I also have to acknowledge that it takes time to get used to the shaver to make the best of it.

A month on and how do I feel about it? Well, its a very, very well made shaver which oozes quality. In this regard it is worth the outlay (which is significant). However, performance is mixed. It claims to be able to deal with 3 day old stubble. I haven't found that to be the case. Areas can be left well shaven but other areas, especially around the neck are frustratingly left badly shaved. To achieve the outcome you see on the adverts you have to go at it for some time. This isn't something I have a lot of in a morning or even an evening these days and I had hoped this shaver would reduce time spent on shaving rather than increase it. The simple fact is, at least in my case, that although performance is ok it takes too long to get there and furthermore, it still didn't leave results I was blown away by. I do keep using the shaver because if you use it regularly I have found it can keep on top of the stubble sufficiently enough. I don't quite feel the Series 9 signifies the end of my old wet razor blade just yet, but Braun are closer than they ever have been in my view. Unlike other shavers I have had which now gather dust in the back of the draw, this one is used regularly. It just complements my razor blade. I look forward to the day I can ditch it completely but that isn't here just yet.

LEGO 41101 Friends Heartlake Grand Hotel
LEGO 41101 Friends Heartlake Grand Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully imposing and fun lego set, 4 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Without doubt this set has the 'wow' factor! It is a huge set, a big build and took plenty of time for my 6 year old to complete (which required significant assistance from myself). The Grand Hotel makes a fantastic centrepiece to any lego sets you have - especially if they are from the 'City' or 'Friends' range. It was a delight to construct, the pool and revolving doors particularly appreciated features. It would have been lovely if there was four rooms rather than 2 but all in all there is little to be critical of.

At the current price (£92) this would, in my view be a fantastic main Christmas present (my apologies for raising that time of the year in the summer but it is simply an observation of mine). So imposing and such a great build. It is a well designed building and the construction of it easy to follow. I'd suggest children around the ages of 9 or 10 could probably do much of this themselves. My daughter did well on some elements but I was heavily involved in the building (which I appreciated greatly!). The fact remains that younger children will still enjoy it (my youngest loved this and the sheer size of it as a main set in the numerous ones we have was quite evident), you just have to accept a greater role in the construction which if you are like me won't be an issue!

Lego have done it again for me. Five figures, a huge central structure (in lego terms) as well as a large number of additional pieces such as the taxi/car make this a good value set. It is a challenge for perhaps younger lego fans but with encouragement and some help the Hotel is soon built. We have taken some time to build this (we started over Father's day weekend) and since we have incrementally got there but the building is as much a part of it. The enjoyment my children get from roleplaying with the figures in the hotel is a delight to see and I just can't fault the beauty of lego in this regard. It remains a firm favourite and we will continue to purchase additional sets to compliment this one. The only issue is that the lego, when we lay out everything, is like a little town in itself and we have little room for any other toy!! It is a small price to pay for the fun and enjoyment this set contributes too which in its own right is enough for hours and hours of play and fun. An absolute joy.

McLevy, The Collected Editions: Part One Pilot, S1-2: Nine BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramas including the Pilot episode (BBC Physical Audio)
by David Ashton
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars An old fusty sandwich - but a very tasty one!, 23 Jun. 2015
At last it would appear that the supreme McLevy plays are to be fully released. With ten series in total many have been left to own 8 if they are lucky. This first collected set then offers the first two series (8 episodes in total) with the added bonus of the pilot which I had never heard before. McLevy follows the diaries (with some poetic licence) of James McLevy the great Edinburgh thief taker. A cast of super actors and written by the tremendous David Ashton I cannot fault these stories. It is an utter delight and I cannot wait for more. I just hope they release them all so I can basque in the glory of these wonderful plays. For those who have never heard any of them I urge you to give them a try. It is a wonderful set of performances (the main characters played by Brian Cox, Siobhan Redmond, David Ashton and the excellent Michael Maxwell-Perceval) - this is not to detract from the others either who all play their part in contributing to this wonderful drama. Magical, there is nothing else to say!

LEGO 41104 Friends Pop Star Dressing Room
LEGO 41104 Friends Pop Star Dressing Room

5.0 out of 5 stars You are on the stage in 5 minutes!, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the stage set it was obvious that there had to be a dressing room one too. This is a charming set, which I would say at its price point a good deal. I don't always feel that way about these sets but in this instance I think it is priced right. As ever my eldest daughter helped construct and whilst the 'lights' around the mirror were a little fiddly she found the basis of this pretty straightforward to build. Watching her follow the instructions and put the set together remains something I am fascinated by and she is much more confident than she was when she first started. She is methodical in her approach like me which amuses me. But construction aside the set once built (and combined with the stage set) offers an alternative and additional level of play which my children have really enjoyed. Once again then Lego have hit the target - a good value set that compliments other sets in this 'Pop-star' range really well.

LEGO 41105 Friends Pop Star Show Stage
LEGO 41105 Friends Pop Star Show Stage

5.0 out of 5 stars True Lego spirit at its heart, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Lego 'stage show' has been another well received set. Given its intended age range of 7-12 my 5 year old found this a little more challenging in the construction phase and needed quite a bit more help with several more fiddly bits to construction than we have previously encountered. However, that meant I got to build more so I was quite pleased. I remain unsure about lego sets for boys or girls but I also accept Lego know their market and these sets in the 'Friends' range appear very popular indeed. We have a large number of them now and my daughters love them.

The set, once built, allowed for imaginations to run wild with various figures taking their turn on the stage! This leads neatly to one of my slight criticisms of the set in that Lego could easily provide 4 figures rather than 2 - for me, this would be more generous and reasonable. It is a slight criticism all the same. Overall though I do feel this set feels a little out of place with the others in the range which are town based - even the ranch feels better placed within the context of the sets we have. This, I know, has several elements (there is even a Tour Bus!) but it did feel a touch out of place. Perhaps this is just me but overall, seeing my children play with it and the other sets they have let me know one thing for sure. Lego remains an addictive toy that allows wholesome fun for hours and hours. It may not be quite the same when I were young - you got a box of bricks and made it up as you went along - but in many ways that remains - it is just more directed with a build already pre-planned you still 'play' and the outcomes are all unknown. For that lego, I salute you. You still got it!

LEGO Friends 41094: Heartlake Lighthouse
LEGO Friends 41094: Heartlake Lighthouse
Offered by Toybroker-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely lego set, 16 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another Lego Friends product and yet another that has been enjoyed almost as much by me in the construction than in the play my daughters have had with it. The eldest of my children loves building lego products but found this one (at 5 years of age) the toughest of the sets she has encountered (and we have many!). However, she embraced the challenge and when built I certainly think it helps her appreciate it all the more when she plays with it. This set is rather nice and I particularly like the ice cream 'sign' that sits outside the shop. I think this is about right in terms of price also so a good value set which is impressive when its finished. It presents a nice challenge and is another thumbs up from this house, a lovely lego set.

LEGO Friends 41093: Heartlake Hair Salon
LEGO Friends 41093: Heartlake Hair Salon

4.0 out of 5 stars Short back and sides please!, 16 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter has really got into lego and I have enjoyed seeing her become as interested in it as I did when I was younger (and if I am honest - still am!). I remain a little unsure whether it was necessary to have a specific 'girly' lego - lego was universal and never stopped my sister from playing with it. This slight doubt aside I take it for granted that Lego know their market. This hair salon set is nicely made and my daughter (who is 5 was able to construct the majority of this on her own with very little help from me). This is the beauty of lego, the freedom it offers with easy to follow instructions but also the possibilities it allows the builder to alter the design slightly as they see fit. Ours is very slightly different from the instructions but it still works - lego remains supreme for this and whilst I still prefer the random blocks in a box and let your imagination free type situation, these pre-designed sets still offer these possibilities. A nice set, which my only criticism is that it is a little too expensive. Otherwise, very good.

Russell Hobbs 21200 Aura Hand and Stand Mixer - White
Russell Hobbs 21200 Aura Hand and Stand Mixer - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Budget dual mixing machine, 6 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This hand/stand mixer has some real good points. Firstly, it has a nice sized metal mixing tin and being able to be used in two functions means this product has two distinct uses and in some respects that is quite a handy thing. So does it work? The short answer is yes. It does mix up ingredients (for a sponge cake for example) although you do need to give it a little bit of help by drawing some parts of the mix into the centre of the mixing bowl. I did notice that the more ingredients you put in, the harder the mixer worked - and whilst this is obviously expected, it was straining more than I thought it would.

The rotating mixing blades mean the mixing bowl spins as the mixture is formed - again though, this is hit and miss - it sometimes works, it sometimes didn't. If it doesn't you can manually do it if you wish. My main issue with the unit though is how unstable to the mixer seems when in in the stand position. It locks in but this doesn't feel particularly stable and even more so when you power this thing up - even on the lower settings the thing shakes a little more then you'd expect. However, this is a budget product and although you can tell, it does stir up the ingredients (if you help a little) to a nice consistent mixture.

The results then are good and if you are looking for a budget mixer this is well worth some consideration. Overall, not bad at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20