Profile for Tangerine > Reviews

Content by Tangerine

Tangerine "tangerineman" (North Yorkshire)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PLAYMOBIL 5208 Fairy land - Take Along Unicorn Suitcase
PLAYMOBIL 5208 Fairy land - Take Along Unicorn Suitcase
Price: 22.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Well built and fun set, 13 Sep 2014
This Playmobil set has been a hit with my daughter who is currently in love with anything Unicorn based. The figures are well made and you get a few of them too which is nice. It didn't take too long to put together although the flower heads were fiddly for me with my clumsy hands. It is a nice, well made set and once again I have to say that Playmobil have produced another good quality set. If your child is interested in Unicorns too, I can certainly recommend.

One other thing to note is that the green base can be removed and fits as a 'backing' to the main white piece. This means that the set becomes a 'suitcase' and can be transported or tidied up quickly and easily. A nice touch.

Brilliant Hair Bands
Brilliant Hair Bands
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely set that allows creative imagination loose, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Brilliant Hair Bands (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughters have enjoyed making hair bands with this lovely kit. 'Crafting' if that is even the correct term is pretty big in our house and although you can acquire many of the pieces you get here from various craft shops this, as a starter set is really good. It certainly lets the imagination loose and my daughters have hair bands of their own creation now. That unique element is something you can't get from wider commercial products and we like the fact that the girls have sat down, created their own hair bands and used the fruits of their labour. That is a nice thing. I have to give 5 stars because the smiles from two of my daughters (the ones old enough to wear hair bands) are so wide wearing their own hand-made hair bands (ok mums hands were pretty instrumental) speaks for itself.

Tacwise 1187 16ga/ 45 Finish Nailer Nail Gun
Tacwise 1187 16ga/ 45 Finish Nailer Nail Gun
Price: 118.79

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful DIY tool which feels very well made, 13 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This nail gun comes presented in an embossed, hard plastic case and on picking up the actual unit, you can tell it has some quality about it. It feels a well made piece of kit and first impressions were pretty good. It was a few days before I actually used the nail gun for a couple of jobs in the garden, but my initial inspection stayed with me and I was looking forward to using it.

Well, I now can comment in performance. I used the nail gun for two jobs - an initial garden fence repair (or so I thought) and a repair on a play house which my daughters use when playing in the garden. The loading mechanism is easy to operate and the 2,500 38mm nails I was provided with are split into groups. You simply insert them into the mechanism and push it until it clicks back into place. It was as simple as that. Once loaded and plugged in there is another switch near the handle which once clicked means the nail gun will fire if the trigger is engaged. Obviously, safety is a huge issue with such a piece of DIY kit and with the safety on the 'off' position (it has the standard symbols for 'on' and 'off' rather than the words - which I'd prefer) and the nail gun did not fire. Piece of mind at least in that regard. So, once 'live' I tested the nail gun on a spare piece of timber to get a feel of operating it before I took on the jobs I had in mind.

The first thing I noticed is that once on the unit makes no noise at all. No humming, whirring or anything. You wouldn't know the power was on if it wasn't for a single green LED light indicating it was receiving power. On actually firing a nail the recoil is noticeable. You have to apply some pressure to hold the nail gun in place. Once I did this, although the recoil remains the gun feels like it is under more control. Once I'd fired around a dozen nails I was happy I understood how the nail gun felt when actually being used. When in the garden and taking on the fence job I was so much more mindful of where my feet where, my hands, people around me - I am very cautious at the best of times, but this made me ever more so. Not a bad thing. I earlier said I thought the fence repair would be an initial repair - because I thought the nails supplied wouldn't be heavy duty enough. I have to say that the nails were so well driven in (most of the time) that once I had repaired where I had wanted to the fence was very sturdy indeed making me wonder whether I'd need to go at it again with bigger nails. The repair on the play house was done swiftly too with a result I am pleased with. Ironically, one of the issues would be having to get these nails out if I needed to - I hope that day doesn't come because they are jammed right in there.

So, issues - there aren't many really. Occasionally, I found some of the nails needing tapping in with a hammer as they weren't quite fully 'in' but I blame me more than the nail gun for this. The safety button works but I'd prefer it say 'on' and 'off' just so it was very clear as opposed to the 'I' and 'O' symbols of on and off. A small personal preference. It isn't a cheap thing and you can do the jobs I have done (as I would have done) with a hammer and nails. This takes longer but whether or not that is such a problem is more a personal choice. I don't mind doing DIY jobs but if they can be made quicker but are still done well I am happy to try it out - after all, time isn't something we get back!

So, all in all this nail gun is something I have been impressed with. I can already see it being used in a number of other jobs that need doing (a squeaky step on the stairs for starters) and because of the varying sizes of nails you can get, the types of jobs it can help with are varied. It is also a well made piece of kit, with a good 'feel' so if you do part with your cash I don't think you will be disappointed. That being said, if you don't get the nail gun in the exact spot you want you will need a hammer to finish off anyway but with practice this can quickly become an invaluable DIY tool. I have never had one before but if this ever does need replacing I am pretty sure I'd be looking to get another one. One final thing to note is that the manual states that you should only use Tacwise nails with the unit - I am sure nobody would try but just be aware - buy this and you will need to have Tacwise nails to operate it. I haven't tested this but was something I thought I'd point out. With everything being equal then I am impressed with this nail gun. Whether it is worth the price is probably another personal thing - for me it is a touch expensive but its build quality and performance are very good and you do, very often, get what you pay for.

LeapFrog LeapBand Activity Tracker (Orange)
LeapFrog LeapBand Activity Tracker (Orange)
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting alternative approach to encouraging physical activity for children, 12 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The LeapBand we received was orange so straight away I was fond of it! However, the actual premise of the product does interest me. I think many of us are aware that child obesity is an issue and where technology can help - it has to be worth checking out at the least. I am lucky as my children are not overweight but exercise is an important thing regardless and this toy/gadget does give an added incentive to physical activity.

The actual band is quite chunky but the screen is a pretty good size and quite clear and vivid to look at. It is no retina display - but let's not get silly - it is certainly more than acceptable. You are able to select various 'pets' who by completing physical activities allows the child to accrue, for the want of a better word, points, which allow for further upgrades to be applied. The pets you can choose are varied in number and can be customised (different colours essentially) - this took ages as my daughter was keen on most of them!

The activities are then requested via an audible command - it is sort of having a very softly spoken drill sergeant telling your child to do something! The requests haven't been turned down thus far although some of the commands appear a touch repetitive. Overall then I like this product. It adds an alternative dimension to simple play and physical activity and the ability charge up rather than replace batteries is excellent. In addition the ability to connect to a computer and review activity (just like a Nike fuelband or Fitbit) is interesting although a little big brother perhaps!

The LeapBand then is bright and colourful and pretty easy to use. It offers an interesting way of encouraging play and activity in your child and the encouragement of that has to be a good thing. For the money it is probably just about worth it. The unit feels well made and the strap isn't too flimsy. So, if you are seeking to encourage activity/sports/play or whatever or are keen on just offering an alternative dimension to those same things, the LeapBand should be very seriously considered. I am likely to buy another one for one of my other children - I don't think I can offer a better recommendation than that.

Durex Comfort XL (12 Pack)
Durex Comfort XL (12 Pack)
Offered by Max Medsurge
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Provides a bit more room than the standard, 12 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, if you are a gentleman who needs some extra, errrrr, carriage, these may help. We are considering our birth control options and I hate condoms because they are very uncomfortable. Having been given the opportunity to select this product to review I wondered if some more room may help. Well, these do help - they aren't perfect as durex could do with making these even wider but all in all they are certainly bigger than the standard offerings. If you do need your condom to have greater capacity then these are worth considering - they are better than the standard sized offerings (if you really can't get away with them) and that is better than no choice at all.

Crayola Marker Maker
Crayola Marker Maker
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars More educational than outright fun, but enjoyable all the same, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Crayola Marker Maker (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With everything you need to create your own Crayola markers, this set has been an interesting (if a little messy!) set to use. It has intrigued my daughters with the eldest enjoying the freedom of creating her 'own' colours - although given her favourite colours are purples, pink, blue and red (at the moment) her imagination hasn't quite taken off like I had hoped.

So, this set allows you to create 15 of your own markers and to be honest it is a fiddly process. However, over time it gets easier to do (like most things). I had hoped that one of my daughters could do much by herself but although she wanted to, the process is quite precise and despite her best efforts she couldn't quite do it without a bit of help from me. The most awkward bit transferring the core of a marker to its barrel. Although seeing the colour spread is quite good fun.

I like the mixing card they give you to remind you what colours make what and the fact that you get two of your own flat-pack boxes to create your own felt tip holder. I think this set has educational applications and it has certainly been more about that then the results which in our house (probably due to my own involvement) have been ok rather than great. However, the smile of my daughter using her 'own' marker pen was certainly worth it.

If I am honest I'd have liked a couple more markers - perhaps the ability to make 20 - but this isn't a deal breaker. The measuring tubes could probably be a bit bigger (wider) just to allow for a younger child to drop in the ink but overall given the educational slant of this product I am happy to recommend it. But let's be fair - it is easier and cheaper to just buy a packet of felt tip pens!! If you can spare the time and are happy to have a messy play time though - this is worth considering - especially if you are trying to teach your children the basics of colour (and mixing) as well to perhaps a lesser extent how things like pens are made and that all the products we take for granted have to go through some form of production for us to use them.

XMI X-Mini WE XAM17-B Portable Thumb Size Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Orange
Price: 26.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Good things really do come in small packages, 3 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When they say mini they really do mean it. This tiny speaker is so small you can be forgiven for thinking it won't produce any decent results. After using this speaker for several hours and with varied music types I was both surprised and quite frankly impressed by its performance.

In terms of build quality I have to say the speaker feels good, with an embossed, diamond pattern main body. It is a tactile thing and its orange finish is something I certainly like - although mine is a lighter shade than shown in the picture - more tangerine but given my name that is no bad thing either.

Bluetooth connection once charged was easily achieved with my ipod touch. And then began the music. It really is impressive. At the top end I'd say the speaker struggles but if you don't go overboard (I mean 100% volume with heavy metal music) you can't go wrong with this very portable speaker. Performance is impressive, producing well rounded results although a touch light on the bass at times. However, the mid-range is spot on for such a small device and given how portable this speaker is, you really can take it anywhere and you can listen to your tunes in clear audio quality.

I love how portable this is and how easy it is to use. There is only one switch, off, on and Bluetooth. If I had one minor quibble it would be that like my Bluetooth headphones I can see the battery level on them - with these speakers I can't - oh and I don't like the blinking light either when used on Bluetooth, but overall, these very minor issues aside there isn't much to complain about. At the price you don't seem to get much for the 30 quid or so, but believe me, the performance of this little rascal is impressive enough to make you realise it was well worth it. I am certainly very impressed.

H2D iR Ionic and Infrared Professional Hair Dryer
H2D iR Ionic and Infrared Professional Hair Dryer
Price: 52.14

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality hair dryer, 3 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This hair dryer comes in a really nicely presented box and once opened reveals the glossy finished unit. It has four speed and heat settings although I can only see variations on the handle. It also comes with a cold 'shot' button which does omit a genuine blast of cold air which can be quite handy.

The blurb claims that it has 'ionic generation' which basically means it creates ion particles which 'infuse moisture' and provide a silky finish. I can't tell if the hair dryer really does do this or not but I can confirm the finish on hair once dry is really nice. It also dries quickly and has a nice, well built feel.

All in all this H2D hairdryer is really quite impressive. Is it worth the asking price? Well, on balance I'd say just about. It is a well built product and has a 'feel' of quality. The box also contains a brush and a diffuser and you get a 12 month warranty. If you want quality you often have to pay for it and if you do choose one of these I think you will be pleased you did. It offers good results and has that whiff of quality about it.

Barbie Glam Camper
Barbie Glam Camper
Price: 75.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Barbies huge glam camper van!!, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Barbie Glam Camper (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Barbie Glam Camper is a large toy, measuring about 2ft long and just over a foot tall. It is a mobile home and is finished in a rather loud pink, but given this is Barbie that is to be expected. The camper opens up to provide accommodation – kitchen, shower and bathroom as well as 4 beds (1 double). In addition the cab folds out to create a rather funky hot tub/pool.

The van comes with additional items for the rooms so for example there are food items for the kitchen which aid play. There is no doubt that my two daughters have found this a fantastic toy and have allowed their imaginations to run riot. They are Barbie fans anyway, so this was going to be a winner. It is so imposing on first sight that it almost seems impossible for it not to go down well. The fact that it comes with no dolls is a slight disappointment – 1 would have been nice and particularly for the price which, let’s be honest, isn’t cheap.

In terms of quality of its build it does seem a pretty sturdy toy and that is re-assuring if you are going to pay out for it. Still, I have a nagging doubt about that price despite the fantastic appeal this toy clearly has with my daughters.

There is no doubt that if you have a Barbie fan at home this addition will surely be welcome. It is a big, good looking thing and brightly coloured. It has a number of little accessories and touches which do make me smile (I like the hinged flat screen tv personally) and it is a big toy – when fully opened up it covers a pretty big area.

The elephant in the room is price, but if you are looking for a primary present this Christmas or even for a birthday then this has to warrant consideration despite it. At least one doll would have been a nice addition but even without it you are going to see your daughters play with this for hours and hours. It has only been a few days and this has been played with during each and every one of those days. Whether it will last as a favourite only time will tell but for aiding imagination this sort of toy is so good at. When you think of it in those sorts of terms it has to be well worth considering at the very least. I will be honest, I would have probably been buying one of these this Christmas anyway – probably about as good a recommendation as I can give it. So in conclusion, very good.

Barbie Secret Door Alexa Doll
Barbie Secret Door Alexa Doll
Price: 15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright and colourful but not really two songs....., 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to say that this is a well made doll. It is bright and very colourful and my eldest daughter is madly in love with this Barbie after just a couple of days! In addition to the bright colours if you pull the arm of Barbie she sings a 'song' which is actually a one line verse and her torso lights up with various colours. Press again and she does the same thing but with a different one line 'song'. My main quibble with this item is that as a toy it is sold as the Barbie performing two songs. These two lines aren't enough to be justified as 'songs' in my view but frankly my daughters reaction has been so good I have to be positive. It is a touch expensive but it is well made so if you are looking for a Barbie, you may want to consider this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20