Profile for Tangerine > Reviews

Content by Tangerine

Tangerine "tangerineman" (North Yorkshire)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Playskool Showcam (Grey)
Playskool Showcam (Grey)
Offered by Inspiration Toys

2.0 out of 5 stars Childrens camera let down by awful performance, 10 Nov 2013
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Playskool Showcam (Grey) (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Introducing children to photography is a good thing, and this Playskool 'Showcam' tries to aid this introduction. The alternative to these cameras, which are specifically aimed at children offer much more robust alternative to entry level digital compacts which wouldn't last 10 minutes in the hands of a young child. Firstly, this camera is quite big so a younger child, with small hands may not be able to operate this camera. However, with our 2 year-old this wasn't an issue. The buttons are nice and big, and tactile. It seems reasonably durable, although the chassis of the camera seems to be made of a strong plastic (it does have two rubber grips to the side) and may shatter if the child is determined enough to damage it (although nothing seems to be able to resist this intent!!). These are this cameras best qualities. In terms of performance, the camera is awful. In low light you can see next to nothing. Even in good light conditions (outside) the camera delivers a really poor performance. Some of the menus offer the opportunity to add effects to the image - these are good but because you can't really see the image, the effect is lost to a large degree.

Of course, this is a child's camera but to really give the child a 'buzz' you want them to be able to see the results. And of course, you need to expect some loss of performance. However, we know that we can buy a digital camera for the same price as this that provides photographs you can see - I don't believe it should be lacking on this camera - no matter who is meant to be using it. As an aside, the 'showcam' which allows you to project images onto walls is a lovely idea - but once again, fails because images aren't sharp enough to really be seen.

In terms of this camera giving a child an insight into how a camera works, a generic button layout etc - it does a decent job. But for overall performance it lacks any real punch - and I really don't know why - the technology is available at this price point so I am unsure why this camera can't give a bit more. If it did, I'd be a real fan of this. As it is, I'd recommend the Vtech Kidizoom. It is a much better camera (not perfect by far) but at least allows for the images to be seen much more clearly.

Philips AVENT Digital Video Monitor SCD603/01 with Lullabies
Philips AVENT Digital Video Monitor SCD603/01 with Lullabies

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding baby monitor, 17 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a standard 'audio' baby monitor before this product became available to me. This was also a Philips product and has performed well (and still works after several years). This however takes things on to a new level. The addition of digital video provides another method of ensuring your little one is ok. There are some issues - you have to make sure you place the camera in a place that you can be sure you will be able to see your child. With these overcome you can see your child asleep - and if they are light sleepers this is useful as it prevents you having to tip-toe out of the room hoping to not make the floorboards creak. The addition of 5 lullabies is a nice touch (although hasn't worked with our fussy little one) but I think it will work with some children. All in all this is a sturdy, well made piece of kit. It offers a wonderful level of security when your child is asleep and although it is expensive, this piece of mind is on balance, in my view, worth it.

SanDisk Connect 32 GB Wireless Flash Drive (SDWS2-032G-E57)
SanDisk Connect 32 GB Wireless Flash Drive (SDWS2-032G-E57)

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy storage device, 24 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This USB stick is a fantastic storage device. It may only be 32gb in size but can create its own 'wi-fi' and allow you to access it as and when required remotely. Using this device is simple and, well, it just works. My only real issues are that 32gb these days isn't much (I sorted all the family photos recently and its in excess of 100gb!!) and the device is quite expensive. But all in all this is a great item and in effect expands the storage device of, say, an Ipad by 32gb! All in all a very portable, useful device to store files in a 'wireless' fashion. Of course, if you don't mind a small wire you can buy 500gb external hard drives for not a great deal more - it won't offer the wireless freedom but is something to consider and really depends on what you need the storage device for. Nevertheless, this Sandisk USB stick is very good indeed.

LeapFrog Creativity Camera App with Protective Case (Green)
LeapFrog Creativity Camera App with Protective Case (Green)

1.0 out of 5 stars Odd product, 15 Sep 2013
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My ailing eyesight caused me to think this was a toy camera. One I thought one of my children could review with me. In fact it is a large cover designed to fit over an iphone which your child can then use to take photos with your iphone without destroying your expensive phone. In truth I just can't see the point. Yes, the 'case' seems sturdy but I just wouldn't bother. You can get play cameras for children for much less the cost of an iphone and its much easier to keep the iphone out of reach of little hands. I am sure some will go for this but I just don't understand why you'd risk the phone being damaged. Children have a habit of breaking things - even when protected and so for me it just seems a product with little market. But, if you are inclined to let the children play with your iphone this cover may well be up to the task. It has a sturdy feel and the locking mechanism seems child proof enough. But dare you risk it?

Russell Hobbs 20360 Desire Whole Fruit Juicer - 2 Litre - 550 Watt - Black
Russell Hobbs 20360 Desire Whole Fruit Juicer - 2 Litre - 550 Watt - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Great juice but not without its flaws, 15 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The prospect of freshly made fruit juice is something many of us relish. My family guzzles the stuff down and so the idea of making our own appealed. The juice is quite big and takes up a big piece of kitchen worktop. It is also noisy but that is to be expected under the circumstances - it does, after all, grind up fruit, which can be a tough job. The feeder slot it big enough to take large pieces of fruit. But it takes loads to get a decent amount of juice! The costs of running this have to be considered. It is expensive making your own juice.

Another issue is that there are several sections that need to be cleaned. In comparison you can by fresh, non-concentrated juice for a price, which relative is cheaper. On that balance I find it hard to recommend this sort of item. It is a luxury, which if you can afford to run is a nice thing to have - and you know exactly what is in the drink you are consuming. But for me, it is a treat and we have our own home-made juice once a month or so. We can't justify it any more than that sadly.

Finally, I have to say that the juicer looks good in its black and deep red colour scheme and it does juice well. If you are in the market for once of these juicers - and can find one available - it certainly warrants some consideration.

Remington AQ7 Wet Tech Rotary
Remington AQ7 Wet Tech Rotary

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not good enough performance, 15 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was fortunate to be able to review another electic razor and wasn't impressed with its performance. I'm drawn to the notion of making a task simpler and quicker - but as long as it does it well. With the previous razor not fitting the bill this opportunity to review another was one I thought I'd take. The Remington is also waterproof meaning you can use it in the shower if needs be. The unit itself is almost rubberised and you can tell it has been very well sealed to ensure that it is indeed waterproof. I also like how it looks, design-wise it fits well in the hand and is very light. That lightness concerned me a little as I wondered if the motors would be powerful enough to give me the shave I wanted.

So, performance. The key issue for me personally. It was poor. Dry, the unit left me with much of my stubble and also an irritated face, red marks all over my neck area in particular. When used with shaving gel that problem was eradicated but performance remained nowhere near as good as I'd get from my basic wet razor blade. It was a frustrating experience and I just can't recommend this product on the tests I gave it. I had another two goes with it but got fed up quickly. It's just not anywhere near the level I expect and for that I will be sticking with my razor blade until the technology can deliver a good shave. I remain hopeful that this will happen eventually, but I have to say I am disappointed by the performance and hope one day to be impressed in the future. Not there yet in my opinion!

Gillette Venus Embrace Razor and Holder
Gillette Venus Embrace Razor and Holder
Offered by EuroBuyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, simple and effective, 15 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife swears by these razors and given the price its not hard to see why. A simple but effective product that produces really good results. I've done charity leg waxing once before - never again - and if I had to shave my legs (thank goodness I don't) I'd use a razor. I think my wife would always stick with this method to. If you are considering an alternative this has to be worth a shot.

Philips PerfectCare Expert GC9222/02 Steam Generator Iron - One Perfect Temperature - 300g Pressurised Steam Boost

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible difference over conventional irons, 15 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Somewhat unsure whether these pressurised steam irons could so out-perform the standard iron that costs around £50-£60 I was staggered to see the difference. My wife and I have used this iron over the past 5 weeks or so to give it a thorough workout and to ensure that my review was fair. In the end it was a no contest. This steam iron cuts down the time it takes to iron big loads of washing. The difference was incredible. When you consider how much ironing many of us do during a week, month or year if that time can be reduced to doing more enjoyable things if there is a way of cutting that time down it may well be worth it. In this case the big issue is the price of the iron. I can't tell if the cheaper versions of these types of irons compare in a good way - what I do know is that on balance I think this iron is worth it. The time you save to do things you really want to do is just such a boon it has to be.

The cable the unit is attached to the water tank too is long giving plenty of reach. The tank lasts for some time although on larger loads of ironing has needed refilling. The tank is large and storage is an issue - but without the water you can't create steam so its sort of necessary. The water tank has a self de-scaling button too. The unit tells you when it needs doing and it sorts itself out. Impressive again. If I had one slight criticism it would be that the steam button is very sensitive and when picking up the iron it is easy to set it off. The factors of price, the storage issue and the design have to be considered but all in all my wife and I are resounding fans of this iron. In fact, when we tested it directly against out Philips 'conventional' iron we couldn't quite believe we had spent so many years ironing with such things. It seems old technology in comparison and not really fit for the job. It is pricey, but you get your life back - and what price can you put on that? In the end it will be a personal thing. The storage of the unit is an issue but can be overcome and all in all I have to say that this iron is well worth consideration. A genuinely fantastic piece of kit.

Jack Reacher [DVD]
Jack Reacher [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise

4.0 out of 5 stars Jack Reacher, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
Tom Cruise stars as Jack Reacher the latest 'hero' to be lifted from the printed word and now transferred to the big screen. Having never read the books by Lee Child I had now prior appreciation of Reacher nor his back story, nor his army of fans. So I went into this with little expectation. The film starts with a hideous crime being carried out and the methodical process that law enforcement undertake to try to catch the criminal. Now caught the main suspect demands only one thing. Jack Reacher. However, he doesn't want to be found. A drifter, he lives a life unlike most. He seems always on the move.

When he arrives (rather luckily during a conversation two other characters are having about him) he becomes involved in the case which has more to it than first thought. Firstly, the story is taut and does twist. The cast is excellent too. Richard Jenkins playing a poker face throughout. The brief efforts of Robert Duvall are enjoyable. Rosamund Pike comes across well as the determined and focused legal eagle whilst David Oyelowo impresses as the methodical policeman - and is a good foil to Tom Cruise when on screen together.

The action scenes are also impressive. The fight in the bathroom feeling particularly 'real'. The script gets a bit OTT at times - particularly when Cruise suggests what he may do when he catches up with one of the bad guys during a telephone conversation. But as someone with no knowledge of Reacher he comes across as a confident and brilliant investigator. My one problem with it is that he comes across too arrogant and too good - almost Colombo good rendering all the policemen across the World almost redundant.

But as a whole Jack Reacher is an enjoyable film.

Contraband [DVD]
Contraband [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Beckinsale
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Contraband [DVD] (DVD)
Contraband features Mark Whalberg in the lead as Chris Farraday, a former criminal who would ship dodgy merchandise into the USA for various amounts of cash. Now going straight and running his own security business he and his family are doing ok. His former associate (played by Ben Foster - who rarely plays a nice guy - check out the Messenger to see him in a different type of role) is also running his own business. Sadly, Chris has a brother-in-law who is a few leaves short of a salad and is still trying to 'import' certain types of merchandise - stuff that Chris himself would never have touched. An unexpected visit from the authorities means he has to dump it and when he returns to dry land the 'business men' who requested the package are upset to say the least when he hasn't got it. With his family now threatened with their very lifes Chris must return to his former career.

The film twists and turns and is an enjoyable ride with Whalberg an engaging presence on the screen. His performance well supported by the excellent Foster, Kate Beckinsale as his wife and Giovanni Ribsi as the hot headed and nasty 'bad guy'. However, the brief efforts of J K Simmons are very much the highlight for me - amusing to say the least.

An excellent friday night thriller type film that you can just sit back and enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20