Profile for PetePorchos > Reviews

PetePorchos

Aqualung Live
Aqualung Live
Offered by davidmorpurgo

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not bad at all but somehow a mega band like Tull ..., 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: Aqualung Live (Audio CD)
Oddly I have never owned the original Aqualung, so I was surprised how well I remembered the tracks on this live version of it. I am not sure what I was expecting from this album but this wasn't it. It's not bad at all but somehow a mega band like Tull needs mega production in a stadium rather than plugged in front of forty people. So I found it all a bit thin. Interesting and enjoyable, though. I thought the packaging was a bit weak, too, rather plain and cheap, it deserves more.

Trouble In Shangri-La
Trouble In Shangri-La
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars A few gems but ........., 24 May 2014
This review is from: Trouble In Shangri-La (Audio CD)
I have most of Stevie Nicks' other albums. I bought this one because my sister gave me her most recent one for Christmas and that seemed pretty good in comparison with her older work.

The title track is good as is 'Planets of the Universe' but the rest is fairly average. I've got the expanded Rumours and the rough version of Planets of the Universe on that makes an interesting comparison.

Hejira
Hejira

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Hejira (Audio CD)
I first bought this album on cassette packaged with 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns' in one of those discard boxes that they used to have in places like WHSmith. That would have been the early eighties. I wasn't a Joni Mitchel fan and probably only bought these cassettes because they were SO discounted. But I found them instantly great and couldn't understand why they had never been treated as her best work, having subsequently bought most of them other old stuff. Anyway, Hejira seems (along with Hissing of summer lawns) to be very well regarded now, and I can only agree.

Her earlier albums are good, with good tunes etc, but Hejira is much more interesting and long-lasting in all ways. A good investment.

And having recently bought a CD of the work it's all much better than my wonky old cassettes with the squeaking and hissing tape!

On The Night
On The Night

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like it years ago but ......., 10 May 2014
This review is from: On The Night (Audio CD)
When 'On Every Street' came out I didn't like it at all, because of the pedal steel guitar. And when I heard 'On the Night' first time years ago I felt the same. It just wasn't the Dire Straits I liked.

I heard 'Romeo and Juliet' on a tinny cassette player at a friend's house a few weeks ago and thought I'd better reinvestigate this album. I'm glad I did.

The old image of classic Dire Straits has softened in my mind, so I now really enjoy the addition of the pedal steel stuff. Many different takes on some real gems.

So, if you dismissed it out of hand when it was issued as I did, give it another go, with the broader mind that time gives us.

So in a way I'm glad I missed out all those years ago because I can enjoy it now.

Rough Harvest
Rough Harvest
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars No overproduction here, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Rough Harvest (Audio CD)
This album of reworked versions of (mostly) already and issued tracks has a fresh, live feel about it. A bunch of good songs, not a reworking of 'greatest hits' at all. Sung and played with feeling. Great fiddle playing. Quite invigorating, really. Has been overlooked, and it shouldn't be.

Lovers Live
Lovers Live

3.0 out of 5 stars A pity about the audience, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Lovers Live (Audio CD)
I go for live albums. They offer a different and genuine take on familiar songs. Arrangements are naturally sparser than on a studio production, which I appreciate. Generally the audience adds to the experience and gives the whole thing an atomosphere and energy that is often lacking in studio takes. However the audience on this live album is totally inappropriate. Sade is/are not teenbopper idols and don't need to be screamed at in the way they are here. Even if the screams weren't wound up high in the mix they would be excessive, but here they seem to be given greater emphasis than the actual perfomance. At times they almost drown out Sade herself.

The performance is fine, I'd just love to hear it in a different mix.

North and South
North and South
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 4 Jun 2012
This review is from: North and South (Audio CD)
I heard this album for the first time a couple of evenings ago. I have to say that I was really surprised at its quality. I knew City to City and Night Owl when they first came out but hadn't listened much subsequently. Baker Street has meant that we never listen to anything else, and it's a great pity. I can think of no other reason why this great record has been ignored. Just one weak track, the shortest one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2012 1:54 PM BST

Sony Walkman NWZ-E436FR 4GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Red
Sony Walkman NWZ-E436FR 4GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, 4 Jun 2012
I've had this mp3 player for a while and have to say that it is excellent.

Pros:
small and neat design.
controls easy to use.
nice clear screen.
long battery life.
drag and drop uploading (but you lose the album art).
you can use Windows media player to upload files.
plays BBC iplayer video files.
excellent sound quality.
good video quality on iPlayer videos.

Cons:
proprietary USB upload cable.
can't create playlists on the machine (you have to use Windows Media player.
bloated proprietary software (you have to download quicktime to use it), but you really don't need it.
ear buds are not the best quality.