Profile for Inanna > Reviews

Inanna (UK)

The Two Rooms: VOLUME 1 IN THE "HOTEL STORIES" SHORT STORY SERIES
The Two Rooms: VOLUME 1 IN THE "HOTEL STORIES" SHORT STORY SERIES

5.0 out of 5 stars Acutely observed dark comedy, 20 Oct. 2013
Brilliant short story which builds up the tension through lots of telling details. I didn't see the climax coming. Only one complaint - too short. Can we have some more please Leigh - a writer as good as this must have some more in the cupboard somewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 6:16 AM BST

3m - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable by Cablesson - (VIDEO Adapter lead for Apple iMac- Unibody MacBook - Pro - Air & PC with Mini DP etc.)**Supports Audio and New Thunderbolt Port** Full HD 1080p 24k Gold Plated
Offered by HDCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy as pie way to connect macbook air to TV, 29 Dec. 2011
This is what I was looking for. The HDMI end goes into the back of my Panasonic TV and the mini port goes into the side of my macbook air and the rest is history! No need for an extra cable for audio - this does image and audio. The long (3m) cable means I don't need an extension cable. Everything is perfect.

The only thing you need to do is go into preferences and change the sound so that it is the TV rather than the macbook.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 10:58 AM BST

John Adams - On the Transmigration of Souls
John Adams - On the Transmigration of Souls

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful memorial to those who died on 9/11, 10 Feb. 2005
This is a beautiful and powerful piece to commemorate those who died in the terrorist attack on the world trade centre. It combines an orchestra and two choirs (adult and child) with recorded street sounds (cars, footfalls) and voices reading the names of people who died and extracts from missing persons notices and memorials posted round the site of ground zero.
My perception is that it is a quiet piece, but when it does crescendo, it is like a wave carrying me into the emotion. The quiet and simplicity are deceptive - it is a very powerful evocation of the people who died. It reminds me that everyone who died was loved, and leaves me feeling the importance of cherishing every human life.
One technical point - the piece is only 25 minutes long, and there is nothing else on the cd. I think that this works really well - the music is surrounded by silence rather than being crowded in by another track. However, if you were expecting 60 minutes of music you may be disappointed.

Gorecki:Symphony No.3
Gorecki:Symphony No.3
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A desert island disk!, 30 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Gorecki:Symphony No.3 (Audio CD)
This is one of my all time favourite pieces of music. I first heard it in the bath, and I got out dripping wet to switch on the tape recorder to make sure that I found out what it was and who it was by!
I find it incredibly powerful and moving. I'm not a technical music person, so I can't tell you what is happening in the piece. All I can tell you is that my heart soars and my soul is moved.
Listening to the samples on amazon may not give you the full feel of it as they are quite short, and the piece unfolds and builds up slowly. Borrow it from a friend or the library to see if you like it.
Marvellous

Descent to the Goddess: A Way of Initiation for Women (Studies in Jungian Psychology)
by Sylvia Brinton Perera

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me make sense of my own descent, 25 Jun. 2004
This is a Feminist-Jungian interpretation of the ancient Sumerian Inanna Myth. She explores the characters of Inanna and Ereshkigal and the nature of Inanna's descent, death and resurrection clearly and powerfully.
She sees Inanna as representing "daughters fo the patriarchy" - outwardly successful women who have taken on patriarchal values, and Ereshkigal as the "deep feminine" - the feminine side that we as individuals and as a society have rejected and pushed into the shadow. The descent of Inanna to the underworld is then the journey to die to the old life and reconnect to the deep feminine.
For me this book gave meaning and structure to my own "descent to the underworld". Much of the book resonated deeply with my experience. Perera writes powerfully and with authority, and draws from a wide range of sources.
I liked the fact that this is a specifically feminine interpretation of descent and transformation, and it complements the many books and accounts of the descent to the psychic underworld that are not feminine or that are consciously or unconsciously masculine.
Although it is slim, this is a meaty book. If you have come across the Inanna myth in other books (eg Maureen Murdoch's "the Heroine's Journey") and want to know more, or if you are a successful woman who seems to be being sucked into your own "underworld" and want to understand it better, I recommend this highly.

The Heroine's Journey
The Heroine's Journey
by Maureen Murdock

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent description of many women's lives, 25 Jun. 2004
This review is from: The Heroine's Journey (Paperback)
This book is an accessible and easy to read description of a place many contemporary women find themselves in. Murdoch talks about how we separate from our mothers to take on the values of our fathers and our patriarchal society. We become women who are outwardly successful but something is missing - we are cut off from our feminine side. The book describes the journey to re-connect to the "deep feminine", heal the relationship with the mother, and integrate the feminine with the masculine.
I found this book really useful - it illuminated and clarified what was happening to me, and I recognised myself in many of the descriptions. Murdoch quotes freely from many sources and the overall approach could be described as "feminist Jungian", (but don't let that put you off)!
The book is easy to read and covers a broad canvas, so doesn't go as deep as some of the books it draws from, but is a really good introduction to the material (if you want to go deeper the references are there).
My only caveat is that this book describes a particular kind of woman, and not all women will identify with all of it. But if you are a successful woman in your thirties, forties, fifties, sixties and you feel that despite your success, something is missing or wrong, then you may find that it is just the thing.
I think it is great. I have recommended it to friends who have also loved it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2008 4:46 PM GMT

The Virago Book Of Fairy Tales
The Virago Book Of Fairy Tales
by Angela Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and addictive, 9 Mar. 2004
I love this book (and its successor the second virago book of fairy tales). It contains fairy tales from all around the world, the common thread being that they are focused on women. Some of them seem familiar - variations on tales we know but with different cultural twists. Some are completely new to me (eg from African and Inuit traditions).
Although you might think that a book of fairy tales is for children, I don't think that this one is - many of them are too rude or too gruesome. This one is for grown-ups to savour and delight in. (Since I discovered it, many of my friends have received it as a present).
I placed it in my "smallest room library", as short stories are perfect for that place, and judging by the chuckles and rather-longer-than-usual visits, it has been appreciated!

Healing into Life and Death
Healing into Life and Death
by Stephen Levine

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, 16 July 2003
Although this book arises from Stephen Levine's work with working with people with life threatening illnesses, I think that it holds deep resonances for anyone who feels that they are on a psychospiritual journey. Even if you are not "ill", you may well still need "healing" to become the person you have the potential to be, and this book provides signposts and techniques to help that process.
Some books are really powerful because the articulate what is floating below the surface - stuff you know but haven't named. Peck's "the road less travelled" was one such book when I read it many years ago. This book is another. Reading it I suddenly understand what I have been doing in my therapy and spiritual work.
It is even more powerful for me because I do have a chronic illness (ME/CFIDS), and want to work with the more-than-physical elements of it. This book not only describes some of the landmarks on that road but also provides very useful tools, such as meditation transcripts to help that process. If you are in that position too I recommend this book very highly.

The Hobbit (Audio CD)
The Hobbit (Audio CD)
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Edition: Misc. Supplies

1.0 out of 5 stars Dated and noisy, 4 Mar. 2003
I am a great Tolkien fan, and sadly I cannot recommend this audio book. It is a reissue of the BBC production of 1968, and as such it has a very "period" quality. The music is very 1960's hippy and experimental (and to my ears not very attractive), and the dwarves all have screechy high voices, more like the romanticised "fairy folk" that Tolkien disliked than the serious dwarves we see in Lord of the Rings (LOTR). There are a number of scenes where there is both music and screeching and it is hard to hear what is going on!
I know that the Hobbit is written as a children's book, so the characters are less "serious" and developed than in LOTR, but on this tape they are just childish and silly. I wish that I hadn't bought this, and that I had bought an unabridged reading instead.
Don't let this put you off the BBC audiobook version of Lord of the Rings which is in quite a different league and, I still think, the best adaptation of LOTR there is. This tape of the Hobbit is riding on its coattails, and is not of the same quality.

The Tiger in the Well (Point)
The Tiger in the Well (Point)
by J. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Philip Pullman book I have read, 11 Aug. 2001
Of all the P Pullman books (His Dark Materials, the other Sally Lockhart books), this is the one I have enjoyed the most. It is very tightly plotted, the twists and turns making the book totally un-put-downable. At another level there is a lot of psychological depth - in facing her enemy, in seeing him as a human being (pitying him, trying to save his life), Sally is also facing her Shadow. As part of her awakening she looks more closely at her own actions, at things she had taken for granted or chosen not to see, and as a result understands the true purpose of her life, and how she must transform it. Jung would have been proud of you Philip!