Profile for Patterns of Life > Reviews

Content by Patterns of Life

Patterns of Life "P.O.L." (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Earth Afire: Book 2 of the First Formic War
Earth Afire: Book 2 of the First Formic War
by Orson Scott Card

4.0 out of 5 stars The story continues, 1 April 2014
Picks up straight after Book 1, all 1 book really; would be 5 starts but this book doesn't really have an ending either. If you like any of the Ender stories, Shadow saga etc. you should read these too.

Earth Unaware: Book 1 of the First Formic War
Earth Unaware: Book 1 of the First Formic War
by Orson Scott Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good story from O.S.C., 1 April 2014
Another great read in the Ender future; reminds a little of Ben Bova in the near future realism about how we start to exploit the solar system rather than just explore, but the people are better "drawn". Would be 5 stars but I hate books that don't have a proper ending, it just stops..

Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD]
Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too long, Not too short but just right!, 3 Jan 2014
Tried various exercises in the past but have struggled to keep going or, in the poor quality ones, even start because I can't work out what I'm supposed to be doing. The main, 40 minute programme does just what it says on the tin. After a few weeks I'm still waiting the day where I get all the exercises right but helps keep me motivated! Worth going through all the advice the first time but can skip (joy of DVDs!) later. This DVD would encourage me to buy more of the "for Dummies" series much as I hate the name!

Thermal Blackout Curtain Linings to fit curtains 66" wide x 54" drop
Thermal Blackout Curtain Linings to fit curtains 66" wide x 54" drop
Offered by Tony's Textiles Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, check what size you need though, 17 Jan 2013
We purchased 2 sets to cover a large window, but discovered that we only needed 1 as they can be almost straight when the curtains are closed - leaving the decorative curtain in front "wavy" as usual. They black out with a vengeance, what little light gets around the side means we need to turn a light on even during the day, and they definitely keep the room warmer also - we had to turn the thermostat on the radiator down. I think the fact we hung them straight rather than undulating with the regular curtains means you get another air gap, and the heat rising from the radiator does not go up between the curtain & the window any more as well.

The other set is doing sterling work at my parents house, with similar results. Recommended.

Hillforts: Prehistoric Strongholds of Northumberland National Park
Hillforts: Prehistoric Strongholds of Northumberland National Park
by Al Oswald

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Stuff, 9 Nov 2012
I've been into prehistory for a while, as a hobby, so purchased this book before a holiday in Northumberland with a view to some of the hillforts being on our walking itinerary; the book did help with this, but is more generalised than I expected. The most detail is about Yeavering Bell as might be expected, but a couple of others have maps etc. as well. What this book was however, was a great overview of current thinking about pre-history, the interpretation of the remains in Northumberland, and why so much has survived here. To get 5 stars it would need a lot more site info, and isn't a big book for the price, but highly recommended if you are interested in the subject area.

I Think We're Alone Now
I Think We're Alone Now

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cover Version, 8 Aug 2012
Girls Aloud have dove quite a few songs that other bands have had hits with - Eternal Flame, Girls on Film, Walk this Way etc. This 80s hit is a interesting choice; unusually I'm not sure the production team bring much new to it, other than sounding a bit more modern. It is well constructed, well sung and a fun, party/dance song, makes me wish they'd do a covers album.

Ready Steady Cook Bistro 18cm Stainless Steel Saucepan with Glass Lid, Silver and Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost the perfect pan, 6 Jan 2012
Not being a professional chef or a snob, I have never been keen on spending a fortune on cookware. I do appreciate quality however, and this pan beats many twice its price or more (I looked around a lot before I purchased this one).

This is my 2nd pan from the R.S.C. range, I rated the 1st 4 stars due to being smaller than I thought it should be, but loved the strainer lid (I'll never buy a pan without one again!), well designed spouts etc. These all apply except the smallness so this pan gets 5 stars; don't waste your money on more expensive ranges, these are excellent.

p.s. the reason this is almost the perfect pan is that the rubber bit of the handle is too small for my hands, the the outer part of the handle doesn't get hot so it doesn't really matter.... but does mean it's not perfect!

Bolo!
Bolo!
by DAVID WEBER
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars It could have been Keith Laumer, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Bolo! (Mass Market Paperback)
As far as I am aware, it is a modern phenomenon that authors "go play" in another's universe; if they were all as true to the original as this book however, things would be a lot better. Highly recommended.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
by Cory Doctorow

5.0 out of 5 stars A More Accessible Story, 2 Nov 2011
Recently discovered Cory Doctrow, really liked a couple but then find one a bit of a slog & not so good. This title was my next purchase made with some apprehension & I read it in 2 sittings - haven't done that for a while!

Cory is not cyberpunk, but is exploring possible Earth near futures with tech usually at the heart of the issues/changes/problems the characters face. This novel is quite old fashioned in that it's not a wordy tome, I was using it as light relief from the latest Peter Hamilton Trilogy.... Some modern readers may feel the background & character details are a bit sparse therefore, but it means the story shines, and some of the repercussions from the tech on human society/crime etc. Read, 'nuff said.

Kenwood HB711 Triblade Hand Blender
Kenwood HB711 Triblade Hand Blender

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piece of Kit, 30 Oct 2011
Not had a hand blender before but wanted for soup making etc. After a bit of research knew needed one with as powerful a motor as I could get in the price range I was looking at. This machine had good reviews, and I like to buy decent brands so I took the plunge; I have no regrets at all.

The first time I used it I jumped a bit when I switched it on, mashed a large pan of vegetables into soup in about 30 seconds. Easy to control & wash afterwards. Smaller head is also useful for smaller bowls, large cups &/or small quantities. Highly recomended.

Page: 1 | 2