Profile for M. Hamann > Reviews

Content by M. Hamann

M. Hamann "Markus" (Finland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Medieval Monasticism: Forms of Religious Life in Western Europe in the Middle Ages (The Medieval World)
by C. H. Lawrence

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good., 18 Oct 2013
This is a fairly thorough beginning medieval studies book. I assessed the book at (4) stars, only because the book read like a textbook. That is, it was easily forgettable. I can't put my finger on why I didn't really like it, as I find the subject of the book very interesting. Maybe the book tries to cover too much.

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man: The shocking story of how America really took over the world
by John Perkins

5.0 out of 5 stars no title..., 18 Oct 2013
I read this book pretty quickly. Although I am very far removed from the world of U.S. government project, the author's claims seem plausible. If you are a flag-waving patriot who accepts that what the U.S. does is good, because the U.S. does it, you will undoubtedly dislike this book. The author essentially points out the manner by which Americans (most unknowingly) maintain high standards of living: in part, by sabotaging other countries' infrastructure.

The A-z of Judo (Special interest)
The A-z of Judo (Special interest)
by Syd Hoare

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Judo book I own, 18 Oct 2013
I own maybe 7-8 books on Judo. This is easily my favorite. The holds and throws are nicely categorized, along with the source from which the move was taken. Also, the book explicitly states which moves are a part of the art of Judo, though banned in competition.

Technopoly (Vintage)
Technopoly (Vintage)
by Postman N

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Technopoly (Vintage) (Paperback)
The book started a bit slowly for me, but after the third or fourth chapter it became really engrossing. There are eleven chapters in all, the last of these contains a prescription for educational systems as well as individuals. The book reads more like a monologue than a traditional philosophy book. It is well-written but easily accessible to non-academics. The main thrust of the author's thesis is (as I understand it) technology is a moral question: just because something can be done does not imply we ought to do it. Furthermore, we have become indiscriminate in our acceptance of information, which complicates our lives. As I write this, more ideas come to me...I imagine I will re-read this book sometime. There is a lot of good information; this book is an important one for any and all.

Eyes of the Eagle
Eyes of the Eagle
by Gary Linderer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 10 July 2012
At first I was worried that the book would be a sort of list of chronological events in the early career of Linderer. I was pleasantly surprised that the format did not bother me at all. Linderer wrote rather well. He describes things from a very balanced perspective, compared with other authors in this genre: his is neither too "gung-ho" nor is he overly cynical about everything in Vietnam (people, culture). Actually, he is one of the few authors (again, in this genre) that actually seems like a nice guy. He writes about his girlfriend occasionally, and doesn't get drunk and/or visit a prostitute on every other page. The book instead describes intense combat, and does so well.

There isn't a lot that would improve this book...I am actually a bit disappointed that I have finished it!

Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat
Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat
by James R. McDonough

4.0 out of 5 stars An officer's account, 12 May 2012
I was interested in reading this book in part because of its high rating, but also because it was written by an officer. Most of the accounts I have read so far were written by NCOs and privates. McDonough wrote his memoirs quite well. He comes off as a very patriotic and duty-driven soldier who really does care about the fate of those under his command. My only disappointment with this book is that there were very few moral ambiguities: I don't recall him questioning the "rightness" of the American presence in Vietnam. To me, it's what has made some books very interesting: intelligent or simply observant men questioning their orders to kill other men. Such as it was, the book was worth reading.

Gone Native: An NCO's Story
Gone Native: An NCO's Story
by Alan Cornett

4.0 out of 5 stars Atypical book in the genre., 16 April 2012
The first 188 pages were similar to other Vietnam war accounts (not to minimalise the experience). The most interesting bit, as others have pointed out, begins rather late in the book. While there is quite a lot of getting drunk, visiting prostitutes, and smoking various organic material (which I did not find especially praiseworthy), there was also a strong appreciation for indigenous culture which was refreshing. Corbett is unapologetic in his love for the Vietnamese, in particular the Montagnards. The first part of the book was worth reading, but was much less interesting than the last 25% or so.

Arabic (Eastern): 1st Ed. (Pimsleur Language Program)
Arabic (Eastern): 1st Ed. (Pimsleur Language Program)
by Pimsleur
Edition: Audio Cassette

3.0 out of 5 stars The presenter's voice was very off-putting, 20 Mar 2012
I am very fond of Pimsleur courses. I begin any new language by listening to the Pimsleur course first. I have never been disappointed until now. The presenter's voice was light, young and female. It was difficult to mentally accept her as a "teacher". It may sound sexist, but well, there it is.

Note: mine is the 30-lesson "World Citizen" edition.

Time To Die: The Kursk Disaster
Time To Die: The Kursk Disaster
by Robert Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars A mediocre presentation of an unbelievable event, 19 Mar 2012
I doubt readers are unfamiliar with the events of the Kursk. I was interested in reading a book covering the details of those events. This book was written by a journalist who tried too hard to breathe excitement and drama into the story--the attempt seemed strained to me. The facts are essentially there; however, I really disliked Moore's writing style. I have only read this book about the Kursk, so I cannot recommend another book. While I will not re-read this book, I would only recommend it half-heartedly: if you are on a cruise and the ship has a library, go ahead and read it.

Principles and Applications of Electrical Engineering
Principles and Applications of Electrical Engineering
by Giorgio Rizzoni

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 17 Mar 2012
The book is an introduction to electrical engineering. From the first pages, I knew that it was exactly what I sought. There are what one would expect: text and diagrams, but somehow it seemed very approachable (despite being somewhat verbose).

The book has four parts: Circuits, Electronics, Communication Systems, and Electromechanics.

The book is challenging (for me) but thorough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6