Profile for ThatBoyLuke > Reviews

The Gallows Curse
The Gallows Curse
by Karen Maitland

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for Maitland., 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Gallows Curse (Paperback)
I've been reading Maitland since I came across "A company of liars" and she continuously sets the bar high. She really transports you back into the middle ages with all its brutality, superstitions and injustices and conjures up the sights and smells of the time so well.

I don't want to say too much about the plot because I hate learning too much before I read a book myself but it's fair to say that Maitland has proven herself again although I think I rate this a tiny bit less than "A company of liars" and "Owl killers" just because I didn't find it quite as sinister although most definitely creepy in parts, The magic in this is more blatant while in the past it was hinted at so that you were never sure if it was real or just in the heads of those involved.

I've said already how authentic the writer makes her books but you can really see she does a lot of research and it pays off. She uses a lot of Medieval language etc which is fantastic and the little pages or so at the start of each chapter of this book explaining about what medieval people believed regarding certain plants, animals etc being used for magic etc was interesting.

Overall This book is really good and hard to put down but I just hope her next book (Falcons of Ice and Fire) is a bit more sinister.

Scrivener's Moon (Mortal Engines)
Scrivener's Moon (Mortal Engines)
by Philip Reeve

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better., 4 May 2013
I've been reading Philip Reeve's Mortal engines books since high school (now 24) and since they were so amazing I've been reading the new prequel books too among the adult books I read. These prequels are good but there is just something missing for me... I just feel like the original books were more "adult" while parts of the new books are childish when they don't need to be.

That is the negative points for me which aren't that overwhelming just annoying. The positives are the characters, the chance to find out how the traction cities came to be traction cities and delving further back into the origins of the scriven etc

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles
by Madeline Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., 25 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Song of Achilles (Paperback)
Having always been interested in Greek myths and legends and the fact that this won the Orange prize for fiction I thought this book would be a good read for me and I was right.

I wasn't too familiar with the story of Achilles so it was sort of new to me but so engrossing, I started reading this after a good book but one that didn't grip me as much as I would have liked but this book I couldn't put down and read it voraciously.

Like a good book should you invest in the characters and want the best from them, Knowing what's going to happen to Achilles in the end is so bad because the whole way through I was just willing the outcome to be different but it wasn't. The writing is very good, The last couple of chapters are so moving that I almost wanted to cry, If they make this into a film I really hope it does the book and characters justice and I look forward to the author's next book.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not Harry Potter, Be Aware and accept it., 21 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Hardcover)
Like the millions of other people who were captivated by the books, films and world of Harry Potter when the announcement came that JK Rowling was finally set to release a new non Potter book I was over the moon and thought it was going to be the greatest thing ever.

I bought this the first day it came out and began reading it right away and found out something you should all know from the start, This is not a Harry Potter book... In fact it could hardly be any different. If Harry Potter novels are the blockbuster movies of literature "The casual vacancy" is a gritty soap opera. That's not a bad thing but you need to know that there's barely any "action" so that may make your attention wane from time to time like mine did but that shouldn't be held against the book since the author has been pretty vocal about it being what it is so if you think otherwise more fool you.

My comparison to a soap is not negative, It's just that the book concentrates on the everyday life of the characters like a soap does. You really get to know the characters and Rowling's writing style is as fantastic and readable as ever. The book is a harsh commentary on how people from different classes view each other and live there lives in modern Britain and I have to say that I think it's pretty accurate. The sad thing is that personally I know and have known people like the most depressing character's in this book and it's sad that anybody would end up like that.

This book is good, just not great but for Rowling's first attempt at adult fiction it's a win and I imagine she'll only continue getting better.

Your Body
Your Body

5.0 out of 5 stars pop from the best., 4 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Your Body (MP3 Download)
Great song, Pop and radio friendly but Christina's amazing vocals set her apart from the other "singers" who are all over the radio singing mainstream pop music these days. This song really deserves to be a hit, and the remixes are great too! Really looking forward to the album "Lotus" and already have it pre-ordered :D

Desperately Seeking Susan [DVD] [1985]
Desperately Seeking Susan [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Rosanna Arquette
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars So 80s, so fun., 5 Oct. 2012
Decided to watch this last night, Bought it on DVD ages ago and watched it once. Such a great film, fast paced, funny, and Madonna is SO cool lol It's no wonder every girl wanted to be her in the 80s she just has that IDGAF attitude and own style which was amazing. There's something about 80s/90s films that we just don't get anymore (I'm 23 btw) lol Anyway, seriously good film :) well worth it.

P.S had "Get into the groove" stuck in my head all day haha
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 7:39 PM GMT

The Red Queen (Cousins' War Series 2)
The Red Queen (Cousins' War Series 2)
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 29 Sept. 2012
Having been an avid reader of Philippa Gregory's Tudor series I really was looking forward to the cousins war series as the Plantagenet's are often overlooked when it comes to this sort of fiction.
"The White Queen" was a good read and so is "The Red Queen", I couldn't put it down which in itself is a merit but I have to admit there is something lacking that was there in the Tudor series, something...
Like I said though this is a good read and the only two problems I had were the way the author was constantly reminding us about Margaret's believe in how Holy she was, I know that she was trying to show that even people who believe themselves to be holy suffer vanity but the constant talk of how God loves her and how she has the special favour of God did get wearing for me after a while and the other is the ending, I won't put any spoilers but I just felt it ended at a premature point in Margaret's life, I would have liked it to go a bit further.
I read the excerpt from the next book in the series "Lady of Rivers" and it appears to be just as good if not better than this book (hard to judge from an excerpt though)and I'll definitely be buying it.

Born to Die
Born to Die

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Sad, Seductive, Beautiful., 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Born to Die (Audio CD)
When "Video Games" dropped I was reluctant to buy into the whole Lana hype especially since what I'd seen of her live performances wasn't exactly amazing but when "Born to die" was released as a single I was hooked, Lana may not be the best performer but she is a very good song writer and her theme is pretty cool, she does the whole old LA noir thing very well and this album is a gem.
The music is dark, seductive and beautiful and melancholy in places, Lana sounds great. I find these songs pretty relate-able, I guess anybody who ever loved and lost would...
I can't tell you my favourite track because I just end up listing the whole album lol, Give the album a try it's great and I hope Lana stays in the industry and stays making great music like this for a long time.

Good Omens
Good Omens
by Neil Gaiman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good omens but not great omens., 19 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
I won this book in a world book day competition and being a big Terry Pratchet fan I was eager to get stuck in. Overall the story is good, a mixture of science fiction, comedy, drama and great characters but for me I was able to tell that this was a joint effort and not in a good way, After a while the books started to drag and I stopped reading it for about a month (unheard of for me) but when I did pick it back up I enjoyed it again until I finished it.
Maybe I'm rating this unfairly and the drag was just down to something to do with me, I don't know but I can only go from my personal experience reading this book, If I could I'd give it 3.5 stars but I'm rounding down because I don't think it deserved 4 stars.
Give it a read though because there's plenty of good things about this book and you might enjoy it more than I did (and I did enjoy most of it).

Love Songs [+Bonus Dvd]
Love Songs [+Bonus Dvd]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album., 30 May 2012
This review is from: Love Songs [+Bonus Dvd] (Audio CD)
Ayumi Hamasaki is the undisputed Empress of J Pop and "Love songs" is her 12th full length studio album. I've been a fan of Ayu for a good few years since she released her "Next Level" album and since then Ayu's sales may have started to slip but that in my opinion is more to do with her label making her release an album (or two) a year which takes away the anticipation and also Avex has started skimping on the video budgets when only a few years ago Ayu was known for her elaborate and expensive video's lately they have been pretty ordinary looking. I'm bot saying they're bad at all but not up to Ayu's usual standard the album however is very good.
It's a lot more cohesive sounding than her past two albums "Next Level" and "Rock n Roll Circus" and it's a pleasure to listen to.
The album contains some great rock songs, ballads and even a dance(ish) song "Last Angel" which Ayu pulls off effortlessly.
Her sales may be slipping but her tours still sell out like crazy and her music is still high quality and her voice of course is one of the most unique in J-Pop.
I advise anyone interested in Ayu or J-Pop to buy this album and bow down to the Empress.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4