Profile for SJJones > Reviews

The Silver Linings Playbook
The Silver Linings Playbook
Price: 2.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch the movie, 23 Feb 2014
I saw the film and wanted to read the book it was based on. The book is okay, it's an easy read and quite compelling, but does have problems.

The two main issues are the fact that the female love interest (Tiffany) is very unpleasant. She has no redeeming features and it's difficult to see what Pat (the protagonist) could see in her. Rather than rooting for them as a couple, I ended up hoping he'd escape her clutches.

The second issue is that Pat comes across as being brain-damaged. Pat's 'voice' is meant to remind us that he's overcoming mental problems, but he sounds severely retarded. He keeps referring to a scar on his head, and for much of the book I was wondering if he'd been lobotomised.

(As other reviewers have pointed out, the constant 'Eagles' chants are irritating, but hey...)

Neither of these issues affect the movie. Tiff is engaging and sympathetic, and Pat is manic rather than being some autistic man-child. I'd recommend the movie anyone.

VonShef Quad Non-Stick Belgian Waffle Maker in Stainless Steel
VonShef Quad Non-Stick Belgian Waffle Maker in Stainless Steel
Offered by Designer Habitat
Price: 59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great waffles (with practise), 23 Feb 2014
I'd always wanted a waffle iron and this one was a good price.

The first time I used it, the lid blew off. Which was a surprise. It didn't break, but the top flew back with a lot of force. The problem was that the lid latch had pressed all the way down and steam from the cooking batter couldn't escape.

To explain: the latch on the lid has two notches on it. The first clamps the lid down lightly; the second locks it tight. The instructions tell you to put the lid down without applying pressure (so engaging only the first notch), but the lid is so heavy it comes all the way down if you use a thin batter mixture. This is what happened when I first used it (using the 'basic' batter recipe in the instructions booklet). To get round this, lower the lid slowly until it meets the batter mixture, and hold it there while it sizzles for 20 seconds or so. By then the mixture should have firmed-up enough to support the weight of the lid, and you can let go.

The above didn't appear to be an issue when I tried the Buttermilk recipe in the booklet as this batter is thicker.

The Buttermilk recipe produced great waffles, although the mixture did pour out of the sides the first time I tried it (this recipe uses yeast, making for a more volatile batter mixture). However, the results were incredible - the waffles were really light and delicious and tasted just as good when they were cold.

I used cultured buttermilk in the recipe (the only type I could find). It produces an unusual smell, but tastes superb. In the future I'll experiment with using semi-skimmed milk and using two eggs instead of three.

Note that when a recipe says it makes four servings, this means it will fill the waffle iron four times, so producing 16 individual waffles.

The Complete Uncle
The Complete Uncle
by J. P. Martin
Price: 26.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Complete Uncle (Hardcover)
These book have been very difficult to source. The original hardbacks are collectors items and only the first two books in the series (Uncle and Uncle Cleans Up) have ever been reprinted as softbacks. I loved these books as a child and my own children are now enjoying them too.

The Office - An American Workplace - Season 7 [DVD]
The Office - An American Workplace - Season 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Carell
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great show, 23 Feb 2014
I was dubious about the US Office when I first saw it, but it's now become a firm favourite. I saw the first five series on LoveFilm, and bought series 6 and 7 as DVDs (I'll get 8 and 9 when the price comes down).

The comedy of the US series a lot broader than the UK version. But I find it much more fun.

The Office - An American Workplace - Season 6 [DVD]

Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale
Offered by Harts Of Stur
Price: 11.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 30 Dec 2013
Decent set of scales. I've had it a while now and the batteries seem to last for ever. As well as cooking it's also handy to weigh post.

Great Britain Counties & Unitary Authorities Map (A-Z Road Maps & Atlases)
Great Britain Counties & Unitary Authorities Map (A-Z Road Maps & Atlases)
by Geographers A-Z Map Company
Edition: Map
Price: 4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Good map, 30 Dec 2013
I needed this for work.

You can get this information on-line, but I wanted a handy desk reference and this fits the bill very well. The map includes an index of towns and villages.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the job, 30 Dec 2013
Seemed to clear up our minor infestation very well. It took only half can to work through a four bedroom house.

If On A Winter's Night (Gatefold Cover)
If On A Winter's Night (Gatefold Cover)
Price: 11.30

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, 30 Dec 2013
The recipient asked for this specifically, but hated it. I'm not sure why.

I've not listened to it myself so can't offer a personal view.

Moleskine Pocket - Ruled Notebook
Moleskine Pocket - Ruled Notebook
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Moleskine fan, 30 Dec 2013
I love these notebooks, but they're very expensive in the stores, hence this online purchase.

Aside from the size and shape (perfect for an inside pocket) the best thing about them is the fact that you can lay them flat with one hand. Most similar notebooks have a very tight spine that always threatens to snap if you bend the pages back too far, and you have to do this two-handed if you want to write anything.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17