Profile for slick > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Demonata (3) - Slawter
The Demonata (3) - Slawter

4.0 out of 5 stars nomuch better, 1 Dec 2006
I already feel that darren shan's vampire books are far better than the domenta series. I feel that the domenta series is very unrelistic, fake and a bit corney. But this book is much better than the first 2 I think Darren shan is finally starting to work his imagination and come up with a interesting plot and charecters. This book goes back to the story of Grubbs Grady and his life with Dervish. I think in this book Darren developed the relationships between his charecters much better and so I was able to get in to the story. Also the plot was alot better it had plenty of action and suspence to keep me interested.

I just hope that Darren can keep up this standard of writing for the rest of the Domenta series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2010 3:03 PM GMT

The Demonata (4) - Bec
The Demonata (4) - Bec

2.0 out of 5 stars good read, 11 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
I don't think this book was as good as the last one but it was definatly a good follow up. It had a interesting and intricate plot with plenty of action and violence, there where also some very good charecters that where well developed. Personally my favourite character was Bran, even through he says only about 5 words in the entier book his personality and action's did the rest for him and I found him very likable. However I don't see how this book ties in with the other three book, you learn a little more about Lord Loss and that is it. It doesn't really contribute to the Domentor series as such this is more of a sub story just providing the reader with background information.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2010 11:11 AM GMT

The Vampire Armand: The Vampire Chronicles: Volume 6
The Vampire Armand: The Vampire Chronicles: Volume 6
by Anne Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 1 Oct 2006
This book was brilliant from beginning to end and has everthing I have come to expect from Anne Rice. Her discriptions of venice where incredible, I could actually see the winding streets of Venice and the famouse canals that run through the city. I could picture the Plazzo with its beautifully decorated rooms of red and gold.

In this book I also found out so much about the relationship between Marius and Armand the romantic scenes between them where really powerful. From this book I found out the Armand saw Marius more as a lover than a master.

This book was fantastic it had romance, action and drama and I would recommond it to anyone.

The Lake of Souls (Saga of Darren Shan)
The Lake of Souls (Saga of Darren Shan)

5.0 out of 5 stars very different, 5 Sep 2006
This book was very different from the other Darren Shan books I have read, but I think that it had something to do with the fact that this book was set in another relm. In this book I found alot more about Mr Tiny that I never knew before and it surprised me just how powerful he acturly is.

The great thing about this book was the place that it was set and the discription of the relm that darren was put in. Most aurthors when writting about different relmes tend to go OTT with there discriptions and make it seem really unrelistic. But Darren Shan got it just right and made the relm both scary and relistic at the same time. Finally the twist at the end really was surprising, completely unexpected and finished the book perfectly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2013 12:15 PM BST

Cirque Du Freak (The Saga of Darren Shan Book 1)
Cirque Du Freak (The Saga of Darren Shan Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars simply brilliant, 5 Sep 2006
At first I didn't think this book was going to be any good I don't normally read fantasy books about vampires and other made up creatures but this book had me hooked from the first chapter. It had everything a good read should have humore, emotion and action. I have read thousands of books and would rate the darren shan series in my top 3 of the best ever books that I have read.

This book was also surprisingly deep and had plenty of very emotional bits that acturly made me cry which I found very surprising in a book about vampires

The Demonata (2) - Demon Thief
The Demonata (2) - Demon Thief

4.0 out of 5 stars much better than the first, 4 Sep 2006
I thought the first book in the domenta saga was a let down and not what I have come to espect from darren shan. However after reading the seconde book I am glad to say that darren is back on form. This book was much better than the first it was still very fake, but making a book about demonds seem relistic is hardly easy. This book had a lot more action in it than the first and had alot of interesting charecters all with very distinct personalities and powers.

Also I found Kernal very likable even if he was a bit naive, this book was also set mainly in the domenta universe so it was full of twists and surprises and I found out alot more about demonds that I didn't know before. Finally this book was alot more scary even Lord Loss in this book seemed more frightening I think it had something with him being in his own universe, he just seemed much more powerful.

To sum up, this book was much better than the first it was scaryer, action packed, full of interesting charecters and had a good plot. I just can't wait to find out what happens to Kernal.

The Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy)
The Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy)
by Terry Deary

4.0 out of 5 stars spin on myth, 4 Sep 2006
A great read it had me giggling from beginning to end. I love the charecters especially Zuse and his wife there conversations made me laugh out loud, the way the writer put modern speech in to an anchient greek gods mouth made this book fantastic.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars mystery, 4 Sep 2006
One of the best books I have ever read, action packed and full of brilliant twists. I especially liked the charecter silas at the beginning of the book you think he is just evil and greedy. But the further you read the more you learn about him and his tradgic past and you begin to really feel for him and realise he is in fact a very deep and loving man with a terrible history.

Another great thing about this book apart from the amazing charecters is the plot it justs keeps you second guessing, it is just full of history and a really complicated twist which is totally unexpected.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter 6)[Children's Edition]
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter 6)[Children's Edition]
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars not that good, 4 Sep 2006
I have read all the other books in the Harry Potter series and I was really looking forward to reading this one. But I have to say it was rather dissopointing and it hardly blew me away. I'm not saying that J.k Rowlling is a bad author because she is a good author but after reading hundreds of other fantasy and horror books I can't really say this is one of my favourites. It started very slow and it took at least 300 pages to get to any action at all and even then the action was very subtile and tacky. The hole book is basically Harry arguing with Snape talking to Dumbledor and a littly action at the end.

If your looking for a scary fantasy I surrgest you read the vampire chronicals by Anne Rice or the Darren Shan saga. Both of which I think are better than this book. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince would hardly scare a 10 year old.

The Queen Of The Damned: Number 3 in series (Vampire Chronicles)
The Queen Of The Damned: Number 3 in series (Vampire Chronicles)
by Anne Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars simple brilliant, 4 Sep 2006
This is a brilliant addition to a already awsome series of books. I always new Lestat would go in style. His not exactly the type to slink of in to the background and have a quiet life or death as it may be, but I never expected anything like this. The decriptions and charecters in this book where nothing short of incredible, While reading the book I could actually hear the music and see the places in my minds eye. In her desriptions of hell I could almost see the soles of the dead wondering around hell.

This book also told me alot about Lestat that I never new befor in prvious books Lestat may have been in pain but in this book he is in pure agony and you really see another side of him.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2010 9:21 AM BST