Profile for Quality Reads UK Book Club > Reviews

Content by Quality Reads ...

Quality Reads UK Book Club "Quality Reads UK" (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Trapped
Trapped

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Club Pick - Excellent Writing, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Trapped (Kindle Edition)
Cover - It does fit the story. The woman's face seems distorted or as though she is buried under a sheet of glass which is exactly what Jackee is going through. Her life seems to be covered under layers of mystery and lies and some are not at all transparent.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - In many parts this story was a little like What Lies Beneath. The answers are obvious but yet buried under bricks of emotions and ignorance. One thing my book club members and I enjoyed was the writing style of the author. It's been a long while since we've come across a self-published book that is spotless. No errors, no time line flaws and definitely no grammar mistakes.

What I liked - There were so many bits of this book I loved but if I had to pick one, it would be the descriptions of Jackee. She is trapped in her own body and the author's writing style is so strong that you are able to feel what she is feeling.

Rating - 5 / 5 stars.

Sex Club Secrets (Gods of Love Book 3)
Sex Club Secrets (Gods of Love Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - Sizzle, Sizzle, 24 Feb. 2013
Cover - Completely suits the story and I loved the use of red.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - When I first saw 'sex god' I expected a modern day hunk which is described as a sex god. What you get in the book is a real sex god and I salute the author for exploring this angle of the story. My book club members and I found this to be a fresh angle and her writing style kept us turning the pages.

What I liked - There was a sense of cheekiness amongst the characters which I absolutely adored because it kept the readers guessing. Her erotic descriptions are sensual. Passionate but gentle at the same time.

Rating - 4 / 5 stars.

Disclosure - I received a complimentary copy from the author which did not affect my honest opinion.

Frizzy, Dizzy and the Brute
Frizzy, Dizzy and the Brute

3.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - Good Idea, Bad Presentation, 10 Feb. 2013
Cover - It seemed a bit blurry but it does relate to the story.

Formatting / Appearance - There were tons of issues. The book club members and I were looking forward to sharing this story with our children and grandchildren but the drawings were sketchy, the paragraphs were inconsistent and worst of all, punctuation marks were misplaced.

Content - As far as I am concerned, it has always been ." but this author used ". throughout the book. Close inverted commas were used wrongly. Had this book been edited or even proofread, all of this would have been spotted. I think.

What I liked - The message that this book presented. Unfortunately, it was lost in a series of errors.

What I didn't like - Editing and formatting errors. We definitely would not recommend this book.

Rating - 3 / 5 stars.

Wicked Whispering: Book III in the Wicked Series
Wicked Whispering: Book III in the Wicked Series

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - And then there was more ..., 2 Feb. 2013
Cover - Sensual which is what the Wicked series is all about. The little open locket is such a nice touch.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - The Wicked Series is a fantastic blend of passion, relationships, drama and of course, strong individuals who keep the story going. The author has created lasting characters that I am sure can carry into many more books.

What I liked - The whole concept of whale whispering was unique and made the story even more interesting.

What I didn't like - Cassie's character seems under-developed. She has her history and her moments but nothing as passionate as Cherie. Perhaps, there's more in the next book?

A Wicked Beginning: Book II in the Wicked Series
A Wicked Beginning: Book II in the Wicked Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - It Keeps Getting Better, 1 Feb. 2013
Cover - Of all the three books, this cover is my favourite. It sheds a whole new meaning on Cam and Cherie's relationship.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - As with the first book, the author's writing style is smooth and takes you from page to another with a twirl of excitement and adventure. There is more meaning, sense and understanding about their relationship in this book than in the first although the ending makes you wonder if Book 3 will bring even more excitement for this couple ...

What I liked - Cherie doesn't seem so lost anymore. It's as if her 'aura' has changed and it is now Cam who needs her more than she needs him. I loved the whole 'battle of the sexes' currents that were running deep in this book.

The Fishers of Paradise
The Fishers of Paradise

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - Loved the Twists, 29 Jan. 2013
Cover - It's symbolic and carries meaning to the story as a whole. Loved it.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - The book club members and I were more than happy with the author's writing. The character development however was a little odd. At some points, you were able to completely connect with each character. Other times, and this was less frequent, you just couldn't get into the mood of things.

What I liked - The scandal, lies and deceit that makes for any good read. The author twists and turns the story as she sheds light on this almost strange family. But are they really strange or is there a secret they need to keep? Makes for a good bedtime read or when relaxing in the evening.

A Wicked Awakening: Book I in the Wicked Series
A Wicked Awakening: Book I in the Wicked Series

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - A Well-Written Adventure, 27 Jan. 2013
Cover - Sensual and mysterious, which is much like the story. Not too excited about the snake on the cover but that is personal preference and nothing at all to do with the story.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - The writing style is very descriptive and in more ways than one, it worked for this story. You become absorbed with each character and situation to the point you feel as if you're sitting next to them.

What I liked - This book had a simple storyline which the author took and weaved into a unique and adventurous story. You sympathise with what Cherie is going through and yet you know there's something bigger and better that's coming her way. Really looking forward to finishing the other books in the series.

Rating - 4 / 5 stars.

Gastien: The Cost of the Dream: A Caddy Rowland Historical Family Saga/Drama (The Gastien Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - Emotional & Good, 27 Jan. 2013
Cover - Absolutely fits the story and the artistic feel one gets from Gastien is definitely carried on to the cover.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - I really liked this story this young man who sets out to find more in life. He faces all kinds of challenges and the reader is left wondering if and when he will give up.

What I liked - This book was an emotional read because it didn't explore just one theme or romance. Readers were able to feel sad, challenged and loved just as the characters were. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series. The author's writing is smooth and has a poetic feel to it.

Rating - 4 / 5 stars.

Sound of a Voice That is Still (Oberon Book 3)
Sound of a Voice That is Still (Oberon Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - Strong Characters, 26 Jan. 2013
Cover - I'm assuming it is some kind of a crystal ball or a fluid motion. Not sure about this.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - I loved it that this book although part of a series can still stand by itself. There are several characters which are central in this book and they have been given strong personalities which makes a big difference to the smooth flow of the story.

What I liked - I would have liked a better / longer description of the book. We have discussed this at length at the book club. Many newer authors seem to think it necessary to skip providing a description for their books. If I came across your book and found no / minimal description, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Dead Perfect
Dead Perfect

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Pick - Romance with a twist, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dead Perfect (Kindle Edition)
Cover - The element of the tombstone plays multiple roles in this story so the cover fits the story.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - Just when you think that every love story has been told, you come across another unique twist which is definitely worth your time. Younger readers will also enjoy the book more.

What I liked - There was something refreshing about the story. While the plot and romantic elements appeared similar to most stories, the twists to Mel & Davis' relationship offer much thrill and entertainment to the story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12