Profile for C. Lister > Reviews

Content by C. Lister

C. Lister (United Kingdom)

EX-06 Wireless Foldable Headset (PS3/Mac/PC DVD)
EX-06 Wireless Foldable Headset (PS3/Mac/PC DVD)
Offered by The Game Collection
Price: 72.30

2.0 out of 5 stars EX-06 Wireless Headset, 26 Dec 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this to replace a headset that broke after many years of service. I wanted a headset that I could use on both my PC and PS4. However, this didn't meet my expectations and as left me 30+ lighter off. I should say that I bought this from ASDA and not Amazon.

[-HEADSET-] - 4/5

The headset itself is well built and sturdy. The ear cups are comfortable to wear on your ears and they block out all outside noises. Which is good when you're trying to concentrate on gaming. However, if you have a bigger head than usual you might find these a little too uncomfortable to wear or they mightn't fit at all. On both ear cups you have three buttons. One is for Game Headset which has a red button and Volume Up/Down setting. The other ear cup is a chat button to mute and unmute your headset with a volume up/down setting. The clarity of your audio is very good and if you're solely using it for this function, then I would recommend this headset.

[-MICROPHONE-] - 1/5

You can attach your microphone to the left or right ear cup. Which is solely down to preference as it doesn't make a difference, which you use. However, it doesn't have much flexibility which means it is quite far from your mouth area which means you're coming across quiet in chats and live streams. It does have some flexibility, but not enough for it to matter. The only way around this is to tape it to your face. Which, I do admit works. Yes, I tried it. However, it isn't a practical choice if you have a beard or can't be bothered taping something to your face. Let's face it you shouldn't have to do this to get a decent voice audio. You can of course turn the volume up on your headset so your voice gets louder, but if you turn it up to a point where people can clearly hear you speak you're left hearing a buzzing noise. That frankly gets annoying and ruins a live streams or chatting with your friends.

At first I thought the buzzing was due to me charging it and using it. But tried without charging it and the annoying buzzing is still there so due to this fact alone this makes this headset totally unusable as a chatting headset for Xbox Live, PSN, Live Streaming on Twitch, and Skype. How the R&D department Gioteck could come up with a practically non-flexible microphone boggles the mind.

[-CONNECTING TO OTHER DEVICES-] - 2/5

I can use this on both my PC and PS4 and the game audio comes through very clearly. It doesn't work on my Xbox One. But I knew thought before buying this headset. Again, this is fine if you're looking for a headset that is for game audio only. But if you're looking for a headset to chat with your friends or chat within a game lobby, then you're stuck. Unlike the PC problems of inflexible microphone this one turns your wireless headset into a wired one. You see the microphone won't work without cables (which are provided) now if you're close to your TV and console this isn't a problem, but if you're on the other side of the room and your TV and PS4 were on the other it becomes an absolute nightmare. Also, the same problems are prevalent on console that are on the PC.

[-IN CONCLUSION-]

I can only give Gioteck EX-06 Wireless Foldable Headset 2 stars. If you're looking for a headset for game audio only and don't care about chatting to others, then this is very good for that. However, if you're using it for multiple functions, then I say avoid this and go for something better. I paid 31 at ASDA and I feel letdown by this product. On Amazon it's 63.99 (priced on 26/12/13), which is a total rip off for this product.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 3:09 PM GMT

FREEVIEW HD DIGITAL TV AERIAL - HIGH GAIN - PORTABLE INDOOR DVB-T TELEVISION
FREEVIEW HD DIGITAL TV AERIAL - HIGH GAIN - PORTABLE INDOOR DVB-T TELEVISION
Offered by Akord Technologies Ltd
Price: 19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Flimsy, 9 Nov 2013
Bought this as the aerial on the roof of my house isn't great. Having had Sky it was never a problem getting Freeview channels. But recently I left Sky for BT and you don't get Freeview without an aerial. So, I bought two of these one for the bedroom and one of the living room. They didn't pick up many channels, which is alright as most channels on Freeview are rubbish, but the main problem is this aerial for me didn't pick up BBC One or BBC Two. The channels it does pick up all have a medium to strong signal. But it's a little strange and disappointing that BBC One and Two cannot be picked up nor manually tuned in. This is one reason I rate this product, so low.

The physical product itself is flimsy and could break easily. But I suppose you can't expect much from a product that cost 5.99. Although the product picture is a little misleading as it looks like the white parts of the aerial are plastic which is not the case. You remove the backing and stick then to a surface. It also comes with a magnetic sucker which comes in handy if you don't wish to stick it down.

Seller was great with a fast dispatch and well packaged. I don't have any problems with the seller. But I do feel I'm probably going to need to spend more money on getting a better quality of aerial which I should have done in the first place. I miss the days of plugging in an aerial and you're ready to go. These days Freeview requires so much effort for so little in return.

Samsung UE40F6320 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart 3D LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Freeview (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars The 40inch Review, 2 Nov 2013
I've been a fan of Samsung for many years and when looking for a new television I decided to give Samsung my money and buy this set. There aren't many review's on Amazon and, so I looked else where and most of the reviews were positive and I selected this set.

[-ASSEMBLING THE STAND-] - 3/5

This should have been an easy job. Put screws in holes and screw them in and you're done. Well unfortunately for me it wasn't that simple. The screws wouldn't go all the way in. I tried my hardest to get them to go all the way in. But I couldn't. I believe they provided the wrong screws if I'm honest, and to add to this, they only provided seven screws when the product needed eight. Luckily I had some screws the same size and was able to screw each screw about 50% of the way in. Which, was very disappointing, and does leave me, with worries how safe this set actually it is. However, it's been nearly a week and it's still standing, so I'm guessing its safe. The instructions that come with this product aren't very clear either, so if you're struggling then you're in for a hard time. So, this side of the product I can only give it three out of five stars.

[-SETTING UP THE TV-] - 4/5

This is relatively simple to do. If you do struggle, then there is a comprehensive e-manual to help with any troubles you're having. However, be aware that the factory settings picture isn't great and you will need to tweak the settings to get the most out of your television picture. When done though it looks beautiful. The picture modes are Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie. There is also a Game Mode in the settings >> General menu area. I haven't used it yet as I've recently sold all my games and consoles in preparation for Xbox One and PS4 so I can't tell you if it's any good.

(Picture) - 5/5

I'm using BlueRigger High speed HDMI Cable 2 Meters (2M) - Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Version] cables and I would highly recommend them to anyone. Watching a DVD or Blu-Ray gives you an amazing picture to the point you think you're actually in the room with the actors. I've never seen my DVDs look so good. Even DVD of shows from the 70s or 80s look like they were filmed yesterday. Blu-Rays as you expect are even better. Can't comment on Freeview as I can't use it with my aerial unfortunately, but this has nothing to do with the TV.

(Gaming) - 5/5

Got my new Next-Gen console today with Call Of Duty Ghosts and I can report this TV is awesome. You don't have to do anything with the settings as there is no ghosting whatsoever with this TVs picture. It is crisp and delightful on the eyes. Scrolling through the menus are fast and fluid with again no ghosting. While playing COD there was tons of stuff going on-screen and the screen seemed to cope with it fine without changing anything. The TV does have a game mode so if you do experience any ghosting there is the option and to counter the bland look of game mode you can go to the menu scroll down to picture options and color tone and change it to either Warm One or Two. I would recommend Warm 1. But like I said you won't need to do this. I've now also played Dead Rising 3 and Forza Motorsports 5 the former has a lot going on-screen and I still don't have any issues while the latter is a fast-paced racing game and still no issues. So, I think it's safe to say this TV can handle intense gaming without any tweaks to the TV Settings.

(Sound) - 4/5

TV and Blu-Rays the sound is amazing and well-balanced and unlike the picture don't need any fiddling around with to get a good sound. However, I've found with DVDs the sound is a bit low. I don't know why this is I've fiddled around with the settings on my player and TV, but nothing seems to fix this issue. I doubt it's the TV as the watching TV and watching Blu-Rays all seem fine it's just DVDs.

(3D) - 4/5

This is the hardest thing to set up as there isn't any real guide to follow on how to get the best out of 3D. At first I was incredibly disappointed with this as it didn't seem to work for me. I mistakenly took my glasses off and only wore the 3D specs, which are provided you get two pairs of 3D Glasses. However, after trying them while wearing my glasses it worked like a charm and its pretty impressive. It's easy to pair the specs to your TV, but do need a battery, which are also provided with the specs. Also, glasses are very comfortable to wear even over your ordinary glasses. I only give it four stars as there's no real guide to get the best settings for 3D it's all trial by error until you get something that suits. Here are my TV settings. You may like them or you may not, you may want to figure out your own personal settings after all everyone's personal taste is different, but some may find them helpful:

Picture Mode: Natural
Perspective: +5
Depth: 5
L/R Change: L/R Image

[-APP-] - 2/5

The TV comes pre-installed with ITV Player, BBC Iplayer, 4 on Demand, Demand 5, Netflix, LoveFilm, and many more. The on demand stuff is great, but a little redundant if you have other devices that have these same features. Also, requires you to have a great internet connection so you don't get buffering. Luckily I do have a great connection and the pictures are great. I used an Ethernet cable to connect my TV to the net and I don't use the Wi-Fi so I can't tell you how good it is via wireless connection. However, I think the choices of apps are really limited and if I'm honest this is the most disappointing aspect of the television. Okay everyone will have their own opinion on this, but for my needs I was a little disappointed by this. There is a couple of decent apps that are free to download, but the majority is rubbish. I would have loved a NowTV app. Also, access to an American Sports App that lets you subscribe to all the major sports in the states. There is ESPN player, but it only carries MLB and CFB. It would have been nice for a NFL, NBA, and NHL apps. So, for me I can only give the apps section two out of five.

[-IN CONCLUSION-]

I give Samsung UE40F6320 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart 3D LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Freeview four out of five stars. I can't give it full marks (even though I want to) because of a couple of issues that I've mentioned in this review. But if you're looking for a quality and cost-effective product, which gives you 3D and Smart Features, then I would HIGHLY recommend this set to you. I absolutely love it.
Comment Comments (32) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 1:31 PM BST

SONY BDP-S3100 Multizone All Region Wi-Fi DVD Blu ray Player - 1 USB, 1 HDMI, 1 COAX, 1 ETHERNET + 6 Feet HDMI Cable Included. Compact Size (W x D x H) 290 x 193 x 42 mm. 100~240V 50/60Hz Int'l Version with EU/UK Power Plug (2m HDMi Cable Included)

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T UPDATE FIRMWARE!!!, 15 Oct 2013
Bought this Blu-Ray player as it played All Zone and All Region Blu-Ray/DVDs as I import a lot of box sets from other countries. This at the time cost me 225. Which, I felt was a little expensive, but I thought I might as well splash out. Although the seller was MULTISYSTEM WORLD the order is fulfilled by Amazon and, so I got it pretty quickly being an Amazon Prime Member.

I took everything out of the box, and everything was present and correct. However, noticed the Travel Adapter provided with this set felt a bit loose when you put in the American plug into it. It isn't so wobbly that you lose power, but then I was a little concerned over it being a fire hazard. But five Days in there has been no fires.

Setup was straightforward and had no problems. Product worked as advertise you can switch among zones with one, two, and three buttons on the remote provided. Also, the DVD is region free. So no problems there. However, even though all the online features worked. The firmware update feature didn't. Little confused by this. I tried using Wi-Fi and, then went back to Ethernet cable and put my information manually and nothing worked. So, after a lot of head scratching later I decided to contact MULTISYSTEM WORLD and I emailed them and asked them for help. Very surprised they contacted me very quickly telling me to download a zip file they sent me and put it on a CD-R disc. I followed their advice and copied the firmware patch and put it into the player it read the disc and updated my machine to the latest firmware. Great! Well...no not great. Now the machine won't play DVDs of any region and the machine will only play Region B Blu-Rays. Why didn't they tell me this would happen if I updated the firmware? I only updated the firmware because some Blu-Rays wouldn't work on the machine in the first place! They should have put that on the instructions *Warning* Firmware updates will reset modifications. *Warning*

So, if you decide to buy this machine, then don't update the firmware as you will end up with an overpriced Blu-Ray player, which only cost 79.99 on Sony's website. However, the one on their site is more than likely unmodified.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 2:48 PM BST

Zyon PC Desk w/ Keyboard Shelf - Pine effect w/ Wheels (PC, Monitor not included)
Offered by Dealstation
Price: 99.99

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, I suppose!, 20 July 2013
Where to begin. Okay, was looking for a new desk to replace my old desk something on the small side that would free up some much-needed space in my living room. Came across this product and read a lot of positive reviews about this product and the price was fantastic. So with the positive reviews and price I bought it. As a Amazon Prime member delivery was extremely fast as you expect and although it was well packaged the box was very damaged. It actually had a hole in the box. But luckily or so I thought the product was fine.

Took everything out of the box, and everything was present and correct and started to build it. This is when I ran into trouble. It does look easy to set up, which is blessing as I hate putting things together. But the problem was some of the holes didn't match up. It wasn't just one or two, but quite a few. Which made the product incredibly difficult to put together. The designers of this table Zyon didn't even bother to take the time and make sure it was up to spec before selling this item on Amazon. Tells you something about, them and their products. 2 hours pass and I was struggling to put it together and I admitted defeat. So I decided I'm going to send it back and get a refund as it was clearly not what was being advertised by Zyon. So was taking it apart and, then while unscrewing one section of it with the tool provided by Zyon the wood splits in two. I was being very careful while taking it a part too! Looking at the wood after it split in two I could see how cheap and nasty this product really was. The "wood" looked more like cardboard than actual wood and I came to the conclusion that if I had been able to set it up it wouldn't have been able to handle the weight of my gaming rig.

So I'm down 60 pounds and still searching for a new table for my computer. Incredibly disappointed. Don't hold Amazon responsible at all as they were great, but I will NEVER buy another Zyon product again and I would HIGHLY recommend if you're thinking about buying this product to have second thoughts as it is utter rubbish. I have to give it 1 out of 5 stars, but if I could I would give it 0 out of 5. Bad design and cheap material makes this an awful product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2013 12:50 PM BST

Paranormal South Tyneside
Paranormal South Tyneside
by Michael J. Hallowell
Price: 10.54

1.0 out of 5 stars Lackluster Look At The Paranormal, 24 May 2013
As a believer in the paranormal and more specifically ghosts I thought this book would be quite interesting as I also come from South Tyneside. I have read books about ghosts and such from all over the world and although they were good I could never really relate to the surroundings as I have never been there before. But with this book I thought finally a book from an area I am very familiar with. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

What bothers me the most about this book is the fact the title is very misleading. The full title of this book is Paranormal South Tyneside True Ghosts Stories. Which, is all fine and well, but here is the problem ghost stories feature very little in this book in fact only 14 pages of 128 page book involves ghosts stories. That's about 9% of the overall book. I think if they dropped the subtitle of True Ghost Stories, then it wouldn't have been an issue with me. I more than likely wouldn't have bought it, but I wouldn't have felt cheated by the publishers.

The actual contents of the book aren't very interesting either I am afraid. The author spends most of the time explaining the phenomena in question and attempts to add levity to the book, which often fall flat and just add to the tedious nature of reading this book. When the author does eventually get to telling you about an actual story he is very vague on details and the actual stories all feel way too short. I mean an average story is something like "Something happened in Jarrow to Joe Bloggs and by the end of it he didn't know what really happened." I know I am being a bit flippant with my description of an average story in this book, but when it boils down to it; that is basically what each story comes down to. Each chapter is also incredibly short and like I have already mentioned the lack of any real depth makes this book worthless for anyone really interested in the paranormal.

There are pictures in this book, but most of them are artist renditions and don't actually feature any real pictures from these so-called stories with a couple of exceptions. So I have to wonder why bother putting them in at all? The answer is simply to add more padding to this book, which already incredibly short.

I know someone reading this review might think to themselves he's just bashing this book because the author didn't take the topic serious enough or approached it with a more skeptical eye than I would care for. But that isn't the problem in fact I enjoy reading books that offer more than one viewpoint to a story. But this book doesn't offer either.

In short incredibly disappointed with this title. Feel like I've been robbed by false title by the publisher. But getting past that I feel each story lacks any real depth and offers very little details to really care about the contents of the book. The author says South Tyneside is a hotbed for paranormal activity, but this book doesn't give you that feeling. It saddens me as I'm not a hater of things, but I feel this book has little to no value. I didn't buy this book from Amazon, but I bought it from ASDA for 7.99 and I feel like I've been robbed and I certainly wouldn't spend Amazon's asking price of 11.66 (as advertised on 24/05/2013) on this title.

*EDIT*

I feel cheated because it sets itself up as a book about ghosts. If it were about other types of paranormal activity, then they should have dropped the subtitle or put it as True Stories of UFOs, Ghosts, etc.