Profile for Chubworth > Reviews

Content by Chubworth

Chubworth "Chubworth" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Office Politics: How to Thrive in a World of Lying, Backstabbing and Dirty Tricks

4.0 out of 5 stars I survived to tell the tale, 25 April 2014
Working with someone who must have been the model for the boss combining all three psychopath, narcissist and machiavellian tendencies to make "The Dark Triad" (I think that was her maiden name), I found this to be one of those books where "Oh my God, that's so true!" kept bursting forth. Luckily by the time I bought this book, I'd already resigned and was on my way to work for a saint but had I been forced to stay, I may have been able to repurpose this book as a suppository.

Sign of the Cross: A Spike Sanguinetti Mystery (Spike Sanguinetti 2)
Sign of the Cross: A Spike Sanguinetti Mystery (Spike Sanguinetti 2)
by Thomas Mogford

1.0 out of 5 stars I made a mistake, 25 April 2014
I bought this because I was interested in the Maltese setting. I was deluded. This is a nasty little book revelling in violence towards women and with no redeeming features. Several hours that I won't get back again (why did I read to the end? Error!)

The Van
The Van
by Roddy Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the finest book ever written, 25 April 2014
This review is from: The Van (Paperback)
I treated myself to reading this again after about 15 years. It was a joy from start to finish. Apart from the comic set pieces (cleaning the van, Bertie teasing Bimbo about his mother in law) this is a sensitive portrayal of tender relationships, none more so than the friendship of middle-aged men in the midst of existential crisis. With chips.

A Bit of a Do
A Bit of a Do

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious writing, 25 April 2014
This review is from: A Bit of a Do (Kindle Edition)
David Nobbs is massively underrated. This is a marvellous book with its successive dos, the Homeric epithets applied to the cast who turn up regularly for them and the wit of the author's observations. I'm glad I didn't see the TV version with David Jason, mainly because I have little time for this over-rated "star" but also because it would have robbed me of the joy of seeing these people as I imagined them to be. This book contains some of the finest comic writing that I have read, well paced and brilliantly judged.

Instructions for a Heatwave
Instructions for a Heatwave

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately a chucker, 25 April 2014
As stated before, my golden rule for book success is whether I feel like hoying it across the room at the end (or even before the end if it really sucks). I read this on Kindle so the chucking was lodged in my imagination. The chucking also happened very close to the end which at least meant that I was enjoying it enough to keep reading but that the ending was so irritating that, having got that far, the disappointment was palpable.

The Politician's Husband [DVD]
The Politician's Husband [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 25 April 2014
This was cliched and thin. We gave it about 20 minutes before hoiking it out of the DVD and watching a Columbo repeat instead (the one with Jack Cassidy as The Great Santini, if you're interested...) and it is now on its way to Oxfam, Hammersmith.

The World At War: The Ultimate Restored Edition 2010 [DVD] [1973]
The World At War: The Ultimate Restored Edition 2010 [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Peter Tiffin
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Larry has made it impossible for me to listen, now, to news reports about Ukraine, 25 April 2014
My first memory of watching this was 1983, I think. I was off school with a heavy cold and feeling massively sorry for myself. I watched the episode about the Holocaust. I stopped feeling sorry for myself. However I am not recommending this as a rather expensive and wordy substitute for Night Nurse; instead this is a prime example of the old school of TV documentary which were designed for thinking people who could cope with complicated concepts and could hold information in their heads for more than two minutes. Larry Olivier gives us a special treat with his mannered pronunciation of "Yoo-Krayyyne", Hitler's stormtroopers the "Ess Aah" and so forth. Marvel too at Albert Speer's weirdly tiny eyebrows. The talking heads are authentic and varied such as the chirpy cockneys in the pub. The most mesmerising, however, is Trudl Junge, Hitler's secretary. Such an incredible story.

SOFTINOS Womens Indira Lace-Up Flats P900161503 Aqua 6 UK, 39 EU
SOFTINOS Womens Indira Lace-Up Flats P900161503 Aqua 6 UK, 39 EU
Offered by Brandpoolshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Softino - so good they named it soft, 25 April 2014
These are very soft and you can't ask for more than that. For once, a new pair of boots that don't attack my feet. I put them on, went out for the day and not a rub, a blister or any sort of problem.

Sid James: Cockney Rebel
Sid James: Cockney Rebel
by Robert Ross

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there more to be said?, 26 Dec 2009
Robert Ross has nothing to prove in terms of his loyalty to the Carry On genre and its exponents. He has submerged himself completely in the oeuvre and few could claim to know more than him. His biography of Sid is as much a loving tribute from an acolyte as the definitive work on this topic. I felt that his frequent attempts to justify Sid's womanising did more to throw the spotlight on this aspect of his character - "methinks the biographer doth protest too much..." rather than the impression Ross was aiming for, I suspect. There was also a lot unsaid on the personal front - one of his two failed marriages left a child who wasn't even named and I have read other accounts which noted how he handled this relationship; it would have chimed well with Ross' general picture of Sid and put a bit more light and shade into this eulogy. I also felt that Ross was too close to some of the dramatis personae of Sid's life to be able to get that sense of academic detachment which could have been brought to bear - hence the pussyfooting about the Babs Windsor relationship which is told as messily as the affair undoubtedly was. I have to agree that his written style left something to be desired and it could have benefited from a firmer, more experienced editor to eliminate some of the infelicities of expression. Nevertheless, it was certainly a delight to dwell for some hours in Sid's world - not exactly the world of Sidney Cohen the actor but "Sid" the character. We'd all love to live in world where there is a honking horn sound whenever someone gets prodded in the buttocks, for example. It was refreshing to read of his professionalism as "One Take James" and his kind fostering of the talents of younger colleagues. Give it ten-fifteen years and I feel that there is more to be said about Sid James but it probably won't be as heartfelt as Robert Ross's book.

The Old Boys' Network: John Rae's Diaries 1970-1986
The Old Boys' Network: John Rae's Diaries 1970-1986
by John Rae

4.0 out of 5 stars Plus ca change, 25 May 2009
As someone involved in management of an independent school, I recognise a lot of contemporary issues in Rae's book - teachers complaining about the decline of discipline but being unwilling to ask a pupil to tuck in their shirt tails or pick up litter; slightly odd school masters obsessed by steam trains; neurotic classics teachers, convinced that the end of their subject is nigh. I can see why former pupils didn't recognise much but to be fair, you'd have to read the memoir of a pupil to get that angle on events. As a record of senior management in a leading public school, this is pretty hard to beat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4