Profile for Sometimes gruntled > Reviews

Content by Sometimes gruntled

Sometimes gruntled (Hampshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Oil Painter's Bible: The Essential Reference for the Practicing Artist
The Oil Painter's Bible: The Essential Reference for the Practicing Artist
by Marylin Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Introduction Manual, 19 April 2015
I am a beginner and I bought this book as a reference and introduction to all the aspects of oil painting.
The book is divided into 4 sections: Materials; Colour: Techniques and Subjects.
The chapters within these sections are brief, but potential buyers should be aware that it is
quite a small book: 180 pages, size 6" by 8".
Calling it a " bible " is perhaps overstating it.

Buyers should also be aware that it does state on the contents page that parts have previously been
published in " The Encyclopedia of Oil Painting Techniques", "100 Great Oil Painting Tips", and
" The Oil Painters Pocket Palette " ( this last title is maybe a more accurate title).
I can understand some annoyance if you've already got these books and expected something different

The book is well made and the content clear and well laid out.
The reproductions of paintings within, though small are pleasing to the eye.
I've actually used it whilst painting,and the spiral-bound version is great for this - and you can easily wipe off any splatter!

Overall I think it's a great introduction to the broad subject of oil painting for the novice artist.
And I got it second-hand for a great low price.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Descendants Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
The Descendants Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

5.0 out of 5 stars A soothing balm, 15 Mar. 2013
I loved the film but then I realized what beautiful music ran through it.
There are 18 tracks, most of which are acoustic guitar, ukulele and vocal ensemble pieces.
The last 2 tracks are what I think of as most 'Hawaiian' sounding, featuring slide guitar and vibes
and sound like older recordings.
But all the tracks have a happy and mellow feel to them.
If you're stressed out in life ( and who isn't! ), then treat yourself to some brain medicine and get this album.
Get in a hot foam bath with a good book and put this on; you can't help but feel better.
Oh, and go and see the film if you haven't seen it!

Artists Collection Large Paint by Numbers Opening Day
Artists Collection Large Paint by Numbers Opening Day
Offered by Gameseek

3.0 out of 5 stars A Better Choice Than Some, 10 Mar. 2013
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is my second Reeves product, as the first one didn't really work for me
as my introduction to paint-by-numbers.
As I started, I was happy to stick by the numbers guide in the certainty
that I would end up with something satisfactory.

However, I soon realized that the colours suggested don't match with the guide
picture and are not realistic (although you may be happy with an impressionist look).
Now, to my mind, this is not really good enough; what is the point, unless the
colours are right?

Having said this, there is a positive; for me personally, it's forced me to 'go over'
the painting again, interpreting my own colours and adding more detail and blending
to get a satisfactory result; a bit of 'creative stretching'.

So, in summary: despite the dubious choice of colours, it's good value and you can
always correct areas you're not happy with.

P.S. I got so frustrated with trying to open the paint pots without using two hands
that I drilled some 19mm holes in a piece of wood and slotted the pots into the holes.
Worked a treat!

Parking Timer with Keyring
Parking Timer with Keyring
Offered by Mobility Choices

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 17 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Parking Timer with Keyring
This is the second one I've bought as the first one broke; now the second
one's broken.
To be fair, it does what it says, it's just too flimsy so doesn't last.
Where can I get a German/Swiss/Swedish made one?

Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by PNA247

5.0 out of 5 stars One to play again and again., 11 Jun. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Just finished this game and I can say as a seasoned ( and mature! ) gamer, that
it has been one of the best gaming experiences I've had.

I'm particular to 1st person games where you can immerse yourself in the
environment and create your own adventure ( Thief, System Shock 2, Elder Scrolls,
Stalker )so it's great to play a game where the illusion can't be broken easily.
When you interact with characters they're believable with realistic reactions.

I've played Fallout 1 & 2 and although I understood that this iteration
had more in common with Oblivion, it retains enough of the original elements to
satisfy fans, such as the V.A.T.S system of combat, and the frustratingly
enjoyable choice of where to allocate your level-up points.

I have a fairly high-end PC ( Quad core, 9800GTX graphics ) and it ran o.k.
However, I had a problem initially with it randomly crashing to black screen,
requiring a full mains shut-off and restart to recover. I eventually found a
cure: set to 800X600 with Anti-Aliasing off. All other settings could be
set to high, so it although it's disappointing not to able to play on the
highest settings ( the story of my gaming life!)it still looks good, with
satisfying detail in the distance.

One other point: the combat quite gory if your of a sensitive disposition.

In summary, if you love this sort of game, you love this game.

New Apple iPod Shuffle 2GB - Green
New Apple iPod Shuffle 2GB - Green
Offered by EXTREME DEALS

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, shame about the software, 23 Oct. 2010
Got one of these after being given a free Chinese-made replica that was playing up.
Instantly you can tell the difference: mainly that it works! The quality of build is great, its
easy to use and the sound quality is noticeably superior, the bass response especially better.

My only gripe is with iTunes.
Having been used to Windows Media Player, the iTunes platform seems clunky; it won't search your library for tracks, you have to load each of your folders or tracks one-by-one.
Unfortunately, like some other well-known companies, Apple have seen fit to force us to use their software instead of allowing the customer to choose.
And when I finally got though the registration process, I found their music tracks to be up to 25% more than Amazons! Why should I bother?

This doesn't detract from the fact that this is a good product, a really amazing piece of technology.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2010 10:24 AM GMT

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition Box Set) [DVD]
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine quality, genuine bargain., 23 Aug. 2008
I am genuinely stunned by this package; to get this whole box set with 6 discs of extras for under twenty quid is just amazing. I've watched all the extra discs and they're a real insight to the making of the trilogy. Peter Jackson and his team have gone to great effort to create a special edition of LotR for DVD, not just the original release with the cuts put back in.
Be warned though, that there are spoilers in the extra discs so don't watch them first if you don't want to know what happens; they've added a whole lot more that they had to leave out of the original cinematic release.
Of course, the Blu-Ray version will be even better, but apparently it's not due anytime soon.
So get this fantastic bargain now!

Resident Evil [DVD] [2002]
Resident Evil [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Milla Jovovich
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Insult to the name, 22 May 2008
This review is from: Resident Evil [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Pointless, irrelevant, formulaic, predictable and insulting screen conversion of the Resident Evil games. Those who have never played may find some eye candy in this no-brainer movie, but those who have enjoyed the series right from the first game will be sorely disappointed. The essense, soul and heart of Resident Evil has been completely expunged in this vanilla, bums-on-seats, first weekender cobbled together by the boys in suits. Another dud added to the scrap pile of game/book/comic - to - film conversions.

The Nation's Favourite Poems (BBC Radio Collection)
The Nation's Favourite Poems (BBC Radio Collection)
by John Nettles
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Jarring!, 6 Mar. 2008
It was like this : I think I'll just have a lie down a listen to my new poetry CD. Nice poems, mellow voices and ...diddle - a dee, diddle a dee,
DIDDLE - A -DEE, DEE, DEE!!! What the heck is that electonic racket? The whole experience was ruined by the toy-like, tinny segue music between tracks. I'm going to have to " edit " these out. 'Tis a pity as the poetry is varied, entertaining and well read. I suppose if you planning to stay awake, it'll be O.K. but I'm going to knock off some stars for the unwelcome noise.

Remington R3 Titanium Series R320 Rotary Shaver
Remington R3 Titanium Series R320 Rotary Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 6 Mar. 2008
Got this for Christmas. It's comfortable in the hand, quiet in operation and the charge lasts well ( but then I only shave once a week! ). There's also a hair trimmer which is good for nasal hair trimming. Good value.

Page: 1 | 2