Profile for Boggie > Reviews

Content by Boggie

Boggie (Nottinghamshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: Tertiary Phase (BBC Audiobooks)
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: Tertiary Phase (BBC Audiobooks)
by Douglas Adams
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it....good......good oh yes, i think that some of the metaphorical imagery is particularily effective., 19 Jun 2013
there are an interesting range of reviews here, so to mine, but before i start its interesting to note that every time douglas adams revisited material he would always add more & take it to a different place the radio series, tv, film & book adaptations all have differences whether you liked them or not.

I loved the first 3 books, the last two not as much. I have listened to the original radio series over & over for years & still find them entertaining. I have really enjoyed listening to this for the first tme, as i missed the new series when they were first broadcast. I would agree that it does lack some of the creativity that the original series had, but since i found this as a book, to be the best of them all it has not detracted from my enjoyment. The cathdral of hate & agrajag are a delight to my twisted mind & have brought a smile every time i listen & i have had to listen a few times just to make sure...

Yes its overacted a bit here & there but since the original producer wasnt involved & dirk mags wrote the adaptation due to the sad death of douglas adams it was never going to be the same. Most of the original actors are involved althouh some of the voices have changed since the original series were created. If you are looking for new material broadcast in the same way that the originals were then you will probably be left slightly disappointed. This is more like the sequal trying its hardest to respect the original yet also working hard to be fresh for a new generation. I havnt read this book in years but i would agree with what one of the other reviews states, that its more like an adaptation of the book rather than a radio play.

Aircoustic In-Ear Speakers - Beech Wood
Aircoustic In-Ear Speakers - Beech Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars in every way beautiful......& a bargain at this price, 24 Nov 2011
Ok so i thought i would give these a try & for £10 i don't think you can go wrong. But taste & sound is all down to opinion. Its a novel idea for headphones, Many speakers are enclosed with wood. Others have commented on the packaging & yes its cute but i did not struggle to open like some others have.

I have played these on a Sony NWZ-X1060 mp3 player & compared to some creative EP630 & Shure SE 110-215 ear buds. i was disappointed in the creative EP630 because they sound muddy to my ears. The Shures sound great & a few years ago were awarded a best buy by one of the HI-fi review mags i find them great but difficult to wear.

The Aircoustics fit easily, have a great balanced tone,a warm bass that does not overwhelm the sound image & is great for a variety of musical types. The vocals & acoustic instruments sound really great. Higher frequencies are punchy too. I love live recordings these bring new life to everything i have tried with them

I really can not stress the value for money the Shures cost me £70 a few years ago & these easily out perform them just because you dont have to move them around to get them in your ears properly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2011 7:13 PM GMT

MySims: Kingdom (Nintendo DS)
MySims: Kingdom (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Crunchbusters

5.0 out of 5 stars A review from my daughter, 17 Jun 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My daughter is 10 & she loves this game so she has asked me to help her with a review
These are her words, i am scribe....

It's Really Fun, very similar to Animal crossing. It is also funny, because the king loves to slam doors. One of the people is dressed up like a dog & owns the zoo. The policeman is scared of ghosts & he's not great at his job. The scientist makes funny inventions that nearly always go wrong, but they are great for other people. Shes no good at the tennis mini game, but the practice is good.

As you can read For her it has many elements that make it enjoyable.

Freedom
Freedom

4.0 out of 5 stars White heart at the top of their Game, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Freedom (MP3 Download)
This was one of my favourite albums of the late 80's. It took the band to a whole new level that they never appeared to reached again due to various line up changes. They are not very well known in the UK which is a pity. For me their three best albums are this, "dont wait for the movie" & "Highlands" although every Album had highlights that i could write forever about. Songs like "Heroes" & "Turn the page". Amongst some very famous folk state side they were more well known for the recording of one song "the Little drummer boy" which still rocks & is one of the best Traditional carol/Rock conversions to date.

White hearts songs are built up, but like modern rockers of any genre they do ballads very well. Lyrically i have often thought of them as giving us sugar covered medicine as when you read the lyrics they hardly ever pull punches. They had been like that through out their career. Truth often laced with Humour, Rock with lyrics honed to a sharp point or edge. One of the Best band to see live, great showmanship. If you like early Bon jovi, Europe Then this may be right up your street.

Only 4 stars because its dated, but i still love it, if this was 1989 it would have got 10 out of 5. For me The second half of the Album is better especially With "Power tools" which taught & continues to teach me about people. "Let it Go" still sound fresh, & "I'll meet you there" a song of passing still makes me think. Great songs throughout with a little cheese mixed in. For 80's rockers who hanker for something different go try & Buy.

Live The Life
Live The Life

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Smitty's best, an Album that's a great journey, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Live The Life (MP3 Download)
For those who have followed the career of this talented man, will know that its full of water mark moments, I remember when i bought this years ago that "Word" (the record Label) were advertising it as one of his best. I agree & that's after listening to it for years.

It's a 90's product, a little More Rocky in arrangement than some of his earlier work with gentler ballads as well. The songs tend to build. Its more of a 3 course meal than a trip to your favourite fast food outlet. For me it equals "The big Picture", "Go west young Man" & "Freedom" among his better Albums. There are few musical styles in its make up.

Let me show you the way was co written with Nik Kershaw. & is one of many stand out tracks, I love most of them From musical arrangements to the lyrical journey that this takes you on. Its one Album that will always remain in my collection, but then again there are many of his that will.

It's Time
It's Time

4.0 out of 5 stars A man of integrity whose music, vision & words speak louder than than his own voice, 6 May 2011
This review is from: It's Time (MP3 Download)
Some people call Brian Doerkson a voice crying out in the wilderness, for those who do not know of him this is a collection of 2x new for the time of release & reworked songs.

He is a man of integrity who does not just right songs he is a craftsman, every lyric, Melody & harmony are thought out before release He takes time over musical arrangements, Many people will know his songs even if they do not know him. Many of the songs he wrote during the 90's were released through vineyard & even now they still move people. He has an ability that i do not often seen in others were he can start a song from different places within its structure to build a song, then take a song to a different place.

The album has songs from stripped simple arrangements to more full on. This version of Eternity is as beautiful as it ever was with new life due to the acoustic guitar arrangement. Come & fill me up has a country vibe yet still works & you can feel the heart of worship. Your love is Amazing starts slow & then kicks in. I love Broken & beautiful for the heart of the song. For me you cant go wrong with the songs he writes for they speak to the heart. He is passionate about what he does, is truthful about life as he sees it.

I look forward with baited breath when he releases a project for the creative journey it takes you on.

My Passion - EP
My Passion - EP

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little EP, 6 May 2011
This review is from: My Passion - EP (MP3 Download)
This is a great little EP but be warned if you like it it will leave you thirsty for more, It has two extended songs, My Passion & Show me your Glory from Jesus Cultures Come away release Which is excellent. I prefer the longer versions of those songs as you can experience more of what happened, I would have thought that were also recorded at the same live conference/event. Show me your Glory is my favourite just for the way the song builds in intensity & also for the fact that time was made for those involved to get lost in the worship of their creator.

All Worship Albums should be like this little taster.

Life Light Up
Life Light Up
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Great First Album, 4 May 2011
This review is from: Life Light Up (Audio CD)
For those who do not know who Christy Nockels is, listen to any passion album & she will be on it somewhere. She is someone who sings with authenticity, like any truly great singer of any genre, her performance makes you believe that she believes & owns every lyric & melody. After a statement like that there is little more to say except she is as good live as in the studio.

Great song choices, some of them sound live by the arrangement even though they are not. There are so many stand out tracks, top 3 for me as for the other reviewers include "No not one", "A mighty fortress" & Hosanna (not neccesarly in that order).

For many people she is the Darlene Zschech of this generation as Darlene was when Hillsongs took off over 20 years ago.

If you are not sure most of these have been uploaded to "utube". have a listen, then buy, There are not many singers these days who leave you breathless for more, She is someone who does.

Passion:Here For You
Passion:Here For You
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars some wonderful Music & some more average, the special edition is better value, 4 May 2011
This review is from: Passion:Here For You (Audio CD)
before i start i like to preface my review with two things, reviews are subjective & second i am a big fan of what passion do. 1 would rate it 3 1/2 out of 5.

This also is not a bad album, for me it just does not reach the heights that other Passion releases have reached. A lot of reviewers have made too much of the fact that Chris Tomlin does too much, He does what he does well, although for me his edge is blunter than it was on the earlier songs he wrote. Saying that Waiting here for You the third track is the best simple "worship" song that i have heard in years & for that song alone i would rate 5 stars, Christy Nockels sings it well, its performance in a moment of pure worship with no gimicks. "All my fountains" has a good grove so i can see why it has been popular, but for me its missing something that sets it apart from the rest. "Spirit Fall" captures the heart of Worship & is a great example of how a song can build & release in intensity making it for me the second best recording on the Album.

I would agree that the extended edition with extra tracks would be the way to go. There is even Rap on a couple of tracks which i have never thought of this art form as a vehicle for Worship, but it works. The video package of one of the main sessions is excellent & a great message that i would have bought separately were it available.

I think that the feel that you get from this is that it was an event, rather than a concert held on one night. the message is about taking a stand, to the youth who were there Shine brightly as the first track states "We are here for You" & who can argue with that.

For me its an album that smoulders rather than takes off & i am sad about that because Passion is about "passion" not smouldering. that said it will still reach out people & find a home in hearts.

D'Addario EXP16 EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze Light  (.012-.053) Acoustic Guitar Strings
D'Addario EXP16 EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze Light (.012-.053) Acoustic Guitar Strings

5.0 out of 5 stars great strings, 16 April 2011
I have been using these strings for a while now & so far i like, yes they are pricey, whether cost is worth the extra is another issue that is subjetcive. I have always liked diadario strings for the brighter sound they give an instrument. They can be more fragile than other makes.

For me these strings have remained brighter sounding for longer than the usual, but for how long this remains we shall see. I havn't broken a string even when rocking it out playing stuff. I will know better when i come to replace them for i will use a set of normals & then the comparrison between the two will be more obvious. I think that will be the final test as to whether these or normals will be the preferance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3