Profile for Jordan Palfrey > Reviews

Content by Jordan Palfrey

Jordan Palfrey "vanadis23" (Spain)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and very comfortable base layer, 28 Nov. 2011
Bought these base layer trousers to keep me cycling through the winter. I wore them today and I could just about feel the cool outside (it was minus 1), but the base layers performed admirably. Also, from the way they are designed, they don't chafe and they don't feel tight anywhere (I am six foot one with a 34" waist ans I went with the medium.)

Would happily purchase another pair.

Far Cry 2 (PC)
Far Cry 2 (PC)
Offered by passionFlix UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, but enjoyable at times., 15 Sept. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
I have been thinking about writing a review about this game for some time. At the time of writing this, I have now played it through twice; The last time I finished it was about 6 months ago.

This game can be extremely tedious at times, but there are little things that I learned to avoid the tedious moments.

My review will comprise some tips which will hopefully make this beautiful game more enjoyable. As pretty and liberating as this game is, there are some big drawbacks.

Firstly, the most annoying thing for me about this game was the respawning guard posts, so I looked at ways around them, Unfortunately, these checkpoints are normally placed on junctions; the game is designed to make you confront them time and time again. Simple tactics are time consuming: front attack is time consuming, driving straight through means your vehicle takes damage and crashes, you end up taking cover behind a vehicle which is about to blow up.
Three ways around it: Boats, buses, and offroad. Normally think of combinations of the three to get to your objectives without going through the damn checkpoints.

Secondly, and this may stem from my stealthy style of play, but pure stealth does not work in this game. Once you fire your first silent shot, everyone knows where you are. It's annoying, but I got around it by changing tactics slightly. I got as close as I could to my objective without firing a shot, then just "unleashed the fury", attack with grenades, molotov cocktails, area attack weapons like grenade launchers or and RPG, moved in with an assault rifle, then got out as quickly as possible.

The game is very very pretty; despite the often long drives, they can be quite peaceful. The scenery is beautiful and hard to tire of.

However, the "fighting for different sides" aspect is redundant, missions are missions, payment is payment, there is no real difference between them.

The friends system is innovative, but of no real interest.

The hidden diamonds are interesting at the start, but the novelty factor wears off quickly.

The extra missions (for friends) aren't particularly different from the other lot. However the assassination missions (cell phone towers) were great. Really enjoyed some of those.

The safehouse system is redundant as on the PC you can save your game.

The "gun jamming thing" is dull, as the guns only jam in your hands, not those of your enemies.

The malaria thing is just another reason to do more missions.

When I remember playing this game, I get warm happy feelings. I have some great stories that I tell other players of that time when I took out the guy in the land rover with my sniper rifle, or when I swam upriver with an AK-47 and put some IEDs on the road where I knew a convoy was going through.

These stories are what make this game great, and if it only had these moments, it would be a five star. The game makes you find these moments, and sometimes the search for these stories can tire and distract you, but if you are willing to stick around (and hopefully the hints will make the game more amenable), you can find them and create your own great stories.

Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (3 User Licence) (PC)
Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (3 User Licence) (PC)
Offered by Empire Group

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, pity about Outlook, 10 Jan. 2009
I guess everyone already knows that this is the industry standard for office applications, and in this package is everything you need, except Outlook. Admittedly I should have researched this a little more thoroughly, so I am writing this so you don't make the same mistake that I did. If you want Outlook you need to go for "Office Standard"

Otherwise, this package has all the programs you would expect and need, and is a must buy.

Call to Treason: Tom Clancy's Op-Centre
Call to Treason: Tom Clancy's Op-Centre
by Jeff Rovin

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but nothing special., 21 July 2007
Firstly, I almost stopped reading this book after I saw two grammatical errors in the first four pages. They're not particularly bad, they just stop you in your tracks while you work out what was trying to be said. In any case, these errors may have been fixed.

The story is well told, but the character development and faithfulness to the characters leave a lot to be desired.

I feel that the author never really gets to grips with some of the characters. Often when he attempts to create character choices based on moral criteria, the reader is left feeling confused about the true feelings of the character. This especially is true of Mike Rodgers.

I don't like the way that the other characters of op-centre remain mostly untouched.

Otherwise the story is ok. Nothing really special. Well told, pacing isn't quite right for some of the book, and some of the twists (especially those concerning characters) feel too improvised to have been planned and executed with any degree of realism.
Overall, not a bad read, but not really up to Op-Centre standard.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown (PC)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown (PC)
Offered by John Seth Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Console Convert means Poor Game, 21 Mar. 2006
This game doesn't deserve to be titled Rainbow Six, with the pedigree in Tactical Simulation that the name implies. The only reason I bought it was to complete my Rainbow Six collection. I should have saved my money.
I was absolutely disappointed- no, devastated is a better word, to discover what Ubisoft have been doing with the Rainbow team. Previously, it was the standard by which other tactical shooters were measured: brilliant graphics, imaginative missions, well written storylines; if a little corny and cliched. Also, the all important planning stage meant that a mission could be won or lost before you even got in to the action stage. Selection of kit was all important; the right gun could also mean success or failure.
I was saddened to find out that Rainbow has sold out to the consoles. Now a linear, boring game, with appallingly bad AI, and no need for any gun choice. Turning the difficulty up to Hard to try and improve the AI means your crosshair disappears! You can turn up with the hostages with no danger of them being executed. The planning stage has gone, the guns are no longer called by their real names, both characteristic of the Rainbow genre. Reality has been thrown out of the window. Targets stand around waiting to be shot, suddenly appearing if you don't disactivate a camera. Some of the missions are quite original, and the graphics is one of its saving points. The "special" vision mode is useless. This has all come about because it is a console game remake, and Ubisoft should know better than to produce this sort of game for the PC market. They really should be ashamed of themselves.
This game should never have been made for the PC.