Profile for J. W. Hodgson > Reviews

Content by J. W. Hodgson

J. W. Hodgson (Cambridge, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Dual powered Electric Air Pump For Airbeds & High Volume Inflatables With Car 12v & Home 240v Plug Adaptors Fast Flow Garden Home or Camping Airpump With Universal Valves Inflates & Deflates.
Offered by PowerSaveBulbs (UK VAT Registered)
Price: 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
I no longer have to sit on the inflatable to get the air out before storage. Magic.

McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland
McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland
by Pete Mccarthy
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest books I've read., 1 Mar 2014
I bought this after buying his other book about his experience in Morocco. Title escapes me just now but since he's only written two it's the other one.

The Road to McCarthy
The Road to McCarthy
by Pete Mccarthy
Price: 7.29

5.0 out of 5 stars This book embarrassed me., 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Road to McCarthy (Paperback)
I tried to read the book in a railway carriage full of commuters. As I got into the book I began to smile, then chuckle and then laugh uncontrollably. That's why I was embarrassed.

Unlike other books which are difficult to put down this one had to be put down, or I fear I would have been.

I have just ordered McCarthy's Bar.

The Little Book of Golf Tips (Little Books of Tips)
The Little Book of Golf Tips (Little Books of Tips)
by Peter French
Price: 3.15

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is no different to cheating at golf., 14 Feb 2014
Yes the book is small. Very small, but I can cope with that. After all it is called The Little Book of Golf Tips.

What irks me most is the fact that the entire 50 tips would fit on two pages, well, that's a bit mean. Let's be generous and say three.

The book has been padded out by putting each tip on a single page and then DOUBLING the size of the book by using an entire page to let the reader know what the tip number is, as if it matters.

It's like opening a book only to find that each page number fills an entire page. The author has cleverly or cunningly repeated that FIFTY times. What a waste of space, paper and money..

Tallon 3183 A5 Week To View Diary
Tallon 3183 A5 Week To View Diary
Price: 2.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 10 Jan 2014
I saw the author interviewed on Breakfast TV recently and found her story spell binding an just had to get the book.

Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 4:38 PM GMT

Top Ten Tips for Writing Cover Letters: Tips You Would Never Think Of
Top Ten Tips for Writing Cover Letters: Tips You Would Never Think Of
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars An irritating book - Poor grammar and even worse punctuation., 2 Jan 2014
The author tells us that employers are put off when they receive a cover letter with typos, poor grammar, incorrect punctuation etc. Well, this book has them all, and more.

It doesn't take long for the reader to get irritated. e.g. Click on 'Look Inside' feature and you'll see that Tip Number 1 is: 'Always Give the Employer What She Wants' She? Are there no male interviewers or recruiters?

The author starts by writing in the first person but then switches to the third person and back again. Classic mistake. If any reader were to adopt the same style in their cover letter they would be rejected, but unlike the author, they don't get a second chance.

My advice to the author is to take a leaf out of your own book. If you don't have the writing skills yourself, seek professional advice.

At the back of the book you invite the reader to contact you by email. You can't even get that right. Unbelievable.

Mum is in Charge
Mum is in Charge
by John O'Neill
Price: 6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminder of what it was like to be a child growing up during WW2, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Mum is in Charge (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed Mum is in Charge. The book is full of long-forgotten facts and reminders of the constant threats, hardships and humour that was ever present during the World War 2.

What I liked most about it is that it is an account of a real family struggling to get by in war torn Britain as seen through the eyes of a little boy. Written with love and passion. It brought back memories of my own childhood.

Anyta Hodgson

Heavy Duty Clothes Rail Garment Rail 5ft Long x 5ft High SUPERIOR QUALITY
Heavy Duty Clothes Rail Garment Rail 5ft Long x 5ft High SUPERIOR QUALITY
Offered by The Shopfitting Shop
Price: 28.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to assemble - even for me, 18 Mar 2013
Needed by my granddaughter who has more clothes than will fit into her standard size wardrobe.

Easy to assemble. Didn't need the instructions which suits me.

Original Flair Hair Visor, Grey
Original Flair Hair Visor, Grey
Offered by Boomshanka
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody who sees it wants one., 18 Mar 2013
As a golfer with plenty of hats I never expected a joke hat to be top quality but it is.

Top Tips: Interviewing: 1
Top Tips: Interviewing: 1
by John Hodgson
Price: 5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars My neighbour borrowed my copy and got me to order one for his daughter at univeristy, 18 Mar 2013
No need to look anywhere else. Everything you need to know is here and written in an easy style. Just buy it.

Page: 1 | 2