Profile for Simon Northwood > Reviews

Content by Simon Northwood

Simon Northwood (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales of the Slayers
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales of the Slayers
by Joss Whedon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 3 Jan. 2004
I love this comic.
I ordered it and read the first couple of stories at breakfast and the others on the bus to school (how i didn't get beaten up i don't know).
What I'm trying to say is this is the best tie in comic in the Buffy series...you think you're a fan - but it!

Joss Whedon's Fray
Joss Whedon's Fray
by Joss Whedon

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondeful, 3 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Joss Whedon's Fray (Paperback)
I am not a comic book fan...i like the set up and have loved the movies but reading comics (except Buffy) really gets on my nerves...
I picked up Fray mainly out of curiousity and an excess of money i read issues 1-3 and was amazed.
For the next gazzilion years i searched for subsequent issues before using an online retailer and ordering them in.
Issues 4-8 were even better than the first and i loved it.
I love this series.
I want more.
Buy this product.
Joss is a god.
Buy this product.
Please buy it.
Joss has a gun to my head.
Please buy Fray...it's great.
Seriously I LOVE IT.
disclaimer: i am in no way implying that Joss would need a gun to sell his products, he is great enough as it is...plus he has a sword.

Hulk
Hulk
by Peter David
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Hulk Smash(ing), 3 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Hulk (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book at an airport and, after seeing the fil, did not have very high hopes but i was desperate so i bought it.
After finishing the book I'd packed i reluctantly turned to the novelisation and i found myself reading more than i intended to each day.
The plot seemed to make more sense and i found myself caring more about the characters than in the movie.
Nothing against the movie - i loved it but once you've seen something you've seen it right? - WRONG! Reading Hulk i realised how wrong i was.
I have now decided that novelisations of movies are great idea and have read Spider-Man, Daredevil and i intend to read LXG and X-Men...
...Mow if i could just find X-Men 2 then that would be great!

Seven Crows (Buffy/Angel Crossover)
Seven Crows (Buffy/Angel Crossover)
by John Vornholt

4.0 out of 5 stars Riley an interesting character - how did that happen?, 24 Aug. 2003
Having just finished reading Seven Crows in under two days i can confirm that this is the breath of fresh air that Buffy novel fans have been waiting for.

Taking the character out of their natural environments of LA and Sunnydale is inspired.

The core characters are not an overload of the two shows but simply Buffy, Angel, Riley and Sam.

Riley and Sam are easily the best characters in the book being the couple we know least about and are therefore more interesting, don't get me wrong I love Buffy and Angel but can almost predict their every move.

Angel is used as the dashing hero and whilst not out of character does not fit into synch with a recently raised-from-the-sea Angel. Though the Historians Note clearly tells us that it is an Alternate Buffy Season 7 we are left to assume that we are in an Alternate Angel season 4?

Buffy does not seem to be normal either, whilst she is on form i feel she is under used and merely the cheap damsel-in-distress.

I loved this book, don't doubt that for a second. All I'm saying is that it had its faults.

This book serves as a great intro to the Riley/Sam Monster Squad and also leaves us with an interesting cliff hanger.

Also the book is shorter than most and while this is in no way a bad thing kids may get the impression it is therefore a younger book, Seven Crows is not. In fact it is one of the most adult Buffy books around.

In conclusion i would say that i would recommend this book to any long time Buffy novel reader but not a new-comer.

Why?

Simply because it is such an anomaly (a very good one, but one none the less) and it may not be what you expect form a Buffy or Angel novel.

So if you like the Buffy novels - this one is for you!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3