Profile for Colin Main > Reviews

Content by Colin Main

Colin Main (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
dodocool 3 in 1 Aluminum Portable Mini CREE LED Flashlight Power Bank Torch Rechargeable 18650 Charger Multi-use Black 320-350Lm 6500K white
Offered by douself

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says., 10 Oct 2014
This is not a rechargeable torch / battery pack. It is a *container* for a rechargeable battery but is not supplied with a battery so is useless.
Furthermore the battery it needs is not a standard size or voltage so you can't simply slip in one from the cupboard.

I am trying to return this for a refund - if a can convince Amazon that it does not contain flammable gasses, whivhb they seemto think it does.

(Rechargeable)OxyLED Q6 Portable Multi-Functional 4-Level Adjustable Brightness Led Lamp / Lantern with Built-in Battery for Fishing / Camping / Hiking / Tent / Emergency (Mini USB Charging) (White)
Offered by Thousand Shores

2.0 out of 5 stars Good lamp but the suppliers spam you., 8 Oct 2014
The lamp is good - well worth 4 stars. The company, however, have knocked 2 stars of by using my private email address to send me spam.
If you value your privacy and data protection, think carefully before buying from these people. If this does not concern you, this lamp is excellent.

Microsoft Visio Professional 2013 (1PC/1User)  [Download]
Microsoft Visio Professional 2013 (1PC/1User) [Download]

1.0 out of 5 stars A useless product for database modelling, 19 Aug 2014
I found this latest version of visio is actually quite hard to like for a number of reasons:
1) I am not a fan of the white office 2013 interface or the ribbons that increasingly (and more than 2010) favour tall, thin screens (as opposed to the short, wide ones sold on laptops).
2) There is no way of saving many default preferences. If you want to have all diagrams set with a fixed size grid, you have to change the option every time you open visio.
3) The deployment method - download, install, uninstall because the download was corrupt, install (repeat 3 times) is very painful and unreliable. Then download and reinstall the rest of office 2013 because it got corrupted at the same time. I contacted Microsoft support and was told that they could help me only by charging £200 to my credit card - what a farce!
4) This new version of visio REMOVES ALL DATABASE FUNCTIONALITY. Yes - read that again - it removes ALL database functionality! One of the main reasons for going "pro" has been removed. It is now no longer possible to reverse OR EVEN forward engineer a database schema using visio - even the stencils for table definitions have been removed. All you can do is draw a "cylinder" picture to represent a database.

The only thing new is the ability to collaborate on diagrams. I have no idea whether this works because I have no need of it, but I have not once in alnmost 15 years of using Visio needed to do this.

This is not the worst version of visio that MS has produced, but it is out-classed by 2003, 2010 and (the best of the bunch), 2007.

If I could wind back the clock I would purchase either visio 2007 (possibly 2010 or even 2003). I would certainly not buy this 2013 pro.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2014 7:17 PM BST

Quality Brass Engraved 25mm Disc Identity Tag When Checking Out Please Tick The Gift Message Box To Send Us The Engraving Details
Offered by Spoilt Rotten Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what was required, 2 Jun 2014
This is not a luxury item, but it is a legal requirement for dogs being walked on public land in the UK.
The wording appears to be etched rather than engraved but I would expect it to last 2-3 years (it takes a lot of wear on my very active dog). When the time comes to replace it, I will start by looking here again, hopefully the delivery will also be as quick as it was this time (well before the "estimated delivery" date).

Pilot Pen Frixion Clicker Erasable Rollerball Pen - Black
Pilot Pen Frixion Clicker Erasable Rollerball Pen - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, 2 Jun 2014
Let's face it, this is not an expensive pen. However, the finish is reasonable and the grip is comfortable. The ink looks good (it is about half way between a traditional biro and a fountain pen in terms of consistency and looks) and the eraser works well without any noticeable signs of wear.

Mikki Training Anti-pull Harness with Reflective Collar, Large
Mikki Training Anti-pull Harness with Reflective Collar, Large

1.0 out of 5 stars Works by inflicting pain and injury, 2 Jun 2014
My initial reaction to this was that it was brilliant. It stopped my Springer from pulling, which can be exhausting when walking for several miles.
However after just 2-3 days it became clear why it worked - it was rubbing my dog's "armpits" raw, making them bleed and causing great distress to the dog and the family. I solved this problem by throwing this waste-of-money device into the bin.

I would strongly urge caution before (and after) purchasing this product - it may well cause pain and injury to your beloved pet.

EE Pay as you go SIM with 10GB 4G data for your mobile phone
EE Pay as you go SIM with 10GB 4G data for your mobile phone

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 2 Jun 2014
The SIM is indeed preloaded with 10Gb data. The things stopping 5 stars are:
1) Mobile coverage. EE seems to stand for "most things, most places".
2) Despite selecting the "I DO NOT WANT SPAM" box when registering, EE insist on sending promotional text and email messages. The only way to stop the texts is to text them back, but this is impossible from a data-only sim!

100% GENUINE SAMSUNG EHS64 EHS64AVFWE HEADSET / HANDSFREE / HEADPHONE / EARPHONE WITH VOLUME CONTROL FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 SII I9300,GALAXY S2 SII I9100,GALAXY S I9000,SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 N7100,SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE N7000,GALAXY S3 MINI I8190,SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE S5830, SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE 2 BY MOBILE NEEDS
Offered by Digital Save UK Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars "100% GENUINE SAMSUNG" - well maybe..., 21 April 2014
For a product to start its description "100% GENUINE SAMSUNG..." (in capitals) makes me suspicious. They do look like they might be genuine but their packaging (a plastic bag containing more assurances that these are genuine) is a little less than might be expected from a Samsung product.

The sound quality is OK and the controls are similar to the ones I got with my phone. However they DO NOT come with any alternative size ear-buds, which is a key reason why I wanted to replace the old ones.

If I had medium-sized ear holes I might consider these again (they are very cheap, after all) but without the larger buds they are no good for me.

Denon AH-D510R Mobile Elite Over-Ear Headphones with 3 Button Remote and Mic
Denon AH-D510R Mobile Elite Over-Ear Headphones with 3 Button Remote and Mic
Offered by savvybuys2

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound OK but not truly "over ear", 23 Jan 2014
The headphones are slightly on the tinny side of things but with a graphic equaliser they are not bad - even getting on for quite good.
However the volume buttons do not work with the Samsung Galaxy S3. To be fair, Denon only claims compatibilty with ipod and iphone, but every other set of "buttoned" headphones I have every tried worked fine with all modern phones. So whilst I am disappointed I cannot really complain too much.

The issue for me is that these are not "over the ear" as they are not big enough. They could be said to be "over a child's ear" or they could be said to be a half-way house, but I wanted something which my ears (which are not exceptionally large!) would fit inside - and these do not meet that need.

Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black
Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for the price, 1 Jan 2014
These headphones consist of two parts which I will review separately:

1) The ear-plugs.
These are a very basic quality and I find it very difficult to get a good fit in my ear. Sound quality is poor - tinny and lacking bass, but there is a build in bass-boost that almost makes up for this. The lead is not very long, which is exactly what you need if you are going to clip the unit to your collar or lapel, but if you want to clip it to your belt (which I do underneath a waterproof jacket when walking the dog) you may well need an extension.

2) The reveiver unit.
This is OK at best but is over-priced for its quality. The biggest button on the unit is the most useless (to me) - the "call" button. Press it once and it re-dials your most recent number; not much use unless you are 100% certain who you last called. Press it twice (or perhaps it is a long-press) and it does something else equally useless (to me). To me the "phone" features of this are unneccessary but the way they are implemented mean they simply get in the way - it is almost impossible to pick the unit up without pressing a button. MUCH more useful would be to have the main button as a "play/pause" button.

Overall the unit is overpriced and, whilst it might be good for someone who always only phones one person, it was a bad purchase for me and will soon be replaced by something else.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6